TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
need_dvr

Web interface doesn't show all programs

I've just upgraded from a TiVo Series 3 to a Roamio. When I access the program list on my old Series 3 through a web browser using the URL "https://<TivoIPAddr>/nowplaying/index.html" (after logging in with my MAK of course), it properly shows all the programs stored on it. When I try to access the program list on the Roamio in the same way, it only shows the 50 most recently recorded items. The bottom of the page says "50 items, (out of 62 total items)" with no way to access the missing items.

An item in this case mean either a program or a folder. If I switch to a folderless view using the link labeled "classic" at the bottom of the page to produce the URL "https://<TivoIPAddr>/nowplaying/index.html?Recurse=Yes", the behavior is the same: the browser only shows the most recent 50 programs, along with a message at the bottom declaring "50 items, (out of 193 total items)".

As suggested in other posts, I have tried adding qualifiers to the URL like "&ItemCount=200" to extend the item count or "&AnchorOffset=51&ItemCount=50" to move to the next page of items, but the Roamio simply ignores all of these qualifiers.

Any ideas?

need_dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
moyekj

It works for XML style listings (which only returns 16 items at most per query):
Code:
https://<IP>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
need_dvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It works for XML style listings (which only returns 16 items at most per query):
Code:
https://<IP>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=16

This does appear to work, although looking at raw XML is less than optimal. The browser (either IE or Firefox) displays raw XML, but at least Firefox also displays a message at the top of the page saying:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Is there perhaps a Firefox plugin which might make the raw XML a bit more readable?

BTW, using the program download link buried in the XML will download the MPEG.PS format version of the program. I can force download of the MPEG.TS format instead by appending "&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts" to the end of the download URL.

Last edited by need_dvr; 03-20-2014 at 06:04 PM.
need_dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
WhyTivo?

Same problem- only 50 listings

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_dvr View Post
I've just upgraded from a TiVo Series 3 to a Roamio. When I access the program list on my old Series 3 through a web browser using the URL "https://<TivoIPAddr>/nowplaying/index.html" (after logging in with my MAK of course), it properly shows all the programs stored on it. When I try to access the program list on the Roamio in the same way, it only shows the 50 most recently recorded items. The bottom of the page says "50 items, (out of 62 total items)" with no way to access the missing items.

An item in this case mean either a program or a folder. If I switch to a folderless view using the link labeled "classic" at the bottom of the page to produce the URL "https://<TivoIPAddr>/nowplaying/index.html?Recurse=Yes", the behavior is the same: the browser only shows the most recent 50 programs, along with a message at the bottom declaring "50 items, (out of 193 total items)".

As suggested in other posts, I have tried adding qualifiers to the URL like "&ItemCount=200" to extend the item count or "&AnchorOffset=51&ItemCount=50" to move to the next page of items, but the Roamio simply ignores all of these qualifiers.

Any ideas?
Did you ever figure out a work around to this? The "Now Playing" page is not a Tivo supported method, so they cannot provide any help. It is strange there is no "Next page" or "Page 2,3,4.." link to click on so we can view every show on the Tivo box. Thanks.

WhyTivo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyTivo? View Post
Did you ever figure out a work around to this? The "Now Playing" page is not a Tivo supported method, so they cannot provide any help. It is strange there is no "Next page" or "Page 2,3,4.." link to click on so we can view every show on the Tivo box. Thanks.
What are you trying to do? There are about 100 tools and utilities built over the last decade to give you a listing of content via the web - simply using the Now Playing URL won't bring you much value.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #6
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
What are you trying to do? There are about 100 tools and utilities built over the last decade to give you a listing of content via the web - simply using the Now Playing URL won't bring you much value.
Thanks for the fast reply. I want to copy some shows from the Tivo box to my computer. Once the .Tivo files are on the hard drive, I want to convert them to a standard viewing format that other media players will recognize and play correctly. I also may burn them to a DVD for viewing on a television.

The old Tivo Desktop app is nice, but it's pathetically slow despite hardwire connections for both the Tivo and the computer.

The kmttg program is an overdeveloped mess. It's produces a .mgp file which is not a universal format. The encoding feature only burdens the program more causing it to fail.

The pytivo program is also a convoluted pain which failed completely. I couldn't even see any programs to pull. Despite deleting the files, my computer now shows up in the Tivo "My Shows" list and I can't get rid of it (I don't need to view anything on a Tivo from my computer.

Tivodecode has terrible instructions which leaves the user with too much guessing on what to do or how to troubleshoot.

I took a screen grab of my computer specs which are included as an attachment (Windows 7 HP, 64 bit Intel). I'm more than happy to try some of the utilities you spoke of. Thanks for the help

Attached Images
File Type: jpg computer specs.jpg (23.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Use either KMTTG, PyTiVo or tivo desktop to accomplish that. I recommend KMTTG.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
WhyTivo?

[QUOTE=bradleys;10486177]Use either KMTTG, PyTiVo or tivo desktop to accomplish that. I recommend KMTTG.

As described in my previous post, those programs are too convoluted and/or problematic. If there are 100 different utilities available for transferring Tivo shows to a computer, I'm very open to trying them provided they're user friendly and are not bogged down with an overload of unnecessary and confusing programming, components or functions. Thanks for your time on my issue.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

[QUOTE=WhyTivo?;10486510]
Quote:
Use either KMTTG, PyTiVo or tivo desktop to accomplish that. I recommend KMTTG.

As described in my previous post, those programs are too convoluted and/or problematic. If there are 100 different utilities available for transferring Tivo shows to a computer, I'm very open to trying them provided they're user friendly and are not bogged down with an overload of unnecessary and confusing programming, components or functions. Thanks for your time on my issue.
Well, you cannot directly transfer without a tool. If you are looking for the simplest possible tool - that would be TiVo Desktop. I choose it as the simplest because it both has a intuitive User Interface and minimal functionality.

After TiVo desktop, I would suggest KMTTG. It is very simple to install and takes very little effort use. It only comes second because it offers significantly more functionality and with functionality comes additional complexity.

Those are your options...

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
reneg

You may have to invest more time and effort to get the desired end results. If your end target is burning DVDs, you might also consider VideoRedo TVSuite in combination with Tivo Desktop or KMTTG.

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
WhyTivo?

[QUOTE=bradleys;10486545]
Quote:

Well, you cannot directly transfer without a tool.
I know that. That's why I said I'm willing to try various utilities among the 100 you mentioned.

Quote:
If you are looking for the simplest possible tool - that would be TiVo Desktop. I choose it as the simplest because it both has a intuitive User Interface and minimal functionality.
I know that too. As I said, the download speed resembles dial-up which is agonizingly slow despite wired connectivity for the Tivo and my computer.

Quote:
After TiVo desktop, I would suggest KMTTG. It is very simple to install and takes very little effort use.
I disagree. As I said in my earlier reply, it has a thorough GUI, but there are a million different functions (options, tabs, radio buttons, check boxes, etc.), some of which are very confusing and/or unnecessary. Much like Tivo Desktop, it is also pathetically slow. It also crashes/fails half the time with errors that are too confusing to diagnose and correct. Then there's the obscure .mgp format which is not a standard, universal format used by media players.

Quote:
It only comes second because it offers significantly more functionality and with functionality comes additional complexity.
See previous paragraph. If there are a 100 utilities available, there must be at least one which is reliable and simplistic enough for this purpose.

Quote:
Those are your options...
Only two options to transfer Tivo files to a computer? What happened to the 100 options referenced earlier?

Last edited by WhyTivo?; 04-27-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
You may have to invest more time and effort to get the desired end results. If your end target is burning DVDs, you might also consider VideoRedo TVSuite in combination with Tivo Desktop or KMTTG.
Thanks for joining the discussion!

Burning DVD's is the last thing on my mind right now. That's merely an open ended extra I may consider later on. The priority is to transfer the shows from the Tivo box to my computer successfully.

If there is even a half decent means of transfer, that would be ideal since KMTTG and Tivo Desktop speeds resemble 1990's dial-up. The KMTTG utility is an example of too much of a good thing. The plethora of functions and options only create more possibilities for failed attempts with a multitude of errors to encounter, diagnose and correct. The media player unfriendly .mgp format is counter productive, requiring encoding which only increases file transfer failures.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
bradleys
It'll be fine....

[QUOTE=WhyTivo?;10486603]
Quote:

I know that. That's why I said I'm willing to try various utilities among the 100 you mentioned.

I know that too. As I said, the download speed resembles dial-up which is agonizingly slow despite wired connectivity for the Tivo and my computer.

I disagree. As I said in my earlier reply, it has a thorough GUI, but there are a million different functions (options, tabs, radio buttons, check boxes, etc.), some of which are very confusing and/or unnecessary. Much like Tivo Desktop, it is also pathetically slow. It also crashes/fails half the time with errors that are too confusing to diagnose and correct. Then there's the obscure .mgp format which is not a standard, universal format used by media players.

See previous paragraph. If there are a 100 utilities available, there must be at least one which is reliable and simplistic enough for this purpose.

Only two options to transfer Tivo files to a computer? What happened to the 100 options referenced earlier?
Other options are command line tools or tools that require a lot more setup. It appears you are out of option. You are going to find the time it takes to move and decrypt a file is consistent across all these tools.

Good luck - sorry the community developed tools don't meet your expectations.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
WhyTivo?

[QUOTE=bradleys;10486652]
Quote:

Other options are command line tools or tools that require a lot more setup. It appears you are out of option. You are going to find the time it takes to move and decrypt a file is consistent across all these tools.

Good luck - sorry the community developed tools don't meet your expectations.
My expectations are very low. They only require simplistic, limited functionality to do nothing more than a file transfer, so it's counter intuitive that only complex, sophisticated software are available in 2015. The dial up transfer speed is even more shocking considering all the IT advancements made over the years. One would think such limits would be long obsolete by now.

Thanks for trying

Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Thanks for joining the discussion!

Burning DVD's is the last thing on my mind right now. That's merely an open ended extra I may consider later on. The priority is to transfer the shows from the Tivo box to my computer successfully.

If there is even a half decent means of transfer, that would be ideal since KMTTG and Tivo Desktop speeds resemble 1990's dial-up. The KMTTG utility is an example of too much of a good thing. The plethora of functions and options only create more possibilities for failed attempts with a multitude of errors to encounter, diagnose and correct. The media player unfriendly .mgp format is counter productive, requiring encoding which only increases file transfer failures.
Let's back up.

1) If you are just downloading a .tivo file(with no other conversion), then download speeds should be more or less comparable between all of pytivo, tivo desktop, and kmttg. If they aren't, there's something amiss.

2) Where are you getting ".mgp" from? I'm not familiar with it. If you ask kmttg to decrypt, then you should get a .mpg(MPEG2) file, which is a very popular standard(albeit, it's an older standard and neither suited to nor well-supported by mobile and modern streaming devices). kmttg can *optionally* transcode to more modern codecs, like h.264/mp4. You could also use many other transcoding tools to do this step, once you have vanilla mpeg2.

I also haven't experienced many (any?) issues using kmttg to do simple tasks like transferring and decrypting many many files. These functions of kmttg are widely used and well-tested at this point. If you're having serious errors just transferring/decrypting, please post them because it could be something easy to troubleshoot.

A Web app for Roku Remote Control

Last edited by gonzotek; 04-27-2015 at 05:59 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Let's back up.

1) If you are just downloading a .tivo file(with no other conversion), then download speeds should be more or less comparable between all of pytivo, tivo desktop, and kmttg. If they aren't, there's something amiss.
Thanks for joining in. The download speeds are comparable among the utilities. The problem is the dial-up like speeds of them. Should it take almost a half hour to transfer a 250mb file?

Quote:
2) Where are you getting ".mgp" from? I'm not familiar with it. If you ask kmttg to decrypt, then you should get a .mpg(MPEG2) file, which is a very popular standard(albeit, it's an older standard and neither suited to nor well-supported by mobile and modern streaming devices). kmttg can *optionally* transcode to more modern codecs, like h.264/mp4. You could also use many other transcoding tools to do this step, once you have vanilla mpeg2.
I already deleted the file made by kmttg. I'm in the process of doing another decrypt/transfer to verify. I tried Windows Media Player but it had major problems playing the file. Attempts to convert it to WMV or MP4 resulted in sound only files as if MP3 was selected (it wasn't).

Quote:
I also haven't experienced many (any?) issues using kmttg to do simple tasks like transferring and decrypting many many files. These functions of kmttg are widely used and well-tested at this point. If you're having serious errors just transferring/decrypting, please post them because it could be something easy to troubleshoot.
The first attempt failed but the error message seems to have been erased after closing the program so I don't know which one it could have been. The "captions" box was checked, so I unchecked it and the second attempt worked despite the snails pace for transfer. The odd means of having to launch the program with a .jar executable is also unusual. A kmttg "lite" version without the countless options and selections littering the utility would be most welcome.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Let's back up.

Aren't some of the paths redundant? What is the File Browser? I don't understand "the file browser to start from" option. I assume the QS fix, mpeg cut and encode fields can be left blank?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #18
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
The old Tivo Desktop app is nice, but it's pathetically slow despite hardwire connections for both the Tivo and the computer.
The limiting factor on transfer speed is the TiVo itself (not to mention the immense size of the files). You're not going to see any improvement by changing software, nor by using the web interface.

Quote:
The pytivo program is also a convoluted pain which failed completely.
That sounds like a PEBKAC issue.

Last edited by wmcbrine; 04-27-2015 at 10:13 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #19
HerronScott

Quote:
Thanks for joining in. The download speeds are comparable among the utilities. The problem is the dial-up like speeds of them. Should it take almost a half hour to transfer a 250mb file?
You have some other problem in your environment if it's taking half an hour to transfer 250MB (I'm very curious what show you have on your TiVo that's only 250MB in size)? My ancient S3 OLED transfers a 30 minute HD show which is approximately 2GB using the free version of TiVo Desktop in 20 minutes (1996MB according to TiVo Desktop). My TiVo is hardwired but I was transferring to a Windows 8.1 laptop that's connected with 802.11n wireless.

What model TiVo do you have?

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #20
jcthorne

Transfer speed is dictated by the series tivo device you are using and your network speed.

Using a Roamio basic and wired ethernet network, kmttg normally achieves 85 to 90 MB/s. Transferring 6GB hour long shows in a few minutes.

ALL file transfer methods available will result in a mpeg2 file of some sort that will not be playable by WMC in some versions of windows as MS decided to drop mpeg2 support. (it can be added or use a different player).

Kmttg also gives you the options to transcode to other formats that your devices or pc may find more easily used.

Step by step, start kmttg, click one of the tabs corresponding to your tivo device, select a show. At the top, select decrypt only, and start the job.

Let us know if you get any errors. Play the.mpg file and let us know if it works or there are any problems. We can point you in the right direction.

If your player cannot play an mpg file, get one that does, you are going to need it working with a tivo. ANY tivo. VLC is a great option that fully supports most mainstream formats.

kmttg and pytivo are the state of the art and community developed. As they don't cost you any money, I would suggest you invest a few minutes time to learn to use them rather than badgering the authors expecting them to custom tailor to your desire not to invest any time to learn. Lots of users and the software authors are here to help if you ask nicely.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #21
lew

Quote:

You're all over the place. I don't know if you don't know where to start or if you're a "troll" I'll give you then benefit of the doubt.

An hour show is going to be more like 4-6 Gig. I don't know what show is only going to be 250mb. Downloading a 250mb file at dial up speed will take about 10 hours. Downloading a 5gig file at dial up speed will take over 200 hours, more then a week. You either don't have the slightest idea what you're taking about, you're grossly exaggerating download speeds or you have major issues.

If you download using ps the time should be less then real time.It should take less then an hour to download an hour show. Download using ts and the time will be a lot less, maybe 5-10 minutes for an hour show. You want to troubleshoot. Start by using tivo desktop. Are you getting times slower then what I suggested? Make sure you have way more then enough room on your hard drive. Defrag your hard drive. Try a new network cable. Still an issue. Temporarily turn off your firewall and anti-virus. Don't decrypt. You first want to find out if the issue is downloading or with decryption. After you get your download issues solved you can address the next issue.

I'll agree with the PP. You really have 3 options. Use tivo desktop. Use KMTTG. Write your own tools, web browsers and/or commands.

After you've solved your slow downloads give KMTTG another shot. You can probably accept most of the defaults. You may need to remove re-install pytivo and kmttg.

Posters want more features, not fewer.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #22
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Let's back up.

1) I installed some window updates, restarted the computer and tried again. Another reason could be that I'm saving the files to an external hard drive. The speeds are better and I'm getting the transfers done. It had been a while since restarting and there may have been more background CPU activity I wasn't aware of.

2) The file created on my first attempt was deleted, so I have no way to reference it. The files from KMTTG are mpeg and play on Windows Media Player. The Tivo.com files from Tivo desktop also work but the video is either too fast or behind. The caveat is the "programs" were only from Music Choice on Comcast which only provides slide show style photos since sound is the only real need.

The KMTTG program has so many options, fields and elements to it that is is not user friendly in that context. It's great to have powerful utilities and once you've learned everything, they can work like a dream. However, for low end, simple things such as a program transfer can be easily handled with a basic, stripped down utility like some freeware converter programs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by WhyTivo?; 05-01-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The limiting factor on transfer speed is the TiVo itself (not to mention the immense size of the files). You're not going to see any improvement by changing software, nor by using the web interface.
That's good to know. A Windows Update and restart seems to have improved things. Another reason could be that I'm saving the files to an external hard drive.

I did get one failure that never succeeds. Here is the message:

tivodecode failed (exit code: 10 ) - check command: C:\Users\username\Downloads\KMTTG\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --no-verify --out "G:\MC\destination folder\MC Retro Rock (04_10_2012).mpg" "G:\MC\foldername\MC Retro Rock (04_10_2012).TiVo"
read: No error
processing frame: No error
Encryption by QUALCOMM

Quote:
That sounds like a PEBKAC issue.
I have no idea what that is.

Thank you for replying.

Last edited by WhyTivo?; 05-01-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #24
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You have some other problem in your environment if it's taking half an hour to transfer 250MB (I'm very curious what show you have on your TiVo that's only 250MB in size)? My ancient S3 OLED transfers a 30 minute HD show which is approximately 2GB using the free version of TiVo Desktop in 20 minutes (1996MB according to TiVo Desktop). My TiVo is hardwired but I was transferring to a Windows 8.1 laptop that's connected with 802.11n wireless.

What model TiVo do you have?

Scott
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your post. I have a couple of hour- hour and a half standard definition programs that are 150mb in size. The programs are from the Music Choice channels on Comcast. The video (not important for the obvious reason) is haphazard by being behind or ahead of the audio. Maybe it's due to the slide-show style of the channels. It's a Premiere.

I've gotten better results after updating Windows and restarting. I save the files to an external hard drive which may contribute to the delays. I did get one failure that never succeeds. Here is the message:

tivodecode failed (exit code: 10 ) - check command: C:\Users\username\Downloads\KMTTG\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --no-verify --out "G:\MC\destination folder\MC Retro Rock (04_10_2012).mpg" "G:\MC\foldername\MC Retro Rock (04_10_2012).TiVo"
Encryption by QUALCOMM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 152 mb file sample for forum site.jpg (15.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by WhyTivo?; 05-01-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #25
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Transfer speed is dictated by the series tivo device you are using and your network speed.

Using a Roamio basic and wired ethernet network, kmttg normally achieves 85 to 90 MB/s. Transferring 6GB hour long shows in a few minutes.

ALL file transfer methods available will result in a mpeg2 file of some sort that will not be playable by WMC in some versions of windows as MS decided to drop mpeg2 support. (it can be added or use a different player).

Kmttg also gives you the options to transcode to other formats that your devices or pc may find more easily used.

Step by step, start kmttg, click one of the tabs corresponding to your tivo device, select a show. At the top, select decrypt only, and start the job.

Let us know if you get any errors. Play the.mpg file and let us know if it works or there are any problems. We can point you in the right direction.

If your player cannot play an mpg file, get one that does, you are going to need it working with a tivo. ANY tivo. VLC is a great option that fully supports most mainstream formats.
Thanks for the detailed post. I installed some window updates, restarted the computer and tried again. Another reason could be that I'm saving the files to an external hard drive. The speeds are better and I'm getting the transfers done. It had been a while since restarting and there may have been more background CPU activity I wasn't aware of.

Encryption by QUALCOMM

Quote:
kmttg and pytivo are the state of the art and community developed. As they don't cost you any money, I would suggest you invest a few minutes time to learn to use them rather than badgering the authors expecting them to custom tailor to your desire not to invest any time to learn. Lots of users and the software authors are here to help if you ask nicely.
Your definition of "badgering" needs work and so does your misguided assumption and false accusation of a lack of "desire to invest any time to learn". You have no idea how much time I spent trying to get pytivo to work and learning the features of kmttg. Your hypocritical remark to "ask nicely" after making sarcastic comments is very amusing.

Thanks for your time to address my issue.

Last edited by WhyTivo?; 05-01-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #26
WhyTivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
You're all over the place. I don't know if you don't know where to start or if you're a "troll" I'll give you then benefit of the doubt.
All over the place? My posts are narrowly and specifically targeted to a file transfer from the Tivo box to a computer, so your interpretation is off the mark. As for your absurd "troll" remark, don't bother with a "benefit of the doubt" if you feel compelled to post sarcastic retorts. Why you had any "doubt" is another matter. You should have exhibited the benefit of the doubt by getting to the point instead of leading off with counter productive comments.

Quote:
An hour show is going to be more like 4-6 Gig. I don't know what show is only going to be 250mb. Downloading a 250mb file at dial up speed will take about 10 hours. Downloading a 5gig file at dial up speed will take over 200 hours, more then a week.
An hour and 22 minute "show" from a standard definition channel was 152MB. It was from a Music Choice channel. Despite the video "slide show" effect being extraneous, the video is out of sync with the audio. The download speed reference was not meant to be exact, but it took at least a couple hours to complete. I installed some updates, restarted and things worked better. Transferring to an external hard drive is another caveat.

Quote:
You either don't have the slightest idea what you're taking about, you're grossly exaggerating download speeds or you have major issues.
Another obnoxious and totally unnecessary comment. Don't bother if you can't avoid being nasty or remain on topic with neutrality.

Quote:
If you download using ps the time should be less then real time.It should take less then an hour to download an hour show. Download using ts and the time will be a lot less, maybe 5-10 minutes for an hour show. You want to troubleshoot. Start by using tivo desktop. Are you getting times slower then what I suggested? Make sure you have way more then enough room on your hard drive. Defrag your hard drive. Try a new network cable. Still an issue. Temporarily turn off your firewall and anti-virus. Don't decrypt. You first want to find out if the issue is downloading or with decryption. After you get your download issues solved you can address the next issue.

I'll agree with the PP. You really have 3 options. Use tivo desktop. Use KMTTG. Write your own tools, web browsers and/or commands.

After you've solved your slow downloads give KMTTG another shot. You can probably accept most of the defaults. You may need to remove re-install pytivo and kmttg.
See above which appears to have alleviated most of the issues. Thank you for the detailed suggestions.

Encryption by QUALCOMM

Quote:
Posters want more features, not fewer.
It depends on the project. Some only need minimal features to complete a single task effort. Others require many options to get the job done right. KMTTG is a powerful tool, but a KMTTG "lite" version would go a long way for simpler tasks without inundating users with an overload of tabs, buttons, fields and trying to decipher and rectify error messages.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 152 mb file sample for forum site.jpg (15.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by WhyTivo?; 05-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #27
HerronScott

Quote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your post. I have a couple of hour- hour and a half standard definition programs that are 150mb in size. The programs are from the Music Choice channels on Comcast. The video (not important for the obvious reason) is haphazard by being behind or ahead of the audio. Maybe it's due to the slide-show style of the channels. It's a Premiere.

I've gotten better results after updating Windows and restarting. I save the files to an external hard drive which may contribute to the delays. I did get one failure that never succeeds. Here is the message:

Encryption by QUALCOMM
Well I think that makes a big differences that it's one of the music channels versus a standard television show. I'd never tried to download one of those before but one of my TiVo's happens to have recorded one as a suggestion recently which was 252MB for a 2 hour recording.

It did take longer than expected to download based on the size of the file (13 minutes) and I'm guessing it's due to some kind of difference between a music channel recording and a TV show recording.

I opened it in VideoRedo and it kept stopping during playback. Maybe Dan203 can comment on how it might be different.

File:
Name : C:\Users\R.Scott\Documents\My TiVo Recordings\MC Rap (Recorded May 2, 2015, MC06).TiVo
Size : 0.215 GB
Duration : 01:59:55.06
Mux type : TiVo

Video:
Encoding : MPEG2
VideoStreamID : xE0
Frame rate : 29.97 fps
Encoding size : 704 x 480
Display dimensions : 704 x 480
Aspect ratio : 1:1
Header bit rate : 15.000 Mbps
VBV buffer : 224 KBytes