TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
anthonyd46

Random Annoyances Issues With Tivo Premiere

This all started about 3 weeks ago.

1. The box would sometimes flash all the lights and just continually flash them then the picture would go black. The only way to resolve this would be a unplug and replug of the box.

2. Another thing it does is shows the live tv preview in the top right but complete blackness on the rest of the screen, no tivo central, show listings etc. Again unplugging and replugging box worked or sometimes pressing the live TV button a million times.

3. Sometimes the buttons on the remote just stop responding to the box. The yellow light on the remote will flash when something is pressed but the box itself will just not have any response at all.

4. Multiple recordings have not been recorded because of power lost.

I called them and they blamed the cable signal which was at 45% the cable guy came switch the splitter and now the signal is at 90%. Issues 1 and 4 seemed to have gone away since the signal fix, but 2 and 3 are still there. My friend who has the same premiere model said his tivo also does issue 2 and 3. Is this a software problem or is the box dying? I have an offer to get the roamio basic model for $100 which is a good deal, but I only really wanted to do that if this box is toast and is in fact dying, however, since my friends box also has issue 2 and 3 I am wondering if it is a wide spread problem.
anthonyd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

The black screen bug is well known and there are several threads on this. Set your box resolution to match your tv and it should go away.

On #3, I think you mean the box stops responding to the remote and not the other way around? Sorry.

THis happens once ina while for me, but normally goes away quickly. reconnect to teh tivo service as they had a recent issue causing reboots and the instruction was to connect to service to make sure the tweak sat down on the machine.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
anthonyd46

now it did #1 again this morning ok ill try that update
Old 03-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Um....#4....um.....that's what happens when the power goes out....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
anthonyd46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Um....#4....um.....that's what happens when the power goes out....
The box was on though thats what was weird. It was 8pm last wednesday and survivor was supposed to record box was on etc green lights tv playing and i looked at the todo list and it said it wasn't record cause of "power lost". I mean it hasn't recorded cause of no power too but sometimes the box is on and it won't record with power lost.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
tatergator1

#2 is a known software issue. #1 and #4 makes me think you're having an issue with the power supply, or some other weird motherboard/hardware issue. How old is the unit?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
anthonyd46

It was bought in early 2010
Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
tenthplanet

Is the unit on a surge protector, any weird power issues, brownouts, lightning recently?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
anthonyd46

It is on a surge protector and I have not had any power outages lately