TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
timr_42

Charter all digital

Not sure about other areas, but St Louis Charter has gone all digital. Must have a box if you didn't have one before. I had to pick up a couple for my S2's.

After the switch, they moved A LOT of channels around. I had to do guided setup again to pick up the new lineup. Had hoped Tivo would have switched them automatically, but maybe because of the huge number of changes it didn't.

After setup all is well, but hated to redo all my tivos to get the lineup changed.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
JosephB

The problem is that when they do the all digital switch, Charter reports a new lineup to Tribune but they also leave the old lineup in place. This is because your entire zip code didn't go digital at exactly the same time, they do it at the very least hub by hub if not node by node. So, the old lineup exists until the entire service area that is served by that lineup is converted. There's no real way for the TiVo box to know that you have been converted except for you to re-do the lineup manually.

When you went through Guided Setup again, when it asked what channels were on certain numbers it was determining whether or not to give you the old lineup or the rebuild lineup.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
The problem is that when they do the all digital switch, Charter reports a new lineup to Tribune but they also leave the old lineup in place. This is because your entire zip code didn't go digital at exactly the same time, they do it at the very least hub by hub if not node by node. So, the old lineup exists until the entire service area that is served by that lineup is converted. There's no real way for the TiVo box to know that you have been converted except for you to re-do the lineup manually.

When you went through Guided Setup again, when it asked what channels were on certain numbers it was determining whether or not to give you the old lineup or the rebuild lineup.
It was the new lineup. There was no problem at all once I redid setup. Just was expecting it to automatically change like when they do one off changes.

Just want to make sure others are aware of this. I waited for a couple of days thinking it was going to change, but since it didn't.....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
It was the new lineup. There was no problem at all once I redid setup. Just was expecting it to automatically change like when they do one off changes.

Just want to make sure others are aware of this. I waited for a couple of days thinking it was going to change, but since it didn't.....
How did you find out they went all digital and you needed to redo Guided Setup?

I'm in St. Louis and I know they've been talking about making the transition, though there's nothing that I've seen about it already happening.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

We went all digital here a couple months ago and I had to do the same thing.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
shrike4242

I talked with Charter and they said the transition is based on account numbers and they do them in in groups. My area, from what the rep said, will transition sometime starting in March. They'll send out the first notification at least 30 days in advance of the transition and when they have the date confirmed, they will send out a second one. Both notifications will be sent via postal mail and not included in the monthly service invoice mailing.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
I talked with Charter and they said the transition is based on account numbers and they do them in in groups. My area, from what the rep said, will transition sometime starting in March. They'll send out the first notification at least 30 days in advance of the transition and when they have the date confirmed, they will send out a second one. Both notifications will be sent via postal mail and not included in the monthly service invoice mailing.
The transition is based on where you live. There's no way, unless account numbers are geographically based, that it can be determined by your account number. They have to do it for everyone connected to the same node or hub at the same time. They may be doing *notifications* by account number, but the actual transition is purely location based.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
shrike4242

Quote:
The transition is based on where you live. There's no way, unless account numbers are geographically based, that it can be determined by your account number. They have to do it for everyone connected to the same node or hub at the same time. They may be doing *notifications* by account number, but the actual transition is purely location based.
They are geographically based, since the rep told me that the account numbers were tied to locations.

They're doing the upgrade in groups and by account number, since he referenced my account number when looking up when our area would go and not by my zip code.

Former:
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
JosephB

Quote:
They are geographically based, since the rep told me that the account numbers were tied to locations.

They're doing the upgrade in groups and by account number, since he referenced my account number when looking up when our area would go and not by my zip code.
Yeah, I still think it's not actually determined by your account number, it would not be done in an entire zip code all at once. By asking for your account number, he'd know which hub and node you were connected to and would then be able to figure out when it'd be done. The account number determining when it was done just makes absolutely no logical sense. It was just how they looked you up.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Do you still need the TA/Are there still SDV channels for your all-digital rollout?

All the Charter techs around here (SoCal) are promising left and right that dropping the analog channels will mean no need for SDV and tuning adapters.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Do you still need the TA/Are there still SDV channels for your all-digital rollout?

All the Charter techs around here (SoCal) are promising left and right that dropping the analog channels will mean no need for SDV and tuning adapters.

--Carlos V.
This is the point where you remind yourself of your user name and that you're dealing with a cable company.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
JosephB

Over at DSLReports there are people who are reporting the same thing (that they've been told by Charter reps that SDV is going away) but also there is evidence that TAs are still required in areas that recently went all digital.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. In their presentation regarding their offer to buy Time Warner Cable, Charter said that they wanted to "deleverage" the "switched video platform" so I think they *want* to go in that direction and will eventually do so, which is good news.

However, they are also working towards eliminating CableCard support through their FCC waiver which states that they can stop issuing new cable cards if they can get a retail product that uses their downloadable security on the market. They will be committed to support existing cablecards in the field, though, for some time to come.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #13

I'm in St Louis myself and just got a letter from Charter about this.

I'm a little confused. What is this mysterious digital equipment I need to keep my old series 2 working?

And, on their FAQ, which seems pretty detailed, there is no mention of a tuning adaptor. That would be amazing. I hate the freaking tuning adaptor. It causes me all sorts of grief.

That said, I'm pretty sure we will need an SDV box because expecting Charter to get anything right is pretty much out of the question.

Quote:
Connecting your Retail-purchased TiVo to digital equipment or CableCARD
Series1 or Series2 Single Tuner DVR:

You will need to connect your TiVo DVR to the digital equipment from Charter to continue receiving all of your channels. Please visit www.tivo.com/alldigital or contact TiVo for instructions on how to set up your TiVo DVR with Charter digital equipment.
Series2 Dual Tuner DVR:

You will need to connect your TiVo DVR to the digital equipment from Charter to continue receiving all of your channels. However, the S2 box will not be able to dual tune and will only be able to receive channels on the single tuner using the required equipment from Charter.
Please visit www.tivo.com/alldigital or contact TiVo for instructions on how to set up your TiVo DVR with Charter digital equipment.
Series3/HD DVRs:

If you do not already have CableCARDs installed in your TiVo DVR, you will need Charter to provide you with:
Series3 HD DVR: Two (2) CableCARDs
TiVo HD or TiVo HD XL: Either one (1) M-Card or two (2) S-Cards
TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL: one (1) M-Card
TiVo Premiere from Charter equipment was installed with CableCARDs and will not require any changes

Last edited by ort : 01-25-2014 at 11:08 PM.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
I'm in St Louis myself and just got a letter from Charter about this.

I'm a little confused. What is this mysterious digital equipment I need to keep my old series 2 working?

And, on their FAQ, which seems pretty detailed, there is no mention of a tuning adaptor. That would be amazing. I hate the freaking tuning adaptor. It causes me all sorts of grief.

That said, I'm pretty sure we will need an SDV box because expecting Charter to get anything right is pretty much out of the question.
The digital equipment will be a cable box. A tuning adapter would not do you any good since it will only work on a cablecard TiVo. Controlling a cable box with a TiVo is always hit or miss so good luck with that setup.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #15

Looks like there is another TiVo mini in my future.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
chrislay

My area switched as well last weekend, after redoing guided setup, I'm still not getting program information on a majority of my channels. I get it for the locals and strangely enough, HBO, Flix and the Indie channels, but nothing else. It says To Be Announced for the rest. I have tried connecting and downloading info each day, but still no updated program guides. How long should it take to roll that out? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps a zipcode that has the new lineup would work? I have tried 63104 and 63118 so far.
chrislay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislay View Post
My area switched as well last weekend, after redoing guided setup, I'm still not getting program information on a majority of my channels. I get it for the locals and strangely enough, HBO, Flix and the Indie channels, but nothing else. It says To Be Announced for the rest. I have tried connecting and downloading info each day, but still no updated program guides. How long should it take to roll that out? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps a zipcode that has the new lineup would work? I have tried 63104 and 63118 so far.
The 63118 zip has a digital rebuild lineup. You likely aren't offered that lineup by default when you run guided setup and have to manually select it. Also be aware that eventually they will kill off one of the lineups so you may have to run it again if your guided data starts running out.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
timr_42

Quote:
How did you find out they went all digital and you needed to redo Guided Setup?

I'm in St. Louis and I know they've been talking about making the transition, though there's nothing that I've seen about it already happening.
Turn on channel 3(I know not a real channel). In my area and a couple other that I know of, they have been running an information video. On the screen there is a crawler that lists when the switch is going to happen in your area.

If you have to get a box(like I did) go early. I didn't and there was over an hour wait to get one.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
Turn on channel 3(I know not a real channel). In my area and a couple other that I know of, they have been running an information video. On the screen there is a crawler that lists when the switch is going to happen in your area.

If you have to get a box(like I did) go early. I didn't and there was over an hour wait to get one.
I do have a Charter cable box on one TV (needed for the promotional Triple Play pricing I'm on), so I'll check Channel 3 on that box and see what comes up. Thanks for the pointer.

Former:
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #20
chrislay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The 63118 zip has a digital rebuild lineup. You likely aren't offered that lineup by default when you run guided setup and have to manually select it. Also be aware that eventually they will kill off one of the lineups so you may have to run it again if your guided data starts running out.
Thanks, I went back and tried again with 63118 and that worked. I think the trick was when it asked me what was on channel 13, I selected "WXPS-Independent" instead of the more intuitive "WXPS-DT." Of course, I don't know if that is the common channel that Tivo picks for the area, YMMV.
chrislay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #21
JosephB

Quote:
I do have a Charter cable box on one TV (needed for the promotional Triple Play pricing I'm on), so I'll check Channel 3 on that box and see what comes up. Thanks for the pointer.
This is illegal, by the way. They cannot require you to take one of their boxes for the promo pricing. If you want to eliminate the $10 or whatever rental fee is, you can take it back and just have a CableCard device (TiVo)

Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
shrike4242

Quote:
This is illegal, by the way. They cannot require you to take one of their boxes for the promo pricing. If you want to eliminate the $10 or whatever rental fee is, you can take it back and just have a CableCard device (TiVo)
I was going to do that initially, though they're crediting the cost of the boxes back in CableCard rental fees and it's been useful once in a while for OnDemand content that obviously can't be viewed on the Tivo.

Former:
Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
JosephB

Quote:
I was going to do that initially, though they're crediting the cost of the boxes back in CableCard rental fees and it's been useful once in a while for OnDemand content that obviously can't be viewed on the Tivo.
Fair enough, if they are not charging you for those boxes. Just know your rights and make an informed decision. They cannot force you to take a box to get a promo price, and if you don't take the box they have to give you a discount equal to the rental price. Got to keep them accountable

Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #24
hazelnus

We're on the Illinois side of St. Louis and just went digital with Charter yesterday. With my Roamio basic, i did a guided setup with the St. Louis zip code above and worked great, no problem. With my Premiere 4, I had to run guided setup three times before i could get all my channels. After that, i had a problem with a couple of my season passes that were the correct channel but didn't match up with episodes that should be scheduled to record, so i had to cancel and get those season passes again. Overall, pretty smooth transition. The tuning adapters still appear to be required.

Last edited by hazelnus : 03-20-2014 at 12:10 PM.
hazelnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

I disconnected my TA and flipped through all the HD channels, only 3 didn't work without it. So either they have a lot of the SD channels using SDV or they're barely using SDV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I disconnected my TA and flipped through all the HD channels, only 3 didn't work without it. So either they have a lot of the SD channels using SDV or they're barely using SDV.
For me, it is exclusively SD channels (like all the SD channels on the sports tier). Very few channels that I watch are SDV. However, I believe the NFL Redzone channel was on SDV last season, so I have no choice but to keep it attached. I really hope they find a way to disable SDV. I honestly think it is still active just because they don't want to go through the trouble of disabling it.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
cannonz

Quote:
Does your company have a list of them on their site, Brighthouse does here.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
FrodoB

Quote:
Unless they're changing something in the upgrade, that's far from true in at least the Wisconsin Charter region. Something like half to 2/3 of the HD channels here are SDV, including a not-insignificant number of popular ones that are included in Expanded Basic.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
atmuscarella

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
Unless they're changing something in the upgrade, that's far from true in at least the Wisconsin Charter region. Something like half to 2/3 of the HD channels here are SDV, including a not-insignificant number of popular ones that are included in Expanded Basic.
Doesn't having popular channels on SDV kind of defeat the purpose of SDV? If someone is always watching a SDV channel there is never any band width being freed up from not broadcasting it on that node, isn't that whole idea behind SDV?

Also if someone else on your node is already watching a SDV channel wouldn't it temporarily be available to everyone on the node without the need for the TA? I thought all the TA did was request the channel be sent?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #30
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Doesn't having popular channels on SDV kind of defeat the purpose of SDV? If someone is always watching a SDV channel there is never any band width being freed up from not broadcasting it on that node, isn't that whole idea behind SDV?

Also if someone else on your node is already watching a SDV channel wouldn't it temporarily be available to everyone on the node without the need for the TA? I thought all the TA did was request the channel be sent?
No one ever accused Charter of intelligence.

Seriously, though, I think they just got to the point where anything that got newly added went to SDV by default. It's possible it was easier for them to administer that way. I think I remember that they did a major network upgrade a couple years back, too, so maybe this started because of bandwidth constraints and just continued once that wasn't so much a problem.

Either way, I'm not going to complain about having a TA if it means literally every station I ever watch is in HD, which basically will be the case on April 8.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote