TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #121
Allanon

Tlc, please give more information. What video player were you using to access Tivo Proxy Server? Did this happen while the video was playing or before seeing any of the video? Did TivoDecode start? Describe what you were doing when the error occurred.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #122
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Tlc, please give more information. What video player were you using to access Tivo Proxy Server? Did this happen while the video was playing or before seeing any of the video? Did TivoDecode start? Describe what you were doing when the error occurred.
The Broken pipe (SIGPIPE) happened when I was trying to test through a ssh tunnel from work with VLC. We have a crappy connection at work, so I can imagine the pipe getting full. But IIRC, that should give EWOULDBLOCK, not SIGIPIPE. (I don't know python does with these though.)

I saw zero video, but based on my print statements, the read/write loop ran MANY times before the exception.

Today I tested at home and it worked. But sometimes the connection fails (and VLC tries the next one). Sometimes it fails for many before one catches. VLC writes:
Quote:
[0x107da27d0] main access error: connection failed: Connection refused
[0x107da27d0] access_http access error: cannot connect to 192.168.1.222:10000
[0x107da27d0] access_mms access error: cannot connect to 192.168.1.222:10000
[0x10ae24100] main input error: open of `http://192.168.1.222:10000/download/...aying&id=83290' failed
[0x107da27d0] access_http access error: cannot connect to 192.168.1.222:10000
[0x107da27d0] access_mms access error: cannot connect to 192.168.1.222:10000
[0x10ae24100] main input error: open of `http://192.168.1.222:10000/download/...aying&id=80700' failed

Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #123
telemark

Most internet connections will have trouble keeping up with an HD stream coming from a Tivo. Keep in mind, Tivo Corp invented the Stream for this reason.

Using an SSH tunnel will limit the bandwidth available even more.

I would test the bandwidth available between those two points over SSH before thinking there's anything wrong with the software.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:39 AM   #124
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
The Broken pipe (SIGPIPE) happened when I was trying to test through a ssh tunnel from work with VLC. We have a crappy connection at work, so I can imagine the pipe getting full. But IIRC, that should give EWOULDBLOCK, not SIGIPIPE. (I don't know python does with these though.)

I saw zero video, but based on my print statements, the read/write loop ran MANY times before the exception.
I guess the pipe can be overflowing. TivoDecode may be decoding the video faster than it can be sent through the SSH tunnel making the pipe back up and overflow. I only have a Tivo HD which doesn't have very fast video streaming so this isn't a problem for me but if you have a newer Tivo that can stream fast then maybe this is your problem.

Right now there is no buffering on the pipe but you can change bufsize to -1 in the following code and it will add a buffer:
Code:
decode = subprocess.Popen(cmd, shell=False,bufsize=0,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
Today I tested at home and it worked. But sometimes the connection fails
The connection fails and VLC skips when the video is copy protected but I don't get those errors. You might try rebooting the Tivo.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote