Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #91
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I did not think of it that way. If this is what was required for more VM, then I guess that makes me happy. If this is the last we see of it, then it will have been a waste.
At the very least, it will be continued in book form. The first book is already written, and more are likely on the way.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #92
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

At the very least, it will be continued in book form. The first book is already written, and more are likely on the way.
I pre ordered the audio book using one of my audible credits.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #93
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Pepsi was the only one that jumped out at me.

Bud, Bud Light, Old Grandad (thought that may have been just a comedic line), and of course Samsung.

-Andrew
Old 03-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #94
ayrton911
F1 TiVo

Only the Samsung jumped at me until you guys mentioned the drinks. The drink names seem more realistic. I don't see all electronics with Samsung logo all day long, but I hear people say brand drink names.

Funny, I didn't even think about re-watching series before the movie, and I'm glad I didn't. I think it made it feel fresh. I watched the movie a couple times now and will do it again when the Blu-ray comes out, I hope it has commentary, but it doesn't seem to list it yet.

However, watching the movie, got me wanting the series, and 10 years since S1, it feels fresh again. Sure you go "oh yeah," but it's fresh, which is nice. I didn't even remember Duncan.

Also, I had never seen Season 1 in HD, and Amazon Prime has it free right now, once you finally load it up on PS3, the Prime stream comes through at some kind of 1080p, so it does look pretty nice for a 10 year old show, doesn't feel 10 years old besides the young looking actors.

Movie was a terrific idea.
-PHILIPS TiVo -14 Hour - HDR112 - Born: September 2000
ayrton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #95
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

"Pepsi" is something I only hear in the context of:

"I'll have a coke. "

"We only have Pepsi."

"ok, fine. Pepsi. "
Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #96
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
"Pepsi" is something I only hear in the context of:

"I'll have a coke. "

"We only have Pepsi."

"ok, fine. Pepsi. "

For me, it's:

"Can I get a diet coke?"
"Diet Pepsi okay?"
"How about an iced tea?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #97
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post

For me, it's:

"Can I get a diet coke?"
"Diet Pepsi okay?"
"How about an iced tea?"

This is the correct alternate response. The correct primary response is to get up and leave and go somewhere else to eat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #98
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post

For me, it's:

"Can I get a diet coke?"
"Diet Pepsi okay?"
"How about an iced tea?"

For me it usually goes

"Can I get a Diet Pepsi"
"We only have coke products"
"Okay, i'll take a regular coke"

I like Diet Pepsi but do not like Diet Coke. Non-diet versions I am fine with either.

I did notice the Diet Pepsi when she ordered the drink. I never paid attention to the Samsung (Maybe because I have more than my share of Samsung products).
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #99
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
For me it usually goes

"Can I get a Diet Pepsi"
"We only have coke products"
"Okay, i'll take a regular coke"

I like Diet Pepsi but do not like Diet Coke. Non-diet versions I am fine with either.

I did notice the Diet Pepsi when she ordered the drink. I never paid attention to the Samsung (Maybe because I have more than my share of Samsung products).
None of it really stood out as "product placement" to me, at least during the time I was watching it for the first time -- till I started reading the thread here . Samsung devices are all over the place, so it was not something I paid attention to. And I remember cringing a bit while thinking "yuck" when she asked for a Pepsi, but that's what I do when people ask for Pepsi. So that was normal, too. Now I can accept someone asking for a Pepsi, Coke, Diet Pepsi, or Diet Coke, even if I dislike one or the other, but what's unnatural would be to hear her ask for a "Cola". I'd have been fine even to hear her ask for a Pepsi (or Coke), being told they only have Coke (or Pepsi) and then her choosing something completely different. Though I probably would've passed out from excitement over movie dialog being natural about ordering a brand instead of unnatural or forced or silly.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #100
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There were multiple scenes where a Pepsi can was prominently visible.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #101
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

"How Veronica Mars Fans Ruined the Movie Reboot for Everyone Else"

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/...ica-mars-fans/

I can't decide whether I agree or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #102
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Wired's still around? Who knew.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #103
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I didn't need to see Corny and his Etsy wallets, and as I've said, I didn't need the LoVe 'shipper stuff, because I've never cared for or about their relationship. But the movie was fine. If Rob had made the VM movie he might have preferred, and left most of the characters by the wayside, the fans who put up their money probably would have been complaining from the other angle.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #104
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:

I agree with the essential thesis: as a standalone movie it isn't great. It has several flaws, and is written as a continuation of the series. Several elements didn't have room to develop, and instead felt forced. Compared to Serenity, VM relies more directly on the audience having seen the series.

Nonetheless, I found it immensely enjoyable. I bought and watched via iTunes/Apple TV, and tonight I'm going to a theater showing. I want to contribute $12 to the theater totals to further help more VM get made.

-Andrew
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #105
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I want to contribute $12 to the theater totals to further help more VM get made.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #106
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I agree with the essential thesis: as a standalone movie it isn't great. It has several flaws, and is written as a continuation of the series. Several elements didn't have room to develop, and instead felt forced. Compared to Serenity, VM relies more directly on the audience having seen the series.

Nonetheless, I found it immensely enjoyable. I bought and watched via iTunes/Apple TV, and tonight I'm going to a theater showing. I want to contribute $12 to the theater totals to further help more VM get made.

-Andrew
I can somewhat agree with that. There certainly were thread left lose (and Weevil’s instant reversion to riding with the motorcycle gang seemed weird).

If you wanted to completely self-contained story those threads should have been wrapped up or removed. But they clearly seem to be leaving them around to tie into future movies, or mini-series, or books. And that works for me, even if those potential future stories never come to fruition.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 AM   #107
johnperkins21

Quote:
Speaking of Piz, is anyone actually "Team Piz"? It seems like everyone is either "Team Logan" or "Team Neither".
I am. I can't stand Logan, and I can't understand why anyone would be on "Team Logan". He's a terrible, awful person, without a single redeeming quality. Although after this movie I can no longer stand Veronica either, so I guess it doesn't matter. Kind of a bummer. This was one of my favorite shows, but having Veronica dump Piz for Logan just made me no longer care about the main character. I knew it was coming, but I held out hope that she'd end up with Piz.
johnperkins21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #108
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Actually, Piz dumped Veronica. Not that she didn't deserve it, but she definitely didn't want to break up with Piz. And it was only after they broke up that she allowed herself to get jiggy with Logan.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #109
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Yep, I noted that it was nice of Piz to break up with her so she could be with Logan guilt free.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #110
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Yep, I noted that it was nice of Piz to break up with her so she could be with Logan guilt free.
Have you thought about becoming a successful writer of bad TV scripts?
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #111
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

We have had this discussion many times. Many guys (myself included) would be on Team Piz (If we care enough to pick a team). Most guys don't like seeing the normally smart herione end up with the bad boy because we all relate more to the good guy.

I have always disliked Veronica and Logan, as well as Buffy and Spike and any number of other such examples.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #112
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Veronica has a habit of making foolish and self-destructive decisions. Heck, she discusses to it in her job interview, and it's the underscoring them of the movie.

I've always viewed Logan as just one example.

-Andrew
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #113
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
We have had this discussion many times. Many guys (myself included) would be on Team Piz (If we care enough to pick a team). Most guys don't like seeing the normally smart herione end up with the bad boy because we all relate more to the good guy.

I have always disliked Veronica and Logan, as well as Buffy and Spike and any number of other such examples.
It would be interesting to see how this splits along gender lines.

Team Logan, all the way. Well, since Weapons of Class Destruction, anyway.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #114
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I am a man and would say neither would be the best choice, followed by Logan, followed by Piz. Piz is the worst choice. He seems judgy and naggy and was quick to dump VM for not being there for a parental visit because she was trying to save someone from unnecessary jail time.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #115
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I think Piz understands Veronica more than she realizes. Once Neptune, a case and Logan sunk in, he knew she was lost.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #116
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I can completely understand team neither. I just can't understand him Piz.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #117
Jonathan_S

Quote:
I can completely understand team neither. I just can't understand him Piz.
I'm more of a team neither.
I see Piz as less self-desctructive for her to be with, but that's not at all the same as being good for (or with) her.

Maybe Logan has matured enough by now, but we didn't really see enough of him in the movie to know. But back in school? Yikes!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #118
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I find Veronica most compelling when she doesn't have a beau, so I ride with Team None.

That said, I found the adult, more-centered Logan to be fascinating. He demonstrates having come to an understanding of himself, and of course being a military pilot has mastered some level of self-discipline. And he's a perfect gentleman with Veronica until she comes on to him.

But then he brawls at the reunion, so... Logan.

Last edited by Drewster : 03-21-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #119
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I think we need to give team cmontyburns some consideration here.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #120
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

The movie actually turned me around on Logan. Beforehand I was Team Neither, but he's mostly grown up and matured. Still has nagging rage issues, but he tries to do the right thing now.

And anyone who doesn't like that Veronica has self-destructive tendencies must not have watched the show. Because on my recent re-watch of all 64 eps, they were abundantly clear.