hefe
Rebus Philbin

Best phirst philimination ever.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #32
Jayjoans

+1 x infinity. Our family's favorite AR episode of all time.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #33
bryhamm
randomize

Had to come in here to see who was eliminated. I forgot to pad the SP when I set it and missed the last 15 minutes. Glad the twinnies are gone. There are a handful of teams I will be glad when they are gone (brendan/rachel, aphgans, luke/margie)

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #34
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Too bad about Mark not being able to race. That would really suck to find that out the night before the race starts.
I like the Twinnies.. It seems to me they spent WAY too much time on the Mark not being able to participate part..

Also, I was surprised how quickly many of the teams figured out it was an even/odd numbered car thing. (If it's on rails, can you really call it a ferris wheel? They did, but SHOULD you?)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Had to come in here to see who was eliminated. I forgot to pad the SP when I set it and missed the last 15 minutes. Glad the twinnies are gone. There are a handful of teams I will be glad when they are gone (brendan/rachel, aphgans, luke/margie)
Not sure where your recording cut off. The Twinnies got to the bubbles thing and there were other teams still there. They got in one and it had a "Try Again" sign. Instead of watching which bubbles other teams got out of and leaving, vs. which bubbles teams got out of and then had to go again, they just sat there and bickered. So when it was time for them to get off and get back on, they bickered and argued about which one to get back on. Another team was still going around, and the Twinnies were arguing about whether they should get in one of the empty bubbles and risk it being the wrong one, or if they should wait for the other team to go all the way around and then get in their bubble to ensure that they were getting in one that had a clue.

Ultimately, they decided to get in a bubble and picked correctly, but not before the other team had gone almost all the way around, so the Twinnies lost any chance they had of catching up by standing there arguing. The producers didn't even try to fake us out at the mat.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
That's how I felt too.

Afghanimals next would be good.
Brendan and Rachel after that.
Yep, that's my order too. Was it the twinnies who said something like, "They are worse than us?" That cracked me up!!

There are about 4 or 5 teams that need to go. I'll add in the mom and her deaf son, IRC he whined the whole first time around, and then the You Tube couple, although they didn't seem as annoying this time around. I said when they announced the teams that I might watch at the beginning and if the teams I hate stay on and are really obnoxious, I'm gone for the first time ever. Good start getting rid of one of the most annoying. And they played REALLY bad too.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
+1

...and let's avoid calling them 'Branchel' just because they're trying to create their own nickname - and everyone knows you don't get to choose that, it has to be given to you!
I vote for Red Whiner and dumb dumb
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
CBS isn't running All-Stars versions of their shows to try and get you to like teams that you didn't like the first time around. They're running them because viewers like to see things they're familiar with. As already proven just by the few people in this thread, every team has its fans, and every team has those who dislike it. CBS doesn't want to fill the whole season with former fan favorites. That's not how reality show casting works. Viewers like to have someone to root against just as much as they like someone to root for.

Having said that, if they wanted to bring a team back from last season for viewers to root against, I would have much preferred Tim and Marie over the Afghanimals. I don't mind Leo and Jamal, it's just that I really loved watching Marie and her antics.
I know you keep up on these things. Are the ratings better for All Star versions of these shows than for all new casts? If so, I can understand why they bring back these people. But if not, I don't get it. I think the majority of folks on TCF would probably vote all new casts over All Star seasons, or at least bring only a few back with a new cast.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtoine View Post
This is going to be the season where I'll be cheering each week because I'm thrilled with who gets eliminated.

There's not a single team that I'm rooting for. I don't mind the country singers, but I'm so sick of everyone else that the eliminations will be satisfying. A part of me just wants to FF through the episodes so I can see where they go and then get to the end to watch who gets Philiminated.

I'm really tired of the shows I usually enjoy so much bringing back people who've been on before.

deb
This one show, for me, has always been about the locations and the tasks and less about the teams. I've come to root against teams because I don't like them, but I still watch because I enjoy the travel aspect. For instance, I've never heard of the city they went to this week, so it's nice to learn something about it. As long as the tasks remain in sync with the culture of the places they go, I'll enjoy this show. Survivor has gone completely away from that, and I don't think it's a better show because they have.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
I like the Trotters too and I may be the only that actually sort of likes Brandon and Rachel maybe because I watched them BB. David and Connor seem ok and I think them and the cowboys are the teams to beat.
That's exactly why I DON'T like them I really didn't think they were all that bad on their first season of TAR. Not even close on the obnoxious scale as Rachel was on BB. Still even if they were the sweetest couple on the show, there's no way I could ever root for her.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #41
nmiller855

As I've said before, thank goodness for TiVo so I can fast forward through the Brenchel parts. I would be happy to see them go next.
nmiller855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #42
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Not sure where your recording cut off. The Twinnies got to the bubbles thing and there were other teams still there. They got in one and it had a "Try Again" sign. Instead of watching which bubbles other teams got out of and leaving, vs. which bubbles teams got out of and then had to go again, they just sat there and bickered. So when it was time for them to get off and get back on, they bickered and argued about which one to get back on. Another team was still going around, and the Twinnies were arguing about whether they should get in one of the empty bubbles and risk it being the wrong one, or if they should wait for the other team to go all the way around and then get in their bubble to ensure that they were getting in one that had a clue.

Ultimately, they decided to get in a bubble and picked correctly, but not before the other team had gone almost all the way around, so the Twinnies lost any chance they had of catching up by standing there arguing. The producers didn't even try to fake us out at the mat.
Thanks for this. It cut off when they were in the wrong pod and were bickering about it at that point. Glad I missed more bickering by them.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #43
Azlen

Quote:
CBS isn't running All-Stars versions of their shows to try and get you to like teams that you didn't like the first time around. They're running them because viewers like to see things they're familiar with. As already proven just by the few people in this thread, every team has its fans, and every team has those who dislike it. CBS doesn't want to fill the whole season with former fan favorites. That's not how reality show casting works. Viewers like to have someone to root against just as much as they like someone to root for.
Another thing that I've heard why they do returning player seasons is it because it saves money/time in the casting process. It's easier and cheaper when you are dealing with known entities rather than unknowns who you have to vet and determine how they'll be on camera. While it's probably not a huge savings, it is something and when you're a CBS bean counter, every penny counts.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #44
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
As I've said before, thank goodness for TiVo so I can fast forward through the Brenchel parts. I would be happy to see them go next.
Thank you for being the first on in this thread to get it right. Brenchel. His name is Brendon, not Brandon. Now, let's get them eliminated from our screens forever.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #45
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This one show, for me, has always been about the locations and the tasks and less about the teams. I've come to root against teams because I don't like them, but I still watch because I enjoy the travel aspect. For instance, I've never heard of the city they went to this week, so it's nice to learn something about it. As long as the tasks remain in sync with the culture of the places they go, I'll enjoy this show. Survivor has gone completely away from that, and I don't think it's a better show because they have.
I too love the travel aspect. This show takes me to places that I will probably never ever go. It's fascinating to see these different parts of the world. Just like I could spend hours on Google maps and Google streetview seeing what it's like in other places.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #46
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Of the 11 teams that started, 6 I'm rooting against (5 now), 3 I'm rooting for and 2 I'm indifferent about. Definitely rooting harder against than for anyone.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #47
Inundated
Severe Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Best phirst philimination ever.
No kidding.

I was even ready to accept the Twinnies as a needed "villain" team. But by the end of the episode, I'd had enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
+1

...and let's avoid calling them 'Branchel' just because they're trying to create their own nickname - and everyone knows you don't get to choose that, it has to be given to you!
Rack him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I still like the Trotters.
I like the Trotters, I like the Cowboys (I know everyone doesn't). Everyone else? I don't care.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #48
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I am not a fan of any team that screeches and yells so I was damn glad to see the Twinnies go. The Afghanimals need to go next please, it's a shame they were invited back.
+1!

I'm really sorry that Bopper isn't able to compete. Hope Mark and Mallory do well. Mallory's mildly annoying, but no where near the Twinnies or Afghanimals level of annoying.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #49
ElJay

Wow, this episode had lots of great stuff

- Marching band arrangement of the theme
- Seeing John's stupid incessant smile again as he got sent home in the archive footage
- Twins are gone already

Now there are only a half dozen other annoying teams to go.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #50
Inundated
Severe Lurker

I don't really "hate" the Afghanimals per se. I just think they try way too hard to be "outrageous" and "fun".
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
Wow, this episode had lots of great stuff

- Marching band arrangement of the theme
- Seeing John's stupid incessant smile again as he got sent home in the archive footage
- Twins are gone already

Now there are only a half dozen other annoying teams to go.
On the opening, have they just given up starting the race from various locations and now it just starts from SoCal always? Seems as far as I can remember, the last few seasons have all started from somewhere in the great Los Angeles area.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #52
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I loved that Phil just gave them airplane tickets right as they found the correct band members. No getting a clue, then fake drama racing to the airport to see who would get onto each flight.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #53
goblue97
Hoke-amania

No real physically challenging tasks this episode. I wonder if that was by design so they didn't lose the least physical team right off the bat.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #54
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I like the Trotters, I like the Cowboys (I know everyone doesn't). Everyone else? I don't care.
I like those, and the father/son team where the dad got injured. Can't remember the names.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #55
Inundated
Severe Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I like those, and the father/son team where the dad got injured. Can't remember the names.
Yeah, I'd be OK with them, too, though like you, I also can't remember their names.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #56
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I loved that Phil just gave them airplane tickets right as they found the correct band members. No getting a clue, then fake drama racing to the airport to see who would get onto each flight.
I liked that as well. Nobody needing to race the streets of LA to get to the airport first. Flight order is already determined based on the band task.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #57
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be OK with them, too, though like you, I also can't remember their names.
Dave (dad) and Connor (son).
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #58
Inundated
Severe Lurker

Quote:
Dave (dad) and Connor (son).
I still barely remember the team. I guess I didn't pay much attention to them...
Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #59
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I still barely remember the team. I guess I didn't pay much attention to them...
They were on a couple seasons ago. The dad hurt his achilles running to the mat on a small island after the teams had ridden jet skis to get to the island. IIRC, it was the same leg where the two black doctors were eliminated because neither could swim and therefore they couldn't complete one of the challenges.

John and Jessica had given their extra Express Pass to Dave and Connor (per an agreement that whoever won the EP would give the other one to the team that finished second) so D&C used it in the next leg to skip a challenge and ended up finishing first and won the prize for that leg. But at the beginning of the following leg, they met Phil at the mat and told him they were going to have to bow out. All of this happened in SE Asia.

In an interview with them after the race, they said that after the injury, they were allowed to contact Dave's doctor back in the States and were told that Dave should have surgery to repair the Achilles no more than a week after the injury. They felt like they had no choice but to quit the race and go back to the States to get the surgery, lest it cause Dave to have permanent ligament damage.

IIRC, one of the two of them is a cancer survivor, and they're both accomplished cyclists.

Does any of that ring a bell for you?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #60
ElJay

Quote:
I think they're a low-key team and thus the editing didn't put much of a spotlight on them until the injury occurred.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote