TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #1681
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And I had warranty support denied on a launch TiVo HD in 2007. So I put the original drive back in and exchanged it for another one at Circuit City.

I have no plans to upgrade the drives in either of my Roamios yet.
If I had been able to get some of the current prices on the Pro, that I see a lot of talk about just recently, back when I bought my base-models, I'd have bought Pros (if I didn't require OTA as a fallback, should I be forced to cord-cut).

I did get one bad base-model (out of three), which had bad soldering (or some other internal defect), causing random flakiness on the near 1GHz channels. Luckily, I caught that it was the TiVo (by loosening the coax-in nipple nut and wiggle testing). It was driving me mad. I caught it with just three days to get another one, transfer lifetime service (one time only limit), and return the defective one to retail.

The rush was to get the new one in-place before the "satisfaction guarantee" ran out on the immediate lifetime service purchase. I couldn't afford to get the money credited, purchase a new plan, then wait for the credit to apply to the card (the alternate way of dealing with such an issue).

I hear (have read on here) that TiVo works with people that buy direct with such issues (if they don't catch any tampering), but I much prefer swapping out at local stores, until TiVos make the list of non-returnable items (or more restricted) return policies... That's always possible as well.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #1682

Gah, 57 pages! Ain't nobody got time for that.

Can someone just give me just a quick answer to these simple questions, and when the time comes I'll dig up more specific answers... thanks...

From what I gather, replacing the hard drive on a Roamio Plus is as easy as opening it up, replacing it and booting. Is this true?

Can you use a 4GB drive?

A year or two from now, can I pull my old 1TB Hard Drive out of the Roamio, clone it to a 4GB drive and swap them? Will I be able to keep all of my old shows if I make a perfect clone, or is it more complicated than that?
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #1683
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Gah, 57 pages! Ain't nobody got time for that.

Can someone just give me just a quick answer to these simple questions, and when the time comes I'll dig up more specific answers... thanks...

From what I gather, replacing the hard drive on a Roamio Plus is as easy as opening it up, replacing it and booting. Is this true?
Yes.

Quote:
Can you use a 4GB drive?
No, only a drive from Weaknees will do 4TB. There are a couple of users working on a DIY 4TB process. One has successfully created a 4TB drive for a Premiere.

Quote:
A year or two from now, can I pull my old 1TB Hard Drive out of the Roamio, clone it to a 4GB drive and swap them? Will I be able to keep all of my old shows if I make a perfect clone, or is it more complicated than that?
Maybe. Perhaps in 6 months tools will be available to deal with drive cloning. Time will tell on that one.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #1684
KevinG

Quote:

Can you use a 4GB drive?

1) Yes, drop in replacement is all that is needed.
2) No, you can't use a 4GB drive (that's rather small), or even a 4TB drive. 3TB is the biggest drop-in replacement that will work.
3) Maybe in a year that will be possible, (but not to a 4GB drive ) but right now it isn't possible. There are no tools that work on the drives. If nothing changes before you choose to do this, you will have to move all of the stuff that you want to keep off to a PC, drive swap, and then move the stuff back (assuming it isn't copy protected).
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #1685
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
3) Maybe in a year that will be possible, (but not to a 4GB drive ) but right now it isn't possible.
I'm not certain that it will ever be possible since even weaKnees isn't offering their "Deluxe Upgrade Service"* on a Roamio.

* Deluxe Upgrade Service
We copy your settings and programming to the new drive(s) - you lose nothing! Your capacity will simply increase!
You will receive an email with shipping instructions after your upgrade order is finalized. $79

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #1686

Thanks so much guys.

I have another only semi related question. It was mentioned that you can take all of the files off of a TiVo and then reload them. I used to do this years ago, but stopped because I didn't really have a need for it, beyond the "wow, that's cool" factor.

I googled around a bit and quickly got confused. A lot of info seems out of date. Can someone point to the best way to do this currently on a Mac running Mavericks?
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #1687
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thanks so much guys.

I have another only semi related question. It was mentioned that you can take all of the files off of a TiVo and then reload them. I used to do this years ago, but stopped because I didn't really have a need for it, beyond the "wow, that's cool" factor.

I googled around a bit and quickly got confused. A lot of info seems out of date. Can someone point to the best way to do this currently on a Mac running Mavericks?
PyTivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #1688
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

So what is the best 2tb drive model to use?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #1689
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
PyTivo.
No. kmttg.

PyTivo lets you pull videos from a server, or push them to the tivo.

He wants the reverse.... kmttg which pulls from the tivo.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #1690
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
No. kmttg.

PyTivo lets you pull videos from a server, or push them to the tivo.

He wants the reverse.... kmttg which pulls from the tivo.
PyTivo does both directions. Pull from a PC to Tivo (from the playlist). Pull from the Tivo to PC. Push from PC to Tivo.

KMTTG is one direction only. Downloads video from Tivo. There is a Push but it uses PyTivo for that function.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #1691
KevinG

Indeed, you are correct. I just never used pyTivo for that, since I have to manually select each show. kmttg allows you to automate it.

Since the OP wants to back up everything, it still seems that kmttg would be the better choice. No?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #1692
JS2003

Just upgraded my Roamio to 3TB and I was amazed at how easy it was! Just take out the 500GB drive and pop in the new one. I wasn't trying to save any programming, so there was absolutely no drive preparation involved. I didn't even have to re-pair my Comcast cable card or reactivate it or anything. Just ran Guided Setup and it was ready to go in no time!

I've ugraded Tivos going back to a small fleet of Series II machines, so I wasn't prepared for how simple this was.

The hardest part was getting open the case. All the instructions I've seen mentioned "sliding" open the case after removing the screw in the back. There was no sliding whatsoever going on, and it wasn't until I found a Youtube video (under "open Roamio") that I saw the lid had to be pried out. I could have tried sliding the lid forward all night and I don't think it would have budged. But with just a little prying on the sides, the lid popped of easily. If you're having trouble opening the case, trust me, just look for the video.

I am so impressed with the evolution of Tivo hardware. This machine is by far the easiest Tivo I hsve upgraded.
JS2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #1693
russg
UID=0

I've searched around and don't see anything that directly answers my question.
I have Verizon FiOS and am considering upgrading to a 3TB drive. Do you have to call anyone or re-pair the cablecard after the upgrade? Should you remove the cablecard while the system formats and prepares and then install it when it asks for it?
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #1694
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2003 View Post
Just upgraded my Roamio to 3TB and I was amazed at how easy it was! Just take out the 500GB drive and pop in the new one. I wasn't trying to save any programming, so there was absolutely no drive preparation involved. I didn't even have to re-pair my Comcast cable card or reactivate it or anything. Just ran Guided Setup and it was ready to go in no time!

I've ugraded Tivos going back to a small fleet of Series II machines, so I wasn't prepared for how simple this was.

The hardest part was getting open the case. All the instructions I've seen mentioned "sliding" open the case after removing the screw in the back. There was no sliding whatsoever going on, and it wasn't until I found a Youtube video (under "open Roamio") that I saw the lid had to be pried out. I could have tried sliding the lid forward all night and I don't think it would have budged. But with just a little prying on the sides, the lid popped of easily. If you're having trouble opening the case, trust me, just look for the video.

I am so impressed with the evolution of Tivo hardware. This machine is by far the easiest Tivo I hsve upgraded.
I don't think that's true. Better check your pay channels if you have any… I don't think the pairing info carries over. I wish it did, but i don't think so…
Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #1695
Rob_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by russg View Post
I have Verizon FiOS and am considering upgrading to a 3TB drive. Do you have to call anyone or re-pair the cablecard after the upgrade? Should you remove the cablecard while the system formats and prepares and then install it when it asks for it?
I did this recently. I had to call Verizon and re-pair after I upgraded the drive. I did not remove the cable card during the process.
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #1696
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by russg View Post
My memory seems to be telling me that someone said you only need to pair on FiOS if you have premium channels. But I might have dreamed it who knows
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #1697
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
My memory seems to be telling me that someone said you only need to pair on FiOS if you have premium channels. But I might have dreamed it who knows
This is true for Comcast at least for the first 45 days. The system used in CT Comcast using Moto cable cards have a 45 to 60 day time out, if the card does not receive any commination from the mother ship the card will shut down, a non-paired card will not receive any commination so it will shut down, a pared card left unplugged for say 60 days will also be shut down, you have to call and have a signal sent to the card to turn it back on again (not a re-pair signal), or you can leave it plug in for a few days and than it will turn on itself. YMNV

Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #1698
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
When I upgraded I did not have to re-pair. Everything worked fine even the premiums, with the exception of HBO/Cinemax which is the same issue many of us had with the initial Roamio install. A call to Verizon resolved the issue.

Last edited by HenryFarpolo : 02-25-2014 at 07:37 PM.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #1699
russg
UID=0

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #1700
spaldingclan

I didn't have to re-pair! but I'm on antennae only
spaldingclan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #1701
iamevan

Quick question,

What exact model hard drives do the Roamio Plus and Pro use?
iamevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #1702
A J Ricaud

Newegg has the WD AV-GP WD30EURX 3TB IntelliPower drive for $119.99 with PROMO CODE: EMCPGPF27 until 3/10/14
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #1703
alyssa

what do you guys think?

i upgraded my plus a couple of months ago to a EURX. The plus has rebooted twice this past week while we were watching a recorded show from the now playing list.

i didn't run any tests on the hdd before i upgraded. I'm thinking the hdd is going bad.
i don't watch the MLB channel.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 03-08-2014 at 09:04 PM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #1704
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
what do you guys think?

i upgraded my plus a couple of months ago to a EURX. The plus has rebooted twice this past week while we were watching a recorded show from the now playing list.

i didn't run any tests on the hdd before i upgraded but that's what i'm thinking as i don't watch the MLB channel.
There are several reporting Roamio and Premiere random reboots over the past 10 days - 2 weeks. All of mine are rebooting.

See the following: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...6#post10031426

If you want to test the HDD run a Kickstart 54
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-hd-tests.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #1705
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
There are several reporting Roamio and Premiere random reboots over the past 10 days - 2 weeks. All of mine are rebooting.

I just added another post over there.

However, I've been looking for somebody to (inevitably) start a new thread, in the Roamio area, so I'm not posting duplicate data points and info in Premiere areas.

The different TiVo platform crowds get angry and sharpen their pitchforks when those who are speaking of other plaflorms post in their threads (98% of the time).

Should this be the "right" place, or have you spotted an appropriate thread?

I've been rather silent, and inactive, on here, for quite some time now. This is because of my lack of problems with my Roamios (and taking all other TiVo platforms out of service, to sell). Now, once again, I'm getting angry, and us drive upgrading folks may not be able to get any help from TiVo... We may have to figure it out on our own.

A good question is: Is anybody running a stock drive having the issue we speak of? If not... Well, I just don't want to go there right now...

I can't find anything actually wrong with the drives. I'm just now finding out that KS54 SMART tests built into Roamios do not seem to be able to do anything but read SMART data, and perform 5 minute, or other quick, tests (when a drive upgrade has been performed), while the hours-long tests go on for days, with no end in sight. My Premieres and HDs were still able to perform these tests on 2TB upgrade drives. Perhaps there's a >2TB bug that nobody has found, until now, as this may be the first time multiple people may be using the built-in KS diags, on an upgraded drive?

I'm still gathering data points, and am looking forward to a unified thread on this matter, or at least a Roamio thread that can be a base-of-operations for those with Roamios. I prefer a unified front comparing notes, cross-platform.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 03-09-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #1706
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I've been looking for somebody to (inevitably) start a new thread, in the Roamio area, so I'm not posting duplicate data points and info in Premiere areas.

<snip>

I'm still gathering data points, and am looking forward to a unified thread on this matter, or at least a Roamio thread that can be a base-of-operations for those with Roamios. I prefer a unified front comparing notes, cross-platform.
There is no one stopping you from creating such a thread. Why count on someone else? It may never get created.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #1707
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
There is no one stopping you from creating such a thread. Why count on someone else? It may never get created.
It's pretty straightforward (IMO), in the small portion you quoted. Also, I'm trying to not start a new thread, unless absolutely necessary. Also, I'm still gathering data points.

I was looking for both opinions on whether a new thread had enough merit, as well as opinions on if the matter should be kept in parallel threads for each platform, or unified as one-thread-for-all.

Please forgive me for trying to keep the peace, act responsibly, and for actually looking for some feedback, before I just go and start another thread...

I'm often hoping for a new (and/or better) thread on some issues/matters. That doesn't mean anybody/everybody else is.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #1708
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
It sounds like the discussion you suggest would make a good thread in the TiVo Upgrade Center forum, especially if you think stock units might not suffer from the problem.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #1709
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

running the hdd test now- but it's looking like a good drive. i'm just running the SMART test

it is super nice to know it might be a software issue and not require another $100 buck outlay! nooneuknow's posts are very informative

Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #1710
alyssa

sorry abt the double post

anyone know how long a smart test takes on a 3gb drive?
i may be hung at 10% of the extended test. I'm at 19mins

never mind--
i missed the 'test time (est)' <eyeroll>

Last edited by alyssa : 03-09-2014 at 03:56 PM.