TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
srjtr7

S3 Software 11.3b7 broke my channels

On friday my Tivo S3 got a software update to 11.3b7-01-2-652 and now all my channels except for the basic channels now say "This channel is not authorized".

Anyone else having this issue?

I called Verizon FIOS because I thought it was their issue, they came out and change the cable cards, cables, ONT and everything looked good on their end.

I can even take out the cable cards from the 2-series 3's that are not working and put them in to my Series 4 and I get all the channels.

Tivo support said maybe 1-2 weeks for a fix.
1- Series 4- 4 tuner on the way

Sitting collecting dust-----
Tivo Series 2
2- Direct Tivo Series 2 Hughes
srjtr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
unitron

Apparently that was an update that wasn't supposed to be pushed out.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...8977#e11178977

But now I'm dying to know what's in it that's not in 11.0m

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But now I'm dying to know what's in it that's not in 11.0m
Well, if they really bring it in line with the Australia/New Zealand TiVos (which have been running 11.3 for a long time), it will mean that MPEG-4 channels and transport streams will come to the Series 3. A big win, IMHO, although a little late for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

11.3 makes me suspect the update is just planned for the "down under" boxes.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Agreed. There's a very slim chance they could roll it to all US units, and it just accidentally hit some random units.

Funny, though, how when a major rollout created a big bug for me, I was told "TiVo never rolls-back, only rolls-out higher revisions", and the most they could do was to halt a rollout, then begin a new rollout with a higher revision, in the event of a major bug popping up part-way into staged rollout. Rolling me back to my previous software, which I requested, was request-denied.

If TiVo's servers have been fixed to not send the update to the afflicted TSNs (again), then simply changing the active partitions to what is now the "alternate" partitions, should theoretically roll those units back to whatever the version was pre-wrong-update...

WinMFS is the easiest tool, for novices, if anybody wants to try switching active partitions. The experts know the hex/disk editing way to do the same thing.

At this time, a KS(kickstart)52 most likely would result in the update being installed to the current alternate partition, then it becoming active, which should give those inclined to study the "wrong" software a "backup" to study, for when TiVo rolls the fix (in theory, in my current groggy head).
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, it's currently the most logical scenario.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
unitron

For those wishing to use WinMFS to switch back to the previous version of the software, hook the drive to the PC, boot into Windows, start WinMFS, select the drive, and under File, click on

mfsinfo

and it should somewhere tell you if your primary boot partitions are 2, 3, and 4, and the alternates are 5, 6, and 7, or if it's the other way around.

After you close out

mfsinfo

somewhere to the right of File is another thing to click on (Tools, maybe) and it drops down and one of the offered options is

fixboot

or

bootfix

or something like that, and it offers 2 options.

Option 1 makes 2, 3, and 4 your primary boot partitions, regardless of whether they already were or not, and makes 5, 6, and 7 the alternates.

Option 2, regardless of previous setting, makes 5, 6, and 7 the primary boot partitions, and 2, 3, and 4 the alternates.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
gtalvola

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjtr7 View Post
On friday my Tivo S3 got a software update to 11.3b7-01-2-652 and now all my channels except for the basic channels now say "This channel is not authorized".

Anyone else having this issue?

I called Verizon FIOS because I thought it was their issue, they came out and change the cable cards, cables, ONT and everything looked good on their end.

I can even take out the cable cards from the 2-series 3's that are not working and put them in to my Series 4 and I get all the channels.

Tivo support said maybe 1-2 weeks for a fix.
I'm in the same boat. I have 3 Tivo HD's and 2 of them are exhibiting that same symptom - I get only the basic channels. And I tried swapping cable cards and the problem stuck with the Tivo's, not the cable cards. I don't currently have access to the Tivos but I suspect 2 of them got the software update and the 3rd did not. I'll double check tonight.
gtalvola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Funny, though, how when a major rollout created a big bug for me, I was told "TiVo never rolls-back, only rolls-out higher revisions", and the most they could do was to halt a rollout, then begin a new rollout with a higher revision, in the event of a major bug popping up part-way into staged rollout. Rolling me back to my previous software, which I requested, was request-denied.
If that's the way it works (and it seems likely), all series 3's may have to get an update in order to replace the bogus 11.3 update that a few boxes got. For most boxes this "update" will be identical to the 11.0m that it replaces! Unless they are able to identify just the boxes that need correction and somehow update only them back to 11.0m. I suspect Tivo may have opened a big can of worms with this mistake.

and
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
srjtr7

I called Tivo and they tried to have me do a kickstart 52 and it will not run.

I get all the proper lights to blink at the right times..it just keeps loading and starts as normal and problem is not gone.

If they cannot help me sort it out I might try the tool mantioned above to switch the active partition.

Anyone know if having an expansion drive will affects running that tool, or is all "OS" on the internal and the expansion drive is just a data drive?

Tivo Series 2
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I think Tivo owes the affected users something to compensate for this error, perhaps a refund or credit for a months subscription cost.

and
Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Well, if they really bring it in line with the Australia/New Zealand TiVos (which have been running 11.3 for a long time), it will mean that MPEG-4 channels and transport streams will come to the Series 3. A big win, IMHO, although a little late for me.
I really hope that they do this!! My provider (Cox) has moved some channels to MPEG-4.

Is anyone with this software version able to test a MPEG-4 channel?
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjtr7 View Post
I called Tivo and they tried to have me do a kickstart 52 and it will not run.

I get all the proper lights to blink at the right times..it just keeps loading and starts as normal and problem is not gone.

If they cannot help me sort it out I might try the tool mantioned above to switch the active partition.

Anyone know if having an expansion drive will affects running that tool, or is all "OS" on the internal and the expansion drive is just a data drive?
Another reason to avoid expansion drives.

Figure out some way to hook up both the internal drive and the external drive to the PC on which you'll be running WinMFS and when you Select Drive, select the internal and then the external as the "B" drive, and maybe it'll be able to work with things that way.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

So which TiVos got this "update?" Was it just TiVoHD (TCD652)? TiVoHD XL (TCD658)? or (dare I say) Series 3 OLED (TCD648)? I would be very interested to know.

I will check my TiVos to see if I got an updated machine, too.

I'm guessing it is just the TCD65x or TiVoHD variants who got the 11.3 update.

Thanks,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
morac
Cat God

Quote:
If that's the way it works (and it seems likely), all series 3's may have to get an update in order to replace the bogus 11.3 update that a few boxes got. For most boxes this "update" will be identical to the 11.0m that it replaces! Unless they are able to identify just the boxes that need correction and somehow update only them back to 11.0m. I suspect Tivo may have opened a big can of worms with this mistake.
It depends. If the database format hasn't changed, then it would be very easy to revert the software as I'm sure TiVo has the ability to remote force install since there's a kickstart option that does the same thing.

If the database format has changed during the update (get the this will take an hour screen), then things become a lot more complicated as the older software might not be able to read the new database format, depending on what was changed. This would require developing a method to revert the database format. I don't know how tricky that is or of TiVo has the ability or not.

During the normal upgrade cycle they don't downgrade since everyone will eventually get new software. The Series 3 is in the end of life stage, so updates will not occur, with one notable exception.

Last edited by morac : 02-27-2014 at 05:12 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It depends. If the database format hasn't changed, then it would be very easy to revert the software as I'm sure TiVo has the ability to remote force install since there's a kickstart option that does the same thing.

If the database format has changed during the update (get the this will take an hour screen), then things become a lot more complicated as the older software might not be able to read the new database format, depending on what was changed. This would require developing a method to revert the database format. I don't know how tricky that is or of TiVo has the ability or not.

During the normal upgrade cycle they don't downgrade since everyone will eventually get new software. The Series 3 is in the end of life stage, so outdates will not occur, with one notable exception.

Apparently there are two recent notable exceptions to the no updates state of things, although this more recent one wasn't intentional, as was 11.0m

Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Agreed. I'd expect TiVo to just roll-out an "update" of a higher revision, to all S3/HD units. I doubt it will be for anything except fixing the blunder, but will be rolled to everybody, for consistency, but likely not fix anything, or add any new features. It likely will just "fix" units which received the "wrong" revision...

I think everybody needs to cross their fingers, and hope like crazy, that they don't break anything (as many updates have had a tendency to do, but not always).

As mentioned by other posts leading up to this one, TiVo may be able to "un-update" the units. Although, IMHO, they likely won't do so, as it will prove they can "remove" an update, leading to requests for rollbacks (which they don't allow, AFAIK)... YMMV, and all that stuff.

Anybody who has the "wrong" software, may want to consider making a backup (clone) of the drive, before the "fix" happens, so there is a copy around, for "experts" to dig around the code. Doing so was requested in the 11.0m thread, where people are getting mad that their thread has morphed from on-topic to off-topic...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
thalador

I just got off of a chat with Tivo. I am in the same boat. Chat text below

Miguel: Thank you for contacting TiVo! My name is Miguel. So that I may better assist you, are you an existing customer?
ME: Yes I am
Miguel: Thank you! In order to verify your identity, can you please provide the following account information?
*name on the account
*address (including city/state/zip)
*phone number
ME: ME
ME: XXXXXXXXX
ME: XXXXXXXXX
ME: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Miguel: Thank you for verifying your information. How may I assist you today?
ME: On my Tivo HD I am getting channel not authorized on many channels. Verizon was out all morning and the cablecards and wiring are all good. I saw on forums that an update 11.3 might have be sent to the series 3's by mistake and was wondering how I can get this fixed
Miguel: I would be happy to assist you. One moment please.
ME: I just redid the guided setup so it is in the process of downloading info now, so I am not able to do anything on the tivo.. just an fyi
Miguel: I do see your HD has updated a pre release Software Update. A second update will be released soon to resolve the issue.
ME: Is there any eta to soon? I have been without service since Saturday
Miguel: At this time I don't have a release date. I do apologize for the inconvenience.
ME: Will there be any kind of compensation or credit given for this mistake/outage?
Miguel: Unfortunately, I am unable to apply any credit to the account.
ME: That is rather disheartening. Thank you for the information. You may want to suggest that a notification be sent to S3/HD users about this issue instead of, like me, having a cable company out at the home all day
Miguel: I definitely understand your frustration and I will forward the information. Thank you.

So I am not very happy with Tivo atm. Considering I have been thinking about buying a Roamio or 2 this makes me reconsider.
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
dlfl
Cranky old novice

An inexcusable response from Tivo support but, unfortunately, more or less par for the course. Support that is insultingly bad for all but the simplest of issues is pretty common for most products, not just Tivo.

and
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't see why people are assuming this was a mistake. It's normal for TiVo to roll out a new version to a small number of units first, to shake out any bugs.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Please Call Customer Support

If your TiVo Series3 received the 11.3 software update, please call our customer support line at 1-877-367-8486.

If you run into any difficulty getting this issue resolved, please email me at margret@tivo.com with the subject "Series3 running 11.3" and include your TiVo Service Number.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
thalador

Thank you Margret, I am calling now. Will update the thread when I am off the phone.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #23
thalador

Just spoke to support. They said the same thing, they are aware and no ETA on a fix. I have emailed you my information. Thanks again
Old 02-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
srjtr7

Just called Tivo support again because my 2- Tivo's have been useless since friday....and just got "We are working on it"....no ETA of a fix.

Tivo Series 2
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
jmbach

It would be great if someone with this 11.3 release would snag a backup with WinMFS or DvrBARS so that at some time it could be examined closer.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #26
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If your TiVo Series3 received the 11.3 software update, please call our customer support line at 1-877-367-8486.

If you run into any difficulty getting this issue resolved, please email me at margret@tivo.com with the subject "Series3 running 11.3" and include your TiVo Service Number.

--Margret
So, should those of us in the states expect a working version of anything newer than 11.0m in the foreseeable future?

(or was this just mistaken Australian cross-pollination?)

And if so, can you share what changes it would bring?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #27
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I wonder how many TiVos were affected.
The way TiVoMargret worded her post leads me to believe this might be handled on a case by case basis, as TiVo does have the ability to work with individual TSNs.
The other reason I think this will be case by case is because TiVo knows their track record with updates "breaking" things. If the number of Tivos affected is low enough, it wouldn't make sense to push a "new" update to everyone and risk causing more problems.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #28
thalador

I was contacted yesterday by Jenn from Margrets office. She said that she was working on how to fix this. She is out of the office today but said she would be in touch with me Friday. She mentioned such things as software updates, new box or something else. I will update this after I hear from her tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #29
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

There are no further updates planned for TiVo Series3 boxes. It was a mistake that some people received 11.3.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
jmbach

So sad. Mpeg - 4 would have been nice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk