TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #61
mrmike
Custom User Title

Speaking as a member of Team Leo (Or Team Mac, but that was never going to happen), I was a little disappointed to see Veronica falling into her rut with Logan again. That was always a toxic relationship and although they had chemistry, he was still a dbag even at his best. I get the redemptive arc they put him in with the Navy stuff but I don't feel it.

Otherwise I thought it felt like what it was, a long-format TV movie / pilot episode. And I loved it.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #62
mrmike
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Logan's Jag? That's really the only thing that came to mind.
Crappy product placement then, 'cause he was driving a BMW (6 series, I think, though it could have been one of the Ms)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #63
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Nice to see that Dick is still a dick.
And Veronica.

One thing that always impressed me about the show was that they let the heroine be somewhat of a selfish, self-absorbed dick who would do anything and use anybody to get what she wanted. And trust Bell to make us like her regardless.

And that hasn't changed!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #64
domat

I am surprised this is getting such good reviews here. As much as I liked the series this movie was boring and ridiculous. Even as a tv episode it would be far below what we got during the series.
domat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #65
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by domat View Post
I am surprised this is getting such good reviews here. As much as I liked the series this movie was boring and ridiculous. Even as a tv episode it would be far below what we got during the series.
Not sure what to say to that, other than that clearly you are in a very small minority. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 75% critic rating, and 96% audience rating. *shrug* To each his or her own, I guess.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #66
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
It dragged at times. The script certainly did not crackle.

That was the big disappointment. Low budget sure, but he had had plenty of time to be thinking out a compelling story.

Like the first Star Trek movie, it was nice to see the old folks together again. I enjoyed the experience and certainly don't regret putting in a few bucks that day a long time ago.

I'd love to someday see this edited down into a 2-parter. 86 minutes total, maybe as the first 2 episodes of a new TV series.

Last edited by Wil : 03-16-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #67
domat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Not sure what to say to that, other than that clearly you are in a very small minority. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 75% critic rating, and 96% audience rating. *shrug* To each his or her own, I guess.
Average rating a 6.6. I would lean closer to 6 myself So I am not that far off. Considering the level of fanboishness of this show right now I don't think the audience rating at this point is meaningful.
domat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #68
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Quote:
Average rating a 6.6. I would lean closer to 6 myself So I am not that far off. Considering the level of fanboishness of this show right now I don't think the audience rating at this point is meaningful.
Your assertion that the movie was worse than an episode of the TV show, coupled with your assertion that the high rating for the movie is driven by fans of the TV show, does indeed confirm that you are in a small minority in your opinion.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #69
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
The audience rating is meaningful for those of us who lied the show.

If I asked someone "Would I enjoy the Veronica Mars movie?" I would much rather hear the opinion of someone who enjoyed the show as much as I did than a critic who may have never seen it before.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #70
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I rented the movie on XBox and found it pretty entertaining. Watched at home because it was way cheaper and easier than going to the theater, even though there is one close to my house. It wasn't mind-blowing or anything but it was good. I liked seeing some of the characters together again, but some of them felt like there wasn't much point of them being in the movie other than to tick the box saying they were there.

They make you feel really bad about Piz. He is just too much of a nice guy and Veronica seems like she just can't handle being with one.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #71
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

My wife enjoyed it a lot. She only scoffed at one or two moments. I, on the other hand, was fairly disappointed. And my disappointment grows as the excitement over seeing the characters again wears off.

It just felt really incomplete in places and really off in other places. The reunion was a disaster and I think it would have actually been WAY better if they hadn't met the stretch goal to pay for the fisticuffs.

A lot of dangling plot points ate into the meat of the story. The Weevil stuff was downright odd and should have been cut once she saw him all dressed up. A lot of the other cameos worked pretty well, and I don't know why they chose to dwell on the Weevil sub-plot.

One of the reasons the original series stood out for me was the quality of the mystery plot. It might have left us red herring after red herring but it still felt central to the story. In the movie, the plot was totally stupid and served no useful purpose other than as a plot contrivance to get her back home. The economy of character was a bit too obvious... did anyone expect those three to NOT be involved?

That said, I would support a netflix reboot 100%, because the core few characters are compelling. Especially if Vinnie Van Lowe gets to give people his hose.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #72
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post

They make you feel really bad about Piz. He is just too much of a nice guy and Veronica seems like she just can't handle being with one.
It's not just that he's nice, it's that he's boring.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #73
Lori
Social Defective

Veronica is too broken to be with someone like Piz.

Wounded birds recognize other wounded birds*. She and Logan are equally battered, and they understand each other.

*I totally stole that line from Kristen Bell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #74
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Piz's insecurity led to his relationships demise, not Veronica. Dinner so his parents could meet his fiance vs. helping a friend/former boyfriend prove his innocence over a murder charge, especially given Veronica's past experience investigating such things? Easy choice, and the answer is not dinner with the parents, BTW. He should've been proud his fiance was willing to help in that way, not apologizing to his parents for her not being there for dinner. Piz was acting much like Veronica was a possession.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #75
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Crappy product placement then, 'cause he was driving a BMW (6 series, I think, though it could have been one of the Ms)
Yep. Definitely not a Jag. I wasn't paying close attention, but it was either an M3 or M6 convertible.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #76
Shakhari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Piz's insecurity led to his relationships demise, not Veronica. Dinner so his parents could meet his fiance vs. helping a friend/former boyfriend prove his innocence over a murder charge, especially given Veronica's past experience investigating such things? Easy choice, and the answer is not dinner with the parents, BTW. He should've been proud his fiance was willing to help in that way, not apologizing to his parents for her not being there for dinner. Piz was acting much like Veronica was a possession.
Agreed, but there are obviously other problems in that relationship. They were together for 8 or 9 years and he's never introduced her to his parents before? Really?
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #77
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Agreed, but there are obviously other problems in that relationship. They were together for 8 or 9 years and he's never introduced her to his parents before? Really?
I don't think they were together the whole time. It seems they mentioned that at some point in the movie that they just recently got back together when she moved to NY.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #78
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I don't think they were together the whole time. It seems they mentioned that at some point in the movie that they just recently got back together when she moved to NY.
Yep, exactly. They had been dating again for a year before the movie started.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #79
Jonathan_S

Quote:
One question: The Neptune High yearbook she picked up at "Ruby's" apartment looked as thick as a phone book. Are yearbooks really that freaking huge at schools? I went to a small school, so ours were maybe 1/10th that thick.
Don't know how big school Neptune High was suppose to be, but their yearbook looked about the size of each of my high school yearbooks (senior classes of around 350). Maybe just marginally thicker than mine, but maybe not.

In other words, like Robin already indicated, yes that's a perfectly plausible yearbook size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I know the script called it an M6, but the rear at least really looked like a Jag to me. Oops <shrug>

But yeah, the samsung thing was a little more obvious. But even on a second watching, after it was pointed out here, it'd didn't bother me.

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 03-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #80
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Pepsi was the only one that jumped out at me.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #81
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Saw it today at a noon matinee with my wife (me with my Kickstarter backer shirt on, her with a Team Logan shirt that I got her on CafePress). Loved it. Yes, it was basically a XL size, PG-13 rated ep of the show, but I don't care. I just finished re-watching all 64 eps of the show, and it fits in there pretty seamlessly, which is pretty impressive considering 7 years have passed since all of those characters were together.

I'm not the expert, but my wife is, and she thought the V-Logan chemistry was still there, in spades. Yes, Logan is bit less of a mooning smolderer now, but that's because he's matured now.

Loved the Keith-V scenes, and I enjoyed the Deputy Leo scene too.

Here's hoping that Netflix/Amazon decide to pick up a S4, or that WB is happy enough to look at a 2nd movie.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #82
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Like cmonteburns said I'm confident that boat backstory was new for the movie.
If I'm not mistaken, they addressed that by Veronica mentioning that the boat accident had happened right after she left Neptune and transferred to Stanford.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #83
whitson77
Director Level

It was decent not great. C

Sad that no one grew up in 10 years and settled down except for Weevil. They are all about to be 30 and no one got married and had a kid except for one person in their circle. I found that kind of hard to believe. Hardly any of these characters even changed at all. Maybe Wallace was a little more mature, but he could not find a girl? Maybe Mac, they really did not flesh out her two best friends much at all.

I hate saying this but it missed the mark. The dialog was there in parts. Loved her dad still. Wanted more of Wallace and Veronica teaming up. The James Franco cameo was funny and Dax.

But overall, the plot was really really thin for me and a huge stretch for most of the movie. Sheriff Dan Lamb now? Dick has not changed at all in 10 years. At what point does he become pathetic more than comic relief. Logan in the Navy, where did that come from?? It was just not believable to me. The 10 year blackmail thing. The most played out cliche of which guy will the girl choose. Piz or Logan. Seriously, if I was a woman I would start getting offended by the good guy vs. the bad boy storyline with almost every female character these days. Can someone not write that with the female lead? And the bad-ish (but still good guy) wins 95% of the time. It beats me down to no end these days.

It juggled too many storylines and none of them were particularly well written or original. There were sparks of great dialog between Veronica and Keith. Some funny moments. But it never came close to greatness for me. Which is a shame, I expected more than I got.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #84
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
A lot of dangling plot points ate into the meat of the story.
I think that was on purpose. They wanted to have a place to go in the future so they set up a bunch of unresolved plot points.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #85
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
It juggled too many storylines and none of them were particularly well written or original. There were sparks of great dialog between Veronica and Keith. Some funny moments. But it never came close to greatness for me. Which is a shame, I expected more than I got.
Oddly, it was what it was because of what you expected. "You" the typical VM viewer, that is. Rob T. has said he made this "give the fans what they want" version of the movie, with the various character beats and the LoVe shipper stuff, because the fans paid for the film. He was right to do so, even if it means it was a little overstuffed. For this movie, at least, the mystery itself was a MacGuffin; what mattered was getting the characters back.

(As for the mystery, we need to avoid thinking it should have been as compelling as something like Lilly's murder. The big arcs from the show had literally 10 times as much screen time to play out. With all the character stuff this movie worked in, the main mystery here got scarcely more time than one of the mysteries of the week from the regular show. I thought it was reasonably-well handled under the circumstances.)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #86
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Sad that no one grew up in 10 years and settled down except for Weevil. They are all about to be 30 and no one got married and had a kid except for one person in their circle. I found that kind of hard to believe. Hardly any of these characters even changed at all. Maybe Wallace was a little more mature, but he could not find a girl? Maybe Mac, they really did not flesh out her two best friends much at all.
Wanted to come back to this. From your other comments, I sort of wonder whether if the film had spent time on those details, you would have criticized it for doing so at the expense of the mystery.

Anyway, I know what you mean, but I thought this was fine. Thematically, the movie was more about whether you can escape your past anyway, than about looking forward. The characters with the best sense of self, like Keith and certainly Dick and even Wallace, are comfortable being exactly who they are and so are least likely to have changed. The entire movie was about Veronica trying to deny who she is and where she came from, only to get good with it by the end. Logan was so trying to escape his old self that he joined the service, but he still ended up being accused of murder again. His struggle goes on. Mac has gone legit in recent years, but by the end seems comfortable and happy returning to her old hacker self.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #87
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Rob T. has said he made this "give the fans what they want" version of the movie
I didn't know that. Just put down my money and hoped for something good to watch and never followed it from there.

Would have been pleased with just another episode. Instead I got this sentimental mess (admittedly enjoyable). But less enjoyable now that I know he threw the game on purpose.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #88
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Sad that no one grew up in 10 years and settled down except for Weevil. They are all about to be 30 and no one got married and had a kid except for one person in their circle.
I think that people with kids tend to gravitate toward other people with kids, and then they think that everyone has kids.

Of my "circle" in college/grad school, exactly three have kids. Eleven don't. Among my current friends, the ratio is about the same: about 20% have kids, 80% don't.

So I don't think that it's completely unrealistic that Veronica and her friends are the kinds of people that just don't have kids. Like my friends and I are.

Also, they want to write more movies/books/TV episodes, and they don't want this turning into a noir version of 'Full House'. A bunch of kids would drastically change the tone.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #89
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
I didn't know that. Just put down my money and hoped for something good to watch and never followed it from there.

Would have been pleased with just another episode. Instead I got this sentimental mess (admittedly enjoyable). But less enjoyable now that I know he threw the game on purpose.
I'd say for many of us, he gave us the movie we hoped for. It wasn't perfect, but if there is never another frame shot, I'm OK with how it ended. That wasn't the case at the end of the series, which left me so verklempt that I couldn't even watch the finale until a couple weeks ago.

(I'm a spoiler junkie. I knew how it was going to end, and knowing how it was going to end, I just couldn't watch. I just pretended that it ended after "Show Me the Monkey." )

Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #90
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I think that was on purpose. They wanted to have a place to go in the future so they set up a bunch of unresolved plot points.
I did not think of it that way. If this is what was required for more VM, then I guess that makes me happy. If this is the last we see of it, then it will have been a waste.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote