TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
jjsanders281

New Tivos are kill my Internet speed - Very Frustrated!

I am getting no where with Tivo support so I'm hoping someone here has run into this...

I recently purchased a Romeo Plus and Mini. I have the Romeo setup as a Moca bridge to communicate with the mini and everything works.

The issue is when Moca is enabled it kills the Internet speed down from 15mbps to 1mbps. I also see a lot of packet loss when pinging out. I have gone through a number of steps with no joy

1. installed a POE filter on the cable line coming
2. Replaced the Splitter that the cable company(WOW) installed with one that supported up to 2100mhz
3. Moved the cable modem to a splitter off the romeo
4. Changed the Moca channels

At this point Tivo wants me to put a 2500 mhz splitter between the modem and romeo but beyond that they have no answers.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with their networks?
jjsanders281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsanders281 View Post
I am getting no where with Tivo support so I'm hoping someone here has run into this...

I recently purchased a Romeo Plus and Mini. I have the Romeo setup as a Moca bridge to communicate with the mini and everything works.

The issue is when Moca is enabled it kills the Internet speed down from 15mbps to 1mbps. I also see a lot of packet loss when pinging out. I have gone through a number of steps with no joy

1. installed a POE filter on the cable line coming
2. Replaced the Splitter that the cable company(WOW) installed with one that supported up to 2100mhz
3. Moved the cable modem to a splitter off the romeo
4. Changed the Moca channels

At this point Tivo wants me to put a 2500 mhz splitter between the modem and romeo but beyond that they have no answers.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with their networks?
Is your cable modem old? get a new one.

Your issue is that the moca network is killing your cable modem. It is not supposed to but there are numerous reports on this board about people with issues. You need to separate the modem to be before the poe filter (or you need another poe filter (in the right direction) to block the moca from the cable modem. I myself have the main line into mu house, then a splitter, side one that goes to modem , side two that feeds another set of splitters just for my tvs. I have the poe filter just before that set of splitters.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
tatergator1

For a quick and easy test, remove the POE filter from it's current location, and put it on the input of the Cable Modem. If this solves your issues, the problem is that your modem is not designed to handle/filter out the additional MoCA frequencies. Just get a second POE filter and be done with it.

Sure, you'll be leaking you MoCA network outside your home, but as a temporary test, it's not going to hurt anything.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
jjsanders281

Thanks. I'll give that a try later. The modem is a scientific atlanta that the cable company installed at the same time I got the Tivos. I am looking into getting my own modem as well. Is there a specific brand that it know to work well with Moca?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
tatergator1

If it's branded Scientific Atlanta, it is pretty old. Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta out in 2005/2006. The branding still hung around a couple years, but it's safe to say that it's at least 5 years old, probably more.

Any modern modem like the Motorola SB6121 or SB6141 will filter MoCA. Ultimately, most providers have an "approved" list, so you'll have to limit yourself to the modems on the approved list.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
AdamNJ

u can also try asking the cable co for a new modem.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
jjsanders281

I finally got it working. I just used a second splitter and placed the moca filter on one side and the cable modem on the other and everything is working perfectly.

Thanks!!