TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #2461
jmbach

The simplest for them is to ship you the whole unit and let you dismantle and upgrade it.
The second simplest is let them buy you a plane ticket so you can fly to them or wait until you are ready to visit them for another reason. (the last option is what my parents choose all the time)
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #2462
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
The simplest for them is to ship you the whole unit and let you dismantle and upgrade it.
The second simplest is let them buy you a plane ticket so you can fly to them or wait until you are ready to visit them for another reason. (the last option is what my parents choose all the time)
Cannot argue with a single point you make, as that would be easiest for them.

Having the whole unit was my original plan as well, but it is an international shipping scenario and the weight/size of the entire device and associated outrageous fees though feasible, make it an unpalatable option. On the plus side they have children local to them who can be indentured to be my hands for the local labor if the technical details are taken care of in advance.
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #2463
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post
... but it is an international shipping scenario ...
I didn't know TiVo had service available outside US.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #2464
scoombs

Puerto Rico, so only barely International.

I also believe Tivo was available in Canada and the UK at one time if not still.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #2465
jmbach

If cost is a factor and they don't mind not saving their shows, I would use DvrBARS and make a truncated backup of your elite image and do a quick restore to a 2TB drive and then c&de. Mail it to them and let someone there put it in for them. It seems that a newer S4 image can be run on an older S4 model as a few people have experimented with and have demonstrated. Not sure about the reverse. However YMMV. If it doesn't work, then have them mail both drives to you and do it the normal way. Your other option is to go to the DvrBARS thread and see if you can get the correct image for that model. Then use DvrBARS to put it on a drive and JMFS to expand.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #2466
ggieseke

I could cook up a pre-expanded 2TB 746 image and upload it to Dropbox. If you want to go that route, let me know what model of drive you plan to use so it doesn't exceed the actual number of sectors on your drive.

Depending on the hardware and expertise available at your in-laws you could write it to a drive and ship it to them, or let them do the entire procedure locally.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #2467
jmbach

If ggieseke makes you a 2TB image then this makes it even easier. As long as your in-laws have a windows based computer, you could both install a program called TeamViewer which allows you to remotely control their computer. DvrBARS is a windows based program. They can buy the drive and an external dock. Then you can tell them or whomever how to hook everything up. Then remotely you can download the image ggieseke gives you to their computer and download DvrBARS as well. Remotely run the program and place the image on the drive. Since you did not have to pay for the drive or shipping, spend that money and buy ggieseke several beers for helping you.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #2468
scoombs

Thanks all very much for the responses. I decided to go the safe route and get my hands on the unit and do it all myself so I can fully test and ensure it is functional.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #2469
jthomas

Bringing this conversation from another thread... I am trying to use JMFS to expand a WD30EURX to get it to the 2.1 tb so I can work my way up from there. When booting the JMFS from CD my computer (HP Elitebook 8460p, it has a Intel Core i5 vPro, with a Mobile Intel QM67 Express Chipset) the 3tb drive is not recognized at all. It will recognize any other drive I plug in. I'm using a sata to usb adapter with power supply for the hard drive. I am using usb 2.0. I gave it a shot on a usb 3.0 port but that didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.
jthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #2470
jmbach

What SATA to USB adapter are you using. One other thing to try is with the drive connected, boot JMFS and drop to the command line and run fdisk -l (lower case L) and see if the Linux OS sees the drive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jmbach : 03-01-2014 at 07:23 PM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #2471
unitron

Quote:
What SATA to USB adapter are you using. One other thing to try is with the drive connected, boot JMFS and drop to the command line and run frisk -l (lower case L) and see if the Linux OS sees the drive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I'm predicting jmbach's post will be edited to change that from

frisk -l

to

fdisk -l

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #2472
jmbach

Edited ;-D
Can't trust spell check.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #2473
jthomas

I'll try the fdisk, the frisk didn't work well. I'll have to wait until tomorrow though. I tried expanding the max size of the vhd and then expand it with the jmfs tools in a virtual machine. Right now it is restoring with DVRBars. It's running slow since the vhd is on my NAS and it's running over the network. If that works out should get me up to the 2.1 tb. If I'm wrong and wasting my time someone please tell me.

Last edited by jthomas : 03-02-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #2474
jmbach

After the image is restored to the drive. Run it in the TiVo to make sure it works and has the latest OS. Then take it out and make a backup of that image.
If you are using a virtual machine to run JMFS, then make sure the VHD you are expanding on has the correct number of sectors.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #2475
jmbach

Again, if the image you are working with does not have the latest OS on it, if you place it on a 3TB (even if the image is not expanded) you will boot loop.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #2476
jmbach

I would recommend placing the image on a 1TB drive first. Run it in the TiVo, make sure it has the latest OS, then use JMFS to expand that image to 1TB. Put it back in the TiVo to make sure it works. Transfer that image to the 3TB drive. Swap the area on the drive where partition 10 and 12 lie and put it back in the TiVo to make sure it works and is operational. Then we can work in expanding it to 3TB.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #2477
jthomas

Quote:
I would recommend placing the image on a 1TB drive first. Run it in the TiVo, make sure it has the latest OS, then use JMFS to expand that image to 1TB. Put it back in the TiVo to make sure it works. Transfer that image to the 3TB drive. Swap the area on the drive where partition 10 and 12 lie and put it back in the TiVo to make sure it works and is operational. Then we can work in expanding it to 3TB.
The image I'm using does have the latest OS, it is 20.3.8, I made sure my TiVo was updated before I took the image with DVRBars. Unfortunately, the only other drives I have around the house that size are my drives in my NAS. To work with I have a 320 from a 746320 TiVo drive (Doesn't work in the TiVo, I accidentally mounted it in disk manager), a 500 from a 746500 TiVo drive from my other premiere and a 500 from my 750500 that is untouched. I'm "practicing" on my 320 gb drive since before I mess with my new 750500. The 3tb with the image from the 500 gb drive does work in the TiVo, it is just only using 500 gb of the drive.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #2478
Bierce

Hi all -
I'm having a heck of a time getting JMFS to just run. On two different systems/motherboards, using either a CD burned from the .iso and/or a USB stick made with Universal USB Installer (1.9.5.2), I boot up, but right after seeing either two or four penguins, and the "Running Linux Live scripts.." loads (all 10 stars), the cursor does a carriage return then stops flashing and everything's frozen.
Really odd that this happens on two different systems.
Any ideas?

System 1 - both CD and USB boot - is:
Asus P5Q Pro Mobo
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 CPU

System 2 - USB boot - is:
IBM Thinkcentre M58p
Intel Core2Duo E8500 CPU

I have a new Premiere 4 with 500Gb (courtesy of TiVo's !@#$ 11.3x firmware upgrade that bricked my 1.5 Tb expanded HD) and just need to expand that puppy.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bierce : 03-14-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: New information
Bierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #2479
jmbach

What other peripherals / ports does the system have. How is the TiVo drive connected to the system. Is it connected while the system is booting.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #2480
Bierce

Quote:
What other peripherals / ports does the system have. How is the TiVo drive connected to the system. Is it connected while the system is booting.
Other than the monitor, keyboard, mouse, no peripherals connected. Both systems have serial ports that I turned off in BIOS.

The Asus system had the original TiVo drive as well as the new WD20EURS attached to SATA ports on the motherboard, while the IBM had original Tivo HD in an eSATA dock attached to eSATA port, and the new disk connected to the SATA port on MB.
Each computer's original HDDs were disconnected. Only the DVD-ROM (IDE on Asus, SATA on IBM) remained attached on each, and I'm pretty sure at least one of the times with using the USB I disconnected that as well, but I will try that again to make sure.

On the Asus P5Q, BIOS showed the drives connected under SATA info. And for both, the drives were connected during system boot.

I imagine there might be some log file during the boot and Linux Live load, but with the frozen cursor, I can't even get to to a prompt to poke around the RAM disk I think it forms when booting.

Speaking of, the Asus system has 4Gb RAM and the IBM has 2Gb, but I don't think the JMFS needs very much, correct?
Bierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #2481
d_bondi

I have 2 TiVo Premieres and am going to upgrade one of them to 2TB HDD. I have purchased and received a WD20 EURX (from Amazon direct, not a 3rd party vendor), as well as two USB to SATA adapters (no PC with SATA, only an old Dell P4 desktop with IDE only, and two laptops w/o SATA).

My 1st question..... unitron, has noted many times in this forum that any new HDD should be scanned/checked issues before it is used. I kind of assume that the utility I need to do this is on the Ultimate Boot CD, but am not sure which utility it is, or how to go about it. I think I have read in this forum that connecting the new EURX via the USB/SATA adaptor to Win7 is a BAD thing, so I want to make sure I don't mess it up before I even get started.

Any detailed (step by step) guidance you can provide will be appreciated.

Follow up question..... should I use the old Dell desktop with its USB 2.0 ports or one of the two laptops that only have USB 3.0 ports to do this?

I'm sure there will be more questions once I get to the actual jfms part, but this will get me going for now.

Thanks in advance !!!
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #2482
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bondi View Post
I have 2 TiVo Premieres and am going to upgrade one of them to 2TB HDD. I have purchased and received a WD20 EURX (from Amazon direct, not a 3rd party vendor), as well as two USB to SATA adapters (no PC with SATA, only an old Dell P4 desktop with IDE only, and two laptops w/o SATA).

My 1st question..... unitron, has noted many times in this forum that any new HDD should be scanned/checked issues before it is used. I kind of assume that the utility I need to do this is on the Ultimate Boot CD, but am not sure which utility it is, or how to go about it. I think I have read in this forum that connecting the new EURX via the USB/SATA adaptor to Win7 is a BAD thing, so I want to make sure I don't mess it up before I even get started.

Any detailed (step by step) guidance you can provide will be appreciated.

Follow up question..... should I use the old Dell desktop with its USB 2.0 ports or one of the two laptops that only have USB 3.0 ports to do this?

I'm sure there will be more questions once I get to the actual jfms part, but this will get me going for now.

Thanks in advance !!!

See where it says HDD?

Use the down arrow key to get to that and hit Enter.

Then arrow down to Diagnosis and hit Enter

Then arrow down to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS v5.20 (Western Digital) and hit Enter.

After you've verified that it can find the drive you want to test, select it and run the short test and then the long test if it passes the short test.

You can run that with the drive hooked up via USB.

It's only disabling Intellipower with

wdidle3.exe

(to get to it go to Device Info and Management instead of Diagnosis)

where you have to be connected directly to a SATA or IDE port on the motherboard (you can use a SATA/IDE adapter and connect a SATA drive directly to an IDE header if necessary, provided that that motherboard that's too old to have SATA is still new enough to be able to handle a drive as big as 2TB)

The EURX probably comes from the factory with Intellipark disabled, so you probably shouldn't need to worry about that.

Use the USB2 ports on the Dell.

Chances are the SATA/USB adapters you got aren't USB3 anyway, and you may or may not have BIOS support for the USB3 ports--they may require loading a driver in Windows before they'll work, and if you boot from the UBCD that's not going to happen since you won't be in Windows.

Windows XP SP3 or newer (Vista, 7) shouldn't automatically do anything to a new, blank drive it happens to notice is hooked up (although any TiVo drive with its Apple Partition Map would be interpreted as blank as well because Windows doesn't recognize the patterns of those as patterns).

However, there's nothing I can think of that Windows can do for a TiVo drive or a drive that's going to be used in a TiVo that needs doing.

While the long test is running, you can read the jmfs and DvrBARS threads so you know what you need to do to turn it into a Premiere drive once it passes the test.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #2483
d_bondi

Thanks unitron!

The old Dell (P4, 512MB RAM) is a real pig running XP SP3, but as you noted, it won't be running windows, so likely not an issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #2484
d_bondi

I have run into a bump in the road.....

I connected the WD20EURX to my USB/SATA adapter (Sabrent from Amazon) and the USB/SATA adapter to a USB2.0 port on the rear of my old Dell Dimension 3000 (assume that the rear ports are motherboard direct). Then I booted with the UBCD, and navigated to the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS v5.21 (Western Digital) and received the following:

NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND...

DLGDIAG 5.21 - Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
NON-WD DRIVE

ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0201
(C) Copyright 1996-2013 Western Digital Corportation

Hit ANY KEY to continue...

so, then I figured, maybe I better disconnect the Dell's HDD. I did that and repeated the procedure. This time I received the following message:
NO WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES FOUND...

DLGDIAG 5.21 - Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
NO DRIVE FOUND

ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0120
(C) Copyright 1996-2013 Western Digital Corportation

Hit ANY KEY to continue...

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #2485
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I have run into a bump in the road.....

Why don't you try running the diagnostics in Windows? The Windows diagnostics (as well as the DOS version) is available here -> http://support.wd.com/product/downlo...&sid=3&lang=en. Not sure if the drive will be visible when in Windows, but it'll be easier to do all this in Windows I'd think.

Also, I noticed that you are under the impression that connecting the disk in Win 7 is bad. Well, that would be true if this was a drive with Tivo software already on it. But in this case you are simply running diagnostics on a brand new drive. There is no possibility of harming a brand new drive as long as it's not your existing tivo drive. You can even connect an existing tivo drive under Win 7...just don't open Disk Management under Device Manager....that's only when it's bad. I connect my stock tivo drive in Windows 7 during upgrades all the time - doesn't damage anything just by connecting the drive.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #2486
d_bondi

Thanks for the quick response Cybernut.

The old boat anchor Dell Dimension 3000 is Windows XP/SP3, I'm assuming that makes no difference, but it is soooo slow.

Since you are suggesting running the diagnostics in windows, and I won't need to use the UBCD (laptop has no optical drive), I'll give the USB/SATA Adapter to the WD20EURX a whirl with the Win7/64 laptop.

Do you think that the fact that the Dell, booted with UBCD couldn't see the WD20EURX with USB/SATA Adapter means that the jfms boot disk won't be able to see it either?

Thanks!

Last edited by d_bondi : 03-25-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #2487
jmbach

Probably not. The JMFS iso has many drivers for different USB chipsets already. The UBCD works better when drives are connected via IDE or SATA.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #2488
d_bondi

Good to know, thanks!

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #2489
d_bondi

OK, got the WD20EURX connected (via USB/SATA Adapter, I am using a USB 3.0 port, because that is all my laptop has and the device (USB/SATA Adapter) was recognized right away) to my Win7/64 laptop, and ran the WD Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows (v1_25).

It passed the Quick Test.

52 Minutes (about 6%) into the Extended Test, it failed and said "Too many bad sectors detected". Before the fail, it seemed to stall out once (Current Sector counter stopped) started back up, and then stopped completely and displayed the error message.

I powered down and have re-run the Quick Test, passed again.

I am currently re-running the Extended Test. As with the first run, it is saying it will take just under 14 hours.

Is there possibly something I'm doing wrong?

My purchase was direct from Amazon (not a 3rd party vendor on Amazon) and appeared to be new in WD packaging. Build date is 23 Dec 2013.

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #2490
unitron

Quote:
OK, got the WD20EURX connected (via USB/SATA Adapter, I am using a USB 3.0 port, because that is all my laptop has and the device (USB/SATA Adapter) was recognized right away) to my Win7/64 laptop, and ran the WD Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows (v1_25).

It passed the Quick Test.

52 Minutes (about 6%) into the Extended Test, it failed and said "Too many bad sectors detected". Before the fail, it seemed to stall out once (Current Sector counter stopped) started back up, and then stopped completely and displayed the error message.

I powered down and have re-run the Quick Test, passed again.

I am currently re-running the Extended Test. As with the first run, it is saying it will take just under 14 hours.

Is there possibly something I'm doing wrong?

My purchase was direct from Amazon (not a 3rd party vendor on Amazon) and appeared to be new in WD packaging. Build date is 23 Dec 2013.
I wouldn't put the drive in the trash until I'd tested it on another computer or three, but your results so far are not encouraging and illustrate why I say always run the manufacturer's long test on any new (or new to you) drive before putting it into service.

You may have done everything right and just wound up with a bad one. It doesn't happen really often, but it does happen.