Connecting a TiVo series 2 to DirecTV receiver via USB
Connecting a TiVo series 2 DVR (Digital Video Recorder) to a DirecTV model D12-500 STB (Set Top Box) via a serial RS-232 to USB connection
Note: One can use the IR cable that comes with the TiVo but the channel changing is very slow and TiVo enters 3 digits for a channel up function.
You will need the following components:
A TiVo serial RS-232 cable with a 3.5mm plug on one end and a male DB-9 connector on the other end. This cable is provided with your TiVo. (If needed, try eBay or TiVo. com)
A Female DB-9 to Female DB-9 gender changer
A DB-9 male to female Null modem adapter
A USB to serial cable. This cable must have the pl2303 chip which is compatible with linux. (the pl2303X chips do not work according to mythtv. org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_USB_or_Serial#Over view)
According to mythtv. org
Known good adapters are:
1. The Sabrent USB->Serial port adapter newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156008)
1. WARNING: I ordered one of these and it no longer works with the DirecTV box. These are now using the pl2303X chips instead of the pl2303 and do not work.
2. IOGEAR GUC232A, ATEN UC-232A (pl2303), BAFO BF-810, QVS UR-2000M2, Sabrent SBT-USC1M and other PL2303 based adapters are known working.
1. WARNING: I ordered two of these (Sabrent?) and they no longer work with the DirecTV box. These are now using the pl2303X chips instead of the pl2303 and do not work.
2. A new IOGear GUC232A unit worked for me on 2010-06-17, so either they still use the older rev (unlikely) or DirecTV upgraded to a newer Linux kernel that fixes the driver bug with the new revision (likely).
3. [cablestogo. com/product.asp?cat%5fid=1529&sku=26886]
1. July 06, 2007 Update: It has been reported that EMTC (emtcompany. com/products/adapters/dxubdb9-usb-to-serial-db9-adapter-cable.htm) is no longer shipping linux compatible (PL2303) cables. Previously, they were a good and inexpensive supplier, but the replacement cables are not compatible. DO NOT BUY THESE
4. GWC UC320 (newegg. com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107108). This has been reported to work on both the HD20-100 and D11-500 boxes as of November, 2007.
5. dtvcontrol.com/index.aspx?content=cable, which shows up under linux as "Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port"
6. Dynex DX-UBDB9 purchased off of ebay (February 2009 and August 2009) work fine on the H20-600, H20-100 and H21-200.
7. Paterson Technology USB TV Translator. Works flawlessly on an H23 receiver (also works with D11, D12, and H20) and has additional logic to eliminate the channel banner quickly.
8. Other cables/adapters are unknown (use at your own risk).
Be careful, a lot of these adapters are no longer pl2303 based although they carry the same Model number. Try cooldvr.com. He carries a complete set of cables (pc or mac to stb) that are tested to work. Cost about the same as buying the parts individually
Official USB to Serial Cable Support
According to the Installers Guide V2.2, the following USB to Serial Adapters are fully supported:
Supported USB-Serial Adapters
Manufacturer Model USB Vendor ID USB Product ID
IOGEAR GUC232A 0x067B 0x2303
ATEN UC-232A 0x067B 0x2303
BAFO BF-810 0x067B 0x2303
Therefore, it is possible (though not guaranteed) that your particular USB-Serial adapter will work if it has:
USB Vendor ID= 0x067B
USB Product ID= 0x2303
Connect the cables and adapters together. Plug the 3.5mm plug into the Serial port on the back of the TiVo series 2. Plug the USB cable into the back of the DirecTV model D12 receiver. Unplug the power cord on the receiver and then plug it back in.
On the TiVo Series 2 unit, use the TiVo remote and…
Press TiVo to Go to messages and settings
Channel Changing (if this is not visible, you will have to repeat Guided setup by resetting your TiVo and adding on a DirecTV satellite receiver)
No, I’ve switched to a different satellite box
DirecTV brand remote
Use Serial cable
Your TiVo remote will now be able to change channels on the satellite receiver.
Now on the DirecTV receiver, using the DirecTV remote, change the banner display time;
Change Banner display time to 2 seconds. (Or see DIRECTV Set-Top Box Information for
the Installer manual, see below.)
mythtv. org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_USB_or_Serial#Over view
pdp8. net/directv/directv.shtml_for the Windows "directv.pl" perl script
patersontech. com/support/support.aspx_(couldn’t find the USB TV translator here)