TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #1741
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChaos View Post
My Dad's TCD748000 has died a clicky dead. May it rest in peace.

Since it's a lifetimer, I really want to fix it for him and would rather not pay double for a pre-imaged drive. Does a anyone have a link to a backup image I can download and restore on to a new drive?

Thanks in advance.
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #1742
Laserguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Need a tivo image to use with winMFS

Hello,

I have a Tivo series 3 HD TCD648250B for which I need a disk image to use with winMFS.

Can anyone help me out? My original hard drive just up and died.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #1743
MrChaos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
Snagged it. Thanks! Now I'm just waiting on the new drive to arrive...
MrChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #1744
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserguy View Post
Hello,

I have a Tivo series 3 HD TCD648250B for which I need a disk image to use with winMFS.

Can anyone help me out? My original hard drive just up and died.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think this is 11.0k and not m, but it's new enough to let you put a 2TB in there

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.tbk


and newegg happens to have one on sale for a few more hours

and promo code

EMCPHHP48

brings it down to $90


After restoring the image to a drive, when it says it finished and that you have extra space, and asks if you want to expand, tell it no.

Then check the drive with

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay. At any time after that, including a test period in the TiVo if you like, you can expand by running

mfsadd



And as long as you've got the lid off, take a good look at the capacitors in the power supply--better yet, if you've got a voltmeter, check the actual DC output voltages where it plugs onto the motherboard.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #1745
Laserguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I think this is 11.0k and not m, but it's new enough to let you put a 2TB in there

and promo code

EMCPHHP48

brings it down to $90


After restoring the image to a drive, when it says it finished and that you have extra space, and asks if you want to expand, tell it no.

Then check the drive with

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay. At any time after that, including a test period in the TiVo if you like, you can expand by running

mfsadd



And as long as you've got the lid off, take a good look at the capacitors in the power supply--better yet, if you've got a voltmeter, check the actual DC output voltages where it plugs onto the motherboard.
Thank you so much for your quick response! I'm going to try this with a 1TB samsung green drive i had laying around, but 2TB sure sounds awesome.
Laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #1746
tannebil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 65
Looking for a WinMFS or DvrBARS image for a Premiere TCD746320. Can anybody help? Thanks!
tannebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #1747
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannebil View Post
Looking for a WinMFS or DvrBARS image for a Premiere TCD746320. Can anybody help? Thanks!
There's no such thing as a WinMFS image (or for that matter an MFS Tools/MFS Live image) for anything newer than the various Series 3 models, and the Premiere, of course, is a Series 4.

As for a DvrBARS image, best place to ask is the DvrBARS thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #1748
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannebil View Post
Looking for a WinMFS or DvrBARS image for a Premiere TCD746320. Can anybody help? Thanks!
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #1749
qdigital
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
hello my dads rca dvr80 hard drive crashed and i am trying to prep a new hard drive for him. does anyone have a link for the image?
qdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #1750
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
This is in reference to your post 831 as Im upgrading my Tivo Series 3.

Unitron, I need your help!

I purchased my 1 TB hard drive from amazon (WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX)

Put it in my desktop and ran WinMFS. Notice that it shows 0 GB and only 65134 sectors. (see attached screenshot).

So when I go ahead and perform the restore from the .tbk file, it says that the "Destination Drive is too small". I already tried the delete format option.

What do you think is the problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot1.jpg (29.2 KB, 16 views)
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #1751
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
This is in reference to your post 831 as Im upgrading my Tivo Series 3.

Unitron, I need your help!

I purchased my 1 TB hard drive from amazon (WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX)

Put it in my desktop and ran WinMFS. Notice that it shows 0 GB and only 65134 sectors. (see attached screenshot).

So when I go ahead and perform the restore from the .tbk file, it says that the "Destination Drive is too small". I already tried the delete format option.

What do you think is the problem?
I hope you did not let Windows Disk Management see that drive, or even format it either. If you did, you would have to delete all the partitions on the drive before running WinMFS.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #1752
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
This is in reference to your post 831 as Im upgrading my Tivo Series 3.

Unitron, I need your help!

I purchased my 1 TB hard drive from amazon (WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX)

Put it in my desktop and ran WinMFS. Notice that it shows 0 GB and only 65134 sectors. (see attached screenshot).

So when I go ahead and perform the restore from the .tbk file, it says that the "Destination Drive is too small". I already tried the delete format option.

What do you think is the problem?
What version of Windows are you running?

Do you have a GigaByte brand motherboard?


EDIT:

Refer to this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10038962

for instructions on how to hook yourself up with a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD--you may need something on it in addition to the WD diagnostic software which is on it and you need to run the WD long test on that new drive before putting it into service after we figure out why the size reporting is screwy.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #1753
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What version of Windows are you running?

Do you have a GigaByte brand motherboard?


EDIT:

Refer to this post

[link removed because my post count is less than 5.

for instructions on how to hook yourself up with a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD--you may need something on it in addition to the WD diagnostic software which is on it and you need to run the WD long test on that new drive before putting it into service after we figure out why the size reporting is screwy.
Windows 7
Yes, Gigabyte motherboard
Okay, Ill try to run a test on it now.
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #1754
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
Windows 7
Yes, Gigabyte motherboard
Okay, Ill try to run a test on it now.
I was able to boot up ultimate boot CD, however, Im not sure which option I should run. I chose HDD-->Diagnosis and found 2 Western Digital diagnostic. I chose the more recent one and it loaded something but then nothing happened after that.

BTW, should I unplug my master primary drive while I do this? The new Tivo drive is the secondary drive.
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #1755
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
I was able to boot up ultimate boot CD, however, Im not sure which option I should run. I chose HDD-->Diagnosis and found 2 Western Digital diagnostic. I chose the more recent one and it loaded something but then nothing happened after that.

BTW, should I unplug my master primary drive while I do this? The new Tivo drive is the secondary drive.
The reason I asked about a GigaByte motherboard is that some of them in recent years put a Host Protected Area on hard drives without warning or seeking permission as soon as you boot.

Supposedly it only goes onto the "first" hard drive, so that if you had a board that was just PATA/IDE, it would go on the Primary master, provided you had a hard drive hooked there, or if the board was SATA only it would go only on the drive hooked to port 0 or port 1, depending on where they start counting, although say the ports are labeled 1-4, if there's no hard drive on 1, for whatever reason, it would try to find one on port 2, and then 3, and then 4.

As I say, it's supposed to only put an HPA on the first hard drive, which ordinarily would be the one you boot into Windows with, but it's worth checking to see if it put on your new drive as well because if it did that might be part of your problem.

If it's a fairly new motherboard, maybe they've even thought of some other boneheaded thing to do to drives about which I've yet to hear.

Also recently Amazon had some new WD20EURSs for sale, except it was actually some "partner" outfit selling them on Amazon and not Amazon themselves, and the drives weren't actually new, they had either been removed from, or were intended for, external enclosures (the WD Elements line) and so were already formatted and had stuff on them. So if you bought the drive from the Amazon site, but not directly from Amazon, who knows what might be going on with it.

There's a command line utility on both the MFS Live cd and somewhere on the UBCD called

hdparm


If you know that your Windows drive is connected to the first SATA port on the motherboard, you could type

hdparm -N /dev/sda

and hit the Enter key, and it should return a line that includes 2 numbers separated by a /

If the numbers are equal, then there's no HPA, if not, there probably is.

You should leave the Windows drive connected so that the motherboard will find the HPA on it and not put another one anywhere else when it boots up.

Assuming you've got the Windows drive connected to the first SATA port and the cd or dvd drive connected to the second one and the new drive connected to the third

hdparm -N /dev/sdc

should show you if there's an HPA on the new drive.

Check that out and report back and if necessary I'll try to tutor you on how to use

hdparm

to undo the HPA without doing any damage.

(hdparm has the ability to do a lot of damage if misused)
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #1756
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The reason I asked about a GigaByte motherboard is that some of them in recent years put a Host Protected Area on hard drives without warning or seeking permission as soon as you boot.

Supposedly it only goes onto the "first" hard drive, so that if you had a board that was just PATA/IDE, it would go on the Primary master, provided you had a hard drive hooked there, or if the board was SATA only it would go only on the drive hooked to port 0 or port 1, depending on where they start counting, although say the ports are labeled 1-4, if there's no hard drive on 1, for whatever reason, it would try to find one on port 2, and then 3, and then 4.

As I say, it's supposed to only put an HPA on the first hard drive, which ordinarily would be the one you boot into Windows with, but it's worth checking to see if it put on your new drive as well because if it did that might be part of your problem.

If it's a fairly new motherboard, maybe they've even thought of some other boneheaded thing to do to drives about which I've yet to hear.

Also recently Amazon had some new WD20EURSs for sale, except it was actually some "partner" outfit selling them on Amazon and not Amazon themselves, and the drives weren't actually new, they had either been removed from, or were intended for, external enclosures (the WD Elements line) and so were already formatted and had stuff on them. So if you bought the drive from the Amazon site, but not directly from Amazon, who knows what might be going on with it.

There's a command line utility on both the MFS Live cd and somewhere on the UBCD called

hdparm


If you know that your Windows drive is connected to the first SATA port on the motherboard, you could type

hdparm -N /dev/sda

and hit the Enter key, and it should return a line that includes 2 numbers separated by a /

If the numbers are equal, then there's no HPA, if not, there probably is.

You should leave the Windows drive connected so that the motherboard will find the HPA on it and not put another one anywhere else when it boots up.

Assuming you've got the Windows drive connected to the first SATA port and the cd or dvd drive connected to the second one and the new drive connected to the third

hdparm -N /dev/sdc

should show you if there's an HPA on the new drive.

Check that out and report back and if necessary I'll try to tutor you on how to use

hdparm

to undo the HPA without doing any damage.

(hdparm has the ability to do a lot of damage if misused)
For whatever reason, I had the new hard drive on port 0, CD drive on port 2, and windows drive on port3. Yes, that does seem backwards and I didnt know it really made a difference.

So because the new drive was on port 0, do you think that HPA was put on it?
1. Do you think I should try rearranging the drives to the proper port order now and then run WinMFS again?
2. Or just rearrange and run the hdparm?
3. Or dont rearrange and run hdparm?
4. I also have an SATA to USB adapter cable that I can use as well if that helps any.
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #1757
seeb1950
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
need 540 image

I am new on this forum and my Tivo series 2, TCD540040 gave me the GSOD and is recycling. If anyone could please send me an image for this model I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, Phil S.
seeb1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #1758
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
For whatever reason, I had the new hard drive on port 0, CD drive on port 2, and windows drive on port3. Yes, that does seem backwards and I didnt know it really made a difference.

So because the new drive was on port 0, do you think that HPA was put on it?
1. Do you think I should try rearranging the drives to the proper port order now and then run WinMFS again?
2. Or just rearrange and run the hdparm?
3. Or dont rearrange and run hdparm?
4. I also have an SATA to USB adapter cable that I can use as well if that helps any.
Because the new drive was on port 0 I'm almost certain you've got an HPA on there, and you may need to leave it there as a decoy while we figure out what's going on with the Windows drive which we will eventually place on port 0, but not just yet.

Need sleep--longer, more informative post tomorrow.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #1759
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeb1950 View Post
I am new on this forum and my Tivo series 2, TCD540040 gave me the GSOD and is recycling. If anyone could please send me an image for this model I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, Phil S.

When and if you need a new image, the links are here:


http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...25#post9862325

but don't just go slapping one on the current drive that's (allegedly) giving trouble until you know what the problem is.

For instance, if it's a Series 2 or Series 3 TiVo, the odds are good your power supply needs capacitors replaced and will continue to cause strange symptoms until then.

While you're checking the power supply, you can also hook the drive up to a PC (but do not make it the "first" drive on a GigaByte brand motherboard) and run the drive maker's own diagnostic software "long test" (if it's a Maxtor, use the Seagate software) to make sure that there's still a good drive underneath the TiVo software on the drive.

Then if that checks out we can see what can be done about the TiVo software on the drive.

But not tonight.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #1760
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
For whatever reason, I had the new hard drive on port 0, CD drive on port 2, and windows drive on port3. Yes, that does seem backwards and I didnt know it really made a difference.

So because the new drive was on port 0, do you think that HPA was put on it?
1. Do you think I should try rearranging the drives to the proper port order now and then run WinMFS again?
2. Or just rearrange and run the hdparm?
3. Or dont rearrange and run hdparm?
4. I also have an SATA to USB adapter cable that I can use as well if that helps any.
The stuff needed is on the UBCD, but if I could persuade you to download the .iso for the MFS Live cd and burn a bootable copy of that, the same stuff will be easier to get to

http://mfslive.org/forums/download/file.php?id=89

and I won't have to divert a PC from TiVo show copying to boot it with the UBCD to refresh my memory about how to get to the stuff we'll need.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #1761
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
4. I also have an SATA to USB adapter cable that I can use as well if that helps any.
This is the safest, although slowest, way to do this. I've done dozens of images using this method.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #1762
seeb1950
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Thanks Unitron. I don't see anything obvious on the PS like bulging capacitors. I ordered a new drive from dvr_dude since I'm still running only a 40 gig. I will hook the original Maxtor up to a computer and run the diagnostics. Thanks again.
seeb1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #1763
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The stuff needed is on the UBCD, but if I could persuade you to download the .iso for the MFS Live cd and burn a bootable copy of that, the same stuff will be easier to get to



and I won't have to divert a PC from TiVo show copying to boot it with the UBCD to refresh my memory about how to get to the stuff we'll need.

Ok what are the instructions after I boot up with MFS Live?

The problem is that I have HPA most likely on the hard drive. I saw some articles on the internet to remove it like using HDAT2 using UBCD. Should I go ahead and do that?
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #1764
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
Ok what are the instructions after I boot up with MFS Live?

The problem is that I have HPA most likely on the hard drive. I saw some articles on the internet to remove it like using HDAT2 using UBCD. Should I go ahead and do that?
Leave the Windows drive on port2, the cd on port1 and the other drive on port 0.

Let the MFS Live cd boot to the default.

At the command line

hdparm -N /dev/sda


note results


hdparm -n /dev/sdc

note results


I'm expecting a number mismatch on sda

Maybe one on sdc


If there's already one on sdc it'll make life easier.

If not, we'll need to figure out how to make room on sdc for an HPA so we can move it to port 0, 'cause if we just move it your partition layout will get hosed.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #1765
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Leave the Windows drive on port2, the cd on port1 and the other drive on port 0.

Let the MFS Live cd boot to the default.

At the command line

hdparm -N /dev/sda


note results


hdparm -n /dev/sdc

note results


I'm expecting a number mismatch on sda

Maybe one on sdc


If there's already one on sdc it'll make life easier.

If not, we'll need to figure out how to make room on sdc for an HPA so we can move it to port 0, 'cause if we just move it your partition layout will get hosed.
Let me clarify the ports again:
Port 0 - Tivo Drive
Port 1 - nothing
Port 2 - CD drive
Port 3 - Windows Drive

Here are the results:
hdparm -N /dev/sda
1953523055/1953525168, HPA is enabled.

hdparm -n /dev/sdc
no such device or address

Last edited by fealdeals : 03-16-2014 at 09:56 PM.
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #1766
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
Let me clarify the ports again:
Port 0 - Tivo Drive
Port 1 - nothing
Port 2 - CD drive
Port 3 - Windows Drive

Here are the results:
hdparm -N /dev/sda
1953523055/1953525168, HPA is enabled.

hdparm -n /dev/sdc
no such device or address
It's always N, not n. n does something else, I think, but anyway Linux/Unix is always (as far as I know) case sensitive.

So

/dev/sda = TiVo drive

/dev/sdb may equal nothing or may be the cd drive--I've seen some "Linuxes" deal with the "empty port not at the end of the chain of occupied ones" one way and others the other way.

So /dev/sdc may be the cd drive or the Windows drive and /dev/sdd may be the Windows drive or may not be anything.


fdisk -l /dev/sda


(that's a lower case L) followed by

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

should show you what's where.

fdisk

tends to choke on things that aren't hard drives, like cd decks, which is why I didn't just tell you to run

fdisk -l

which would list all the drives except it wouldn't because it would stop when it got to the cd.


So, once you know what that instance of Linux that's loaded into your PC RAM and is running once you boot with the MFS Live cd considers to be what, you can do the

hdparm -N /dev/sd"x"

for the values of "x" that are actually hard drives.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #1767
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It's always N, not n. n does something else, I think, but anyway Linux/Unix is always (as far as I know) case sensitive.

So

/dev/sda = TiVo drive

/dev/sdb may equal nothing or may be the cd drive--I've seen some "Linuxes" deal with the "empty port not at the end of the chain of occupied ones" one way and others the other way.

So /dev/sdc may be the cd drive or the Windows drive and /dev/sdd may be the Windows drive or may not be anything.


fdisk -l /dev/sda


(that's a lower case L) followed by

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

should show you what's where.

fdisk

tends to choke on things that aren't hard drives, like cd decks, which is why I didn't just tell you to run

fdisk -l

which would list all the drives except it wouldn't because it would stop when it got to the cd.


So, once you know what that instance of Linux that's loaded into your PC RAM and is running once you boot with the MFS Live cd considers to be what, you can do the

hdparm -N /dev/sd"x"

for the values of "x" that are actually hard drives.

I took a picture of the output I got. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Mar 16, 9 16 47 PM.jpg (54.8 KB, 18 views)
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #1768
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
IF, IF, IF, your Windows drive is also a 1TB drive, shut things down, unhook the new TiVo drive to be, and hook the Windows drive to SATA 0 and reboot and make sure everything still works.

Report back.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #1769
fealdeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
IF, IF, IF, your Windows drive is also a 1TB drive, shut things down, unhook the new TiVo drive to be, and hook the Windows drive to SATA 0 and reboot and make sure everything still works.

Report back.
Windows drive is also a 1TB drive.
Unhooked the Tivo drive and hooked the Windows drive to SATA 0.
Rebooted and everything still works fine.
fealdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #1770
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealdeals View Post
Windows drive is also a 1TB drive.
Unhooked the Tivo drive and hooked the Windows drive to SATA 0.
Rebooted and everything still works fine.

EDIT TO ADD:

These instructions are for fealdeals's specific situation only, do not follow them blindly because the

hdparm

utility is very powerful and very dangerous.

END EDIT


Okay, keep Windows drive on SATA 0 to be the "sacrificial" unit as far as the Giga's tendency to make HPAs is concerned.

If it finds one on the "first" drive when booted, it should be satisfied and not put one anywhere else.


Leave the cd or dvd drive connected and connect the new drive.

Boot with the MFS Live cd

Do

fdisk -l /dev/sd"x"

substituting a, then b, then c, etc, for "x" until you know where both hard drives are considered to be.

The Windows drive should be /dev/sda, but we'll make sure


hdparm -I /dev/sda

(even if it's the same brand, model as new drive, this should give serial number)

hdparm -i /dev/sda

might give serial as well. Both "I"s stand for information, the uppercase one gives a lot more.

Then, assuming the new drive is /dev/sdb

hdparm -I /dev/sdb

just to be absolutely sure.


Once you're sure that the Windows drive is sda and the new drive is sdb,


hdparm -N /dev/sdb

which should return an answer containing

1953523055/1953525168


The first number is the number of Logical Block Arrays the drive reports when asked ordinarily (which is what "hides" the Host Protected Area), and the second number is the actual LBA number of the drive. Check the drive label to make sure that number matches what the label says for LBA.

(For this next part, note where space are and are not used between parts)


Then very carefully enter


hdparm -N p1953525168 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sdb

Note that the flag or option

-yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing

follows the

-

which indicates that what follows is an option, flag, or switch, so there's what looks like a double hyphen there.

When you use a

-

to indicate that what follows is an option, the option is entered immediately following the

-

without a space in between. Once there's a space, anything after that is not part of the option.

That should remove the HPA permanently. (that's what the p is for)

Unless the drive was still on SATA 0, in which case the HPA would be recreated upon boot all over again (which is why we need the "sacrificial" Windows drive there all the time).

Why yes, I did learn this the hard way now that you ask.




The way you properly get out of the MFS Live cd is either

poweroff


or

reboot

so after you run


hdparm -N p1953525168 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sdb

reboot and run

hdparm -N /dev/sdb

again and make sure it reads

1953525168/1953525168

Once it does, you should be able to boot into Windows and use WinMFS (running as admin) to restore the .tbk file to the new drive, turning down the offer to expand, then checking the drive with

mfsinfo

and if everything looks okay, including a large Apple Free partition on the end, do

mfsadd

to do the expansion as a separate step.


Remember, hdparm can do stuff to a hard drive from which it is normally protected, some of which might not be reversable, so be very careful with it.

(and by very careful I mean almost paranoid)

If any of those numbers aren't the same, do not proceed until we figure out what's going on.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |