TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
rcanoza

dual-tuner Premiere + PC tuner(s): brokering scheduled recordings?

I have a Windows Media Center PC with its own tuner I'd like to use in tandem w/ a Premiere XL, i.e. putting the former in a "backend" role and the latter in a hybrid setup. No reason to stick with WMC for that -- if Tvheadend or VDR or perhaps Myth would be simpler I'll host that on the PC. However for now I'd like to retain the Premiere as frontend for playback, program guide, Season Pass/wishlist input and the rest. There's just the additional moving part, so to speak, of the PC periodically pulling the Tivo To Do List, extracting however many items won't conflict onto the PC's plate, and then deleting the duped items from To Do List. Finally, pyTivo or Streambaby to watch the MPEG2 streams gathered over on the PC.

If I had 2 Tivo boxes, I could see it working via kmttg scripting; I think a similar kmttg-based approach might even work for the reverse solution (Tivo as the backend to WMC, XMBC, MediaPortal etc). Could anyone suggest an optimal software package for automating the "offload" tuner? I only want to transfer scheduled items one way, toward the PC. My current strategy was just manually dedicating it to the busiest single station, plus other recurring shows in the gaps, at the cost of dynamic scheduling (for instance, the Olympics). Freeing up at least 1 tuner for channel surfing on the Tivo rather than the HTPC is my basic goal here. Thanks in advance for any tips.
rcanoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
rcanoza

I thought this might be relatively simple with NextPVR on the computer, triggered either by scheduled event or one of the recording software's post-processing batch file:
* export ToDo to a .CSV using kmttg
-> run a batch or script to rewrite it in XML like NextPVR's recording-backup.xml
-> use command-line options (NextPVR.exe -import [MyTivosName]_todo_[date].xml) to absorb these into the PC queue
-> rewrite the resulting XML in the data directory for a cancellation list that kmttg can process & run that
-> move any finished .ts files from "Manual Recordings" into a pyTivo-defined container folder for pull/push later on (w/ remuxing, since ts=on yields unplayable Tivo items from the transport stream source files)
-> generate generic metadata .txt files in same for pyTivo's benefit using that cancellation list

But the kmttg .CSV needs massaging for being a bit too reader-friendly, with start times, duration, and channel numbers that need to be converted to UTC, end times, and NextPVR channel IDs respectively. I'd rather not give up on NextPVR and lose its house-keeping functionality (also a decent web UI) but if it's less work to schedule VLC streaming events using the template from the kmttg .CSV I'll settle for that.

Last edited by rcanoza : 02-06-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: steps out-of-order
Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
senaji212

Maybe, another friend who can give you tips about your problem
senaji212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
rcanoza

The only (simple) way of doing it is
* schedule nothing on the PC
* pull To Do List .csv & sort ascending by start-time, discarding any lines w/ start-time < end-time from previous
* batch schedule on the PC / cancel on the To Do List

And, of course, remember to clear off the PC every time you change Season Pass settings