TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #61
ncbill

Thanks for the info!

IIRC, I can just clone the original drive from my working S3 OLED via MFS/JMFS and do a "clear & delete everything" when I drop the cloned drive in the non-working S3 OLED?

Or if anyone has an old working 648 drive they want to get rid of please PM me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you still had the original 250GB drive in there, it's probably dead or dying, but hook it to a PC and run WD's own long test to see if the drive itself is okay or not.

Within the past few months I got good deals on 2 lifetimed 648s because their original hard drives had gone bad or were in the process of doing so, and seen reports here at TCF of other 648 owners seeing the same thing, so I suspect it's a trend.

But as far as we know the mistaken push out of 11.3 was only the 652 version to some S3 HDs.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #62
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Thanks for the info!

IIRC, I can just clone the original drive from my working S3 OLED via MFS/JMFS and do a "clear & delete everything" when I drop the cloned drive in the non-working S3 OLED?

Or if anyone has an old working 648 drive they want to get rid of please PM me!
I just thought of something.

If that 648 has been unattended, then maybe the 11.0k to 11.0m update from last year is responsible, and the drive isn't actually bad.

Can you hook it to a PC, fire up WinMFS and take a look at it with

mfsinfo

?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #63
ncbill

The other 648 I have has 11.0m w/ no problems.

The drive tested fine & I loaded a truncated backup, but still couldn't complete guided setup.

I replaced it with an original Premiere drive (via the above backup) & now everything seems fine.

So ss another poster notes, if your S3 OLED stops working & there isn't anything obviously wrong on a visual inspection of the power supply just go ahead and replace the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I just thought of something.

If that 648 has been unattended, then maybe the 11.0k to 11.0m update from last year is responsible, and the drive isn't actually bad.

Can you hook it to a PC, fire up WinMFS and take a look at it with

mfsinfo

?

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote