Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Bob

Didn't read all the replies but scanned down through the tread to see if you got the issue resolved and didn't see anything.

The price change may not be related to your call, call them back this happened to us last year and I know I have to watch my statement again come May 2014.

You must have called them a year ago and they put you into a 1 year package, when the package is up the prices get changed and they are outrageous.

Soon as you call they will put you back into a new package again, they did us.
Thanks, that is what I intend to do. Looking at their website they still have Standard internet(15mb) for 34.99/mo. for 12 months. And if they start charging for my modem (I believe they are not because I have EarthLink) I will not hesitate to purchase my own. Payback in about a year SEEMS like a no brainer.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #32
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Buy your own modem to avoid the lease fee. I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola...eywords=sb6141
What's interesting is all of TW "approved" modems are Docsis3 at $50+ while they supply Docsis2 modems which you could buy @Amazon for $26.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #33
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
What's interesting is all of TW "approved" modems are Docsis3 at $50+ while they supply Docsis2 modems which you could buy @Amazon for $26.
Because TWC would rather keep everyone using cheap crapola than pay to upgrade to all new modems, which is particularly egregious now that they charge a modem rental fee.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #34
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Whoah, I can get Earthlink's 56kbps dial up internet service for only $9.95/month, where do I sign up?!?!?!
Several years ago I wound up as an Earthlink dial up customer after they bought out the ISP who bought out...(insert chain of ISPs here) who bought out the original mom and pop dial up ISP I started with.

A few years later it had gotten up to $22 a month (with 8 email addresses possible, including some on the previous domain which I don't want to give up, so I'm in effect held hostage), and switching over to Earthlink's lowest speed over TWC cable was $30 a month, so I did that.

I've exchanged the provided cable modem a few times (even though I doubt the problem was ever the modem, but the change of serial numbers seems to trigger something that fixes the problem for awhile), and the use of the modem is part of the package at no additional cost.

There's been more than one time where calling with a problem meant TWC told me to call Earthlink and Earthlink told me to call TWC.

If not for wanting to keep my old email addresses, I'd have no particular loyalty to Earthlink, and if I wanted to start from scratch with a dial up account, I'd go with BasicISP at (currently) $8.95 per month (which includes one email address at least, maybe more)

The reason I know about BasicISP is because a few years ago I was having cable modem problems and falling back to Earthlink dial up (you get like 20 hours a month of dial up included with their cable package, supposedly for checking email away from home and stuff), the dial up wasn't working worth diddly either.

You can sign up with BasicISP on a month by month basis, no commitment, and it's as good speed wise as Earthlink dial up ever was, and when you call on the phone you get a real human here in the US in fairly short order.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #35
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I've exchanged the provided cable modem a few times (even though I doubt the problem was ever the modem, but the change of serial numbers seems to trigger something that fixes the problem for awhile), and the use of the modem is part of the package at no additional cost.
Not for much longer. TWC's modem rental fee will be extended to Earthlink customers in the next month or two.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #36
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Yes, Comcast imposes a 300GB/month cap last time I checked. No cap on either TWC or Earthlink though TWC....yet.
Comcast imposes the 300GB cap on Xfinity customers, not Comcast Business Line customers. That is why the difference in pricing between the two tiers.

Its actually not a cap at all, its included data, extra data is charged like extra minutes on your cell phone plan. Upgrading to Business Line gets unlimited. $10 for 50GB I think.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #37
jcthorne

At least on Comcast, if you upgrade to the 50M tier of service, you get a Docsis 3 modem. You can drop back to lower tier and you keep the same modem.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #38
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Comcast imposes the 300GB cap on Xfinity customers, not Comcast Business Line customers. That is why the difference in pricing between the two tiers.

Its actually not a cap at all, its included data, extra data is charged like extra minutes on your cell phone plan. Upgrading to Business Line gets unlimited. $10 for 50GB I think.
You need to realize that your info about Comcast is local. Comparatively few Conmcast franchises have caps now, and the details vary between franchises. The caps are undoubtedly coming to the rest of us, but not quite yet.