TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Was the Glo Remote standard with the S3 (OLED) unit?

The title pretty much says it all. I may have a chance to get a S3. Was the Glo Remote the standard remote that came with ALL Series 3 (OLED....TCD648250B) TiVos back in the day?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
supasta

Yes.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
blacknoi

The only down side in my opinion of the glo remote is that it needs 4 AAA instead of 2 AA that the other Tivo peanut remotes take.

Battery life is also a little shorter due to the backlighting (it can be disabled if you want).
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
buscuitboy

Yea, I actually have another Series 3 (OLED) with a glo remote that i got from someone else. I am well aware of the battery issue. I use 4 AAA rechargeables and this approach works good. I like the backlight feature since its used in a bedroom at night frequently.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
bru_man

Sucks when the remote gets suck down the back of the sofa and the back light runs down the batteries. I switched to rechargeables as well. The rubber paint is also coming off commonly used buttons. I still use my series 1 remote which is still my favorite out of the S3, HD, S1, DriectTV HD (most annoying one since the buttons are in a different places)
bru_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
CrashHD
I am the me.

The backlit remote is a battery suckhog. I use 750 mAh rechargeables, and it sucks 'em dry once a month. I charge them with a maha-c9000, and I can verify the battery capacity. The remote is actually using that much power. Whereas other standard remotes have had 2000mAh pairs of AA installed in them, and haven't been out for recharge since they were new, 3 or 4 years ago...
Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I turned off the backlighting since the feel in the Glo is so good I don't need it, and I get over a year for alkalines, there are some uses that rechargables are not the best suited for.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
CrashHD
I am the me.

I use sanyo eneloops for my rechargeables. They will hold a charge for years, don't self-discharge like other rechargeables, and I have yet to find a usage where they don't outlast alkalines. Best of all, they don't leak nastiness when fully discharged.

I may have to look into turning off the glo feature.