Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #511
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1983 View Post
Does anyone know how to clear any HPA restrictions on a drive from windows or maybe DOS prompt? Or at least check to see if it's been enabled and has made the visible drive smaller? I tried jmfs and it threw a kernel error using the hdparm -N method. My drive is 2TB and jmbach has sent me an image of a 2TB drive and DvrBARS says my 2TB drive is too small for the restore. jmbach seems to think that my BIOS have enabled an HPA change on the drive and made it appear smaller. However, my BIOS has no HPA tools or setting at all. In DvrBARS the drive shows up as 1.82TB (I know Windows counts using their stupid 1024 bytes = 1kB or 1 kiB and 1024 kiB = 1MiB method so I know why it isn't a full 2TB), however in jmfs it is listed as 2000.3 GB.

Any ideas? This has me going crazy. I've been trying to repair this TiVo for nearly 2 weeks now (my wife and I are both going nuts with only Netflix and DVDs to watch and we can't afford to even just get a Comcast DVR to hold us over) and I know you guys on this forum have way more knowledge about TiVos than I do. I feel if I could just get a proper image to load on my drive the TiVo would function again (since all of it's troubles were very obviously HD related i.e. freezing in the middle of shows, constant reboots, and slow responses) but it's driving me crazy trying to get that to happen. I'm sure most of you know the feeling. Thank you all again for your help.
I suspected from the get-go that your target drive for imaging had a HPA area set. Please read the post I already made here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...6#post10018396

Then, if you still need help, please do a little Googling on HPAs, BIOS settings that may enable them (without actually mentioning HPA in the setting name), and most of all: Make sure your PC motherboard has the most current BIOS available (older BIOS revisions for many boards did not display a setting to turn off an automatically made HPA). Also, check for any Acronis, Paragon, or other backup software that may be installed on your computer, which may also set a HPA area. Many are capable of doing so. Names for it include something like "time capsule" or "protected backup partition".

For example: My Gigabyte board would set a HPA, and even if I got software to remove it, the board would automatically re-create it again, until I got the newest BIOS, which gave me access to change the setting called something like "Save a backup copy of BIOS to HDD". There are workarounds if a newer BIOS still doesn't give you the option to toggle.

For a forum expert on this matter, PM unitron, link to his user-page here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=141805

He probably has answered your questions, and/or addressed all your potential issues already, just not in this thread.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #512
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try this:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/1710

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #513
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Which references using using HFT (Hitachi Feature Tool), like I've brought up three times now (this is the third time).

However, it does bring up something I had forgotten about: Cloning a drive with a HPA area set can carry over issues to the target drive.

I don't think that applies in this case, but it's a good link, and helped remind me to watch out for HPAs on sources (not just targets), when I'm cloning drives.

I'm about to do a bunch of cloning, so that link potentially helped me avoid some headaches and/or hair-pulling-out.

As for the poster whom that link was intended for, I think that's a good start, due to it having specific instructions to actually use the HFT utility.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #514
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Unfortunately, upon trying to review the instructions link given at this link, I get this error:

"http://www.acronis.com/r/support/en/kb/907/Removing_HPA.txt from referred page https://kb.acronis.com/content/1710 not found"

So, I doubt it will be of much help to anybody without the instructions...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #515
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Unfortunately, upon trying to review the instructions link given at this link, I get this error:

"http://www.acronis.com/r/support/en/kb/907/Removing_HPA.txt from referred page https://kb.acronis.com/content/1710 not found"

So, I doubt it will be of much help to anybody without the instructions...
I just relooked at that page, seems to be out of date.

"Created - December 4, 2007; Updated - March 26, 2009; "

I found another page which uses hdparm:

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/DCO_and_HPA

It will show whether HPA is enabled or disabled.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 02-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #516
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Wdidle3.exe only fixes a soft boot hang in some TiVo models, a hard boot works all the time without setting Wdidle3.exe.
Right here on this very website at least one person has reported that disabling Intellipark fixed their cold boot problem encountered when upgrading to a larger drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #517
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1983 View Post
Does anyone know how to clear any HPA restrictions on a drive from windows or maybe DOS prompt? Or at least check to see if it's been enabled and has made the visible drive smaller? I tried jmfs and it threw a kernel error using the hdparm -N method. My drive is 2TB and jmbach has sent me an image of a 2TB drive and DvrBARS says my 2TB drive is too small for the restore. jmbach seems to think that my BIOS have enabled an HPA change on the drive and made it appear smaller. However, my BIOS has no HPA tools or setting at all. In DvrBARS the drive shows up as 1.82TB (I know Windows counts using their stupid 1024 bytes = 1kB or 1 kiB and 1024 kiB = 1MiB method so I know why it isn't a full 2TB), however in jmfs it is listed as 2000.3 GB.

Any ideas? This has me going crazy. I've been trying to repair this TiVo for nearly 2 weeks now (my wife and I are both going nuts with only Netflix and DVDs to watch and we can't afford to even just get a Comcast DVR to hold us over) and I know you guys on this forum have way more knowledge about TiVos than I do. I feel if I could just get a proper image to load on my drive the TiVo would function again (since all of it's troubles were very obviously HD related i.e. freezing in the middle of shows, constant reboots, and slow responses) but it's driving me crazy trying to get that to happen. I'm sure most of you know the feeling. Thank you all again for your help.
The first rule of HPA undoing is to make sure that you aren't using a motherboard that that slaps one on there automatically. (I'm looking at you, GigaByte!)

What's the brand and exact model number of your motherboard?

Does it do both IDE/PATA and SATA, or just SATA?

Without any extra drives, like TiVo drives or drives intended to be TiVo drives, connected, what do you have connected?

I assume a drive running some version of Windows and a cd or dvd.

What's hooked up to which controller/port?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #518
ggieseke

Try using DvrBARS to do a Full backup of the WD20EZRX. When you get to the Confirm Source Drive screen, look at the number of sectors that it reports. It should be 3,907,029,168.

P.S. You don't have to actually do the backup, just write down the number and quit there.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #519
unitron

I'm pretty sure that

hdparm

is on the Ultimate Boot CD

which I tell how to download in this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10021131

and a copy of which everyone should have anyway because of all the other stuff on it.

Also, I know that

hdparm

is on the MFS Live cd v1.4, and is one of the things, along with

dd

and

dd_rescue

which make it handy to have as well, even if you don't own a TiVo.

And if, for example, the drive you want to check out is on the third SATA controller, with the first two used up by the regular hard drive and the cd or dvd deck, then

hdparm -N /dev/sdc

will tell you if the available LBA number matches the total LBA number, which lets you know if there's an HPA on there or not.

When dealing with drives which were in Series 1 TiVos, and possibly in other stuff, you may need to "unlock" the drives before trying to actually remove the HPA, and what program you use to do the unlocking may depend on the brand of the drive and/or what it was that locked it in the first place.

Apparently Wikipedia now has more info on HPAs than when I first got bitten by it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #520
jmbach

Got an email from ozzy1983. He hooked the drive up with and external power supply and a good SATA cable and the TiVo continued to reboot. Then he got a dock and used his laptop to restore the virgin image to the drive. It started through guided setup and upon reboot, the same thing happened. So he feels like there is something more than the hard drive that is causing his issues and decided to shelve the project as he has spent too much time on it already. He sends his thanks to everyone here for their help.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #521
jthomas

I am stuck trying to upgrade, hope the TiVo experts here can help. I got a WD30EURX and am trying to put it in a 750500. I have been able to transfer the image off using DVRBars (Thank you ggieseke) and put it on the WD30EURX. I can put it in the TiVo and it works. My problem comes when trying to expand and supersize it. JMFS won't recognize the drive when I boot it. It will recognize all the other drives I connect. I don't have a desktop so I'm using a SATA to USB adapter. Also, I have a clean image of the 750500 that has never been plugged in. If it is needed I just need to know where to send it. I would appreciate it if someone could share an image of a 74632. I hosed it up and had the wrong hard drive connected and mounted it in disk manager. I have no need to try and save the recordings at all. Any help from the TiVo gurus out there would be appreciated.
jthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #522
jmbach

Well if you are wanting to use the whole 3TB drive you well have to do more than just use JMFS. The best you can do is about 2.1TB over your base image size. If you want to be able to use the whole 3TB, we can guide you through it. Read the 4TB DIY thread for background.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #523
jthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Well if you are wanting to use the whole 3TB drive you well have to do more than just use JMFS. The best you can do is about 2.1TB over your base image size. If you want to be able to use the whole 3TB, we can guide you through it. Read the 4TB DIY thread for background.

I did read that thread, my understanding is that before I could even start that process I had to get it expanded to the 2TB. I can't get that far, the JMFS won't recognize my hard drive. Is there any way to expand the drive without JMFS?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #524
jmbach

What system are you running JMFS

Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #525
jthomas

I'm running an HP Elitebook 8460p, it has a Intel Core i5 vPro, with a Mobile Intel QM67 Express Chipset. I'm using the JMFS Live v 1.04. It just won't recognize drive. I can get it to recognize any other drive I put in. It works fine in the TiVo, it just sees it as a 500 gb drive. I'm trying to find a desktop so I can try it with it plugged in directly to a SATA port on the mb but haven't had any luck so far. I couldn't PM you back since I don't have enough posts but I have a 750500 vhd from an out of the box system that's never been plugged in. I'm downloading the vhd, is that an already expanded image or just stock? Do you have a vhd for a 746320? I have another TiVo drive that I toasted when I accidentally mounted it in disk manager and I wanted to have it around for a just in case backup. (I thought I had my 3 tb drive connected) Thank you for your help.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #526
jmbach

You are using an external dock to connect it to the HP. Is it connected via a USB2 or USB3. I have problems using USB3 with JMFS with my systems so I only use it with USB2. Are you booting the CD or are you running the CD in a virtual PC inside windows.

We probably need to carry this conversation over to the JMFS thread as we are getting off topic here and this is something that will take a little time to sort out. So post your reply to the JMFS thread and we will go from there.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #527
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
You are using an external dock to connect it to the HP. Is it connected via a USB2 or USB3. I have problems using USB3 with JMFS with my systems so I only use it with USB2. Are you booting the CD or are you running the CD in a virtual PC inside windows.
In general, people should be aware that the current crop of USB 3 controllers are mostly NOT supported by the machine's BIOS the way USB 2 controllers are, whether desktop or laptop.

What this means is that drivers need to be loaded to see the USB 3 ports, whether in Windows, or a compiled Unix bootable distro. Without a loaded driver, most USB 3 ports are not there.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #528
jcd4878

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I have a perfect image of a TCD748000 Premiere XL straight from the factory. I also have a nearly pristine TCD746320 Premiere image, but it's larger because it came from a drive that had already been through one upgrade. If you have a "virgin" drive laying around somewhere, run a full backup and send me a PM. Someday I hope to have clean images of every recent model available to the community.
Greg (ggieseke),
I recently had a TCD748000 die and I don't have a backup image.
Can you send me the link by PM to download your virgin backup?
I'd send you a PM but the forum won't let me because my account is too new.

Thanks!
-Jerry
jcd4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #529
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd4878 View Post
Greg (ggieseke),
I recently had a TCD748000 die and I don't have a backup image.
Can you send me the link by PM to download your virgin backup?
I'd send you a PM but the forum won't let me because my account is too new.

Thanks!
-Jerry
PM sent.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #530
jcd4878

Thanks soooooooooooooooo much Greg!

-Jerry
jcd4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #531
back2future

Drive trashed by TiVo OS?

I hope someone can shed some light on my observations.

1. 3.5 year old TiVo encounters GSOD. Initial indications are disk problems. Tired to run Kickstart codes to fix it. But nothing worked. Initially I could launch KS 54 to test the disk (which found no errors). But after running KS 57, I could no longer launch KS54. System went into reboot cycle: Welcome, Almost There..., GSOD.

2. I got this error message when I try to do a backup using DvrBARS:

MFS volume header not found
(should have run JMFS Live advanced options, but didn't learn about it until I'd wiped the disk with a restore)

3. Ran extensive diagnostics on disk with HD Tune Pro and ran read, write, seek and performance tests. None, zero, nada, errors are found with any test. No test result was out of spec. S.M.A.R.T. shows no reallocated sectors. No other errors found of any kind.

3. Got a new disk from WK (could have come here first to get image, maybe). Backed up image from WK disk with DvrBars and restored it to the original drive.

4. Drive seems fully functional now.

Questions:
1. What could have happened to the disk to cause this?
2. Is it known, or possible that TiVo's OS has serious problems where it can trash the structure of the disk?
3. Are there ways, restart, clean or other operations that can be used to avoid this?
4. Has anyone else encountered this or thinks they have?

Thanks,
John
back2future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #532
ggieseke

Hey John,

I replied in your other thread, but I'll try to combine the two here. You're not the first person to have KS57 take a marginal drive to unusable. Without the source code we'll never know for sure what the Kickstart codes do, and TiVo isn't likely to give us that info.

My last attempt to repair a drive that didn't have a recognizable MFS volume header went south when the original poster gave up (or just quit responding).

1. Good question.
2. Another good question.
3. Not that I know of.
4. Probably several people.

I think it's fairly clear that you had an OS or filesystem meltdown that wasn't caused by a hard disk failure, but sometimes bad sh*t happens to good people.

If you want to attempt a recovery I'm there for you. That would probably mean shipping the drive to Houston, but at least we both have the same hardware (Premiere XL). If it's salvagaeble I'll do my best.

Greg
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #533
jmbach

My guess when things like this happens, that there might be a power glitch during a disk write or possibly a buffer overflow problem. No one really knows for sure. Like Greg said bad things happen.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #534
back2future

Well, this feels like a serious OS problem. I wonder how many non-technical people had failures like this that really weren't a hardware failure. I did finally encounter a logged error of one bad sector on a write then read of all zeros across the whole drive.

I wonder if TiVo knows or cares that there appears to be this serious problem.

As I posted, I decided to bite the bullet and not attempt a recovery, this time. I just wanted to get the thing up and running. I restored the WK image to the original disk and we'll see how long it runs. Next time I'll take a closer look at it.

Thanks for the info. You guys have done some amazing work with little, if any, internal info to go by. If it wasn't for all your collective work, and Weaknees, I would not have been able to fix this.

John
back2future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #535
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I'm trying Dvrbars for the first time in attempting to backup a 320gb drive out of Preimere.

I'm receiving "ReadFile" errors about every 40-60 seconds and the after 30 minutes, the progress bar hasn't moved.

What does this imply?

The drive it's self appears good, Smart disk diagnostics and WD short test passed with no issue. Also, does it matter if ACHI mode is enabled or should I use standard IDE mode for the PC controller?

<<Edit>>

Stopped the full backup since it didn't appear to be going any were and started a modified however it ended after I clicked OK....

Any suggestions?
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 03-13-2014 at 03:12 PM.
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #536
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I'm trying Dvrbars for the first time in attempting to backup a 320gb drive out of Preimere.

I'm receiving "ReadFile" errors about every 40-60 seconds and the after 30 minutes, the progress bar hasn't moved.

What does this imply?

The drive it's self appears good, Smart disk diagnostics and WD short test passed with no issue. Also, does it matter if ACHI mode is enabled or should I use standard IDE mode for the PC controller?
AHCI mode is usually faster than standard IDE. Other than that it's a wash.

If you click OK through enough of those errors you may still get a functional backup, but if it goes much beyond 10 or 20 clicks I'd probably give up and throw the drive in the trash.

DvrBARS reads 2MB chunks at a time and wasn't designed to be a drive recovery tool, just a backup & restore utility for healthy drives. It doesn't even break drives down into 512 byte sectors like ddrescue, much less have any repair abilities like SpinRite.

If you can get through the backup and restore it to a new drive it may work despite the bad sectors. If not, I can send you a link to a 746320 image and you can start over from scratch.

IMO it sounds like your 320 is dead.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #537
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
AHCI mode is usually faster than standard IDE. Other than that it's a wash.

If you click OK through enough of those errors you may still get a functional backup, but if it goes much beyond 10 or 20 clicks I'd probably give up and throw the drive in the trash.

DvrBARS reads 2MB chunks at a time and wasn't designed to be a drive recovery tool, just a backup & restore utility for healthy drives. It doesn't even break drives down into 512 byte sectors like ddrescue, much less have any repair abilities like SpinRite.

If you can get through the backup and restore it to a new drive it may work despite the bad sectors. If not, I can send you a link to a 746320 image and you can start over from scratch.

IMO it sounds like your 320 is dead.
I have another Premiere with 320Gb drive that is good, if I need the image I will let you know but otherwise I will see if I can make my own off what I have.

I ran the extended WD tests on the drive and it failed with too many bad sectors so I gave up and I'm doing a full write of zeros across it to see if it as drive it's recoverable.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #538
jmbach

You may be able to recover the drive but if sectors are already failing it is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #539
ggieseke

Quote:
You may be able to recover the drive but if sectors are already failing it is an accident waiting to happen.
Amen!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #540
jsaul5364

Could someone send me a link to the image for a 746320? I don't have enough post to PM.
Thank you!
jsaul5364 is offline   Reply With Quote