TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #121
alanpgh

Margret's email address: (note that she spells her name differently. see below.)
margret@tivo.com
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #122
sharkster

Thank You so much, Alan!

Done and done. Maybe I'm the only one for whom this is always a major PITA, but maybe others would find this update helpful too.

Last edited by sharkster : 02-09-2014 at 06:09 PM.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #123
alanpgh

Margret is very helpful.

She is also on Twitter at:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #124
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

My biggest wish for a future (soon w/b good, like tomorrow. heh) update would be allowing the ability to change a channel number on a Season Pass.

Have you tried changing Season Pass Info/Modify Season Pass/Channel?
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #125
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
Have you tried changing Season Pass Info/Modify Season Pass/Channel?
I'm not seeing that option. I just went into one Season Pass and looked for an option to modify the channel, but there was no option offered.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #126
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

In Season Pass manager, go to your show, then down to upcoming, right to the future show on the other channel listed, should have a create Season Pass. Then, you can delete the older one.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 02-10-2014 at 04:13 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #127
PedjaR

Quote:
I'm not seeing that option. I just went into one Season Pass and looked for an option to modify the channel, but there was no option offered.
In Season Pass manager, go to your show, click select.
Click right to get into Modify Season Pass.
Click Select.
Scroll down until you get to Channel.

At this point, if this is the only channel the series shows on, it is not editable, and there is nothing you can do this way. However, if there are multiple channels with the series of the same name, it will let you pick which one to use (click left or right arrow). I have seen this when there is a series that has a lots of reruns of old episodes on one channel and new episodes on another. I was wondering if the new channel actually having the series will show in addition to the old one. Probably won't work unless the series has episodes in the current guide (next 11-12 days).

Wait, I just tried this and it does not work on an existing season pass. Channel is editable only when creating new season pass. Sorry, my bad.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #128
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
In Season Pass manager, go to your show, click select.
Click right to get into Modify Season Pass.
Click Select.
Scroll down until you get to Channel.

At this point, if this is the only channel the series shows on, it is not editable, and there is nothing you can do this way. However, if there are multiple channels with the series of the same name, it will let you pick which one to use (click left or right arrow). I have seen this when there is a series that has a lots of reruns of old episodes on one channel and new episodes on another. I was wondering if the new channel actually having the series will show in addition to the old one. Probably won't work unless the series has episodes in the current guide (next 11-12 days).

Wait, I just tried this and it does not work on an existing season pass. Channel is editable only when creating new season pass. Sorry, my bad.
Hey, thanks so much for trying! I really appreciate you looking at this. It seems like this would be such an easy thing for them to make possible. It would really avoid the headache of having to wait for the show to be in the guide, create a new SP, and delete the old one, or to go in and 'wishlist' a ton of shows, which is more of a PITA than it's worth, IMO.

I'm just listing the shows that could be affected. Yeah, I'm kind of a nut with list-making. It helps me to organize and feel comfortable that I'm not missing anything. I actually only have 33 SP shows on my living room Tivo that will be affected and, I'm sure, quite a few less on the bdrm Tivo because that one has about 85% Discovery ID shows, and that channel number isn't changing (thank goodness for that!).

Most of what will have to be re-done are Premium channel shows (HBO & Sho) because they actually change the names of the various channels within just HBO and Showtime. If they didn't change the names (i.e. HBOP to HBO West, etc) the conversion might be seamless.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #129
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
In Season Pass manager, go to your show, then down to upcoming, right to the future show on the other channel listed, should have a create Season Pass. Then, you can delete the older one.
Yeah, that's how I do them. I figured that to be the easiest way when we had a bunch of channel number changes a couple of years ago.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #130
sharkster

Does anybody else have problems with single click rewind (one arrow) since the last update? When I just want to back up a smidge, whether it's live viewing or a recording, it stalls out. It just starts to rewind and stops. Sometimes it will continue after a few moments but often it won't go anywhere unless I hit RW again (putting it on two arrows).

In the ten years I've had Tivos (8 years with S2 machines and 2 years with S4 Premieres) I've never had this experience, until just lately.

BTW, I don't think it's any one piece of equipment because it happens on both of my Tivos.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #131
tatergator1

Quote:
Does anybody else have problems with single click rewind (one arrow) since the last update? When I just want to back up a smidge, whether it's live viewing or a recording, it stalls out. It just starts to rewind and stops. Sometimes it will continue after a few moments but often it won't go anywhere unless I hit RW again (putting it on two arrows).

In the ten years I've had Tivos (8 years with S2 machines and 2 years with S4 Premieres) I've never had this experience, until just lately.

BTW, I don't think it's any one piece of equipment because it happens on both of my Tivos.
I've not noticed this. Have you noticed a pattern regarding channels it occurs on, or does it seem to happen for everything? There are some nuances of MPEG2 encoding that can make 1x REW/FF behave badly.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #132
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I've not noticed this. Have you noticed a pattern regarding channels it occurs on, or does it seem to happen for everything? There are some nuances of MPEG2 encoding that can make 1x REW/FF behave badly.
Hi Gator! It seems to happen across the board and on both live tv and recordings.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #133
Nargg

I just wanted to through in my 2 cents on this update. 1. YouTube stinks. Please bring back the old YouTube that was faster and didn't flake out or cause my TiVo to reboot. 2. speaking of reboot, what's up with that? My XL4 now reboots randomly many times a week since getting the update. This is not fun anymore. I'd hate to dump TiVo, but if it continues to interrupt my TV watching to reboot or mess up recordings then I see no reason to have it any more.
Nargg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #134
alanpgh

No problems here. I have a Tivo Premiere XL4.

Problems went away when I added a range extender to my Wi-Fi.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #135
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
I just wanted to through in my 2 cents on this update. 1. YouTube stinks. Please bring back the old YouTube that was faster and didn't flake out or cause my TiVo to reboot. 2. speaking of reboot, what's up with that? My XL4 now reboots randomly many times a week since getting the update. This is not fun anymore. I'd hate to dump TiVo, but if it continues to interrupt my TV watching to reboot or mess up recordings then I see no reason to have it any more.
If your XL4 is randomly rebooting that often you most likely have a hard drive issue, it's not the update. My Elite has been rock-solid.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #136
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If your XL4 is randomly rebooting that often you most likely have a hard drive issue, it's not the update. My Elite has been rock-solid.
I would normally agree,

But, the last 10 days or so, all my Tivos have been randomly rebooting at different times and frequency. I have tried to study the logs after it has happened, but have not been able to determine why.

Roamio Pro - once every 1 - 2 days
Elite/XL4 - once to 3x's per day
Premiere - every 2 - 3 days (Premiere has a brand new 2TB HDD)

Something odd is happening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #137
jrtroo
User

Are they on a power filter or UPS? In the spring when the weather changes there are lots of things the power company is doing to get ready, including operating capacitors on the line, which changes its impedance.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #138
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I would normally agree,

But, the last 10 days or so, all my Tivos have been randomly rebooting at different times and frequency. I have tried to study the logs after it has happened, but have not been able to determine why.

Roamio Pro - once every 1 - 2 days
Elite/XL4 - once to 3x's per day
Premiere - every 2 - 3 days (Premiere has a brand new 2TB HDD)

Something odd is happening.
Add me to this list.

I'm only running Roamios. But, for about two weeks, daily reboots at random times, sometimes more than once a day, happening when they are recording, not recording - but in use for Live TV, as well as one that sits in standby 99% of the time (which is the one rebooting the most).

A symptom is that while new recordings occur, the drive usage bar won't advance beyond exactly 50%, which is not right.

I suspected hard drive issues too. I use WD Red NAS 3TB drives in my three base model Roamios. I ran all the WD Diags before using the drives. I can't get the drives to show ANY SMART value degradation, when tested on a PC and the tests complete in a shorter time than estimated.

When tested in Roamio, the extended tests built into KS54 (IR mode remote, or RF/IR remote set to IR-only mode required to get kickstart menus on Roamios), estimate the test should take ~480 minutes, I aborted after 2500 minutes had passed. The SMART values still are perfect. I am now running the Roamio SMART off-line data gathering test, estimated at ~716 minutes to finish, and have passed the 1000 minute (right now). All the SMART short tests in KS54, in Roamios, complete quickly, and pass.

When I had Premieres, that came stock with 320GB drives, which I had upgraded to 2TB drives, the same long SMART tests finished either in less time than the estimate, or within ~10% beyond the estimated times.

I'll be moving along to trying any other kickstart tests that still are available on Roamios (although, as with the upgraded Premieres, the only HDD tests that larger drives would do were the SMART ones, and not the TiVo-specific ones, which cease to work without a stock drive).

The last thing I will try after all else is running SpinRite to try and get a better verification on whether or not there is anything, at all, wrong with the drives.

I'm beginning to think that it's a TiVo problem, perhaps related to hardware, or the wall-wart power supplies (mine run very hot to the touch). The drives are running very cool, and the MBT is below 50 degrees on all units (although, the tiny fans are spinning like jet turbines, and making noise like min-jet turbines).

That's all I can report at this time. I'll check back in later to update what I find, and/or don't find, and compare notes with anybody else having issues like recently reported (spontaneous reboots beginning ~2 weeks ago).

Yes, I realize this is a Premiere thread/area. I thought sharing that I'm having similar issues with my Roamios may be helpful.

Yes, all my TiVos are on UPS battery backup, with a full 120-125V of power.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #139
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Viewing your TiVo logs, 2 methods (in or out of the TiVo)

For those interested in viewing your TiVo logs, see my post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10034072
Old 03-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #140
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Very strange that these reboots are just starting recently when we've all had the updates for months now. You'd also think that a reboot would buy you a good bit of time before another one if it's memory-related but I guess that depends on which process is running out of memory and why.

I haven't had any reboots, the only problem I've had is one that I saw last year - my Elite will lose all tuner and playback capability, all you get is a black screen for live TV or anything you try to play and nothing gets recorded. Reboot clears it up and this recent incident is only the second time I've seen it in almost two years.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #141
pninen

I must add my voice to the chorus. Multiple reboots/day starting sometime in the last couple of weeks, same as the dozens of other people reporting same symptom, starting at same time. There are at least 5 threads here discussing this.
pninen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #142
bsd

Reboot problem

Same issue here on a Premiere Elite. I thought I was going to have to replace my hard drive, but it looks like its a software issue. No tuning adaptor. Started rebooting about 2 weeks ago. I have a regular Premiere that doesn't have the same issue (or at least I haven't noticed it since I watch it less frequently).
bsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #143
bobwinsthem

Is the 20.3.8 update the thing that "broke" Netflix on some Premiers?
bobwinsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #144
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Reboot problem

See my post here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10038994 for a potential fix for this.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #145
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10039469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We found an interaction between the box and the service that was causing some random reboots. We made a change to the service last night that should resolve the problem. Please make a connection to the TiVo Service.

If you experience more than one reboot after making the connection to the TiVo Service, please email me your TSN with the subject "Random Reboots". (margret@tivo.com)

I am very sorry for the trouble!
--Margret

NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #146
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Recent random reboot problem (multiple platforms) - TiVoMargret responds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We found an interaction between the box and the service that was causing some random reboots. We made a change to the service last night that should resolve the problem. Please make a connection to the TiVo Service.

If you experience more than one reboot after making the connection to the TiVo Service, please email me your TSN with the subject "Random Reboots". (margret@tivo.com)

I am very sorry for the trouble!
--Margret
Great to hear!

However, if this "service interaction issue" causing the reboots caused any corruption of the databases/structures as a result of the primary cause, my advice in this post http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10038994 may clean up any lingering issues.

If us TiVo users didn't have TiVoMargret, this issue would likely be repeatedly denied by the TiVo CS Reps, as even existing, go on for months, and we'd all be stuck doing the CSR scripted support dance, which usually includes finding any way to blame the problem on anything except TiVo (the product and/or the company).