I spent too much time this morning on the phone with both Tivo and then Dish Network. Both CSRs were unable to solve this problem, but after lots of searching, I found a procedure that solved all my issues. I'm posting it here so that the next unfortunate Tivo and Dish customer that gets this model of receiver from Dish Network will hopefully have a better experience than I did:
Dish Network has very recently started deploying a new model of the 211 receiver: vip-211k. Tivo doesn't have any reference to this new model in their CSR database and Tivo couldn't control mine with the IR blaster. None of the Dish Network codes would work nor would any additional codes entered into the advanced settings.
The vip-211k was, by default, set to an 'address' that Tivo couldn't control. I found a procedure to change the address in the User's Guide, Chapter 9, page 50 and I changed it to address mode '1':
- Press System Info on the receiver's front panel. The system Information screen displays and shows the Remote Address. Write that down in case you need it.
- Press and hold SAT on your vip-211k remote control for about three seconds, until all of the mode buttons light up, and then let go of SAT
- Use the NUMBER PAD on your vip-211k remote to enter the number: 1
- Press POUND(#). If you entered the address correctly, SAT will flash three times.
- Press RECORD on the vip-211k remote. The screen should update. Make sure the Remote Address you see on the System Information screen now displays '1'. If it isn't, the remote control cannot operate the receiver.
- Press SELECT to close the System Information screen.
After the steps above, I was able to tell the Tivo I had a 'Dish Network' receiver and it was able to change channels on the new receiver.