TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Have you attempted to use out of home streaming and succeeded?
Yes, it works fantastic, this poster is full of crap. 27 67.50%
Yes, I tried but it wouldn't work, Tivo marketing is full of crap. 6 15.00%
No, I haven't tried. I'm sure someday Apple could do it if Tivo can't. 4 10.00%
No, I don't care about this. 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #61
lickwid

I know this is not totally related, but there is a program available for Jailbroken iOS devices called Flex 2, which supposedly allows restricted programs to be properly streamed and downloaded. However, I have yet to get it to work. But Flex 2 allows for enough flexibility to possibly get around that restriction.

Delete if this discussion is not allowed.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #62
Dan203
Super Moderator

If that is possible then TiVo will likely plug that hole quickly. Because of the way their streaming and encryption work they have the ability to block this at the Stream hardware if they really want. If they're doing it at the software level now it's probably out of convenience, but because it depends on proprietary hardware they always have an option of blocking it at a lower level.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #63
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

In the little testing I have done, my Stream ooh works as intended. I have ran my iPod touch wifi off my Android hotspot with my Android at times only having 3G cell service for the data going to the hotspot and it works fine. For those having issues I suspect it might be more related to their home network having limited upload bandwidth from their home network. My home Internet service has 5mb up which is slightly higher than most residential Internet service, I would be curious if those who are having issues would test their home Internet bandwidth and see if there is a relationship to lower upload limits.

You must have decent Internet upload speed off your home network were your Tivo and the Stream device is located, in terms of quality, most residential ISP's provide terrible upload capabilities both in terms of low bandwidth and high latency. Most ISPs hate home servers of any type which is what the stream technically is.

I don't believe it's a scam, it's more of a cool gimmick that attempts to do the most with several technical and legal restraints.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #64
Austin Bike

Mine worked ok on 512k uplink, even better with 3MB.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #65
Dan203
Super Moderator

Haven't had the occasion to really try it yet. I have a business trip in April I'll get a chance to try it then.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #66
jimmypowder

OOH streaming is awful quality

I don't even bother will it anymore and use the TiVo app to delete and set recordings .
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #67
bparker

Definitely misleading, and you don't find out until you either buy and try or you watch the forums for people in similar areas. I hear that Cox in my area encrypts everything, so the stream is useless.
bparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #68
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparker View Post
Definitely misleading, and you don't find out until you either buy and try or you watch the forums for people in similar areas. I hear that Cox in my area encrypts everything, so the stream is useless.
It is not about whether they encrypt or not, it is about whetherthey set the copy once flag or copy never flags.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #69
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparker View Post
You forgot to add "to me" to the end.

Too many people are knocking this product because their cable providers are screwing them. The anger is really pointed in the wrong place.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #70
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
You forgot to add "to me" to the end. Too many people are knocking this product because their cable providers are screwing them. The anger is really pointed in the wrong place.

Yeah the cable companies are screwing us , but TiVo shares some of the blame on promoting having your tv anywhere you are so heavily .

They know full well that for many of their customers this is a pipe dream.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #71
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Yeah the cable companies are screwing us , but TiVo shares some of the blame on promoting having your tv anywhere you are so heavily .

They know full well that for many of their customers this is a pipe dream.
That's BS, while for SOME users in either TWC or Frontier areas, there are overly aggressive service restrictions, that's not the experience for the majority of the users out there, for those users they can stream anything but the premium channels, it's not Tivo's fault some CableCOs are greedy SOBs. There's no reason for Tivo to take the hit on the CableCO being morons.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #72
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
That's BS, while for SOME users in either TWC or Frontier areas, there are overly aggressive service restrictions, that's not the experience for the majority of the users out there, for those users they can stream anything but the premium channels, it's not Tivo's fault some CableCOs are greedy SOBs. There's no reason for Tivo to take the hit on the CableCO being morons.
It's hardly BS . I'm in a Comcast area and there are plenty of restrictions .

I don't see Tivo attempting to work with the cable companies to remove some of these restrictions , do you ?

Your comment is B.S .
Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #73
jimmypowder

Quote:

Tivo streaming quality is garbage anyway . Poor picture , bad audio quality

I'll use my Slingbox , where I can watch ALL of my subscribed channels not just a few .
Old 03-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #74
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
It's hardly BS . I'm in a Comcast area and there are plenty of restrictions .
I don't see Tivo attempting to work with the cable companies to remove some of these restrictions , do you ?
Your comment is B.S .
I can stream each and every channel I'm subscribed to, if I had an HBO, etc I would not have been surprised to not be able to stream it.

Quote:
Tivo streaming quality is garbage anyway . Poor picture , bad audio quality
I'll use my Slingbox , where I can watch ALL of my subscribed channels not just a few .
We went through this in your other thread, we have a differing of experiences.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #75
jimmypowder

Quote:
I can stream each and every channel I'm subscribed to, if I had an HBO, etc I would not have been surprised to not be able to stream it. We went through this in your other thread, we have a differing of experiences.
Buy a Slingbox and compare the quality . You obviously don't have one otherwise I have no doubt you would think Tivo OOH streaming is poor quality . I was just on a trip . Tried Tivo OOH and it was horrendous quality . Went to my Slingbox app on the same network . HD quality !

I have no doubt you have ever used place shifters like Monsoon , Slingbox , Sony , Belkin in the past .

Last edited by jimmypowder : 03-08-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #76
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Buy a Slingbox and compare the quality . You obviously don't have one otherwise I have no doubt you would think Tivo OOH streaming is poor quality . I was just on a trip . Tried Tivo OOH and it was horrendous quality . Went to my Slingbox app on the same network . HD quality !

I have no doubt you have ever used place shifters like Monsoon , Slingbox , Sony , Belkin in the past .
It's just not a problem for me, the Tivo quality is fine for what I use it for, YMMV obviously.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #77
jimmypowder

Quote:
It's just not a problem for me, the Tivo quality is fine for what I use it for, YMMV obviously.
Like I said you have never used another place shifter , ever . So how can you say Tivo OOH streaming is great when you have not used another place shifter to compare it to ??

Your comments on how great Tivo OOH is has now been exposed as a fraud .
Old 03-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #78
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Like I said you have never used another place shifter , ever . So how can you say Tivo OOH streaming is great when you have not used another place shifter to compare it to ??

Your comments on how great Tivo OOH is has now been exposed as a fraud .
I have used other place shifters, and I have said that the Stream works just fine for MY needs, there's no need to start making personal attacks because you disagree with my opinion. I don't know why you keep making assumptions about MY experiences and/or the lack thereof just because they don't agree with yours.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #79
jimmypowder

Quote:
I have used other place shifters, and I have said that the Stream works just fine for MY needs, there's no need to start making personal attacks because you disagree with my opinion. I don't know why you keep making assumptions about MY experiences and/or the lack thereof just because they don't agree with yours.
Ok which model and brand ?

How did it compare to Tivo OOH ? Honestly ??

Last edited by jimmypowder : 03-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #80
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Ok which model and brand ?

How did it compare to Tivo OOH ? Honestly ??
Multiple Sling devices, since they take over Tivo output, they did not meet my needs, Stream meets my needs and gives an experience that works the way I need it to, I can stream ANY item I have recorded on my Roamio or Premiere.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #81
jimmypowder

Quote:
Multiple Sling devices, since they take over Tivo output, they did not meet my needs, Stream meets my needs and gives an experience that works the way I need it to, I can stream ANY item I have recorded on my Roamio or Premiere.
They take over your to Tivo output ?? Don't get it . You don't connect your Tivo to your TV via HDMI? Was Slingbox better at OOH streaming , in your experience?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #82
moyekj

Quote:
They take over your to Tivo output ?? Don't get it . You don't connect your Tivo to your TV via HDMI? Was Slingbox better at OOH streaming , in your experience?
Her point is that Slingbox can potentially interfere with another viewer using the TiVo at the same time you're using the Slingbox, whereas with the Stream that's not the case.

Both solutions have their pluses and minuses, and I'm glad to have both. As I said before when you are OOH if you DOWNLOAD instead of STREAM you can get decent quality picture. You can let download proceed for a little and then start watching, then you get much better trick play capability than using Sling and you don't interfere with any potential home users of the TiVo. If the download is too slow or you really want real time OOH viewing then you can use the Sling instead. Having both gives you best of both solutions. Personally I prefer to use the Stream whenever feasible since it offers much better trick play and commercial skip capabilities. On occasion when Stream didn't work right I switched over to Sling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #83
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Her point is that Slingbox can potentially interfere with another viewer using the TiVo at the same time you're using the Slingbox, whereas with the Stream that's not the case.
Exactly, and Tivo streaming meets my current needs, unfortunately our friend just will not let it go and insists on beating any opinion I have into the ground because we differ.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #84
jimmypowder

Quote:
Exactly, and Tivo streaming meets my current needs, unfortunately our friend just will not let it go and insists on beating any opinion I have into the ground because we differ.
You didn't answer my question .

Was the Slingbox OOH better audio and video quality ?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #85
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Her point is that Slingbox can potentially interfere with another viewer using the TiVo at the same time you're using the Slingbox, whereas with the Stream that's not the case. Both solutions have their pluses and minuses, and I'm glad to have both. As I said before when you are OOH if you DOWNLOAD instead of STREAM you can get decent quality picture. You can let download proceed for a little and then start watching, then you get much better trick play capability than using Sling and you don't interfere with any potential home users of the TiVo. If the download is too slow or you really want real time OOH viewing then you can use the Sling instead. Having both gives you best of both solutions. Personally I prefer to use the Stream whenever feasible since it offers much better trick play and commercial skip capabilities. On occasion when Stream didn't work right I switched over to Sling.
I don't know many households that have only one tv but yes one of the reasons I bought a Roamio was the ability to watch a stream and not
bother someone watching that tv .

Sadly most of the premium channels I cannot stream and when I'm away those are the ones I wish to view . On top of bad video and audio quality .

Thus I never use the Tivo for OOH .
Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #86
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
You forgot to add "to me" to the end.

Too many people are knocking this product because their cable providers are screwing them. The anger is really pointed in the wrong place.
Uh yeah, Tivo had no say at all in your opinion. Mine differs, but as dan said upthread we really don't know how much they bend over (or argue for us consumers, if at all). The real problem IMO is that Tivo is so far in bed now with the cableCos (and don't make money on us) that they probably don't push the issue as hard as they could.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #87
Austin Bike

Having been in technical marketing for 20+ years, I'd be willing to bet that this has less to do with tivo being "in bed" with anyone. They are a gnat compared to the size of the big cable giants. The reality is most likely that they are operating in a world where they don't want to piss off the big guys. They don't want to push too hard out of fear of being shut off altogether.

Look at the size of the cable market and the penetration for tivo and you'll see that they are just barely on the radar screen.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #88
jimmypowder

Quote:
Having been in technical marketing for 20+ years, I'd be willing to bet that this has less to do with tivo being "in bed" with anyone. They are a gnat compared to the size of the big cable giants. The reality is most likely that they are operating in a world where they don't want to piss off the big guys. They don't want to push too hard out of fear of being shut off altogether. Look at the size of the cable market and the penetration for tivo and you'll see that they are just barely on the radar screen.
This I completely agree with and is precisely why you will see no push from Tivo to get the cable companies to allow streaming via Tivo on all subscribed channels .
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #89
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Having been in technical marketing for 20+ years, I'd be willing to bet that this has less to do with tivo being "in bed" with anyone. They are a gnat compared to the size of the big cable giants. The reality is most likely that they are operating in a world where they don't want to piss off the big guys. They don't want to push too hard out of fear of being shut off altogether.
The point here is that their bread is not being buttered by us anymore.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #90
jimmypowder

Tivo Ooh streaming is just plain terrible.

I challenge anyone who has a Slingbox to tell me Tivo has better streaming quality .