TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #211
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Exactly. He's obsessed with MCE, even though in reality, TiVo is the far better option for all but the most hard-core tinkerers.
Not exactly. I just like HTPCs. I also happen to like Tivos. I use WMC because it's the only available option for receiving and recording encrypted digital cable on a PC. Now that there are other options available if your provider doesn't flag the channels as copy once, I'm looking into giving them a try. The only problem is finding the time to do so.

I've already got one PC configured with XBMC, server.wmc, and pvr.wmc. I've only had a brief opportunity to test it out and ran into a few glitches. I've had issues with Verizon and my cablecard not activating properly so I've had to deal with getting a new one and trying to get it activated as well. Turns out that Verizon was having problems with cablecard activations across the board and apparently their phone tech support folks never got the memo. It also hasn't helped that mother nature keeps dumping lots of snow on us and I've had to devote many hours to just keeping my driveway clear.

Tivo or HTPC. You use which one suits your needs. It's all good.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #212
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Not exactly. I just like HTPCs. I also happen to like Tivos. I use WMC because it's the only available option for receiving and recording encrypted digital cable on a PC. Now that there are other options available if your provider doesn't flag the channels as copy once, I'm looking into giving them a try. The only problem is finding the time to do so.
True, it is the only option for using a PC to record digital cable. So it proves that until another software solution is developed, recording cable on a PC isn't viable. It's too bad that BeyondTV and SageTV were never able to grow into CableCard and become viable competitors to TiVo. The concept of running a centralized server based on a PC by adding your own hardware is great, it's just that MCE is so badly botched that it's just not realistic at this point...

In terms of copy once channels. HBO forces copy once, which is completely idiotic, but they do, so it is that way on all cable systems, even ones like Comcast that use the copy flags correctly. HBO should lighten up, since all their popular stuff is on torrent anyways, although I guess if you want it somewhere else, you can just torrent it.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #213
heyted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
True, it is the only option for using a PC to record digital cable.
There are many software solutions for recording digital cable on an HTPC. For example, if a user has all digital encrypted channels with all channels having CCI flagged as copy freely except premium channels, then a complete solution is possible with MythTV or other open source software if the user has no premium channels. Many people are not interested in premium channels like HBO. I used to have premium channels, but I dropped them all and got Netflix.
heyted is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #214
heyted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
The lines are fine. I even get Tivo's fud about the signal being too good.
I had signal issues myself several months ago. I do not have a tuning adapter, but I was having problems with some channels not tuning intermittently after Comcast did some work in my neighborhood. I used the TiVo Premiere that I had at the time to check the signal on the problem channels. It appeared that the signal was not too strong. Comcast recommend a home visit, and after checking the signal, I was surprised to hear him say the signal is "too hot." After he was finished, all channels worked fine.
heyted is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #215
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
True, it is the only option for using a PC to record digital cable. So it proves that until another software solution is developed, recording cable on a PC isn't viable. It's too bad that BeyondTV and SageTV were never able to grow into CableCard and become viable competitors to TiVo. The concept of running a centralized server based on a PC by adding your own hardware is great, it's just that MCE is so badly botched that it's just not realistic at this point...
Actually, it's the only option for recording channels marked as copy once. There are several options for recording digital cable over and above WMC as long as the channels are flagged as copy freely. There's an add-on for SageTV that allows you to use cablecard tuners for recording any channels flagged as copy freely. Even though SageTV is technically no longer supported since they sold out to Google, the developer of SageTV has promised to provide guide data for existing SageTV users indefinitely. If you're lucky you can still pick up a license to use SageTV from the classifieds in the SageTV forums (it's transferable).

I was just in the process of testing SageTV with the DCT add-on when they announced the sale to Google. When I realized that licenses were no longer directly available I stopped any further evaluation. It's a shame becauase I was really curious to see what all the fuss was about regarding SageTV. It's much more complex to configure than WMC, but their extenders were supposed to be the best in the business.

BeyondTV is still around for recording OTA channels, but they basically abandoned any further development after Windows 7 was released. I guess they just couldn't deal with the competition once Microsoft threw their hat into the ring. I used to use BTV with Windows XP but upgraded to Windows 7 and Media Center and never looked back.

Quote:
In terms of copy once channels. HBO forces copy once, which is completely idiotic, but they do, so it is that way on all cable systems, even ones like Comcast that use the copy flags correctly. HBO should lighten up, since all their popular stuff is on torrent anyways, although I guess if you want it somewhere else, you can just torrent it.
HBO doesn't flag their channels, your provider does. However, HBO pretty much demands that they do so for HBO and Cinemax. Providers that flag anything else should be horsewhipped.

Edit: I forgot to mention that XBMC and Media Portal also have the ability to use cablecard tuners, but with the same caveat and limitation as SageTV. XBMC actually uses any number of DVR apps as the backend for the recording engine and guide data. Here's a list of the various DVR apps that can be used with XBMC:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR_backend

I've also been considering Media Portal, which is very popular in other parts of the world. They only recently added live TV and recording functionality. Here's a link to their website if you want to take a gander:

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 02-16-2014 at 10:43 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #216
mschnebly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
So it proves that until another software solution is developed, recording cable on a PC isn't viable.
For you! Just because you don't have the right skills to set up an HTPC properly so that it's rock solid doesnt mean others can't. About once every quarter I run windows patching, reboot and forget about it. It is far more dependable than my Premiere ever was.
mschnebly is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #217
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
There are many software solutions for recording digital cable on an HTPC. For example, if a user has all digital encrypted channels with all channels having CCI flagged as copy freely except premium channels, then a complete solution is possible with MythTV or other open source software if the user has no premium channels. Many people are not interested in premium channels like HBO. I used to have premium channels, but I dropped them all and got Netflix.
By that same logic, you don't even need QAM, as if you don't have cable you can just use OTA. No CableCard necessary. MCE is the only complete digital cable solution on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
HBO doesn't flag their channels, your provider does. However, HBO pretty much demands that they do so for HBO and Cinemax. Providers that flag anything else should be horsewhipped.
Same difference. They force the providers to flag them. Yes, providers that flag stuff they shouldn't be flagging are evil. It's amazing that they would waste their time and money flagging stuff just to screw their own customers over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnebly View Post
For you! Just because you don't have the right skills to set up an HTPC properly so that it's rock solid doesnt mean others can't. About once every quarter I run windows patching, reboot and forget about it. It is far more dependable than my Premiere ever was.
MCE is a complete mess. Even if MCE had worked properly with my setup, the interface is a disaster, there are no good remotes, etc, etc.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #218
heyted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
By that same logic, you don't even need QAM, as if you don't have cable you can just use OTA. No CableCard necessary.
What? QAM is required for cable to work. I have cable because I want cable channels that are not broadcast OTA. A CableCARD is required to receive encrypted cable channels.

Clear QAM is not the same thing as CCI = copy freely.
heyted is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #219
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
Don't waste your time trying to argue with Bigg. He emphatically hates WMC for whatever reason and he believes everyone else should feel the same.

Arguing with him is like hitting your head against a brick wall. You'll feel much better when you finally stop. Most importantly, it adds nothing meaningful to this thread.

FWIW, I use a Logitech Harmony One to control my HTPC. It's the same remote I've used for years to control my Tivos. It's also one of the most popular remotes ever made. Sadly, it is no longer in production.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #220
mschnebly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Don't waste your time trying to argue with Bigg. He emphatically hates WMC for whatever reason and he believes everyone else should feel the same.

Arguing with him is like hitting your head against a brick wall. You'll feel much better when you finally stop. Most importantly, it adds nothing meaningful to this thread.

FWIW, I use a Logitech Harmony One to control my HTPC. It's the same remote I've used for years to control my Tivos. It's also one of the most popular remotes ever made. Sadly, it is no longer in production.
Ain't that the truth. I also use the Harmony One and my wife has no problems at all. She always hated the sluggishness of our Premiere. It's nice to have choices.
mschnebly is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #221
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
What? QAM is required for cable to work. I have cable because I want cable channels that are not broadcast OTA. A CableCARD is required to receive encrypted cable channels.

Clear QAM is not the same thing as CCI = copy freely.
My point is, your argument that HBO doesn't matter is ridiculous, because by the same logic, nothing on cable matters, so you may as well just use OTA. Definitely not the case.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #222
trip1eX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Back for your weekly session of poking the bear? How on earth is heyted's response an emotional argument? Are you saying that personal preference has absolutely no bearing on what a person chooses to purchase or make use of? It's a very valid argument and also quite logical. Tivo is a fixed platform with virtually zero room for modification or customization, especially with the most recent models. A HTPC configuration is fluid. You can change the hardware or software to suit your taste and requirements. You can customize it for additional features and appearance. You can also choose to go with something other than Windows Media Center if you prefer a different front end. If someone prefers not to have this level of control then Tivo would clearly be their personal preference. Those of us that like to tinker and have more control over what our DVRs can do prefer something a bit different. Personal preference has everything to do with it.
? It's emotional because it was all about control and not about any benefits of that control. Control for control's sake. You are doing the same thing.

His and your "control" is all a bit of a mirage and theoretical. I mean in theory you could build your recording tv software and have all the control you want. What's stopping you? And then considering that you really only have 1 choice for recording cabletv software and that all the hardware, except maybe cases and remotes, is pretty standardized, the control here is a mirage as well.

I guess you could say you have more choices if you want a worse WMC pc. I mean if you want your pc louder than a Tivo and run hotter or have a bigger case etc then you can do that and save some money. But you can't do better, despite all your control, with power efficiency nor how quiet it is to any degree that matters nor probably how compact a Roamio Plus is. And probably can't do better than a Tivo remote either. So control seems like an emotional argument that serves a psychological need. The word "control" is meant to win over emotions rather than logic.

A few years ago WMC had a lot going for it over Tivo. But now WMC has none of these advantages it had. I mentioned these earlier in this thread.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
There is always a caveat with any venture into an area that's new or unfamiliar. If you want to call it fine print then fine. However, if you don't read the "fine print" then that's on you. If you don't already know what you're getting yourself into then you haven't done your homework. Again, this is common sense for most of us. You simply don't jump into something like building and configuring a HTPC without prior knowledge of what's involved. If you don't, you'll be in over your head before you realize what happened. Anyone that's worked with PCs knows this to be a fact and not simply conjecture. It's like trying to hack a Tivo without doing any research first. Your philosophy is on the same level as someone requiring a warning label on a coffee cup at McDonald's to inform them that the contents may be hot.
You are all mixed up. I said, "You want the WMC pc to be much cheaper than a Roamio Plus. But when someone points out that this comes with many caveats then you say you can overcome those. But when someone points out that the WMC pc is then no longer a cheaper option you cry foul!!!"

The caveats in this case are the fact your much cheaper WMC pc will be a POS. I've mentioned specifics in earlier posts.

And what you just said only backs up what Bigg says,

" He's obsessed with MCE, even though in reality, TiVo is the far better option for all but the most hard-core tinkerers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
All this talk about time being money and so forth is superfluous and irrelevant. If that's how you have to measure time having fun then it's clearly not your thing. You can't put a price on time spent doing something you enjoy. I don't sit around thinking about how much time I spend on a hobby vs. what pay rate I get for doing my regular job. If anything, I look forward to spending the time away from my regular job doing something fun and rewarding.
This also reaffirms what Bigg says. And which I agree with.

But I just leave the hard-core tinkerer part out because I haven't heard of a tinkerer that needs to be told they can tinker. And in general this isn't the vast majority of people especially, or at least, when it comes to DVRs.

If you really think WMC is only for those who love building computers and tinkering with them so much that they never count the time then why nitpick those like Bigg or myself who say Roamio is the way to go?

And personally a few years there were some very pragmatic reasons to go with WMC over a Premiere. WMC had 4 tuners and extenders and a speedier UI. The Premiere's default storage was also pretty laughably low by most measures. Now WMC has none of those advantages. And MS has discontinued further support on top of it.

Last edited by trip1eX : 02-24-2014 at 09:07 PM.
trip1eX is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #223
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
You waited a whole 10 days before stirring the pot this time. You must be slacking off.

Nobody is trying to convince you that WMC is better than your Tivo. You use whatever suits your needs and I'll keep using WMC or whatever PC-based setup I desire. I just picked up a SageTV server license so I plan on playing with that when I can find the time. I'd also like to take a crack at using Media Portal and the latest XBMC version that supports cablecards. This thread was supposed to be about WMC so I haven't branched out to discuss those areas in more detail.

You can argue all of the insigificant points you like but it still doesn't change the fact that a PC-based DVR or media center PC is far more versatile than any Tivo ever made. Both platforms have their pluses and minuses. I just feel that a HTPC has more in the plus column overall than a Tivo, but that's just my opinion.

Heat and noise are irrelevant because they're things you can fix if you deem it necessary, and it won't break the bank to do so. Cost is also a non-issue because anyone planning on building a HTPC won't think twice about spending more on it than a Tivo. Energy consumption with today's PC hardware is at an all-time low. My NUCs probably consume about the same energy as a Tivo, if only slightly more (the power supply is only rated at 19.5 watts, IIRC). You can use a Raspberry Pi with OpenElec (an XBMC distribution) for streaming 1080P Blu-Rays with HD audio that will use less energy than a Tivo. I haven't heard of anyone using it as a DVR, but I have no doubt it can probably be done with the right setup.

I only pointed out that it's possible to build a HTPC for the same or even less than a Tivo. In reality, most people will opt for a more expensive solution. If you want to continue to nickel and dime the argument to death then that's on you. That horse has been dead for quite some time now so please put down your club.

You and Bigg seem determined to try and convince the rest of the world that WMC is a POS and should not be used under any circumstances. The real truth is that you seem to be trying harder to convince yourselves of this because the majority of people that have tried WMC aren't buying it. I get the feeling that you guys must have been traumatized by Bill Gates or someone from Microsoft at a very early age to exhibit this much hatred and contempt. I think you'd be surprised to learn just how many members here also use HTPCs and are active in the Home Theater PC section of the AVS Forums.

I'm not here to pick a fight with anyone. If you don't like WMC then that's your right. It's also my right to use whatever platform I choose. All of your comments aren't going to change my thought process nor do I expect mine to change your way of thinking. Like I said, it's all good.

Peace.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 02-25-2014 at 08:11 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #224
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,962
Hay guys, the original question was what is the difference between TiVo and WMC, not the difference between people who use WMC and people who don't. I think at 233 posts the original question has been answered to death, the difference in people will never have an answer, so let kill this thread as it has done its job.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #225
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
I couldn't agree more.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #226
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
And personally a few years there were some very pragmatic reasons to go with WMC over a Premiere. WMC had 4 tuners and extenders and a speedier UI. The Premiere's default storage was also pretty laughably low by most measures. Now WMC has none of those advantages. And MS has discontinued further support on top of it.
Yeah. There was also the whole server/client model, where with TiVo you had to have one box per room, with CableCards after HD came around. Before that, in the analog/ Clear QAM days, you could have a whole ton of tuners stacked into one HTPC, integrate OTA HDTV before some cable companies ever had HD, etc, etc. But the biggest thing was the extenders. Now TiVo has TiVo Mini, every cable company is all-digital and has just about every HD under the sun, etc, etc.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #227
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Not exactly. I just like HTPCs. I also happen to like Tivos. I use WMC because it's the only available option for receiving and recording encrypted digital cable on a PC.
False, unless you are making the trivial distinction that it must be recorded by the same device that stores the video. Editing encrypted videos from the HTPC is problematical, and saving encrypted videos in such a way that they will survive the loss of the HTPC is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
True, it is the only option for using a PC to record digital cable.
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
So it proves that until another software solution is developed, recording cable on a PC isn't viable. It's too bad that BeyondTV and SageTV were never able to grow into CableCard and become viable competitors to TiVo. The concept of running a centralized server based on a PC by adding your own hardware is great.
Hmm. Not so much, really. I much prefer to NOT have the tuners loaded into the centralized server. I recently upgraded the arrays in my main servers to 24T, but neither one has a tuner. The TiVos have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Actually, it's the only option for recording channels marked as copy once. There are several options for recording digital cable over and above WMC as long as the channels are flagged as copy freely.
Misleading. When I was with a CATV system that copy protected everything, I freely copied and edited encrypted, copy protected videos transferred from my TiVos. Well, of course they weren't either encrypted or protected when they got copied, but they were one or both leaving the headend.

Last edited by lrhorer : 02-25-2014 at 07:23 PM.
lrhorer is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #228
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnebly View Post
For you! Just because you don't have the right skills to set up an HTPC properly so that it's rock solid doesnt mean others can't. About once every quarter I run windows patching, reboot and forget about it. It is far more dependable than my Premiere ever was.
You seem to have little notion of what "rock solid" means. If I had to reboot any server once a quarter, it would go sailing out the door. Any device that has to be rebooted every three months is far, far from being rock solid. Admittedly the Premiere is not as stable as the S3 platform, or at least the one the CATV company provides me is not, but my S3s are rarely rebooted. Aside from extended power outages, my servers get rebooted once every two or three years or so.

Last edited by lrhorer : 02-25-2014 at 07:54 PM.
lrhorer is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #229
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
False, unless you are making the trivial distinction that it must be recorded by the same device that stores the video. Editing encrypted videos from the HTPC is problematical, and saving encrypted videos in such a way that they will survive the loss of the HTPC is impossible.


False
Don't understand what your getting at here. Media center is the only PC based software approved by Cable Labs to record encrypted digital cable using a CableCARD. You seem to be implying that you can use a TiVo to record the shows and then simply offload them to some of network storage. Which is true with some channels, but not all. And that functionality can be taken away from you by the cable company at any time. Just ask any TWC user.

That being said if your cable company decides to set the CCI byte you're SOL no matter what platform you use to record it. A protected WTV file can only be played on the PC that created it, and you can even have trouble if you swap out a few parts and reload the OS. The biggest advantage it has over TiVo is that all files are portable, so you can backup and move any WTV file as long as you still have the original machine to play it.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo

Last edited by Dan203 : 02-25-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Dan203 is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #230
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Same difference. They force the providers to flag them. Yes, providers that flag stuff they shouldn't be flagging are evil. It's amazing that they would waste their time and money flagging stuff just to screw their own customers over.
Not really. Can you say MPAA? They wield some big guns, and they have their fingers deep into the guts of a lot of CATV companies. Stop and think... who used to own Time Warner Cable outright?
lrhorer is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #231
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Don't understand your getting at here. Media center is the only PC based software approved by Cable Labs to record encrypted digital cable using a CableCARD.
If you are insisting the same device that records the video stores the data, then you have a point. Using one device to record and another to store the video makes the point moot. What is a approved by CableLabs and what is possible are also two very different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You seem to be implying that you can use a TiVo to record the shows and then simply offload them to some of network storage.
Over 12,000 Gigabytes (over 2000 videos), so far, converted to MP4 / h.264 via VideoRedo. (Feel free to insert a blatant plug for your software here, although it has no bearing on encryption or CCI.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Which is true with some channels, but not all.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
And that functionality can be taken away from you by the cable company at any time.
Not legally, at least not at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Just ask any TWC user.
You seem to forget: I was a TWC user. San Antonio was one of the first, if not the very first, city to be treated to the joys of CCI > 0, and most of our channels were not only encrypted, they were SDV. More than 90% of my videos were set to CCI 0x01 by TWC, and more than 50% were on SDV channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That being said if your cable company decides to set the CCI byte you're SOL no matter what platform you use to record it.
Not true. Those of us with S3 class TiVos and a smidgen of gumption can sail on uninterrupted and unperturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
A protected WTV file can only be played on the PC that created it, and you can even have trouble if you swap out a few parts and reload the OS.
Which is a very big reason I cannot ever recommend an HTPC, especially not on a system like TWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The biggest advantage it has over TiVo is that all files are portable, so you can backup and move any WTV file as long as you still have the original machine to play it.
How many machines will still be around substantially intact 20 years from when they were purchased? I have videos I recorded from 2006 onwards. I'm not sure there is a single piece of hardware still around from when the earliest ones were recorded, and I know there is no software. Not only can I play them all without the original hardware, I could, if I choose, play them on virtually any piece of modern hardware, anywhere.

Last edited by lrhorer : 02-25-2014 at 07:58 PM.
lrhorer is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #232
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not legally, at least not at this time.
Yes they can. They are allowed to flag every channel except broadcast channels as copy never if they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not true. Those of us with S3 class TiVos and a smidgen of gumption can sail on uninterrupted and unperturbed.
What you are doing is technically a violation of the DMCA and you could be prosecuted if you were caught. Now the chance of that happening is nill, but there is a reason TiVos have gotten progressively more secure over the generations. These companies put a lot of pressure on TiVo to sure up the devices specifically to prevent what you're doing. And if the industry ever moves on from CableCARDs you're going to be SOL because they're going to make sure the next generation stuff is locked down air tight.

Now I'm not routing against you. Heck our business depends on customers like you. But we can see where the industry is headed and eventually archiving content is no longer going to be possible. There are even provisions in place that will allow MSOs to disable analog outputs, remotely, if they meet certain requirements. Once the loop is closed we're all going to be SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
How many machines will still be around 20 years from when they were purchased? I have videos I recorded from 2006 onwards. I'm not sure there is a single piece of hardware still around from when the earliest ones were recorded, and I know there is no software. Not only can I play them all without the original hardware, I could, if I choose, play them on virtually any piece of modern hardware, anywhere.
Yeah TiVo's scheme is much more flexible in that respect. Their public key encryption method allows any device on the same account to play a recording. Although that's moot if you have no way of moving the recording off of the original device.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #233
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
A few years ago WMC had a lot going for it over Tivo. But now WMC has none of these advantages it had. I mentioned these earlier in this thread.
Sure it does - it's still cheaper than Tivo for whole house once you get beyond a couple of TVs. I've seen your arguments saying that it's not and don't agree with them (for the reasonably tech-savvy among us, that is - certain folks here had no business rolling up WMC).
slowbiscuit is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #234
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not true. Those of us with S3 class TiVos and a smidgen of gumption can sail on uninterrupted and unperturbed.
That's fine except that you have now entered a gray area that is not allowed for discussion here. Eveything we're talking about here is stock hardware and software, not something you had to hack to get around encryption issues or the CCI byte. The only modifications being discussed are all legal add-ons for WMC that tweak it for additional features or appearance.

AFAIK, any Tivo newer than a series 3 cannot be hacked to circumvent this issue. A lot of people that want the added tuners or extender capabilities that Tivo offers will likely opt for the newer models, making your argument completely moot. FWIW, my last S3 had a PROM mod that allowed me to do exactly what you're referring to. I'm on FIOS so I don't need any of that with my HTPC since I can simply transfer files over my network without the need for any special software (i.e., Tivo Desktop or kttmg) and edit them with VideoReDo. If I was on a system that flagged the content then it would be another matter entirely. It really doesn't matter to me since I gave up archiving TV shows years ago. It just takes up too much storage and I'll probably never get around to watching anything I've saved. I've already got over 20TB of movies and videos on my server that I will probably never have the opportunity to watch in my lifetime.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 02-26-2014 at 06:41 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #235
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Not exactly. I just like HTPCs. I also happen to like Tivos. I use WMC because it's the only available option for receiving and recording encrypted digital cable on a PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
False, unless you are making the trivial distinction that it must be recorded by the same device that stores the video. Editing encrypted videos from the HTPC is problematical, and saving encrypted videos in such a way that they will survive the loss of the HTPC is impossible.
Not true at all, at least not in my case since I'm on FIOS. There are scripts available that will automatically transfer recordings to a server or other type of network storage once the recording has completed. If the shows are flagged then it can be problematic. I don't rack up a lot of recordings before I watch them so anything I would lose is minimal at best. Besides, there's always torrents to retrieve lost shows.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 02-26-2014 at 07:13 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #236
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes they can. They are allowed to flag every channel except broadcast channels as copy never if they want.
They can flag whatever they want, other than broadcast channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What you are doing is technically a violation of the DMCA and you could be prosecuted if you were caught.
Nope. CableLabs is not a regulatory authority at any level, the fact their actions (not the user's) are mandated by FCC regulations notwithstanding. CATV companies are required to support CableCards, but they are not even required to forbid non-compliant devices from being attached to their network. They are allowed to refuse to support such devices, however.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not doing anything with the CCI byte. I'm no longer with TWC, remember? My current CATV provider does not aggressively set the CCI byte, so any one of my neighbors has an option to avoid the CCI byte restrictions merely by dumping TWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Now the chance of that happening is nill, but there is a reason TiVos have gotten progressively more secure over the generations.
Per CableLabs specs. CableLabs specs have no force of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
These companies put a lot of pressure on TiVo to sure up the devices specifically to prevent what you're doing.
No company has any legal authority. They often act as if they do, and people buy into it, but they do not. There are regulations which in some cases protect companies from various influences, but those regs are produced by legal authorities, not by the companies themselves. The fact the companies often have legislators in their hip pockets is another matter.

It' also true TiVo must acquiesce to the pressure from the CATV industry in order to survive, but that, also, is in no way a matter of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
And if the industry ever moves on from CableCARDs you're going to be SOL because they're going to make sure the next generation stuff is locked down air tight.
So would every owner of any S3+ TiVo and any HTPC. As far as being locked down tight, the S4+ systems already pretty much are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Now I'm not routing against you. Heck our business depends on customers like you. But we can see where the industry is headed and eventually archiving content is no longer going to be possible.
I wouldn't bet on it, but if it happens, it happens. My library is already pretty comprehensive, and I long ago realized no one can prevent a fool from giving away his freedoms. This is a pretty niche freedom, so gaining a lot of grass roots support for a stand against such a restriction is going to be pretty hopeless. OTOH, Macrovision and DRM on music both failed pretty miserably, so maybe in the long run so will copy protection on CATV feeds.
There are even provisions in place that will allow MSOs to disable analog outputs, remotely, if they meet certain requirements. Once the loop is closed we're all going to be SOL.

Last edited by lrhorer : 02-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.
lrhorer is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #237
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
That's fine except that you have now entered a gray area that is not allowed for discussion here. Eveything we're talking about here is stock hardware and software
Calling any HTPC "stock" is stretching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
not something you had to hack to get around encryption issues or the CCI byte. The only modifications being discussed are all legal add-ons for WMC that tweak it for additional features or appearance.
I won't go into the details of the modifications here because their discussion is indeed frowned upon in this forum, but that in no way makes them illegal and it certainly does not mean they do not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
AFAIK, any Tivo newer than a series 3 cannot be hacked to circumvent this issue.
Correct, at least for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
A lot of people that want the added tuners or extender capabilities that Tivo offers will likely opt for the newer models, making your argument completely moot.
If even one person prefers to keep their old units, then the argument is by definition not completely moot. It is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
It just takes up too much storage and I'll probably never get around to watching anything I've saved. I've already got over 20TB of movies and videos on my server that I will probably never have the opportunity to watch in my lifetime.
It's not about watching or not watching any particular program. It is about having the choice available.
lrhorer is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #238
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Calling any HTPC "stock" is stretching it.
Not at all. Stick a tuner in any off-the-shelf PC and you've got an instant HTPC. In fact, any PC that is used for any type of media playback is considered a HTPC by definition.

Quote:
I won't go into the details of the modifications here because their discussion is indeed frowned upon in this forum, but that in no way makes them illegal and it certainly does not mean they do not exist.
No need. Been there and done that.
mr.unnatural is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #239
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Nope. CableLabs is not a regulatory authority at any level, the fact their actions (not the user's) are mandated by FCC regulations notwithstanding. CATV companies are required to support CableCards, but they are not even required to forbid non-compliant devices from being attached to their network. They are allowed to refuse to support such devices, however.
The DMCA is very broad and basically says that you are not allowed to take any steps to circumvent copy protection of any kind. So by hacking your TiVo to allow the CCI byte to be disabled you have violated the DMCA.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #240
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
False
Actually, it is the only system that CableLabs certified, and fully functional. There are other systems that can get certain channels, or ClearQAM, but not everything.

Quote:
Hmm. Not so much, really. I much prefer to NOT have the tuners loaded into the centralized server. I recently upgraded the arrays in my main servers to 24T, but neither one has a tuner. The TiVos have them.
In which case, you're not using a PC DVR, so what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not really. Can you say MPAA? They wield some big guns, and they have their fingers deep into the guts of a lot of CATV companies. Stop and think... who used to own Time Warner Cable outright?
Comcast and FIOS only flags HBO. Everything else is unflagged. So it's not mandated by the cable providers. Comcast and FIOS are doing it right, TWC is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes they can. They are allowed to flag every channel except broadcast channels as copy never if they want.
They legally can, but it's still a botched implementation of what the CCI was supposed to do (well it never should have existed, but that's another story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The DMCA is very broad and basically says that you are not allowed to take any steps to circumvent copy protection of any kind. So by hacking your TiVo to allow the CCI byte to be disabled you have violated the DMCA.
Technically true, but it's hard to do much of anything these days without violating the DMCA. Heck, the legality of Jailbreaking an iPhone has been questioned based on the DMCA.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline  
Closed Thread
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |