TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Old Hickory

Will my S3 show 3D content???

Will my S3 show 3D content either as a downloaded 3D movie or 3D channel on Comcast? I just bought a 3D TV.
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
wtkflhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Will my S3 show 3D content either as a downloaded 3D movie or 3D channel on Comcast? I just bought a 3D TV.
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't except that Comcast may have the copy protection set so you can't record it. Especially if it's PPV.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
worachj

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/..._id/2424/kw/3D

Series3 DVRs

All Series3 HD and TiVo HD and HD XL boxes support 3D content delivered in MPEG2 format only and can record and play back 3D broadcasts on a 3D TV. MPEG4 encoding is not supported at this time.

Please note that the TiVo menus are not optimized for 3D and will not display properly. Examples include TiVo Central, the Guide, and the Trickplay bar.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Old Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/..._id/2424/kw/3D

Series3 DVRs

All Series3 HD and TiVo HD and HD XL boxes support 3D content delivered in MPEG2 format only and can record and play back 3D broadcasts on a 3D TV. MPEG4 encoding is not supported at this time.

Please note that the TiVo menus are not optimized for 3D and will not display properly. Examples include TiVo Central, the Guide, and the Trickplay bar.
Can you explain what that means as a user of Tivo HD?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
wtkflhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Can you explain what that means as a user of Tivo HD?
There are 3 different models of Series 3 TIVOs . The original os the OLED series 3. It's service nimbers begin with a 648. The TIVO HD led only light up when the unit is on. It also doesn't have the THX sound of the orignal S3. Then there is the TIVO XL with comes with a larger hard drive. I think it's service number starts with a 655. But I don;t have one myself, so I could be wrong about that.

Also, you didn't ask about this, but I'm going to throw this out for what it's worth. In the DVD world, don't buy 3D DVD's unless you have a DVD player that supports 3D. I was told by Samsung that that doesn't work, unless your player is 3D capable. You might try the enhanced 3D if you have in on your set. It will take a regular movie and make look like 3D. I have a dvd of the John Wayne film "Hondo" which was filmed in 3D in the 1950's, which looks pretty good on my 3D tv.

Don H
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

My experience: The TiVo will pass it through, but I have to manually switch the TV to the appropriate 3D mode. This is different from what I get with a Blu-Ray 3D player.

The TiVo doesn't adjust its menus for 3D mode, so they aren't usable until I switch the TV back. In fact, the TiVo actually does nothing with the 3D flag, except that it displays it in the Info. In this sense, any device "supports" 3D; the signal is just a regular channel of video. It's the TV that processes it into 3D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Worf

There are 3 kinds of 3D - side by side, top and bottom, and frame packed. The first two sacrifice some resolution for 3D, while the second requires twice the bandwidth as it's using two full resolution images.

TiVo (and TV) pretty much use the first two - it lets them send a 3D signal without an increase in bandwidth. The cost is, of course, lower resolution. Side by Side sacrifices horizontal resolution (i.e., each image ix 960x1080), while top and bottom sacrifices vertical resolution (each image is 1920x540)

Frame packed is what Blu-Ray normally use which is why the 3D part is almost exclusively on a disc of its own - the movie is twice as big.

The half resolutions are also the easiest to support on existing infrastructure - if you have HDMI 1.3, it's the only way to do 3D on devices that came out before HDMI 1.4 (which lets you send frame packed 3D).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Old Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
My experience: The TiVo will pass it through, but I have to manually switch the TV to the appropriate 3D mode. This is different from what I get with a Blu-Ray 3D player.

The TiVo doesn't adjust its menus for 3D mode, so they aren't usable until I switch the TV back. In fact, the TiVo actually does nothing with the 3D flag, except that it displays it in the Info. In this sense, any device "supports" 3D; the signal is just a regular channel of video. It's the TV that processes it into 3D.
This is what I was looking for.

3D programming either downloaded to the Tivo HD or from a 3D channel is passed through Tivo HD to the TV but does not display as 3D until the TV is placed into 3D mode. Okay.