TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Netflix speed on a TiVo?
NETFLIX works faster on my S3 2 18.18%
NETFLIX works faster on my S4/Premiere 3 27.27%
NETFLIX works the same on my S3 & S4 1 9.09%
I gave up on NETFLIX on an S3/S4 and just use it on a Mini/Roamio unit 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
mcf57

Is it me or does your Netflix work better on an S3 over an S4/Premiere?

I have a lifetime Series 3 (OLED) that is still cranking away great. I hadn't really been using it in a while (its in a guest room) & it more or less just serves as a cable box, but I did recently try to use its Netflix. I noticed that Netflix on this device loads a LOT faster than on one of my lifetime 2-tuner Premieres (all hard wired ethernet).

I realize the S3 Netflix is not pretty. Can't do easy searches, resuming of TV series and it will only do the first profile in my account, but it seems to work much faster. Getting NETFLIX to work on my premiere is painful at times. I have had to reboot the Premiere at times to get it fully working. I actually also have a Mini and Netflix on this device is the best of any, but anybody else have better luck (in terms of speed) with Netflix on an S3 over an S4/Premiere? Just wondering
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

The experience on my old box has deteriorated over the last few months. I cannot hold an HD signal to save its life, and its oh so painful to wait for it to buffer down. I could care less about taking an extra 15 seconds to load the app, the premiere experience is so much better.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
mcf57

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The experience on my old box has deteriorated over the last few months. I cannot hold an HD signal to save its life, and its oh so painful to wait for it to buffer down. I could care less about taking an extra 15 seconds to load the app, the premiere experience is so much better.
Hmmm, I now wonder if NETFLIX on my S3 is faster due to a recent "clear and delete" everything. Like Micro$uck WIndoze, wiping it out could have cleared out all kinds of junk. Maybe not though.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
mattack

While Netflix obviously uses the net, MAYBE the "net-centricness" of the Premieres is taking up a lot of the CPU time and slowing them down?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I realize the S3 Netflix is not pretty. Can't do easy searches, resuming of TV series and it will only do the first profile in my account...
Also can't do 1080 res video, 5.1 sound or captions/subtitles (except, of course, burned in subs). It also is non-adaptive video; if it can't keep up with the video bit rate that it chose when it started playing a title it will stop and rebuffer lower bit rate video and cannot go back to higher quality video if conditions on your connection improve. Perhaps none of this matters to you .

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

All the apps are a bit slow on the Premiere units. The Roamio units are way better for apps.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 AM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I don't use NetFlix on a TiVo, because it has crashed the entire device too many times, causing loss of active recordings. I use the NetFlix app in my Blu-Ray player now.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I love my S3 box compared to my Premiere box...but Netflix on any TiVo is a pain so I just use the Roku.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
buscuitboy

I use to not like Netflix on ANY TiVo, but recently got a mini and it works really well on this device. I assume its the same speed and functionality on a Roamio.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I love my S3 box compared to my Premiere box...but Netflix on any TiVo is a pain so I just use the Roku.
This. Roku + TiVo = priceless.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I have eight devices attached to this panel and AVR which have Netflix players (this PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, TiVo Roamio, Roku 3, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and WD TV Live); additionally I have some other Netflix playing devices in use elsewhere (TiVo Premiere, TiVo S3, Roku 2 XS, Sony BDP-S390, Panasonic DMP-BDT110). My current favorite Netflix streamer is TiVo Roamio. I prefer it over Roku 3, my second favorite, because it has the new common UI and this little stream status display (small white text) that I like; otherwise the players are identical. The same status display is available on WD TV Live and PS3, but TV Live has the old UI and laggy control and the launch model PS3 is a noisy power hog.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote