TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
siratfus

Bad news for Tivo and Chromecast owners?

We can forget Amazon Prime support.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/17/a...ngle/#comments
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
spaldingclan

Prime is on lots of different hardware
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
siratfus

Yes, but since I'm a tivo and a chromecast owner, I'd like it on those hardware. With this dongle, I doubt they will ever support it. It probably wants to go head to head with Chromecast.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
telemark

I can see that argument applying to the Chromecast, but I don't consider a Roamio in the same boat.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
tarheelblue32

Get a Roku.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

According to Dave Zatz TiVo is beta testing a new Amazon app right now. No word on if it supports Prime or not, but I can't imagine they'd write a new app that doesn't support Prime.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Get a Roku.
Second that.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
buscuitboy

I recently got a Chromecast from a friend to borrow & I wasn't that impressed with it. It had limited direct apps that supported it. The only ones I was interested in are Netflix and HBOGO. Even then, you HAD to have some sort of smartphone and/or tablet to control it. No way of using a standard remote (there goes trying to use my Harmony remote with it)

Yea, I also realize it can mirror the chrome browser from a networked PC, but I personally don't want to sit in bed and/or on the living room couch with a laptop and control its content. That or start content from a desktop PC and then go in to watch it. I want something simple and user friendly with direct control capabilities.

Now, I also say this cause I already have numerous streaming devices (smart TVs, Blue Ray players, WDTV, TiVos, etc.) that not only work just as good, but some get Amazon Prime too. I guess if this was your first "smart" device purchase, it could be an attractive offer at only $35, but if you already have other devices, there is really no need for this. I would actually get a Roku box over a Chromecast. Roku is coming out with a new wireless type dongle anyway ($49) so that seems like the better choice in my opinion. And not having Amazon Prime on either of these devices is no huge loss either.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I recently got a Chromecast from a friend to borrow & I wasn't that impressed with it. It had limited direct apps that supported it. The only ones I was interested in are Netflix and HBOGO. Even then, you HAD to have some sort of smartphone and/or tablet to control it. No way of using a standard remote (there goes trying to use my Harmony remote with it)
The app support is pretty impressive for such a young platform. And the fact that you HAVE to have a smartphone is literally the point. Controlling it with a remote would... well, this is like you're complaining that you can't navigate your desktop PC with a wrench.

Quote:
Yea, I also realize it can mirror the chrome browser from a networked PC, but I personally don't want to sit in bed and/or on the living room couch with a laptop and control its content. That or start content from a desktop PC and then go in to watch it. I want something simple and user friendly with direct control capabilities.
So, you want a Roku. You should go get one! They are awesome.

Quote:
Now, I also say this cause I already have numerous streaming devices (smart TVs, Blue Ray players, WDTV, TiVos, etc.) that not only work just as good, but some get Amazon Prime too. I guess if this was your first "smart" device purchase, it could be an attractive offer at only $35, but if you already have other devices, there is really no need for this. I would actually get a Roku box over a Chromecast. Roku is coming out with a new wireless type dongle anyway ($49) so that seems like the better choice in my opinion. And not having Amazon Prime on either of these devices is no huge loss either.

The Chromecast is by far and a way the most streamlined and efficient streaming device on the market. It's not even a competition. Wanting to use a remote is so out dated... I hate using a remote.

Saying "I would get a roku over a chromecast" is like saying "I would get a car instead of a motorcycle." I mean, sure, they do some of the same things, but like, those two things are not actually replacement devices for most people. They appeal to completely different people.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
The Chromecast is by far and a way the most streamlined and efficient streaming device on the market. It's not even a competition. Wanting to use a remote is so out dated... I hate using a remote.

Saying "I would get a roku over a chromecast" is like saying "I would get a car instead of a motorcycle." I mean, sure, they do some of the same things, but like, those two things are not actually replacement devices for most people. They appeal to completely different people.
I have both a Chromecast and Roku. I like and use both of them. But if I could only have one, I would choose the Roku without question. The Roku allows you to view most of the same content a Chromecast allows you to, plus a whole lot more that it won't. Now, maybe in a few years this will change, as the Chromecast adds more compatible apps. But for now, the Roku is the way to go if you can only have one. I've also had much less technical trouble with the Roku than I have with the Chromecast. The Roku is just much more stable and user friendly.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Grakthis

Quote:
I have both a Chromecast and Roku. I like and use both of them. But if I could only have one, I would choose the Roku without question. The Roku allows you to view most of the same content a Chromecast allows you to, plus a whole lot more that it won't. Now, maybe in a few years this will change, as the Chromecast adds more compatible apps. But for now, the Roku is the way to go if you can only have one. I've also had much less technical trouble with the Roku than I have with the Chromecast. The Roku is just much more stable and user friendly.
The Roku is amazing. Yes, if you could only have ONE streaming device, it would absolutely be a Roku. Because it just does SO MUCH.

But see, the thing is, I have an Xbox One, TiVo's, TiVo Mini's, a PS3, etc etc etc.

So the fact that the Chromecast does one thing, but does it REALLY REALLY well, is not a problem. Because that's the ONE THING I want it to do. And the other boxes do all of the other stuff. The Chromecast launches Google Play movies, HBOGO and Netflix TV shows the absolute fastest and easiest. Period. Which is what I want it to do!

I am wildly confused about "technical trouble" with the Chromecast. Can you tell me more? Because it's EASILY the single most trouble free electronic device I've ever owned. It just works, all of the time, with no hassle.

I also plan to get a Chromecast to hook up to my receiver once I get an HDMI receiver in the new house... so I can use it to stream music.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I am wildly confused about "technical trouble" with the Chromecast. Can you tell me more? Because it's EASILY the single most trouble free electronic device I've ever owned. It just works, all of the time, with no hassle.
For me, it was not an easy setup. The Chromecast would not work with my router's default settings. I had to do a lot of searching on the internet before I figured out what the problem was and how to change my router's firewall settings to allow the Chromecast to work with it.

Also, lately the Chromecast extension on my laptop's Chrome browser keeps crashing and I have yet to determine why.

Additionally, while the websites that have integrated apps (YouTube, Netflix, HBOGO) work pretty well, the "cast-a-tab" feature does not. Lots of lag, jitter, audio out of sync with video, etc. Eventually the Chromecast should get more dedicated apps, but until then its usefulness is somewhat limited.

So, for me at least, the Chromecast is a neat idea but not quite ready for prime time, whereas the Roku works like a champ. My only complaint about the Roku is that Comcast won't allow me to use the HBOGO and ShowtimeAnytime Roku apps. Damn you Comcast! *shakes fist in air vigorously*

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-19-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

The only reason I like my Chromecast better than my Roku is that it's the only device I use that will allow me to use HBOGo since I am stuck in Comcast hell.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
The only reason I like my Chromecast better than my Roku is that it's the only device I use that will allow me to use HBOGo since I am stuck in Comcast hell.
Yes, that is primarily why I bought a Chromecast in the first place. I really hope someone brings this issue up in the Comcast/Time Warner merger hearings. It should be illegal for Comcast to be able to do this, and if we had legislators and regulators in Washington worth a damn it would be.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-19-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Johncv

Quote:
Yes, that is primarily why I bought a Chromecast in the first place. I really hope someone brings this issue up in the Comcast/Time Warner merger hearings. It should be illegal for Comcast to be able to do this, and if we had legislators and regulators in Washington worth a damn it would be.
You do realise that you voted for a Senator who represent you. Submit your questions/concerns to your Senator who should forward them to the hearings.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #16
macjeepster

Quote:
Get a Roku.
I agree. I have 2 TiVos, Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku.
Roku does lots of things the TiVo doesn't do or doesn't do well: HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Amazon Prime and even some Time-Warner cable on-demand.
Roku's a great accompaniment to TiVo.
You can buy the Roku 3 for $60 to $70 as a refurb.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #17
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjeepster View Post
I agree. I have 2 TiVos, Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku.
Roku does lots of things the TiVo doesn't do or doesn't do well: HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Amazon Prime and even some Time-Warner cable on-demand.
Roku's a great accompaniment to TiVo.
You can buy the Roku 3 for $60 to $70 as a refurb.
I also have all the same gadgets and agree about how great Roku is, but I prefer the MLB.tv client on Apple TV.

On our Roku we even have a webcam app to watch IP cameras on our LAN.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #18
spaldingclan

the MLB app on the Tivo is pretty good too...does the job just fine on the Roamio
Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
rondotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
You do realise that you voted for a Senator who represent you. Submit your questions/concerns to your Senator who should forward them to the hearings.
Yeah. Right. Good luck with that. I am not wealthy enough or any of my elected reps to even acknowledge my existence.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
My Senators won't do jack about it. One is a Republican and the other one might as well be. My best bet would be to send an email to Senator Al Franken, whom I have heard has already spoken out against the merger.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
Bigg

Quote:
Get a Roku.
This. I have Roku, TiVo, AppleTV, and an HTPC, among others. Now this is making me want a Chromecast .
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #22
rainwater

Chromecast just got Vudu support if you have an android device. If you aren't using the free Prime streaming from Amazon and just use it to rent movies, then Vudu is a good option.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #23
JosephB

Amazon's money is in the content, not the device. They are playing the opposite game that Apple is playing. They are making their own box, but it's in their interest to have their content on as many boxes as possible. That's why there is a Kindle app for every platform even though they sell hardware Kindles of every stripe.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #24
Grakthis

Quote:
For me, it was not an easy setup. The Chromecast would not work with my router's default settings. I had to do a lot of searching on the internet before I figured out what the problem was and how to change my router's firewall settings to allow the Chromecast to work with it.
If your firewall is setup in such a way that the Chromecast cannot stream, then your firewall is broken. It's a non-functional firewall. A firewall should only block EXTERNAL connections from initiating data transfers INTO your network. It should not block internal devices from initiating streams externally.

I am guessing you are not communicating something correctly here because what you're saying doesn't make much sense unless your router/firewall is configured badly or is REALLY old.

Quote:
Also, lately the Chromecast extension on my laptop's Chrome browser keeps crashing and I have yet to determine why.
*shrug*

Beta code. I hope you didn't buy it for beta code?

Quote:
Additionally, while the websites that have integrated apps (YouTube, Netflix, HBOGO) work pretty well, the "cast-a-tab" feature does not. Lots of lag, jitter, audio out of sync with video, etc. Eventually the Chromecast should get more dedicated apps, but until then its usefulness is somewhat limited.
It's a very limited device to the apps it has. Yep. But the apps it has work PERFECTLY and fast and better than anything else on the market, hands down.

the browser casting should not be considered a full fledged feature. It's a "hey, maybe this works sometimes?" feature. It's not supposed to be anything more than that.

Quote:
So, for me at least, the Chromecast is a neat idea but not quite ready for prime time, whereas the Roku works like a champ. My only complaint about the Roku is that Comcast won't allow me to use the HBOGO and ShowtimeAnytime Roku apps. Damn you Comcast! *shakes fist in air vigorously*
The roku is brutally slow, compared to the chromecast. That's the tradeoff... it's remote controlled, does a lot, but is slow as molasses to get to content. Love the roku's flexibility, but frustrated by the interface.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #25
Grakthis

Quote:
What is the deal there? Is Comecast just not on-board with HBOGO? I think the way it works is, they have to pay-in to the HBOGO service, like it's a channel, right? It's not something they turn off. They have to buy it from HBO, right?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #26
tarheelblue32

Quote:
What is the deal there? Is Comecast just not on-board with HBOGO? I think the way it works is, they have to pay-in to the HBOGO service, like it's a channel, right? It's not something they turn off. They have to buy it from HBO, right?
The deal is that Comcast is just being a dick. HBOGO is included with an HBO subscription, HBO just needs user authentication information provided by the cable company to allow access. Comcast allows their HBO subscribers to use the HBOGO app on the iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, XBOX, Android devices, Kindle Fire, and Samsung Smart TVs. So HBO clearly has access to Commcast's subscriber authentication information, because they use it to grant access on all those other devices. Literally all Comcast has to do is call up HBO and say "okay, go ahead and allow the Roku app to work for Comcast subscribers". Comcast just refuses to give their permission for the Roku app. All the other cable companies allow the use of the Roku app, just not Comcast. My guess is that Roku won't cough up the money that Comcast wants out of them to give their permission for it to be used.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-31-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #27
tarheelblue32

Quote:
If your firewall is setup in such a way that the Chromecast cannot stream, then your firewall is broken. It's a non-functional firewall. A firewall should only block EXTERNAL connections from initiating data transfers INTO your network. It should not block internal devices from initiating streams externally.

I am guessing you are not communicating something correctly here because what you're saying doesn't make much sense unless your router/firewall is configured badly or is REALLY old.
It is a known issue that some routers' default settings do not allow the Chromecast to work. That is why Google maintains a router compatibility list of routers that are known to work with Chromecast by default:

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../3477832?hl=en

Notice that some routers on the list do not support Chromecast by default and you have to change certain advanced settings to get it to work.

Quote:
The roku is brutally slow, compared to the chromecast. That's the tradeoff... it's remote controlled, does a lot, but is slow as molasses to get to content. Love the roku's flexibility, but frustrated by the interface.
I have not found this to be true. I have the Roku 3 and it is very fast and responsive. As for the remote, I don't have a smartphone, so what else besides a remote would I be using?

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-31-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #28
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I read the posts here and I am completely confused by the problems users seem to be having, although, truthfully, I do not subscribe to HBO and have not tried casting HBOtoGO yet (but Intend to eventually), I own a Chromecast, and have ZERO issues with it.

I have used it with Pandora.
I have used it with YouTube.
I have used it with Plex Media Server.

Everything I cast to ii, I have streamed without problem, and my PC and Router are ages old (as in 10 years old), which by internet standards, are like Paleolithic.

So, how come people are having issues?

How can I help people use my set-up to fix theirs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #29
Bigg

The biggest thing that makes me leery of Chromecast is not only that you can't hardwire it like Roku or AppleTV, but that it doesn't have 5ghz wireless. Everything else I have is hardwired, so I don't have to worry about the wifi getting messed up while streaming. I'll still probably get one eventually, since I love gadgets, and it's hard to resist $35.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #30
Grakthis

Quote:
The deal is that Comcast is just being a dick. HBOGO is included with an HBO subscription, HBO just needs user authentication information provided by the cable company to allow access. Comcast allows their HBO subscribers to use the HBOGO app on the iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, XBOX, Android devices, Kindle Fire, and Samsung Smart TVs. So HBO clearly has access to Commcast's subscriber authentication information, because they use it to grant access on all those other devices. Literally all Comcast has to do is call up HBO and say "okay, go ahead and allow the Roku app to work for Comcast subscribers". Comcast just refuses to give their permission for the Roku app. All the other cable companies allow the use of the Roku app, just not Comcast. My guess is that Roku won't cough up the money that Comcast wants out of them to give their permission for it to be used.
Yeah, wow. That's kind of messed up. I would write lots of angry letters to Comcast over that... it wouldn't help, but you know.
Closed Thread