Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #61
voripteth
User Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The thing that bugged me about that scene is why would the Cornfield Walkers come out of the field and start heading toward the one scientist standing by the truck, when there were four people standing on the road in the other direction, and Glenn and Ford were fighting and making noise?
Clearly the zombies could smell his superior brain.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #62
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
The thing that bugged me about that scene is why would the Cornfield Walkers come out of the field and start heading toward the one scientist standing by the truck, when there were four people standing on the road in the other direction, and Glenn and Ford were fighting and making noise?
I guess because when they came out of the cornfield, they came out ahead of the truck, and mullet boy was the first human they saw? It's plausible.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #63
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
My least favorite parts were when the guys came into the Rick/Carl/Michonne house. I thought that would never end. I agree it was contrived and didn't add anything to the episode. He ended up catching Carl & Michonne as they approached and everybody lived happily ever after - for now. So, what was the point?
For a second I was halfway expecting one of them to be Merle, but then I remembered that couldn't be.

But the point I'm making is that I did keep looking for a point to all that, and like you I never really found one.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #64
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Remember that they have source material that they are following (though not precisely) and that source material was around well before The "I Am Legend" movie came out.
Except "I am Legend" is based on a book of the same name from 1954, and had two other films made based on the original book: The Last Man on Earth (1964) and The Omega Man (1971).

The novel was also the inspiration behind the 1968 film Night of the Living Dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #65
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

BTW, did we all note that the zombies were attracted by the movement of that deflated mylar balloon that was flapping around in the wind on top of that stop sign? Guess that answered the question of if they are or are not attracted by movement.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #66
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
Clearly the zombies could smell his superior brain.
LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #67
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Except "I am Legend" is based on a book of the same name from 1954, and had two other films made based on the original book: The Last Man on Earth (1964) and The Omega Man (1971).

The novel was also the inspiration behind the 1968 film Night of the Living Dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)
Right, but the book (which I have read several times) doesn't have the Sanctuary ending that the movie does. In fact, the movie is so completely different from the book that they really shouldn't even share the same name, since that's about all they have in common.

So that doesn't support your "point" at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #68
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Right, but the book (which I have read several times) doesn't have the Sanctuary ending that the movie does. In fact, the movie is so completely different from the book that they really shouldn't even share the same name, since that's about all they have in common.

So that doesn't support your "point" at all.
Frankly, the entire "sanctuary" thing reminded me of the sanctuary in Logan's Run, which mirrors TWD "sanctuary" plot pretty well (so far). A bunch of runners all out to find this mythical place of salvation.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #69
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Frankly, the entire "sanctuary" thing reminded me of the sanctuary in Logan's Run, which mirrors TWD "sanctuary" plot pretty well (so far). A bunch of runners all out to find this mythical place of salvation.
It is a hackneyed trope, but it's not unreasonable or unrealistic imo. There are bound to be places like that during a ZA.

I'm more worried about the 'lazy' writing in this episode. Hopefully it's just temporary and nothing more than filler to get them all to this sanctuary.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #70
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Right. It's not exactly a new idea, but it's such an obvious one for what people would actually try to do in such a scenario that it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #71
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I will never understand people who claim to love the show, but FFWD through sections, then wonder how they missed critical bits of story. ??
In my case, it was the first time I ever FFWD through any of this show. But some of the stuff in this episode was just boring. I realized that I missed one bit and went back to catch it. Other than that, all I missed (not) was the long, boring bit with the guys infiltrating the house. Didn't even miss anything there, since I just did FF1. It was long enough watching it that way, I have to say.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #72
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
btw...have we seen a baby walker yet? I thought for sure we were going to get one last night!
As I mentioned in the previous WD thread -- there is no such thing as a baby walker....only a toddler walker....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #73
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
What were Rick's other options?
That's not my point -- my point is the ridiculous plot line of someone hiding under a bed and not being discovered. That would be among the first places I would look for a non-walker if I was searching a house....totally "unrealistic" (and I understand we're talking about a ZA here)

XL4
Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #74
DeDondeEs

OK so some goober with a mullet knows what started this all which supposedly gives him the key to solving his whole thing. But it is classified information. Why would a solution to this problem be classified? Wouldn't you want to tell as many people as possible?

Well since he is the only one who knows, we can pretty much figure out what is going to happen to him relatively soon.

Last edited by DeDondeEs : 02-24-2014 at 02:34 PM.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #75
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
BTW, did we all note that the zombies were attracted by the movement of that deflated mylar balloon that was flapping around in the wind on top of that stop sign? Guess that answered the question of if they are or are not attracted by movement.
Yeah...interesting that they have pointed that out in 2 back to back episodes. Boy...that would sure making setting up a safety zone or perimeter a lot easier. All you'd need is some sort of speaker/noise to lure them somewhere else.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #76
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
OK so some goober with a mullet knows what started this all which supposedly gives him the key to solving his whole thing. But it is classified information. Why would a solution to this problem be classified? Wouldn't you want to tell as many people as possible?

Well since he is the only one who knows, we can pretty much figure out what is going to happen to him relatively soon.
Yeah....classified to who? Also...just because you know what started/caused something doesn't mean you would know how to fix it. If he is the only one in that group that knows the "secret" then that is just DUMB.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #77
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

Other than that I liked this ep...definitely the reveal that, apparently, someone knows how to "fix" the ZA....
You mean the reveal that someone THINKS they know...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #78
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
The biggest problem I had with that scene is the fact that a fully automatic weapon doesn't travel side to side when it gets away from you. It will climb on you, thus sending your rounds high.
True.

Quote:
He didn't shoot up the truck on purpose. He clearly had never handled a gun before, especially not a fully automatic one, and it just got away from him as he pulled the trigger.

A "smart" person would not attempt to use an instrument with which he has no familiarity in such a perilous situation. A "smart" person would have taken another tact like grabbing a weapon he could use and/or run towards those who could use that weapon. So far, mullet-head has only demonstrated that he is smarter than Abraham by fooling him into believing he is "smart".
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #79
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

They did do a good job of introducing Abraham, Eugene, & Rosita. I threw this together this morning to show someone.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #80
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
...A "smart" person would not attempt to use an instrument with which he has no familiarity in such a perilous situation. A "smart" person would have taken another tact like grabbing a weapon he could use and/or run towards those who could use that weapon...
Easy for YOU to say when you're not facing a handful of zombies coming at you...

XL4
Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #81
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
The biggest problem I had with that scene is the fact that a fully automatic weapon doesn't travel side to side when it gets away from you. It will climb on you, thus sending your rounds high.
Yeah, this pretty much describes most experiences I've seen with someone firing a machine gun not knowing what they are doing: the treetops got trimmed.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #82
Beryl

Quote:
Easy for YOU to say when you're not facing a handful of zombies coming at you...

Good point but I wouldn't do something stupid and then state that I'm smarter than someone else. I'd be too embarrassed.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #83
jeepair

Quote:
That's not my point -- my point is the ridiculous plot line of someone hiding under a bed and not being discovered. That would be among the first places I would look for a non-walker if I was searching a house....totally "unrealistic" (and I understand we're talking about a ZA here)
How long since the outbreak started? This could be house number 20,000 they have occupied and they stopped checking under beds at house 5,000.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #84
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

My first thought was that Eugene shot up the truck on purpose because he really didn't want to go to DC.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #85
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Gotta give the producers credit for not having the truck go up in a giant ball of fire when the fuel tank was shot.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #86
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

1. Glenn should have shot the scientist in the head the moment he uttered the words "it's classified".

2. Glenn should have also mentioned that the CDC didn't know the cure, so why would he (Glenn) believe him?

seriously...it's the middle of zombie world and someone says "it's classified"?!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #87
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:

Just more wax on the skis.
Unless he had the gun laid on it's side trying to figure out how to work it, find a safety, load a magazine, etc.

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #88
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Love how Michael Cudlitz character is the MAN, till Glenn comes along and cuts him off at the cojones!

That house has the best sound proofing EVER! My wife watched the scene where Rick fights the guy on the toilet and asked "why was the lid down?".

As for the search for sanctuary? What else are you going to do with a show like this? Wandering around ending zombies will get boring quick, you need some hope on the horizon...which will fail miserably again and again till the show either wraps up or is canceled.

Somewhat on topic fun read if you haven't already seen it-
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #89
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
My wife watched the scene where Rick fights the guy on the toilet and asked "why was the lid down?".
Combat jack?
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #90
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Somewhat on topic fun read if you haven't already seen it-
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html
Very good points. Maybe some of those are why this is set in Georgia.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote