TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
abr88

Google Play

I own a Tivo Series 3 HD. Can I download movies to it from Google Play? Thanks.
abr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

No. Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and YouTube are it.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
abr88

Doh!!!
abr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
canbonbon

Google TV might work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr88 View Post
Doh!!!
Alternatively you can buy a cheap (refurbished) GoogleTV (like I have) and connect it in between TIVO and the TV. Google TV overlays itself over the DVR and is pretty cool. I paid about $49 for it and is totally worth it. From what I have read lately, Google might have abandoned it and might be going for something else. But for my purposes, it works great. I am also able to stream local media from my NAS drive.

The best part is the way it overlays over TIVO and allows me to control the TIVO from its remote. It does have Amazon instant video, Youtube, VUDU and Google Play. So don't be dissuaded when you read articles like google TV is dead, etc. It might be, but it works for me in its present form. It probably sucks for those who bought it for $299 though.

I know it completely sucks that these companies don't play well with each other at the expense of the consumers. Good luck in your findings.
canbonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

canbonbon must be talking about the Logitech Revue (Google TV box), which I also have. I paid $99 for it new. It is a good client for Google Play videos as well as Amazon, Netflix and YouTube, better than Tivo for sure. I wasn't aware it was also a Vudu client.

You don't have to let it control your Tivo if you prefer to keep using the Tivo remote -- that is what I do.

The Revue is a discontinued product with no repair or replacement available from Logitech AFAIK. Mine seems to have memory leaks so I have to reboot it every couple of days or Netflix and YouTube video playback starts hesitating. I use a sideloaded task killer so I can see the free memory going down with time. Fortunately it takes well under a minute to reboot -- not like Tivo!

Given its limited memory and problems already without controlling my TiVo, I've always suspected it might have problems doing that task also, since I believe the program guide data must be stored in its memory for that.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
canbonbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
canbonbon must be talking about the Logitech Revue (Google TV box), which I also have. I paid $99 for it new. It is a good client for Google Play videos as well as Amazon, Netflix and YouTube, better than Tivo for sure. I wasn't aware it was also a Vudu client.

You don't have to let it control your Tivo if you prefer to keep using the Tivo remote -- that is what I do.

The Revue is a discontinued product with no repair or replacement available from Logitech AFAIK. Mine seems to have memory leaks so I have to reboot it every couple of days or Netflix and YouTube video playback starts hesitating. I use a sideloaded task killer so I can see the free memory going down with time. Fortunately it takes well under a minute to reboot -- not like Tivo!

Given its limited memory and problems already without controlling my TiVo, I've always suspected it might have problems doing that task also, since I believe the program guide data must be stored in its memory for that.
I actually have Vizio Co Star. Its probably second generation Google TV and *has* a VUDU client. Here is the link for it.
Vizio Costar

I don't know what that LT version is because mine is regular costar.

Thanks,

Last edited by canbonbon : 03-03-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
canbonbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Mine seems to have memory leaks so I have to reboot it every couple of days or Netflix and YouTube video playback starts hesitating. I use a sideloaded task killer so I can see the free memory going down with time. Fortunately it takes well under a minute to reboot -- not like Tivo!
Just do a factory reset and then *never* do any updates. I have heard that the updates of apps like youtube, etc. messes with the memory. I did that and life has been good since. I never run into any memory issues. I even Stream 3D movies from my NAS drive (15 gig each) without any issues. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
mcf57

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
I actually have Vizio Co Star. Its probably second generation Google TV and *has* a VUDU client. Here is the link for it.
Vizio Costar
I had tried a Vizio Co-Star a few months ago, but found it disappointing so it got returned. I liked the passthrough port option for my TiVo, but I couldn't get its remote to control my TiVo. The remote was kind of clunky too (maybe I am just too use to my TiVO peanut remote).

I could have also had a 1st generation unit. I hope the 2nd generation is much better. I also see how they now have a "Co-Star Light" player. Maybe this unit is better too. Otherwise, I will stick with my WDTV Live player that I have had good success with for years.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote