TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
mp11

remote problems?

On my TivoHD during the last few months, I've noticed that when pressing keys on the remote, that it's actually performing a "double click" action. I.E. it's actually pressing the button twice. Even happens when "paging up" or down also. Tried changing batteries, but problem persists. Is it a problem with the remote or the sensor on the unit? BTW Tivo is about 5 years old.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I have the same problem on my 5 year old THD but not on every key press, just often enough to be a nuisance. It got bad enough a year ago that I even replaced the remote with another Tivo remote from Amazon (much cheaper than from Tivo). It seemed OK for a month or two then became at least as bad as the original remote. My guess is it's the remotes, not the Tivo. BTW this problem is commonly called "double keying", just FYI.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I have the same problem on my 5 year old THD but not on every key press, just often enough to be a nuisance. It got bad enough a year ago that I even replaced the remote with another Tivo remote from Amazon (much cheaper than from Tivo). It seemed OK for a month or two then became at least as bad as the original remote. My guess is it's the remotes, not the Tivo. BTW this problem is commonly called "double keying", just FYI.
Is that the same as switch bounce?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is that the same as switch bounce?
OK with me. Remote buttons and keyboard keys are switches and in general they bounce and their interface circuits must be designed to de-bounce them to prevent (undesired) double-keying.

I know enough about you to suspect you were just playing dumb to put me on. Hope my explanation passes muster.

and
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
OK with me. Remote buttons and keyboard keys are switches and in general they bounce and their interface circuits must be designed to de-bounce them to prevent (undesired) double-keying.

I know enough about you to suspect you were just playing dumb to put me on. Hope my explanation passes muster.
I've heard of switch bounce--it's something switch designers try to avoid or minimize and switch interface circuitry designers try to anticipate and counter-act without blocking intentional repetition (like when you meant to enter 22 instead of just 2), but hadn't encountered the term "double-keying" in this context previously, and wanted to be sure I knew to what you were referring.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I'm doubting my double-keying definition now -- maybe it was a brain fart.
Googling it doesn't result in any hits related to switch bounce. Rather to actually hitting the key or button twice, either intentionally or accidentally.

and
Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:
I'm doubting my double-keying definition now -- maybe it was a brain fart.
Googling it doesn't result in any hits related to switch bounce. Rather to actually hitting the key or button twice, either intentionally or accidentally.
In the old days, relating to keyboards, I think it was called "contact bounce". But it's actually more a contact rubbing effect, where the resistance fluctuates as the switch contacts wipe across each other. Some wiping action was good to avoid buildup of oxidation on the contact surfaces. I think modern keyboards tend not to use switches that actually make physical contact.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
WhiskeyTango

My remote started giving problems around the 5 year mark (a few months ago). Double button presses on some buttons and others barely worked no matter how hard you pressed them. I gave up and got a new remote and havne't had any problems since.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
tleonhar

I started getting the same problem, it's a major PITA. What is the warranty period with the remote? Mine is less than 4 months old. From the number of people reporting this problem, it seems to be a rather common problem and appears to have been around for a long time. IMHO Tivo needs to address this issue, as a retired EE, it should be a simple fix to increase the de-bounce time in the remote with a simple component value change.
tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I'm just living with mine -- doesn't seem to get any worse and isn't bad enough to be a major bother. I'm not sure the remotes are the problem. I also use my remote for several TV functions (power, audio volume, mute, input selection) and I don't see the double keying on those.

I bought my second remote from Amazon and it appears to be exactly identical to the TiVo remote -- and a lot cheaper. (But it double keys just like the original one.)

and
Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
tleonhar

I reported the problem to tivo via online chat, they had me reset the remote. This did solve the problem for a couple hours, now it came back only worse than ever. Now instead of just double clicks, I sometimes get three or four.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Weird! I was going to ask how to reset a remote but sounds like that's the wrong thing to do!

and
Old 10-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
tleonhar

To reset, cover the emitter while you hold down the tivo and tv power buttons till the light comes on steady. then press thumbs down 3 times, then enter. after that you have to reprogram for your tv power etc. Personally, with all the complaints I've been seeing with this issue, I cannot understand why Tivo doesn't issue a recall, or at least redesign this area of the remote, this problem seems to have been going on since day one of Tivo.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
tleonhar

Just a quick update. I emailed Tivo customer support with this issue. They replied that they are sending me a new remote free of charge.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleonhar View Post
Just a quick update. I emailed Tivo customer support with this issue. They replied that they are sending me a new remote free of charge.
Great! Please post whether the new one eliminates the problem -- for more than a month or to.

BTW, which TiVo model do you have? Mine is the TiVo HD, model 652160.

and
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
tleonhar

Just got the new remote today. It is quite a bit different than the original one, first it's about an inch shorter and a couple of the buttons are rearranged, actually more user friendly IMO. But the most significant difference is the feel of the buttons, on the new one, when you push any given button, there is a much more distinct "click" to it, this has my hopes up since it now feels more like an actual switch closure when pressing.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleonhar View Post
Just got the new remote today. It is quite a bit different than the original one, first it's about an inch shorter and a couple of the buttons are rearranged, actually more user friendly IMO. But the most significant difference is the feel of the buttons, on the new one, when you push any given button, there is a much more distinct "click" to it, this has my hopes up since it now feels more like an actual switch closure when pressing.
Is it one of those with the 4 color coded buttons?