TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Photo_Joe

Can a Series 3 HD TCD652160 connect to a MoCA network?

Can a Series 3 HD TCD652160 connect to a MoCA network?

I have a new Roamio and I have been using a Cat 5 crossover cable to transfer content between the Roamio and the Series 3. This is a basic computer to computer network connection.

Has anyone had any success in connecting a Series 3 HD TiVo to a MoCA network?
Photo_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

The S3 doesn't have an internal MoCA adapter, they'll do fine if you purchase a MoCA adapter to use.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Photo_Joe

Thanks...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Photo_Joe

I found this here: What is MoCA?

https://www.tivo.com/my-account/how-to/what-moca

Can I use MoCA to connect my older TiVo (Series3 or Series2) to my MoCA network?

Yes, but itís probably not necessary. Older TiVo DVRs (Series3 and Series2) donít allow you to stream shows from other DVRs or use TiVo Stream, so a wireless or powerline connection is generally good enough to use. However, if you find transferring shows is too slow on your current network, you can upgrade to a MoCA connection. You would just need to use a MoCA Network Adapter to connect each Series3 or Series2 DVR to your MoCA network.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Photo_Joe,
I don't see what the point of posting that was, we know what MoCA is and what it does, we're just trying to answer your question.

However you have posted a wide variety of different questions in different sub-forums, and they clearly are connected but it's not easy to figure out what your end goal is.
Why not just post one thread in the Help section saying "new Roamio, and I have questions" and just put everything in there so we're not explaining things in multiple places without any idea why you're asking about them?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
Photo_Joe

Dianebrat,

Thanks again for your original answer to my question about connecting a Series 3 Tivo to a MoCA network. Your answer satisfied that question.

I was continuing to read and research online about setting up a MoCA network and that is when I found the additional information that I posted this evening.

I posted this to add to the informational database that makes up the forum.

Before posting my original question in this sub-forum I did both a google search and a search of this forum to see if I could find the answer without posting a question.
I posted my Series 3 question here because I thought that Series 3 users might be more apt to look here and have an answer to my question.

A few weeks ago I didn't what "MoCA" was and how it could be used for networking my TiVos and other devices.

I can now do a qoogle search that points to this thread as an answer to the question of being able to use a MoCA network with a Series 3 Tivo.

I posted in the sub-forums that seemed to be appropriate for the questions that I was asking.

I posted 2 questions, one yesterday and one today in the "TiVo Stream" sub-forum.
I did not think of both questions yesterday, so I posted a question yesterday and a question today.

I posted the here in the "TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs" sub-forum because I thought someone here would know the answer and you did.

I posted my positive experience with using a crossover cable to transfer between TiVo units in the "TiVo Roamio DVRs" sub-forum because I had read several entries about the lengthy time to transfer content between an older TiVo and a new Roamio wirelessly. My post was not a question, but to share experience that might help someone out.

Last edited by Photo_Joe : 03-05-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: correct spelling