Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
TampaDon
Don

Random reboots while playing and recording

Hi.

I called TiVo today because I started having some random reboots while playing recordings.

I also noticed that the TiVo rebooted Tuesday while recording The Talk and yesterday while recording the Today show.

The TiVo is also forgetting where I leave off when stopping a playback.

Tivos only solution was to remove my external hard drive and see if the problem goes away. They said it would delete all my 339 recordings. I cried foul and she said to just transfer everything to other rooms. I said what about all the show time, Hbo, lifetime etc that won't transfer and she said oh well. And I don't have enough space on the others anyway.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I don't think having me delete my 339 recordings is a VALID testing tool. Do you?

Help.

Don
TampaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Having an external drive only adds to the problem, whenever one of the drives fail, you lose all the recordings since it was attached. If you could transfer/copy them, they could go to another Tivo or PC with Tivo Desktop Plus (not free), or PyTivo, KMTTG.

Most likely, the external drive, its enclosure, or the cable is starting to fail. It may also be due to age, those Tivo Expander drives only last 2-3 yrs.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
SOCATivo

Hmm, my Premier XL rebooted on Tuesday also for no apparent reason.

Is this a common thing?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
mburnno

Both of my Roamio's reboot every since Tivo pushed the latest firmware 20.3.8.1.RC1-USA-6-848, before then the Tivo's were somewhat solid. Way to go tivo!!! I really hope the RC1 does not stand for "release candidate" if it does then what the HELL is Tivo doing pushing beta software out to it's users.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
SOCATivo

"RC" generally does stand for Release Candidate...
Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
jwbelcher

I've had reboots for the past few weeks too. I was running 20.3.7 when it started (I was late to receive the 20.3.8 update).
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
series5orpremier

My Roamio Basic reboots more than once an hour while watching MLB.TV. The only solution I know of is to not use MLB.TV on the Roamio. I wonder if it has something to do with the video source not providing enough data at a fast enough pace for Roamio's tastes, although my MLB.TV picture seemed HD or almost HD.

Last edited by series5orpremier : 03-07-2014 at 07:38 PM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
alyssa

i've upgraded my hdd with a AV unit..gotten two reboots while watching during the last week.

my thought was a bad hdd

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
TampaDon
Don

I think I'll wait a little while and see if a new update comes out. I'm not deleting literally hundreds of recordings over a few reboots.

Don
TampaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDon View Post
I think I'll wait a little while and see if a new update comes out. I'm not deleting literally hundreds of recordings over a few reboots.

Don
As a safe measure, you should copy them over to your PC, at least the unprotected ones. If the box get exchanged, you can copy them back after the new box gets subscribed.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
innocentfreak

Mine rebooted Saturday night. Now I come home and it is sitting at almost there as it boots up again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We found an interaction between the box and the service that was causing some random reboots. We made a change to the service last night that should resolve the problem. Please make a connection to the TiVo Service.

If you experience more than one reboot after making the connection to the TiVo Service, please email me your TSN with the subject "Random Reboots". (margret@tivo.com)

I am very sorry for the trouble!
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
skid71

I hope this fixes the issue. We have experienced between 14-20 reboots over the last 4 weeks. Will keep an eye on the Roamio + Mini's and this thread.

Thanks Margret
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
I hope this fixes the issue. We have experienced between 14-20 reboots over the last 4 weeks. Will keep an eye on the Roamio + Mini's and this thread.

Thanks Margret
Its harder to detect, but I do think Minis were effected too. I noticed a few moca uptimes reset which weren't expected.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
jrtroo
User

Thanks for the feedback, mine has rebooted several times lately after going months without an issue. I was just about to call, now I don't have to.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
alyssa

to check & see if the tivo rebooted while you're away try turning on the clock by

Select-Play-Select-9-Select while playing a recording.

fingers crossed yesterdays update solves the issue!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
to check & see if the tivo rebooted while you're away try turning on the clock by

Select-Play-Select-9-Select while playing a recording.

fingers crossed yesterdays update solves the issue!
I usually just go into Account & System Info/DVR Diagnostics, advance to the bottom for the Cablecard 1 listing, and look at Time Since OOB Tune Start. It's the number of seconds since the last reboot. 86,400 seconds per day.

My three Roamio's have been good the last few days, though only the two Pro's had rebooted recently, the Plus had been up for 52 days last I looked. The Pro's had both been re-booting at least once per week.

Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
skid71

Our Mini's are using MoCA. The great room Mini has been the rebooting culprit (at least that's the TiVo we've been watching during the winter) and was noticing at the end of programs, (the last 2 minutes) that we would lose network connection. Just about every show would display this issue.

Since connecting to the TiVo yesterday, we haven't experienced this issue or a reboot.

Forced connection with our Pro & both Mini's.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #19
crisfer

My TiVo Roamio pro was fine until shortly after an update it started rebooting during recordings on 2/10/14 it has done it about 5 times that I am aware of including last night 3/14/14. After calling tech support and my Tivo checked out fine I was given this silly option to pay 599.99 plus tax and 49.99 fee and I would be shipped a brand new Tivo pro and then I would have to transfer all 41% of my shows onto the new one then send the old one back with a pre paid shipping label then I would receive a refund of over 600 dollars but tech could not be precise on amount just that it would be no less than 600 dollars I said what I have do what and pay what this is just ridiculous I have already shelled out 600 plus tax so I told him I dint think that would work out and I would cross my fingers for Tivo to get this software glitch figured out.

Come on Tivo get this software glitch fixed already! Make sure to include a future software patch to include a fix that would not let the TiVo reboot during a recording!
crisfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
innocentfreak

Did you even bother to read a few posts up before replying?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
alyssa

slamming the "like" button

no reboots since i turned the clock on

Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
kirk1701

Good to know it's not just me.
Started rebooting about a week ago and normally you would guess it, most inconvenient times too, while recording.

Roamio Pro, no external drive.

TiVoMargret,
Mine has connected a few times since the 13th (Date of your post) I checked.
Last reboot was last night March 16th.

E-Mail sent
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
bmgoodman

I've had about a half dozen random reboots on my Roamio Pro in the last 4 weeks or so. The latest was last night while recording The Mentalist (actually during the padded second hour).

I thought this was recently resolved, but I'm not so sure.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
brianric

Had problems with ramdon reboots on Roamio Pro. Had unit replaced last month, have not had a random reboot since.
brianric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #25
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I've had about a half dozen random reboots on my Roamio Pro in the last 4 weeks or so. The latest was last night while recording The Mentalist (actually during the padded second hour).

I thought this was recently resolved, but I'm not so sure.
Now this is odd
Same time frame when mine rebooted?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
skid71

More random reboots with the Mini in our great room.

Email sent

Had another one last night at approximately 8:20pm CDT. Anyone else have issues around this time?

Skid
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #27
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
More random reboots with the Mini in our great room.

Email sent

Had another one last night at approximately 8:20pm CDT. Anyone else have issues around this time?

Skid
No reboots last night
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #28
crisfer

My crappy Comcast Motorola DVR never had this problem. Come on Tivo get this resolved its not rocket science!
crisfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #29
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisfer View Post
My crappy Comcast Motorola DVR never had this problem. Come on Tivo get this resolved its not rocket science!
Well, it's actually harder than rocket science, given the fact that Hitler used rockets on England during WW II and we sent a man to the moon in 1969. We didn't get TiVo and ReplayTV until 1999. You do the math! (I read that here in the forums not too long ago, so it must be true.)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #30
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Well, it's actually harder than rocket science, given the fact that Hitler used rockets on England during WW II and we sent a man to the moon in 1969. We didn't get TiVo and ReplayTV until 1999. You do the math! (I read that here in the forums not too long ago, so it must be true.)
I agree
Tivo don't know the problems exists till we say the exists now they know and will take time to fix.

I've been with Tivo since 2001 and each box has been the same way, when its new just like an iPhone or Windows OS you have little problems that need to get patched.

But the patch just takes time

Series 1, 2 and now 3 all had issues but all got resolved in due time and in a reasonable time frame.