TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
RusRus

WinMFS Swap File Size???

I have a 1tb HDD in my Tivo HD DVR now. I’m going to use WinMFS to clone it to a new 1tb HDD that I’ll keep as a backup HDD.

My question, concern:

I’ve read that I should change the swap partition size from the default size of 127mb to half the size of my new HDD but in mb; not gb. That would be 500mb.

I’ve also read that I should leave the 127mb swap size alone.

I’m confused. What should I do??? And please justify your answer to change or not to change.

Thanks.

Last edited by RusRus : 02-24-2014 at 03:25 PM.
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
I have a 1tb HDD in my Tivo HD DVR now. Iím going to use WinMFS to clone it to a new 1tb HDD that Iíll keep as a backup HDD.

My question, concern:

Iíve read that I should change the swap partition size from the default size of 128mb to half the size of my new HDD but in mb; not gb. That would be 500mb.

Iíve also read that I should leave the 128mb swap size alone.

Iím confused. What should I do??? And please justify your answer to change or not to change.

Thanks.
What size is the swap partition on the drive you intend to copy?

Are you planning to copy the shows currently on the first drive, or just the TiVo software and the settings?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What size is the swap partition on the drive you intend to copy?

Are you planning to copy the shows currently on the first drive, or just the TiVo software and the settings?
It was cloned from the original 160gb HDD so I'd say 127mb. I plan on a full copy of all shows, etc.

Why, does this make a difference in the new swap partition? Just trying to learn.

Last edited by RusRus : 02-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
It was cloned from the original 160gb HDD so I'd say 127mb. I plan on a full copy of all shows, etc.

Why, does this make a difference in the new swap partition? Just trying to learn.
Well, if you're going from a 1TB source to a 1TB target, then you can just "Xerox" it with something does a byte for byte copy (assuming the target's LBA number is at least as large as the source's--they're probably identical) and the swap partition and all the others will be the same size as they are now.

If you're going from a 1TB to something larger, then you can copy everything and increase the swap size if you want to, using either WinMFS or the MFS Live cd.

If you want to copy everything to the same size drive *and* increase the swap size, then WinMFS *might* let you get away with it.

A stock 160GB TCD652160 drive comes with 2 MFS pairs in addition to the other partitions.

When you copy one of those to a larger drive and expand, the expansion is done by creating a 3rd MFS pair in the extra space.

WinMFS will let you take an expanded drive like that and copy to an even larger drive and expand by enlarging the MFS Media partition that is part of the 3rd MFS pair.

I don't know if it will or can shrink that partition or not, which it would have to do in order to accommodate a larger swap partition on the same size drive.

But you can give it a try.

The whole "1MB of swap for every 1GB of drive" rule of thumb came from the early days of TiVo drive "embiggening", about the same time as the "breaking the 137GB drive size barrier" was being accomplished.

The idea was the bigger the drive, the more swap you needed if the TiVo ran into trouble and had to straighten things out and needed to move some stuff around temporarily to do so.

With a bigger than stock drive and the stock size swap partition, it could wind up in a "green screen of death" that it couldn't get out of because it didn't have enough swap space to make the necessary repairs.

This was all basically on the Series 1 Tivos, some of which came from the factory with only a 64MB swap partition, but that was back when a 30Gb drive was one of the larger ones offered.

Since the S2s, I'm pretty sure that they've all come with a 128MB swap, and supposedly that's been enough, even for models like the TCD658000, which come stock with a 1TB drive.

I personally still follow that rule of thumb because I figure it's cheap insurance--a 1000MB or 1GB swap is the equivalent of approximately 15 minutes of best quality analog cable.

(others have upgraded S3 platform units to 2TB drives and left the swap partition the original size and not reported a problem)

But then I've done that when going to a bigger drive.

In your case I'd look at the source drive with

mfsinfo

in WinMFS, or

mfsinfo

and

pdisk

on the MFS Live cd v1.4 to see what size swap you have on the source drive and if there's any unused space which would be labeled as an Apple Free Partition (in the Apple Partition Map scheme, unpartitioned space is a partition, and the map itself is also a partition--as good an example of Apple's "think different" slogan as any), just to know in advance what you'll be dealing with.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, if you're going from a 1TB source to a 1TB target, then you can just "Xerox" it with something does a byte for byte copy (assuming the target's LBA number is at least as large as the source's--they're probably identical) and the swap partition and all the others will be the same size as they are now.

If you're going from a 1TB to something larger, then you can copy everything and increase the swap size if you want to, using either WinMFS or the MFS Live cd.

If you want to copy everything to the same size drive *and* increase the swap size, then WinMFS *might* let you get away with it.

A stock 160GB TCD652160 drive comes with 2 MFS pairs in addition to the other partitions.

When you copy one of those to a larger drive and expand, the expansion is done by creating a 3rd MFS pair in the extra space.

WinMFS will let you take an expanded drive like that and copy to an even larger drive and expand by enlarging the MFS Media partition that is part of the 3rd MFS pair.

I don't know if it will or can shrink that partition or not, which it would have to do in order to accommodate a larger swap partition on the same size drive.

But you can give it a try.

The whole "1MB of swap for every 1GB of drive" rule of thumb came from the early days of TiVo drive "embiggening", about the same time as the "breaking the 137GB drive size barrier" was being accomplished.

The idea was the bigger the drive, the more swap you needed if the TiVo ran into trouble and had to straighten things out and needed to move some stuff around temporarily to do so.

With a bigger than stock drive and the stock size swap partition, it could wind up in a "green screen of death" that it couldn't get out of because it didn't have enough swap space to make the necessary repairs.

This was all basically on the Series 1 Tivos, some of which came from the factory with only a 64MB swap partition, but that was back when a 30Gb drive was one of the larger ones offered.

Since the S2s, I'm pretty sure that they've all come with a 128MB swap, and supposedly that's been enough, even for models like the TCD658000, which come stock with a 1TB drive.

I personally still follow that rule of thumb because I figure it's cheap insurance--a 1000MB or 1GB swap is the equivalent of approximately 15 minutes of best quality analog cable.

(others have upgraded S3 platform units to 2TB drives and left the swap partition the original size and not reported a problem)

But then I've done that when going to a bigger drive.

In your case I'd look at the source drive with

mfsinfo

in WinMFS, or

mfsinfo

and

pdisk

on the MFS Live cd v1.4 to see what size swap you have on the source drive and if there's any unused space which would be labeled as an Apple Free Partition (in the Apple Partition Map scheme, unpartitioned space is a partition, and the map itself is also a partition--as good an example of Apple's "think different" slogan as any), just to know in advance what you'll be dealing with.
Thanks. I feel secure in using whatever swap size is on the source drive on my new drive.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
marspinball

How do you increase the swap partition using WinMFS?

I have a TIVO HD with a 2TB HD which was made using the original drive with JMFS and supersized with WinMFS. It has had the S03 issue for about a year. I would like to rewrite the 2TB using the original backup drive but this time I would like to enlarge the swap partition.
marspinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspinball View Post
How do you increase the swap partition using WinMFS?

I have a TIVO HD with a 2TB HD which was made using the original drive with JMFS and supersized with WinMFS. It has had the S03 issue for about a year. I would like to rewrite the 2TB using the original backup drive but this time I would like to enlarge the swap partition.

It's no longer necessary to use jmfs to use 2TB drives on any of the Series 3 platform models, as long as the TiVo is running version 11.0h or later of the TiVo software/operating system.

And with all due respect to comer, who wrote jmfs for Premiere owners, where it's still a valued resource, it's probably better to not bother with it for S3 usage and just stick with WinMFS.

So if the original is running "h" or "k" or "m", you're good to go.

You can look at the System Information page in the menus to find out which version you currently have on that original drive.

The S03 error is probably not related to the size of your swap partition, as it seems to most often be triggered by Tuning Adapters used to facilitate receiving Switched Digital Video not allowing the TiVo to complete Garbage Collection.

People have discovered that they have to use a lamp timer or something to power off the TA for awhile overnight or some other stretch of a few hours when the TiVo isn't going to be recording, so that it's out of the way and the TiVo can complete GC.

To get rid of the S03:

If that 2TB is not already trapped in Guided Setup, try going into Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System, and run Clear program information & To Do list.

Do not run Repeat Guided Setup. Do not run Clear & delete everything.

Both of those will get you stuck in Guided Setup, unable to get out.

If that's where you are already, you'll probably have to overwrite the drive with an new image and start from scratch.

To use WinMFS to overwrite the 2TB from the original drive.

Hook up both drives to the PC running Windows where you have

winmfs.exe

installed.

Boot into Windows and start WinMFS.

Make sure you're running it as admin or with admin privileges.

Click on File, Select Drive, and select the original drive.

Then, just to be cautious, go back to File, and click on

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks alright with the original drive.

Then, after closing that, you should be able to click on

mfscopy

It'll bring up a box that shows the original is selected to be the source, and you can select the 2TB to be the target.

It should also offer a place where you can put in a number for the swap partition size.

If you want to make sure you've got a big enough one, put the number 1024 into that box--that'll amount to only about the equivalent of 15 minutes of Best Quality analog cable, and you can probably recover that much and more by supersizing later.

If there's an option to use or not use the "optimized" partition layout down there under the swap size thingie (or right above it, it's been awhile since I've seen it), you want to read the wording carefully to make sure that you do use the optimized layout, and that you don't use the non-optimized layout. That's a Series 1 thing, so it may or may not even appear, but I have seen it when using WinMFS for newer units, so if it's there, be sure to get it right.

Then click on "Okay" or "Start" or whatever's on that screen that starts the process, and sit back and wait (or better yet, spend the time checking the opened up TiVo's power supply for any sign of bulging or leaking capacitors, as there's a good chance of that with all the S2 and S3 models).

The "progress screen" may appear to freeze up. Just leave it alone and eventually it will finish.

When it does finish, it'll say something about extra space on the target drive and ask if you want to expand.

Tell it NO.

Do not expand at this time. It may or may not work.

Then go back to File, and Select Drive, and this time select the 2TB.

Then check it with

mfsinfo

and see if everything looks okay.

The partition map should show a very large Apple Free Partition at the end of the drive.

If all looks well, close out

mfsinfo

At that point you can poke around up top until you find

supersize

and do that first, or you could go back to File and click on

mfsadd

to expand and turn that Apple Free partition into useable space in the form of a 3rd MFS pair. When you do, it'll point out that you're trying to make a partition bigger than 1.2TB, tell it to go ahead and do it and not limit the partition size.

I don't think it matters if you expand first or supersize first, just don't try to expand as part of the original copying procedure, not even as the last part of it.

You have to exit the copy stuff when it finishes and go select the target drive instead of the source drive and only then do the expansion.

But it's a good idea to check the target drive with

mfsinfo

first.

You can even do the copy, then check the drive after selecting it, and then shut things down and put it (the target drive) in the TiVo and test it there and then do the expansion later after you feel sure the drive is working in the TiVo okay, and the supersizing you can do anytime.