TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
DAF54

Networking Question

My new Roamio Plus and Minis are scheduled to arrive Monday. I've been reading up on networking options so I can hit the ground running. MoCA networking is a new concept to me. As I understand it, my Roamio Plus has a built in MoCA adapter. Here's my situation: main TV is located in basement without wired Ethernet connection. It is, however, only about 15' from my ATT Uverse wireless router and has excellent wifi reception. I would prefer to have the Roamio attached to this TV. TV2 and TV3 both have wired Ethernet connection. All TVs have existing coax hookup.

Can I use wifi for the Roamio's internet connection and MoCA to network with the minis? Or, should I place the Roamio on TV2 and use a Mini on the basement TV? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
DAF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Think of MoCa as the typical Highway with the coax as the main roadway, MoCa runs along side as in another lane and uses the on and off ramps for the network/internet.

It carries network traffic as well as internet. You cannot use Wi-Fi if you are using either the Ethernet or MoCa as it gets disabled. Mini works best using ethernet and 2nd best on Moca. Depending on which connection is available at the TV location, either will work.

MoCa is built-in on both the Roamio Plus and Mini. If Roamio is connected to network with ethernet, just enable MoCa on the Roamio and Mini should work, no MoCa adapter needed at the router/modem end.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
DAF54

Could I use my netgear wireless Ethernet bridge to provide the Ethernet connection? As I understand it, the internet connection simply provides programming guide/firmware updates. The actual video signal arrives via cable and, if I understand MoCA correctly, cable will also carry video to the minis. If so, I can't see why a wifi Ethernet bridge couldn't handle these limited internet needs, especially since it will so close to my router. This same bridge has connected my blu-Ray player in the past and streamed Netflix. I have no prior TiVo or MoCA experience so I may very well be missing something.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Wi-fi/wireless is not recommended for Mini use as it is too slow, unlike ethernet or MoCa.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
DAF54

I guess what I don't understand is this: If the MoCA/coax is doing all the "heavy lifting" as far as data/video sharing/networking, what demands are left for the internet connection? As I see it, the only thing the ethernet internet connection is doing is downloading program guides and code updates. Surely a wireless bridge could handle these meager demands. As I stated earlier, I've streamed HD Netflix movies using this very bridge.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAF54 View Post
......... As I stated earlier, I've streamed HD Netflix movies using this very bridge.
Well that's what answers your question, it also is used to stream your network traffic from apps like Netflix, MLB, Hulu, etc. on your Roamio. Plus any recordings or live tv from the Roamio (if your minis are connected with Ethernet). Moca would be better in this instance, as you state.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Using a wireless bridge for internet and moca to connect the minis might work, as I believe the Roamio is able to bridge the ethernet and moca connections. It doesn't hurt to gve it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always get a moca adapter for the internet connection.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
marklyn

Quote:
I guess what I don't understand is this: If the MoCA/coax is doing all the "heavy lifting" as far as data/video sharing/networking, what demands are left for the internet connection? As I see it, the only thing the ethernet internet connection is doing is downloading program guides and code updates. Surely a wireless bridge could handle these meager demands. As I stated earlier, I've streamed HD Netflix movies using this very bridge.
Think of it this way:
1. You connect your ethernet cable to your Roamio to provide internet connectivity, guide updates, etc.
2. You turn on MoCA on the Roamio and connect all of your other MoCA enabled devices with coax only (each device needs to have MoCA turned on).
3. So when you watch something or using an internet based feature on the Mini, the signal is essentially coming through the coax, from the Roamio.

When you use MoCA in this scenario, the Roamio acts similar to a router or splitter (not precisely but...).

Three considerations: 1 make sure you obtain a POE filter to 'trap' your MoCA signals and keep them inside your home. The POE filter is cheap and placed at the point where cable enters your house.
2. Make sure your splitters are over 1Mhz and your cable ends are truly done right. I lost several dB due to cable ends that looked ok to me but when they were redone, I gained dB back and eliminated pixelation.
3. Lots of chatter on the forum on whether to use a wired or wireless ethernet connection. If at all possible, go wired to to your Roamio. Just do it.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
DAF54

Thanks for all your input. I should have stated that I have no desire or intention to use the Roamio for streaming apps. I already have Chromecasts connected to TV2 & TV3 and one attached to my AV receiver on the main TV. If I want to watch Netflix, it will be via Chromecast. I don't have MLB or Hulu either. The only viewing I will be doing on the Minis will be live TV or recordings from the Roamio. I will give MoCA a try using the bridge to provide internet to the Roamio. I will also pick up a POE trap. Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
pwlcheng

Quote:
I will give MoCA a try using the bridge to provide internet to the Roamio.
I guess you are not going to use the OOH feature with you Roamio Plus, cos the bridge will not cut it.
pwlcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
DAF54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlcheng View Post
I guess you are not going to use the OOH feature with you Roamio Plus, cos the bridge will not cut it.
What's OOH?

Also, while I understand and appreciate that the bridge "will not cut it" to maintain an ethernet network and stream programming to the Minis, no one has demonstrated why a bridge won't be adequate to download a programming guide and firmware updates while using MoCA for the networking. What am I missing?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
What's OOH?

Also, while I understand and appreciate that the bridge "will not cut it" to maintain an ethernet network and stream programming to the Minis, no one has demonstrated why a bridge won't be adequate to download a programming guide and firmware updates while using MoCA for the networking. What am I missing?
OOH = out-of-home streaming

And I said above that I think your ethernet bridge idea might work, and to try it and see.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-14-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #13
vinsuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Mini works best using ethernet and 2nd best on Moca.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only true if you have a Gigabit Ethernet network. Otherwise, it's a wash on a 10/100 Mbps network.
vinsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #14
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsuz View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only true if you have a Gigabit Ethernet network. Otherwise, it's a wash on a 10/100 Mbps network.
Actually, the Mini only has a 10/100 ethernet port, so it doesn't matter if you have a gigabit ethernet network as far as the mini is concerned. Regardless of the speed, some people believe that ethernet is inherently more stable than moca. Whether this is true or not depends a lot on how good (or bad) the coax wiring in your home is.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
HarperVision

MoCA is an RF modulated Ethernet signal onto your coax line and subject to more interference, reflections and data loss. Ethernet is a straight voltage signal over Tx and Rx lines and as long as the connections are good, should supply a more robust connection and data transfer.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote