TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #181
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy in NY View Post
I actually commemorated the occasion by buying a new Monster HDMI cable.
Congrats(?) on obtaining a new TiVo.

I don't know how much you paid for a monster cable; but it was likely too much.
There is nothing magic about monster cables, except their marketing, and lightening your pocket book...
A generic HDMI cable for probably 1/5th the price will work just as well.

Here's a place in NY, probably not near you but... check them out.
I can buy a 6' HDMI cable and have it shipped to CA for less than $10.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/HD...3/N/4288594203
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #182
Wendy in NY

Haha. yeah I know. I actually paid $15 bucks for it at J & R for a 6 footer. Just covering all my bases and I hope that this time no reboots, audio drop offs, etc.!
Wendy in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #183
Teeps

Quote:
Haha. yeah I know. I actually paid $15 bucks for it at J & R for a 6 footer. Just covering all my bases and I hope that this time no reboots, audio drop offs, etc.!
That's not a terrible price.
Monster Cable branding IS brilliance in marketing...
Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #184
Wendy in NY

Teeps guess what???

So as I mentioned earlier, I have to reactivate the outgoing box in order for me to transfer season passes to the new box and then deactivate it once I'm done. I reactivated on Friday and today (Sunday) I called to deactivate it. The XL4 is in place, the Elite is boxed and ready to be shipped back to TiVo tomorrow.

So you ever have that moment when you call customer service and you just happen to call at the right time and get the best agent EVER? That's what happened to me today.

As a veteran TiVo box replacer, I called to deactivate outgoing box #5. As is customary, the agent asks why the deactivation. I gave him the short version and he became very concerned and placed me on hold to look through my records. To make a long story short, what would normally be a 5 minute call became a 45 minute call. After scouring through my records and going back and forth with his supervisor, they've agreed to send me a Roamio Plus--on the house! But wait! I said that I was actually lookinig to get the Roamio Pro with my Lifetime Service transferred over as well. A little back and forth with his supervisor again and they said YES!

The customer support agent is Dylan and it's who'll I'll always ask for if ever I need to contact customer (not tech) supoort again. Woohoo!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #185
DaveDFW

Quote:
After scouring through my records and going back and forth with his supervisor, they've agreed to send me a Roamio Plus--on the house!
That sounds like a very good consolation prize for all your trouble--the Plus is definitely an upgrade. Congratulations!
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #186
Teeps

Quote:
Teeps guess what???

So as I mentioned earlier, I have to reactivate the outgoing box in order for me to transfer season passes to the new box and then deactivate it once I'm done. I reactivated on Friday and today (Sunday) I called to deactivate it. The XL4 is in place, the Elite is boxed and ready to be shipped back to TiVo tomorrow.

So you ever have that moment when you call customer service and you just happen to call at the right time and get the best agent EVER? That's what happened to me today.

As a veteran TiVo box replacer, I called to deactivate outgoing box #5. As is customary, the agent asks why the deactivation. I gave him the short version and he became very concerned and placed me on hold to look through my records. To make a long story short, what would normally be a 5 minute call became a 45 minute call. After scouring through my records and going back and forth with his supervisor, they've agreed to send me a Roamio Plus--on the house! But wait! I said that I was actually lookinig to get the Roamio Pro with my Lifetime Service transferred over as well. A little back and forth with his supervisor again and they said YES!

The customer support agent is Dylan and it's who'll I'll always ask for if ever I need to contact customer (not tech) supoort again. Woohoo!
All things come to "she" that waits, is patient, is kind, is persistent...
GOOD ON YOU Wendy!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #187
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
That sounds like a very good consolation prize for all your trouble--the Plus is definitely an upgrade. Congratulations!
Thanks but even better is the upgrade from the Plus to the Pro which is what they're sending me!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #188
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hopefully any issues you had will now be a thing of the past.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #189
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Hopefully any issues you had will now be a thing of the past.
Oh man we can only hope! I feel like I need for it to go through a full year without issues.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #190
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Awesome news Wendy. Hope the new box works flawlessly. Keep us posted!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #191
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Awesome news Wendy. Hope the new box works flawlessly. Keep us posted!
Definitely will do. It arrives today and I'll probably hook it up on Saturday since I've got recordings going on today and tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #192
aaronwt
HD Addict

So what happened with the Roamio?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #193
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So what happened with the Roamio?
I must say that I am thoroughly THOROUGHLY enjoying the Roamio. For starters, ALL of my season passes from 2 boxes ago transferred over so I was ecstatic when that happened. Second, this box is FAST, especially when going through the menus. There's no delay. So far so good and I hope I haven't jinxed myself! LOL

I like the new font look, it makes it seem cleaner and modern, if that makes any sense. The remote control is smaller than the standard remote and it's a little bigger than the slide remote. I guess it's "just right". With this remote you can actually use it through walls as long as it's pointing toward the TiVo. It's not a learning remote so you have to manually program it per your TV/Receiver's brand codes which TiVo supplies. The slide remote works but I'm not using it.

Again, I'm very happy with this new box so far.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #194
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
I must say that I am thoroughly THOROUGHLY enjoying the Roamio. For starters, ALL of my season passes from 2 boxes ago transferred over so I was ecstatic when that happened. Second, this box is FAST, especially when going through the menus. There's no delay. So far so good and I hope I haven't jinxed myself! LOL

I like the new font look, it makes it seem cleaner and modern, if that makes any sense. The remote control is smaller than the standard remote and it's a little bigger than the slide remote. I guess it's "just right". With this remote you can actually use it through walls as long as it's pointing toward the TiVo. It's not a learning remote so you have to manually program it per your TV/Receiver's brand codes which TiVo supplies. The slide remote works but I'm not using it.

Again, I'm very happy with this new box so far.
no, it doesn't matter where you point it. it's RF. hence the "through walls"
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #195
Wendy in NY

My Roamio Pro just spontaneously rebooted. I'm cursed.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #196
pspens

Quote:
How long have you had it? I've had grey screens about 4 times now in a year.
Cold-booting has solved all of those. I'm using a Premier 4 though.

Ok,looking back I see you've had it about 5 months. What's the difference between the Plus and the Pro?

Last edited by pspens : 02-10-2014 at 11:08 PM.
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #197
Ziggy86

Quote:
Mine rebooted as well and would not stop, I had to unplug it and wait a few minutes then plug it back in, now it is working again.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #198
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Mine rebooted as well and would not stop, I had to unplug it and wait a few minutes then plug it back in, now it is working again.
Lord help anyone who's near me if this friggin' thing reboots during the recording of The Walking Dead.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #199
Wendy in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
How long have you had it? I've had grey screens about 4 times now in a year.
Cold-booting has solved all of those. I'm using a Premier 4 though.

Ok,looking back I see you've had it about 5 months. What's the difference between the Plus and the Pro?
Hiya. I started out with the problem free Premiere XL back in 5/2011. In 10/2011 I upgraded to the Premiere Elite and from then through 6 months ago, I must've had 5 Premiere Elites because it was constantly rebooting, audio drop offs--and everything would always be swell until 5 months later when the problems would start. I've now had the Roamio Pro (which I got gratis since I constantly had issues with the Elites) for 5 months so yeah, it's about that time for the screw-ups to begin. I'm cursed I tell ya.

The Pro vs the Plus: Scroll down to compare: https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio
Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #200
Doit2it

Looks like I've got the bug too. The XL4 I've had since Dec. 2012 has started rebooting randomly 2 to 5 times a day. Occasionally it will boot twice and get hung on the second boot. Totally random, nothing sets it off. I've been in menus, watching a show, even seen it reboot when not using it. I have noticed the MBT is 40C, but the box and very slight breeze from the fan are both cool.

I opened and blew out the case with canned air. Only a light dusting inside, no bunnies. The MBT still climbs to 40C eventually. I also reseated the HD and CC.

Scanning this thread, some believe a bad CC may be to blame for some reboots. I've had no issues with my CC. Are there any indicators it may be going bad? Any other thoughts or suggestions before I do the Tivo $350 replacement? S̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶$̶5̶0̶ ̶P̶S̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶1̶s̶t̶?̶ Weaknees doesn't sell XL4 PS.

Thanks for any info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed

Last edited by Doit2it : 02-16-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #201
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

XL4 suddenly reboots often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
The XL4 I've had since Dec. 2012 has started rebooting randomly 2 to 5 times a day
Both of my Premiere XL4's have been spontaneously rebooting at least twice a day since February 10th, so I'm sure it's related to bad data being delivered to them by TiVo's servers, not hardware failure.

Usually the reboot is followed by the blue LED lighting up, indicating an attempt to upload a podcast to the DVR may have caused the initial crash. The DVR with fewer podcast subscriptions and Season Passes crashes less often.

A similar spate of reboots happened to both of my XL4's about a year ago then corrected itself, so hopefully TiVo's engineers are working on a fix. It's nice having two identical DVRs so I can rule out hardware issues when things like this happen.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #202
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
since February 10th, so I'm sure it's related to bad data being delivered to them by TiVo's servers, not hardware failure.
So would a Kickstart help? KS 51, 52, and 56 are software installs. Of course software isn't the same as guide data. I did try a KS57 which completed and I still have the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #203
Nargg

For the past couple of weeks my 2 year old XL4 unit has all of a sudden has this reboot issue. So do we wait for TiVo to fix it? Or try a dropkick or something?
Nargg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #204
wtherrell

Suddenly mine started doing the same thing. Glad to know mine isn't the only one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #205
jjd416

I am having the same problem too. Mine started rebooting every few days a couple of weeks ago. Never experienced this problem before. I know it is rebooting because I have to go through the steps to have the clock displayed again. It's happening when I'm not watching it and other times when I am. Mine is a Premiere XL. My other Premiere doesn't have the same problem.

It's VERY annoying!!!
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #206
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The last 10 days or so, all my Tivos have been randomly rebooting at different times and frequency. I have tried to study the logs after it has happened, but have not been able to determine why.

Roamio Pro - once every 1 - 2 days
Elite/XL4 - once to 3x's per day
Premiere - every 2 - 3 days (Premiere has a brand new 2TB HDD)

Something odd is happening.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #207
b_scott
TiVo Fan

sounds like you're having brownouts. are any of them on battery backups?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #208
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
sounds like you're having brownouts. are any of them on battery backups?
Mine are on a good UPS. Besides, nothing else in the house is affected.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #209
shippy

I've also been having this issue on my XL4 for 1-2 weeks. I can tell because my shows list goes back to sort by date rather than name. I haven't lost anything yet that I can tell and it hasn't happened while watching something, but it's very concerning as my TiVo is normally quite reliable.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #210
pninen

A couple of weeks ago my Premier XL4 started randomly rebooting. Happens a couple of times per evening. (Might do it in the day too for all I know.)

I thought it was likely a failing box, but I see lots of other people are having the same problem.

For me it seems to occur often just as I click one of the buttons on the remote, such as the right or left arrow. Other times it just reboots in the middle of a show when no buttons have been clicked.
pninen is offline   Reply With Quote