TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Survivor Cagayan : Odd One Out : OAD 3-19-2014

Well heck, I didn't want to see either Cliff or LJ go. I thought for sure when LJ didn't get the idol out that he was going home with it in his pocket. Balls of steel, and no one knows he's got it or even suspects as far as I can tell.

Having a guy the size of Cliff really changes the equation on some challenges, like the reward challenge today. There's no way any pair from the other team was getting him back first. Also, in the immunity challenge, the guy from the brain tribe was instrumental in the win. Smart move by the girls to keep him even with the merge.

I like the shake-up. It ought to be a good run to the final merge.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I thought the reward challenge was really unfair. It was a guaranteed win to have a guy pull a girl off the pole.

Cliff was a beast. If they need strength they should've kept him. Not sure why none of the women were even considered.

If I was LJ I would've played my idol. No way would I risk it. He got lucky.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
HoosierFan
Poker nut

Like he explained, if he played it then, he was out next week. He was looking longer term. If he could just make it past next week, he at least had a chance to make it to the end.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
cherry ghost

There had to be something from camp or tribal that was edited out that gave LJ a better sense of security than what we were shown. Otherwise, there's no way he doesn't play that idol.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Having a guy the size of Cliff really changes the equation on some challenges, like the reward challenge today. There's no way any pair from the other team was getting him back first. Also, in the immunity challenge, the guy from the brain tribe was instrumental in the win. Smart move by the girls to keep him even with the merge.
I couldn't believe when in the reward challenge they had Cliff on the pole twice in a row and both times it was also against a girl on the pole. No way that was fair.

Great to see some Brains win for a change!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
There had to be something from camp or tribal that was edited out that gave LJ a better sense of security than what we were shown. Otherwise, there's no way he doesn't play that idol.
Of course. That's the way they edit some drama into the TC vote. If they showed us how solid Tony and Trish were with LJ and Jefra, then TC would have been pretty boring.

I just don't understand what's going on with these players this season voting out their strongest players pre-merge. It's like they're thinking about end-of-game strategy but not about how to get there.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Dalton's recap: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...yan-episode-4/

meh
Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Players of late are thinking and playing like the ones on the show 'The Weakest Link'. The idea there was to vote out the weakest player so you could maximize the bankroll but instead people started voting out the strongest player so they could maximize their own chance of winning.

It frustrates me to see players on day 1 planning for the merge, or even the end game, by voting out the very people that can get their tribes to the merge.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Was it Alexis with the shocked look when Cliff got voted out? Anyway, that was great.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Was it Alexis with the shocked look when Cliff got voted out? Anyway, that was great.
That was Lindsey. And she and Woo are definitely in a tough position now.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Two weeks in a row they had challenges that were geared toward Cliff (last week's challenge included a basketball oriented finish). I fell asleep after the immunity challenge so I have to wonder if that played a part in that Cliff could possibly not be beaten if there are challenges geared toward his strengths going forward.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Ultimately I think LJ decided to roll the dice and hold onto the idol. As someone else mentioned, if he played it then he would likely be voted out next. Especially if the vote had been 5-2. It was a gamble based on what we saw. Surviving that vote does put him in good shape for next week should the brawn group try to regroup. I'm impressed that he has had the self discipline to keep it a secret.
Rickvz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Of course. That's the way they edit some drama into the TC vote. If they showed us how solid Tony and Trish were with LJ and Jefra, then TC would have been pretty boring.

I just don't understand what's going on with these players this season voting out their strongest players pre-merge. It's like they're thinking about end-of-game strategy but not about how to get there.
There was some heavy editing going on...even one where the words were badly spliced...LJ was in a confessional and he said something along the lines of "it's hard to trust TONY?"...the "Tony" was so obviously added from a totally different conversation...

I have a new favorite word "Strateegycal" (that's how I think he would spell it!).
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
bryhamm
randomize

Wow, suddenly the brain3 are in a very powerful position.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
bryhamm
randomize

And if the new 4 stick together (LJ, Jefra, Tony, Trish) they could be very dangerous since they have 2 idols. Course neither will likely spill that info to anyone else in the group, so who knows.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
WO312

Interesting bit from Dalton about the immunity challenge:

But, wait, here’s something interesting: The challenge only calls for six members to compete on each tribe, even though each team currently has seven. I’m not going to say this has never happened before where the number of contestants on each tribe is equal yet does not match the number of contestants needed to partake in a challenge, because it probably has and I lost those memory brain cells around my approximately 8,327th can of Milwaukee’s Best, but it certainly is an anomaly. It leads me to believe that there was some sort of challenge reshuffling going on. Maybe the tribe switcheroo was originally supposed to happen later (after one more Tribal Council) but they accelerated the schedule once they saw the Brains tribe having their collective ass kicked. Or maybe the challenge they originally had planned here wasn’t working out for some reason so they had to sub this in last minute. In any event, the whole thing is a bit fishy because they always have these competitions lined up perfectly so that the exact amount of people needed to do it corresponds with the number of people still in the game.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I found it odd that the reward challenge was played to 2 for the winner. Seemed like an unlikely small number.

Also, loved Dalton's description of the immunity challenge as the most phallic Survivor challenge ever.

meh
Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I found it odd that the reward challenge was played to 2 for the winner. Seemed like an unlikely small number.

Also, loved Dalton's description of the immunity challenge as the most phallic Survivor challenge ever.
I've read in the past that the "first to" number is often edited lower.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I did love hearing Cliff laugh as they tried to pry him away!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I did love hearing Cliff laugh as they tried to pry him away!
He sounded like a Giant.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I've read in the past that the "first to" number is often edited lower.
I have heard that as well. They may actually have played to 3 or 4 or 5, but then they edit the description so they only show the most compelling rounds.

But if that happened here, that would be strange, since the 2nd of three rounds wasn't compelling at all.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #22
stellie93

I didn't mind Cliff going too much, but I really like Woo. They should get rid of Trish--who is really annoying--and sub Woo in her spot. Also between the 2 I do think LJ is the bigger threat. He plays the social game really well, plus he's hot!
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #23
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
But if that happened here, that would be strange, since the 2nd of three rounds wasn't compelling at all.
Then imagine how much worse the other rounds were!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
pmyers

Quote:
Exactly this! There is no way he doesn't play it unless he really felt 100% safe. When your neck is on the block....you can't be thinking about long term. You have to focus on just making through one more TC.

Can't believe nobody has posted a pic of Woo's face yet. Classic!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #25
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFan View Post
Like he explained, if he played it then, he was out next week. He was looking longer term. If he could just make it past next week, he at least had a chance to make it to the end.
I never buy that strategy. "If I play my idol they would just vote me out next week". Too many things can change in this game. If you think you are in trouble you play the idol and worry about the next vote later. Alliances switch all the time. Survive a couple more challenges and maybe get to the final merge. Worst thing is to go home with an idol.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I never buy that strategy. "If I play my idol they would just vote me out next week". Too many things can change in this game. If you think you are in trouble you play the idol and worry about the next vote later. Alliances switch all the time. Survive a couple more challenges and maybe get to the final merge. Worst thing is to go home with an idol.
Also once you play your idol, it gets put back into the game and you have a chance of finding it again.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
nyc13

nyc13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Also once you play your idol, it gets put back into the game and you have a chance of finding it again.
Not to mention that you playing the idol usually ends up taking out one of the group that was voting for you, so it shifts the numbers and alliances.