TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Samsung was the obvious one.
Yup. I saw Samsung everywhere! Phone, tablet, laptop... I didn't mind it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
Was Carrie Bishop the only one played by a different actor? Leighton Meester was the original Carrie, but Andrea Estella was Bonnie/Carrie in the movie.
Yes, RT explained in one of the updates that Leighton Meester was unavailable. I was a bit disappointed with that, but since she was dead the whole movie and only on video/pics, it wasn't HORRIBLE.

I just would have liked to see Blair from Gossip Girl with Gossip Girl's voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaklet View Post
We missed the Ira Glass cameo. We thought it got cut from the radio scene. I don't buy Logan as a Navy pilot. Though Jason Dohring and a uniform was....STUNNING. I was entirely pleased.
This... Entirely.

I went to the theater to see it last night. Very cool, I'm glad I did. The energy was awesome. Every time a new/old character (like Deputy Leo!) came on, people would cheer/clap. Cool.

I liked the movie. I have some of the same opinions/questions (Weevil...Celeste Kane being the one to shoot him?!...Officer Sachs dying...Keith's new house/office...) but other than that, I liked it.

During Veronica and Logan's sex scene, I leaned over to my husband and said, "This is what we paid for" and he called it the five million dollar sex scene

I hope there is more to come. I bought it on iTunes, even though I'll get the Blu-Ray and got the Flixster code (yuck, Flixster).
gilmoregirls102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
Shakhari

I just got back from what is apparently the only theater in the entire state of Maryland showing it.

I liked it a lot. As feature film sequels to cult TV franchises go, it's no Serenity, but then again, what is?

A few nits to pick ... the bit about Weevil was a bit of WTF randomness that could have been cut completely. Also, I would have liked to know who was in the truck in the car crash bit.

My biggest complaint is that whatever chemistry Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring had back in 05 and 06 is completely gone. I could have bought that she would have stayed because it was the right thing to do, but staying because of him ... no.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #33
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
A few nits to pick ... the bit about Weevil was a bit of WTF randomness that could have been cut completely. Also, I would have liked to know who was in the truck in the car crash bit.
I think the bit with Weevil was really just to set up his return to the motorcycle gang, a reminder that he had been living a life that didn't really reflect who he is. That, of course, parallels Veronica's story.

The car crash bit definitely wasn't clear. I assume the implication was that it was someone from the sheriff's office who knew Sachs was about to turn on them. But I don't know who Sachs saw in the mirror, how he knew they were being watched, and how the hit-and-run was really intended to work.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #34
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I get the sense that RT deliberately included those seemingly loose threads -- the bit with Weevil, and the bit with Sachs -- to provide openings for other Veronica Mars stories, whether they are the books that he is writing now, or possibly another VM series or movie.

This movie sort of felt like a cross between a movie (the fact that the main story was begun and concluded here) and a pilot episode of a TV show, in that respect.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #35
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

I suspect budget and actor availability issues forced them to film in LA instead of Oceanside like the TV series.

It did make the show look very different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #36
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Rob Thomas wrote in an early KS update how thrilled he was to be shooting in LA.

I think I found a minor goof. At the beginning of the film, Veronica and Piz are in New York, where she is interviewing with the law firm, yes? And she visits Piz where he works at the studio of This American Life (which is where the Ira Glass cameo is.) Piz is shown speaking into a microphone with the WBEZ logo, which is of course the radio station where it is produced. In Chicago.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #37
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Rob Thomas wrote in an early KS update how thrilled he was to be shooting in LA.
Mostly because the alternative was making Vancouver look like LA.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #38
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

Love Justin Long and Dax Shepherd in the club.

And the only F bomb came from Ms. Bell telling Long to "F--- off."

Awesome.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #39
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

Also...in the "In Memory Of..." video at the reunion didn't show Lily Kane...?

They showed Felix Tomb, so why not Lily?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #40
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmoregirls102 View Post
Also...in the "In Memory Of..." video at the reunion didn't show Lily Kane...?

They showed Felix Tomb, so why not Lily?
Lilly was a year ahead of Duncan, Veronica, and Logan (she was a senior while they were juniors). (Source: http://marsinvestigations.net/media.php?media_id=172)

The In Memoriams would only be looking at those actually in the class of 2004 that died.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmoregirls102 View Post
Love Justin Long and Dax Shepherd in the club. And the only F bomb came from Ms. Bell telling Long to "F--- off." Awesome.
What was with the other two guys behind Madison and Shelly? That was creepy. BTW, was that supposed to be Shelly Pomroy?
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #42
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
BTW, was that supposed to be Shelly Pomroy?
According to the shooting script, yes. Not sure if if was the same actress who played Shelly Pomroy during the show (who only appeared once in a non-speaking role, during "A Trip to the Dentist.")
Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #43
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
According to the shooting script, yes. Not sure if if was the same actress who played Shelly Pomroy during the show (who only appeared once in a non-speaking role, during "A Trip to the Dentist.")
I believe there were two or three Shellys in the series.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #44
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I loved it! Far exceeded my expectations, which were low. I wasn't sure they could pull it off but they did!

I agree it was more like a TV show on the big screen, but I don't care. I think you either kept the same show and just made it feature length or you changed it to something different. I'm glad they returned to the Neptune of the small screen. I thought it worked great. Seeing all this characters again makes me miss the show so much - I wish there was another three seasons for me to watch (six seasons and a movie!).

One thing I missed was the bit of dialog when Ruby was in the talent show - she said something on the video after she started getting booed and they said she had to take her exams at home and wasn't allowed back at school. I didn't hear what she said and it didn't seem like anyone else in the theater could make it out either - a lot of confused whispers.

And of course, I am a diehard Logan-Veronica 'shipper, so I loved how that worked out. The uniform - YUM! And when he referenced the our love is epic speech - awesome. I thought their chemistry was fine - he's a little more grown up and a little less smoldering, so it was sizzling, but it was plenty hot enough for me. I felt bad for Piz though. Chris Lowell did a great job with that scene.

I knew I recognized Cobb but thought I should remember him from the show, didn't realize it was Martin Starr!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #45
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

Quote:
Lilly was a year ahead of Duncan, Veronica, and Logan (she was a senior while they were juniors). (Source: http://marsinvestigations.net/media.php?media_id=172) The In Memoriams would only be looking at those actually in the class of 2004 that died.
Ok. That makes sense!

I always thought it was the other way around for some reason.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #46
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
What was with the other two guys behind Madison and Shelly? That was creepy. BTW, was that supposed to be Shelly Pomroy?
I think those guys were supposed to be their husbands. Which is why when Madison said Veronica didn't have class, it was ironic because HER HUSBAND was the one without class. I assumed that was Shelly Pomroy...
Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #47
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

just finished the movie. I quite enjoyed it. I watched at home so there was no "tv show on the big screen" factor. I watched it on the same screen I rewatched the show on the last few weeks.

Had I not just rewatched I wouldn't have remembered Leighton meister was Carrie Bishop. The recast was distracting.

It was good of Piz to break up with Veronica so she was free to bang Logan. :-D

Speaking of Piz, is anyone actually "Team Piz"? It seems like everyone is either "Team Logan" or "Team Neither".

Quote:

(As an aside, I'd love to know where Keith managed to come up with the money to move out of the apartment and into a home, given that home prices are probably obscene in Neptune, unless you're on the wrong side of the tracks.)

One question: The Neptune High yearbook she picked up at "Ruby's" apartment looked as thick as a phone book. Are yearbooks really that freaking huge at schools? I went to a small school, so ours were maybe 1/10th that thick.
Maybe Keith wrote another book.

My HS yearbook ('95, 400 students in my graduating class) was just a little smaller.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #48
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Speaking of Piz, is anyone actually "Team Piz"? It seems like everyone is either "Team Logan" or "Team Neither".
I am a bit on "Team Piz," if only because of how toxic Veronica's relationship is with Logan. As I noted in the other thread, I binge watched my way through much of the series. By the end, I was so over Logan and Veronica. Every week Logan (and occasionally Veronica) would do something stupid, the two would nearly have a knockdown drag out fight about it, they'd break up, then they'd get right back together, all while Piz watches and occasionally gets treated as the show's kicktoy. It got old, fast.

Nice to see that poor Piz is the kicktoy in the movie as well. Actually, you know, I guess I might not be on Team Piz, because he deserves better than Veronica.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #49
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Damn Flixster crapped out on me during the credits, so I saw only James Franco's bit. I hear there were other tidbits in the credits. So spoil it for me, please!
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #50
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
One thing I missed was the bit of dialog when Ruby was in the talent show - she said something on the video after she started getting booed and they said she had to take her exams at home and wasn't allowed back at school.
According to the script

Quote:
RUBY (ON CELL PHONE SCREEN)
Iím going to burn this place to the
ground.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #51
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I am a bit on "Team Piz," if only because of how toxic Veronica's relationship is with Logan. As I noted in the other thread, I binge watched my way through much of the series. By the end, I was so over Logan and Veronica. Every week Logan (and occasionally Veronica) would do something stupid, the two would nearly have a knockdown drag out fight about it, they'd break up, then they'd get right back together, all while Piz watches and occasionally gets treated as the show's kicktoy. It got old, fast.

Nice to see that poor Piz is the kicktoy in the movie as well. Actually, you know, I guess I might not be on Team Piz, because he deserves better than Veronica.
Poor Piz.
Not only did he get his heart broken but his name is Piz.

The problem with Piz is that in spite of the dorky name, he's too good.
Logan is the far more interesting character.
(And to be honest, I detested the character of Logan at first. Until he had his breakdown when he came to terms that with the fact that his mother was really dead. That scene caused my jaw to drop and hooked me on the show.)

Nice to see that Dick is still a dick.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #52
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Saw this yesterday in the theater and mostly enjoyed it.

I can echo the same comments that most other have expressed that it felt "small". I understand it was a low budget movie, but it felt more like a made for TV movie than a big screen movie.

Some of the things I like:

The same witty dialog along with a lot of in-jokes (FBI in "another life" and Logan saying "Thanks for keeping it PG-13 after Veronica rattled of some alternate F words. Keeping the F-Bomb count to 1 in the movie

Seeing some of our favorite characters again. It was great to see characters as Sachs, Leo, Cliff, Principal Clemons and even Vinny again. (As an aside, every time a favorite character showed up on screen, there was a big "ahh" in the theater.)

The relationship between Veronica and Keith. More than the LoVe relationship, this was the relationship that keep the show moving. It was like they never left. Keith knows that Veronica is capable of so more in her life, but always wants her to be her own woman. I loved the scene when Veronica surprised Keith in his office. He knew immediately why she was in Neptune.

Veronica Job's interview. Just a fun scene (even though I had already watched the first 8 minutes, it was still fun to see.) Minor nit: Piz and Veronica did not actual have sex on the video tape according to Veronica, it was only make out session.

Dax Sheppards cameo. (Although I missed that it was Justin Long as well.)

Things that bothered me:

I still have no idea who the killer was in the original series. I don't remember him at all. I just rewatched the series over the last couple of months and his name is unfamiliar (what episode was he on.) Although I remembered the name Carrie Bishop, I didn't remember what episode she was in until it was mentioned in this thread. I think they would have been better to maybe use such characters as Madison Sinclair and Shelley Palmory instead, since they had reoccurring appearances in the series.

I am not sure I buy Veronica and Logan hooking up again. I didn't feel they had the chemistry they may have once had.

The corrupt Sheriffs department. Even under Don Lamb, the Sheriffs department was never corrupt. They may have looked the other way on certain 09er activities and Don Lamb may have been a "clown", but, in the end, he did want to solve the cases (if only for the glory.)

Speaking of Sheriff, we did not get resolution on the end of the Series and who won the Sheriff's election. With scenes with both Keith and Vinny, how hard would it have been to throw in a line telling us who was elected?

Neptune just felt wrong. It wasn't the Neptune in the series. The new sets didn't work for me.

Again, I enjoyed the movie and would probably rate it a solid B. However, as much fun this year has been, since the Kickstarter campaign kicked off, I can't see this going much farther. I know they set up another movie at the end and could maybe even pull it off. But, I don't see much beyond that. if they really wanted to continue this story, I could see a couple of Made-for-TV movies and a few books, but that's it.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #53
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

The killer wasn't in the original series.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #54
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
However, as much fun this year has been, since te movie and would probably rate it a solid B. However, as much fun this year has been, since the Kickstarter campaign kicked off, I can't see this going much farther. I know they set up another movie at the end and could maybe even pull it off. But, I don't see much beyond that. if they really wanted to continue this story, I could see a couple of Made-for-TV movies and a few books, but that's it.
They have said that they want Netflix or Amazon to pick them up for a 4th season. In that way , the movie was more of a proof of concept for that. A back door pilot, of you will. I don't ever think that the movie was intended to be the endgame.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #55
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

That would be amazing. As much as I liked the movie I'd vastly prefer TV. As long as KB can do both that and house of lies.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #56
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
The corrupt Sheriffs department. Even under Don Lamb, the Sheriffs department was never corrupt. They may have looked the other way on certain 09er activities and Don Lamb may have been a "clown", but, in the end, he did want to solve the cases (if only for the glory.)
I agree with your assessment of Don Lamb, but why does that mean that the Sheriff's department in the movie bothered you? This is a different Sheriff, and it's 10 years later. I have no problem with this department being outright corrupt where the previous one wasn't.

Quote:
Speaking of Sheriff, we did not get resolution on the end of the Series and who won the Sheriff's election. With scenes with both Keith and Vinny, how hard would it have been to throw in a line telling us who was elected?
I haven't rewatched for a while, but the way I remember it, it was quite clear that Keith lost the election.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #57
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
According to the script
Thanks!

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #58
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

I haven't rewatched for a while, but the way I remember it, it was quite clear that Keith lost the election.
I watched this episode this morning. Not clear, but probable. I am on my phone and not sure how to spoiler what happened so I will leave it at that.

The Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #59
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I don't think it's stated that he lost but it's pretty strongly implied that it's unwinnable.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #60
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I don't think it's stated that he lost but it's pretty strongly implied that it's unwinnable.
But, would anyone voted for Vinny? Seriously?

I agree it was likely he would have lost, but it would have been nice to have some closure in the movie. A simple line during Veronica and Vinny's exchange could have settled it. RT could even had some fun with it:

Maybe Vinny won the election but was removed from Office later for doing something stupid, like hooking up with a Prostitute in the Jail cell.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote