TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
KevinG

Spontaneous Reboot on Roamio Pro

So, last night, my 3 month old pro had its first hiccup.

A spontaneous reboot while watching a show (Amazing Race) while it was still recording that (I was about half an hour behind real time) and at least one other show.

The show paused, and then started again after about 2 seconds, and then the whole thing rebooted.

Interestingly enough, unlike all of my previous TiVos, when it was finished rebooting, it *didn't* continue to record the shows. Is that new behavior known? (Or, am I wrong, and none of them do that?)

Anyway, I'll have to keep my eye out to see if this is the beginning of a hard drive failure, or something else...
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Premieres definitely resumed recording shows, chopped into a separate piece.

Sounds like your philosophy is similar to mine: My rule of thumb these days with any device, one crash/reboot is not a cause for concern. Its when it reoccurs....
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
KevinG

Yep, we'll see how it behaves over the next week or so. It is interesting that it didn't record the rest of the shows though...
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Gary-B

Amazing Race started late because of golf or something. Maybe you were watching the buffer and when it reboot, the show was suppose to be over and didn't resume recording.
Just a guess.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
KevinG

That's certainly true, and a good guess... Except it wasn't the case.

After the reboot, I manually recorded the end of Amazing Race (and ended up with a 1 minute show), and then I had to record The Mentalist to get the rest of the Amazing Race. So, the reboot finished before the show had ended (but maybe just barely so it didn't bother to try to record the rest? That seems unlikely.)

Does anyone have evidence that the Roamios *do* try to re-start recordings that were in progress when they rebooted?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
AndyCapper

I've had my Roamio for several months and in the last couple of weeks or so I've had several reboots, three in one night! One while I was doing some 'aggressive' ffwd, rwd, pause, play with the remote, but the last one that evening was while the remote wasn't in my hand while watching live TV. Each time its happened while a recording was on, its automatically started recording again. I've not yet contacted TiVo but my guess is that I'll need a replacement unit. Anyone have a similar experience?
AndyCapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
KevinG

Thanks for that report...so mine was probably not re-started because it was almost over (and it didn't pay attention to the fact that I tell it to record Amazing Race for an extra hour?)

But, yes, it sounds like your hard drive is probably failing.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Problem likely TiVo service, not hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapper View Post
the last couple of weeks or so I've had several reboots, three in one night
I'm convinced the problem is being caused by bad source data being delivered by TiVo's servers starting around February 10th. I donít have a Roamio but both of my Premiere XL4's have the same glitch, especially the XL4 that connects to TiVo's servers multiple times per day to download podcasts I subscribe to.

I ran a little experiment and unplugged the network cable on my XL4 for 72 hours. The DVR was stable the entire time -- it did not spontaneously crash and reboot even once.

After the experiment, I power cycled my network router, dusted out the DVR case, reseated the CableCARD, manually rebooted the XL4, and plugged in the ethernet cable so everything was fresh. Within 24 hours after the XL4 connected to the TiVo service to update the guide information and download all the podcasts I missed, it spontaneously crashed and rebooted.

If you call TiVo customer service at 877-367-8486 (ext. 1 for technical support then ext. 4 for other) to report the problem, make sure you don't let them waste your time trying to say your DVR diagnostics show poor performance caused by your cable provider's signal. There's been too many reports here on TCF of the same problem occurring suddenly around February 10th, so it has to be bad programming on TiVo's end.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10011663
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapper View Post
I've had my Roamio for several months and in the last couple of weeks or so I've had several reboots, three in one night! One while I was doing some 'aggressive' ffwd, rwd, pause, play with the remote, but the last one that evening was while the remote wasn't in my hand while watching live TV. Each time its happened while a recording was on, its automatically started recording again. I've not yet contacted TiVo but my guess is that I'll need a replacement unit. Anyone have a similar experience?
Had same problem on my Roamio Pro. One night had reboot while watching a recorded show, then two hours later while the Tivo was recording two shows. Tivo told me hard drive was dying on me, they replaced the unit. Knock on wood, no reboots in last two weeks.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I had a spontaneous reboot of my Pro in early January while setting up and tweaking a bunch of season passes/wishlists. It did resume recording when it restarted though and hasn't happened since.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #11
Tivohud

Did anyone else have a random reboot tonight around 8:40 p.m. EDT? I experienced a couple random reboots a week or so after setting up my Romio, but had not had any others in the last month until tonight.
Tivohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivohud View Post
Did anyone else have a random reboot tonight around 8:40 p.m. EDT? I experienced a couple random reboots a week or so after setting up my Romio, but had not had any others in the last month until tonight.
No, my last was yesterday...

A few threads exist on it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515358

and in the Premiere forum:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485145

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485410
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote