Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
edso

Can I rescue Recordings from after Tivo 11.3 update Breaks Access

Hi,

(Meant "from S3 after" )

Does anyone know how to rescue recordings when the S3 HAS a dvr expander attached and Tivo has broken web, another Tivo and TivoDesktop access with the 11.3 update.
The S3 still sees Tivo corporate and I can ping the S3, but i none of the functions allowing access work.
It has also broken all of the video on demand components.
It still records just fine

I have a new Roamio coming, but I need some of these recordings
Thanks
edso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Phantom Gremlin

You could always try using kmttg. Maybe the way kmttg accesses the TiVo is different enough that it will work while the other programs don't work any more. But I think that's a long shot.

Have you tried a total power down of both the TiVo and the expander? That might help, but it's also another long shot. And it might make your problems much worse, so try only if you're very desperate.

I don't feel comfortable about pulling power to any running computer, and a TiVo is no exception. So when I power-down I always first go into the menus and do "Restart the TiVo HD DVR" and then pull the plug right after it starts rebooting.

It's unfortunate that TiVo is so unforthcoming about the exact nature of the problem. If we knew more details we might have a better idea of how to salvage things. Because (at least so far) my TiVo still allows kmttg to access it to transfer files from it. But I don't have an expander attached.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Phantom Gremlin

I keep successfully transferring files off my affected TiVo HD. So far so good.

One other thing I thought of regarding you getting files off your TiVo. I don't know what OS you use, I use Mac OS X and it has a program called "curl" which is sometimes used to transfer data from a server.

However, at least for me, I haven't had luck using curl, which is the default way that kmttg accesses the TiVo. So I needed to check the kmttg configuration box that says "Use Java for downloads instead of curl".

Anyway, just another shot in the dark from me. I don't see anyone else chiming in with any ideas so I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'd hate to be in your situation with recordings I absolutely wanted to save.

And, of course, there's one other method that is "guaranteed" to work, but is a lot of effort. You can always playback each show you want to keep and digitize the video out using some sort of capture card.

I don't use HDMI with my TiVo HDs, but I think if you do you must unplug it before the other outputs work. If you digitize component output you will get HD although admittedly lower quality than from HDMI. I've never used an HD digitizer but have previously used a DVD recorder box to capture S-video output. The video quality isn't perfect, not even HD, but it's not bad at all. And it's easy to preserve 16:9 aspect ratio.

Just depends on how desperate you are. Good luck.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
edso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
You could always try using kmttg. Maybe the way kmttg accesses the TiVo is different enough that it will work while the other programs don't work any more. But I think that's a long shot.

Have you tried a total power down of both the TiVo and the expander? That might help, but it's also another long shot. And it might make your problems much worse, so try only if you're very desperate.

I don't feel comfortable about pulling power to any running computer, and a TiVo is no exception. So when I power-down I always first go into the menus and do "Restart the TiVo HD DVR" and then pull the plug right after it starts rebooting.

It's unfortunate that TiVo is so unforthcoming about the exact nature of the problem. If we knew more details we might have a better idea of how to salvage things. Because (at least so far) my TiVo still allows kmttg to access it to transfer files from it. But I don't have an expander attached.
Thanks for the idea.
I had found and tried kmttg on my own. It can only see my series 2, but not the series 3.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
edso

No Joy!

Well, the new Roamio arrived and as expected, it cannot see the series 3 in any way including using a crossover cable.

Anyone have any luck using the Hauppauge HD PVR or HD PVR 2?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
TLTypeS

I think I found a way to transfer files off a bricked TiVo. I was able to do it with both my HD's. Make sure all your TiVo's are on your account and all your TiVo's are set to transfer between each other.

I re-ran Guided Setup. Since I am cable, I chose antenna only and after setup was finished, I was able to see all my TiVo's. You may need to reboot after guided setup.

Can someone else try it and report back?
TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
smcguire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTypeS View Post
I think I found a way to transfer files off a bricked TiVo. I was able to do it with both my HD's. Make sure all your TiVo's are on your account and all your TiVo's are set to transfer between each other.

I re-ran Guided Setup. Since I am cable, I chose antenna only and after setup was finished, I was able to see all my TiVo's. You may need to reboot after guided setup.

I can confirm that re-running Guided Setup on my TiVo HD afflicted with 11.3 allowed me to transfer recordings off it again. Thanks very much for posting the tip!

More details, if anyone is curious:

Up until the day my replacement arrived, I had been able to transfer recordings of my Tivo HD to my Mac. (I didn't have another TiVo to try transferring them to.)

However, once I set up the Roamio and tried to transfer recordings off the HD to the Roamio, I was told it couldn't due to network problems.

So I went back to the Mac to finish transferring the recordings there, and found I could no longer transfer recordings from the HD to the Mac, either. Rebooting the HD didn't help.

Re-running Guided Setup, as TLTypeS suggested, fixed the problem and now I am in the process of moving recordings from the HD to the Roamio.

I suspect part of the issue may have been removing the cable card from the HD and putting it in the Roamio. After I took the cable card out, the HD repeatedly complained about lack of a cable card and told me to rerun guided setup because my configuration had changed. I don't know why taking out the cable card would have broken network transfers, but since the TiVo was telling me to do it and re-running guided setup did fix it, one is suspicious!

Anyway, this advice helped me… hope it helps others too.
smcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
edso

Big Grin Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTypeS View Post

You are a genius!

Guided setup fro antenna
Reboot
Able to transfer recordings.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. (Wish Tivo support had figured this out)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
TLTypeS

Glad to have helped
TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote