TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

can you adjust OTA recording quality on a Roamio?

Can the recording quality be adjusted on a basic Roamio for OTA like you could on the old Series 2 Tivos? It would have to be connected to a SD TV with a adapted from what I what I understand from the website.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, records as is. You would need to set the output to 480i for the SD TV, and use composite (yellow/white/red).

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

to add to the "why" of why you can't adjust it.
In the S2 days the Tivo was encoding the video from analog to digital, and you could chose the quality of the encode, thus the quality settings.
As of the digital era, even in SD, you're just recording the digital stream from the cableco or OTA, there's no encoding happening anymore.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
to add to the "why" of why you can't adjust it.
In the S2 days the Tivo was encoding the video from analog to digital, and you could chose the quality of the encode, thus the quality settings.
As of the digital era, even in SD, you're just recording the digital stream from the cableco or OTA, there's no encoding happening anymore.
Sorry, I think you or someone told me that before, but I didn't quite understand, but I do now.

The reason I was asking is a x girl friend of mine has a lifetime Series 3 with a huge hard drive, but she might qualify for the free Premiere or $200 Roamio. But if she did that, then she wouldn't be able to record as much TV without upgrading the hard drive. It would be nice to have 4 tuners though. She kinda quit corresponding, so I am not too hot on finding out if hers' was updated from 11.0 .
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote