TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
franklasvegas

Another MoCa Question...

OK - out of confusion verging on frustration...

I purchased the MoCA adapter from TiVo and using the Roamio as a bridge.
I have the POE were the main feed comes into my condo before it hits any splitters.

I still had an Ethernet cable in the Roamio and it said I was running
Ethernet + MoCA (which support indicated was correct when I questioned it).

I have been having some weird tiling/pixelation/freezing/etc. problems on certain channels (NEVER did on the Premiere 2-tuner this replaced).

In doing some processes of elimination I had brought the Roamio up without the Ethernet cable plugged in. Everything works fine - Netflix, TiVo suggestion windows, connecting to TiVo service. The Mini in bedroom works fine also.

Do you need the Ethernet plugged into the Roamio unit? If so, for what?

Also, when I turn on the Mini in bedroom (PHY = 240 to 255 consistently) it says its can't find the Roamio but does so in a few seconds - is this normal? Support today said there should be NO lag...

Thanks!

Frank-
franklasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
supasta

Do you have the MoCA adapter connected at your router? If so, then no, you don't need the ethernet connection (and it reads that your setup works fine in this configuration).

You can connect the Roamio with ethernet and use it as a MoCA bridge, eliminating the need for the MoCA adapter (this is the Ethernet + MoCA network configuration).

http://www.tivo.com/my-account/how-t...r-home-network

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
franklasvegas

supasta - thank you for the info.

Any thoughts on whether having Ethernet in the MoCA adapter & directly connected to the Roamio (bridge scenario) might create some image "conflicts"?

Since removing the direct connect Ethernet to the Roamio, have not noticed the tiling/pixelation/etc. but it has only been a couple of hours...

Thoughts on the lag for the Mini to connect to the Roamio when I fire it up? Take about 3 or 4 seconds to "find" the Roamio? Support "claims" it should in instantaneous...

Frank
Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

You dont need the moca adapter if you use the Roamio as the bridge. Unless you are going to have a different configuration one things are settled in?

It should be instant/not even noticeable connection for the Mini:

Have both the mini and your Roamio connect to tivo, wait for the update to process and reboot both boxes.

And also reboot everything else on your network (e.g. cable modem, router, switches, moca adapter, etc). You put em through some networking trauma, with having two bridges between the networks!

After they come back up make sure both Tivo boxes are running version 20.3.8.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklasvegas View Post

Any thoughts on whether having Ethernet in the MoCA adapter & directly connected to the Roamio (bridge scenario) might create some image "conflicts"?
I am unsure if this is the cause of your pixelation issues, but you ultimately don't need both connections.
Quote:
Since removing the direct connect Ethernet to the Roamio, have not noticed the tiling/pixelation/etc. but it has only been a couple of hours...
I am unsure if having both connections present would cause the pixelation issues you are seeing. I would assume that the ethernet connection has no influence on picture quality when watching Live TV, but would have an impact on picture quality when watching a transferred or streaming program. It appears that your tests have shown anecdotally that when you have both connections you get pixelation, and when you remove one connection the problem ceases. It sounds like you have solved that problem. My guess is that it has to do with the MoCA adapter and the connection redundancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Have both the mini and your Roamio connect to tivo, wait for the update to process and reboot both boxes.

And also reboot everything else on your network (e.g. cable modem, router, switches, moca adapter, etc).
You should also do exactly this. Then return the MoCA adapter to TiVo - you don't need it.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
ncfoster

Quote:
OK - out of confusion verging on frustration...
I'm going back to the original post, because I think there is definitely some confusion here. At least, I know that I'm confused.

Quote:
I purchased the MoCA adapter from TiVo and using the Roamio as a bridge.
I have the POE were the main feed comes into my condo before it hits any splitters.
Can you start by explaining what the Roamio is bridging, exactly? In order to act as a bridge, it would need both connections, the coaxial MoCA and the Ethernet. In the absence of either, it is not bridging.

Quote:
I still had an Ethernet cable in the Roamio and it said I was running
Ethernet + MoCA (which support indicated was correct when I questioned it).

I have been having some weird tiling/pixelation/freezing/etc. problems on certain channels (NEVER did on the Premiere 2-tuner this replaced).
You mention a Mini at the end of your post, but here I presume that you are just talking about video coming off the tuners on the Roamio itself?

Quote:
In doing some processes of elimination I had brought the Roamio up without the Ethernet cable plugged in. Everything works fine - Netflix, TiVo suggestion windows, connecting to TiVo service. The Mini in bedroom works fine also.

Do you need the Ethernet plugged into the Roamio unit? If so, for what?
If you are just using MoCA for everything, you should be fine without an Ethernet connection.

Quote:
Also, when I turn on the Mini in bedroom (PHY = 240 to 255 consistently) it says its can't find the Roamio but does so in a few seconds - is this normal? Support today said there should be NO lag...
I can't speak to this. I don't use MoCA, but it does seem like some folks have a better experience with it than others. As someone decidedly non-expert on MoCA, two things come to mind:
  1. Since you have the Ethernet drop available, use it and see if it works better; and
  2. Since you have the standalone MoCA adapter, try two different scenarios, and see if either works better.
    Scenario #1: Roamio in bridge mode with the MoCA adapter unused;
    Scenario #2: Roamio NOT in bridge mode, with the MoCA bridging done at the router.

Finally, I am assuming that you do not have an Ethernet connection available at the Mini's location? I am using straight Ethernet, and I had a flawless experience.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
franklasvegas

OK - so I removed the MoCA adapter TiVo rep had previously said I needed and set the Roamio to be the bridge (Ethernet+MoCA).

All is work at the Mini (PHY is right at 280).

When I turn on the TV that the Mini is attached to it always says it can't find the Roamio and it may be a network issue. After 5 or 6 seconds all is OK.

It just bugs me (Type A here ). I called TiVo again and support says - well - not really sure - could be a software issue and then is there anything else I can help you with. They don't have very good troubleshooting skills to say the least.

Any more thoughts on what could cause this 5 or 6 second connect to the Roamio delay? Not the end of the world - just annoying...

So now I have the MoCA adapter they said I needed - can return to TiVo but will be out about $20.00 with the shipping charges. Wonder if there would be any need to just keep it - for what though?

Thanks.
Frank
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
shrike4242

Check your router to make sure there isn't a firmware upgrade available for it.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
franklasvegas

Actually my router died Saturday so I replaced it (actually a higher throughput capable one) and updated all firmware when I set it up this past weekend.

Also, if I am watching the Mini and hit TiVo to go to TiVo Central - the "Can't find the Roamio" message displays for a brief second and then the suggestion boxes populate - but not all the time.

Just seems weird to me.

Thanks.
Frank