TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
ainocencio

Max HDMI Cable Length for the mini

I just purchased the Tivo Roamio and the mini. I have everything in a closet av rack downstairs of my home. All my devices are in this rack including these 2 new Tivos. I ran a 100' HDMI cable from my downstairs to my upstairs bedroom and was working perfectly fine with my cable box a couple of days ago. That same cable, I cannot get signal on my Mini. My question is, do I need an HDMI extender/booster to get a signal off the 100' HDMI cable? The Tivo mini works because I tested it with the 6' HDMI cable in came with. Thanks!
ainocencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is no max length specified in the spec, but based on the physics of it a high quality 24AWG cable can only go about 50' before the signal starts to degrade and error correction kicks in. At 100' who knows if error correction will even be enough to overcome the signal loss.

My question is why are you attaching a 100' cable to a Mini in the first place? The whole point of the Mini is to put it in the room where you're watching and use your network to transmit the video.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My question is why are you attaching a 100' cable to a Mini in the first place? The whole point of the Mini is to put it in the room where you're watching and use your network to transmit the video.
I have to concur with this sentiment. It seems hard to imagine a scenario where this would be worth it. Run the necessary coax and/or Ethernet, instead. I'm guessing that you want the whole unit to be hidden. Given the size of the Minis, I am guessing that you could somehow attach it to the back of most TVs. The only issue after that would probably be getting IR signals to the Mini, which is no doubt already an issue that you've considered, given the setup that you are using.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo has a solution for that...

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter-wall

You can mount the Mini on the wall behind the TV, or use some double sided tape or Velcro and stick it right to the back of the TV. If you'd rather not have that IR eye you can buy a Slide Pro and get an RF remote instead. (get the one for the Premiere/Mini with the dongle)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
AdamNJ

What are the stats on the 100 foot cable? gauge...etc

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote