TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Luckyluc

Tivo Mini AC Adapter

I need to get if possible a longer AC Adapter for my Tivo Mini. The position of my TV is about 15 feet away from an outlet (older home) where the Tivo can be installed.
Anyone know of a place to locate a longer AC Adapter?
Luckyluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyluc View Post
I need to get if possible a longer AC Adapter for my Tivo Mini. The position of my TV is about 15 feet away from an outlet (older home) where the Tivo can be installed.
Anyone know of a place to locate a longer AC Adapter?
Why not just plug it into an extension cord? That's what I did.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Luckyluc

Not an option where things are located. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with this as I cannot be the first.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Not an option where things are located. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with this as I cannot be the first.
Purchase some color coded zip wire, 18 gage is big enough, and splice the cable going to the Mini with this cable, just make sure you keep the polarity correct.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Purchase some color coded zip wire, 18 gage is big enough, and splice the cable going to the Mini with this cable, just make sure you keep the polarity correct.
That sounds like a good way to burn your house down if you don't know what you are doing.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
That sounds like a good way to burn your house down if you don't know what you are doing.
If you don't know what your doing the extension cord is the way to go but the OP said he could not use one. The VA on the low side of the power brick is not enough power to burn your home down unless you spark the wires near gasoline or such.
If you can't change a light switch without calling an electrician then by all means call one for this job.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
sangs

I'm perplexed as to why an extension cord would not work. Either way in this scenario an extension of SOME type of cord is going to come into play. It has to.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
SullyND
L:27-31

Longer HDMI Cable and leave the mini away from the TV?
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Extension cords are always an option, you just haven't figured out how to do it. After all you have to run the Mini cord to an outlet, so not following how extending that makes any difference. There are zillions of different types of extensions, go to a store and find one that works.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Luckyluc

Wow ask a question and definitely get responses. Figured I would ask here as again from a search on older posts its been asked before but wasn't quite expecting some basically telling me what I can and can't do.

Older home with no outlets within 16 feet of the TV location (above a fireplace) that has a wall runner. Coax cable and extension cord combined in wall runner ... the wall runner pops off... the wall runner also doesn't have an out anywhere other than the 2 ends so can't run and just drop it out.

Tried once before for a different project. I am researching getting longer hdmi to attack that way...

Again just thought I would ask. Thanks for the input all!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Wow ask a question and definitely get responses. Figured I would ask here as again from a search on older posts its been asked before but wasn't quite expecting some basically telling me what I can and can't do.

Older home with no outlets within 16 feet of the TV location (above a fireplace) that has a wall runner. Coax cable and extension cord combined in wall runner ... the wall runner pops off... the wall runner also doesn't have an out anywhere other than the 2 ends so can't run and just drop it out.

Tried once before for a different project. I am researching getting longer hdmi to attack that way...

So if the wall runner " pops off" can't you just run like a 20 foot extension cord? Or am I picturing it wrong and is it a solid tube?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
sangs

Quote:

Don't take it the wrong way, it's just that you said an extension cord wasn't an option and left it at that. Had you included this explanation in the first reply, the confusion would have been cleared up then and there. Sorry to have upset you.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Bigg

If you were really so inclined, you could make a DC extension cable out of some barrel jack parts, making sure to get the polarity right (easy to test), but that's probably overkill.

Or you could get a thinner AC extension cord. HDMI cable is probably the best option though.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
poppagene
User

If the op was serious , they would use an extension cord -- not really looking for an answer
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Exactly, he just doesn't want to go to a store and find the right cord.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote