Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #121
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
The movie actually turned me around on Logan. Beforehand I was Team Neither, but he's mostly grown up and matured. Still has nagging rage issues, but he tries to do the right thing now.
Even during the series, he wanted to do the right thing, just in the wrong way; e.g. hiring a bodyguard for Veronica without her knowledge; getting himself arrested just so he could beat the snot out of people who posed a threat to her.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #122
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Yes, he certainly evolved from the pycho guy he was in the first few eps of S1. They had to redeem him somehow once they realized the crazy on-screen chemistry that KB and Jason Dohring had.

And you're right - his heart was nearly always in the right place in the later seasons, it's just that he didn't know how to handle his emotions. He needed (and probably still needs it) intensive psychotherapy.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #123
johnperkins21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Even during the series, he wanted to do the right thing, just in the wrong way; e.g. hiring a bodyguard for Veronica without her knowledge; getting himself arrested just so he could beat the snot out of people who posed a threat to her.
I'm not sure how physically threatening her with a crowbar and smashing in her car is "doing the right thing", but ok. I don't have an issue with him being the "bad boy", it's more that he's a violent psychopath who should be in prison or a mental institution. There is zero difference between him and his father, and the way they've created the character is that he is absolutely capable of murdering Veronica at any minute the same way his dad killed Lilly.

I like Piz as a character and don't find him boring. He's smart, funny, and a good guy. I'm on Team Piz because I like Piz, but I'm not against Veronica being self-destructive. I think a relationship with Dick would be cool, or even Weevil. Logan is just a psychotic, wealthy through no effort of his own, d-bag that represents the absolute worst of humanity.

The only character on the show that is more evil is his father, who he is basically a carbon copy of.
johnperkins21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #124
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Team Logan for the win.

Logan most definitely has grown considerably over the last 10 years. There wasn't a single time over the course of this movie that Logan wasn't holding Veronica with the utmost respect and decency anyone could hope for. He was truly grateful to have someone so special in his life, in any way. Their relationship had an underlying passion, even when there was absolutely nothing sexual going on. Some combination of their history, reasons for moving apart, growing up and experiencing life without each other around in the same way, and coming to understand the important parts of their history and where they did things wrong.

When Veronica is in investigation mode, she is most comfortable with everything. I'm not sure she could even operate within the confines of any role in law enforcement. And when it's happening to her friends or family, nothing can stop her. Anyone who knows Veronica, and anyone who loves Veronica has to accept that. They may wish she would choose something "safer" and they may have their own opinions about her choice of a partner based on their outside view of that partner, but she cannot be happy living to other people's expectations or dreams. She has a path. She follows it well.

Piz has many nice qualities, too. But there's really just no passion there between the two of them. And when push comes to shove, Piz doesn't respect Veronica. Piz can't understand her relationship to the world, to her friends and to her family. In a similar way he is trying to create a certain image of Veronica to his parents, he is looking for Veronica to place his needs first, however superficial, over her own choices. In the 10 years he's known her and the 1-2 years they've been dating, on or off, he hasn't really learned what drives Veronica, and what passions she has for things in life, and how she relates to people around her. He's more of a "at this age I should be doing this, then at this age I should get engaged and have this kind of job, and at this age we should have kids, et. al., and my fiance should defer to me, and my wife should cook a big family dinner for each holiday, and we have to start a family of 2.3 kids X years after getting married" type of person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #125
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
I'm not sure how physically threatening her with a crowbar and smashing in her car is "doing the right thing", but ok. I don't have an issue with him being the "bad boy", it's more that he's a violent psychopath who should be in prison or a mental institution. There is zero difference between him and his father, and the way they've created the character is that he is absolutely capable of murdering Veronica at any minute the same way his dad killed Lilly.
There's a *significant* difference between the Logan of S1, Eps 1-10 or so, and the Logan of the rest of the series. Those moments that you mentioned all took place in the first half of S1. In the beginning, he was a crazy psycho teen, and everyone involved with the show admits it. They also admit that once they saw the crazy chemistry between KB and Dohring they basically retconned the character, and the Logan you see from the middle-end of S1 through the rest of the series is a much different character.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #126
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Yes, rewatching season 1 it is very hard to remember how I could have ever liked Logan because he seemed like an irredeemable as*hole. But somehow they managed to redeem him and so I just go along with the retcon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #127
StacieH
betativowho??

I just checked the Audible app on my phone, and my preorder of the first VM book (narrated by KB) is there. Downloading it now!
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #128
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I started reading it last night. A little odd to be "consuming" VM in this form.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #129
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
(narrated by KB)
Back up the bus.

I haven't listened to an audio book (other than David Sedaris) in years. May need to reconsider.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #130
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Wow! You intentionally listened to an audio book read by David Sedaris? You must have quite the constitution. I've always assumed Sedaris is some sort of Lovecraftian demon whose grating voice was sent to Earth to drive people insane with anger and revulsion.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #131
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

His voice makes his writing ten times funnier.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #132
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Back up the bus.

I haven't listened to an audio book (other than David Sedaris) in years. May need to reconsider.

First five minutes is on YouTube as a sampler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ynLSsxhzyo

-Andrew
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #133
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
This, plus x10!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #134
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I loved "Me Talk Funny One Day".

There's an Entertainment Week "story" on Bonnie DeVille's 28th birthday party, with some backstory and clues.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #135
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I started reading it last night. A little odd to be "consuming" VM in this form.
I'm really enjoying it! The story is good, and KB (as I expected) is a wonderful narrator.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #136
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Ten times zero is still zero.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #137
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton911 View Post
Only the Samsung jumped at me until you guys mentioned the drinks. The drink names seem more realistic. I don't see all electronics with Samsung logo all day long, but I hear people say brand drink names.
Back on the subject of product placement in the movie (especially Samsung):

I was scanning the credits last night for something and noticed the usual disclaimer at the end of the crawl:

"Similarity to actual people, places, and products is not intentional." (emphasis mine)

That made me chuckle.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #138
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
"Similarity to actual people, places, and products is not intentional." (emphasis mine)
Their lawyers assured them the technical difference between "similar" and "identical" covered them
Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #139
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

OK, my wife and I just finished 3 seasons of VM plus the movie. Where do we go for something similar? We're getting withdrawal already.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #140
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
OK, my wife and I just finished 3 seasons of VM plus the movie. Where do we go for something similar? We're getting withdrawal already.
Have you read the book?

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #141
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I got distracted by some things and put the book down, but I'll have it finished shortly. I'd like to discuss it somewhere here... I have a number of thoughts.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #142
hummingbird_206

Quote:
I got distracted by some things and put the book down, but I'll have it finished shortly. I'd like to discuss it somewhere here... I have a number of thoughts.
Please start a separate thread to discuss the book! I plan to read it, but haven't yet and don't want it to be spoiled. thanks!

ETA, oh, but do include a link here so folks can find it.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #143
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I just did the same thing. I re-watched the series and finally watched the movie last night. I turned on the TV today and realized I had nothing to watch.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #144
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I just started the (audio) book.

I'm only listening to it before I go to sleep so it'll probably take me a while.