TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
szvers

Roamio remote on a mini?

I switched my roamio remote to the mini and it is sometimes sluggish with its response. I have to repeatedly press buttons before it changes. The mini remote worked perfect, but I prefer the feel of the roamio's.
Are the remotes supposed to be interchangeable?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
szvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Roamio remote uses RF and IR, you may need to switch to IR mode for the mini (Press/Hold Tivo + C), should blink red.

For RF mode, Press/Hold Tivo + D, light blinks yellow.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Are you using an Slide Pro RF receiver?

If not, have you forced the remote into IR mode?
(Tivo+Red C)

See, for more info:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Roamio remote uses RF and IR, you may need to switch to IR mode for the mini (Press/Hold Tivo + C), should blink red.

That did the trick...thanks so much!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Oh, sure.... beats me by 1 minute and gets all the credit!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Oh, sure.... beats me by 1 minute and gets all the credit!

But your post sealed it!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
rjbell4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post

Nice tip. Thanks!
rjbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Headford

With IR Adapter can operate both in FR and IR modes

If you plug the dongle that comes with a Slide Pro Remote into your Mini USB port, the Roamio remote can operate the Mini in both RF and IR modes.

Included for free when ordering a Slide Pro Remote if you designate that you will be using it with a Mini (not included if you specify you are buying the Slide Pro Remote for use with a Roamio).

The IR Adapter that TiVo sells separately for the Mini will probably not work for RF (given its name -- it is in all likelihood just an IR receiver).

Last edited by Headford : 02-28-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Thanks to d_vail -- deleting erroneous info.
Headford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
d_vail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headford View Post
If you plug the dongle IR Adapter into your Mini USB port, the Roamio remote can operate the Mini in both FR and IR modes. https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter $15 if bought on its own. Included for free if when ordering a Slide Pro Remote you designate that you will be using it with a Mini (not included if you specify you are buying the Slide Pro Remote for use with a Roamio).
That's the IR adapter, which is already built into the mini. The adapter your talking about that comes free with the slide pro (if ordered for a mini) is an RF adapter. I think you already know this, but mixed up your wording. Just clarifying for the OP.

Also, I haven't been able to find it for sale separately yet. Maybe calling TiVo would work?
d_vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Headford

Yes, thank you for the correction, I meant RF (not FR).

The Mini only worked in IR mode until I plugged in the dongle that came with Slide Pro.

Upon further reflection, I take the point you made. The IR Adapter I linked above probably won't work for RF purposes (given its name -- it is an "IR" adapter (not RF)).

So, purchasing the adapter I linked to above will only allow you to hide the Mini -- but you will still need to point your remote in the direction of the end of the adapter as it is an IR receiver.

For true RF operation of the Mini, you need the dongle that comes with the Slide Pro Remote (but is only included when you indicate you are purchasing the Slide Pro for a Mini).

Again, I appreciate the clarification -- it lead to this correction.

Last edited by Headford : 02-28-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Headford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headford View Post
Yes, thank you for the correction, I meant RF (not FR).

The Mini only worked in IR mode until I plugged in the dongle that came with Slide Pro.

Upon further reflection, I take the point you made. The IR Adapter I linked above probably won't work for RF purposes (given its name -- it is an "IR" adapter (not RF)).

So, purchasing the adapter I linked to above will only allow you to hide the Mini -- but you will still need to point your remote in the direction of the end of the adapter as it is an IR receiver.

For true RF operation of the Mini, you need the dongle that comes with the Slide Pro Remote (but is only included when you indicate you are purchasing the Slide Pro for a Mini).

Again, I appreciate the clarification -- it lead to this correction.
I have a keyboard that I use on my Roamio, it has a dongle, I wonder if that dongle would work with the RF of a Roamio remote? The keyboard is a Logitech Wii that I paid about $15 for a few years ago, it has worked with my Series 3, TP, and now my Roamio Plus.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
bparker

Will any wireless keyboard work? I have one on an HTPC that's a Logitech wireless that's like a 90% condensed version with a touch pad. Guessing the touchpad would do anything.
bparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
dslunceford

Nice trick. I use my Harmony in the media room where the Roamio is, but the kids are always misplacing the Mini remote in the family room. Switching would allow me to use the find my remote feature for when they do that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
motech

So to clarify - it is indeed possible to use a $30 roamio remote with a tivo mini in RF mode IF you happen to have the RF dongle that ships with the new keyboard remote. They are compatible ?

And if so - how do we get those rf dongles! Will a 3rd party dongle work?
Hmmm. I'm doing a small gym now and I'm thinking of using a tivo roamio and 2 tivo minis but would need an rf solution. I of course can get 3 keyboard remotes but I'm trying to keep the costs down as they are out of budget.

I have leftover roamio remotes from other projects where we don't use remotes at all but instead use control systems. If I can figure out how to connect them to the minis via RF it would be perfect.
motech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by motech View Post
So to clarify - it is indeed possible to use a $30 roamio remote with a tivo mini in RF mode IF you happen to have the RF dongle that ships with the new keyboard remote. They are compatible ?

And if so - how do we get those rf dongles! Will a 3rd party dongle work?
Hmmm. I'm doing a small gym now and I'm thinking of using a tivo roamio and 2 tivo minis but would need an rf solution. I of course can get 3 keyboard remotes but I'm trying to keep the costs down as they are out of budget.

I have leftover roamio remotes from other projects where we don't use remotes at all but instead use control systems. If I can figure out how to connect them to the minis via RF it would be perfect.
Yes. Just ask Tivo for the dongle. They shipped me one free.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
motech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
Yes. Just ask Tivo for the dongle. They shipped me one free.
awesome will do.
hopefully they will send me two of them
motech is offline   Reply With Quote