TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #481
jmbach

If you are using the image from ggeiseke, download it again. Run DvrBARS as an administrator. How is the drive being hooked up to the computer you are running DvrBARS on. It appears it is not booting the OS at all. If the drive is being written correctly, then check the connections on the motherboard. Make sure the SATA cable is firmly attached to the motherboard as well as the power connectors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #482
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
it is all hooked up properly. I've downloaded the image multiple times now, and done both quick restore and full and neither have worked.
ozzy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #483
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1983 View Post
it is all hooked up properly. I've downloaded the image multiple times now, and done both quick restore and full and neither have worked.
Give Wdidle3.exe a try. I had to use it when I tried upgrading a Series 2 when it would not boot.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #484
jmbach

Try wdidle3 like ThAbtO suggested. How comfortable are you to send me the first 18 blocks of the drive you wrote the image on. I would like to see if the APM and block 0 are written correctly
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #485
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Give Wdidle3.exe a try. I had to use it when I tried upgrading a Series 2 when it would not boot.
Wdidle3.exe only fixes a soft boot hang in some TiVo models, a hard boot works all the time without setting Wdidle3.exe.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #486
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have tried wdidle3. I'm sorry did not mention that. I believe it is a problem with the image file because both times I downloaded it I had troubles with it downloading. So it may be it is not the file I need or it is not right after I extract it. I'm just wondering if there is another image out there could try. Oh, and I have no idea how to send you that drive info. But thanks for all the help.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #487
jmbach

What kind of trouble downloading. Have you tried using a different browser

Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #488
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
I used both IE and Chrome to download it.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #489
jmbach

What trouble did you run into downloading
Old 02-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #490
jmbach

Download wd diagnostic for windows and run a few tests if it passes, then have it write some zeroes for the first several blocks of the drive. Then do a quick restore with DvrBARS and try booting in the TiVo again. In the meantime I'll see if I can get another file to you. Might be tomorrow if I don't have one handy already.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #491
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I have tried wdidle3. I'm sorry did not mention that. I believe it is a problem with the image file because both times I downloaded it I had troubles with it downloading. So it may be it is not the file I need or it is not right after I extract it. I'm just wondering if there is another image out there could try. Oh, and I have no idea how to send you that drive info. But thanks for all the help.
What is the exact model of the drive you are trying to use?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #492
ggieseke

That 748 image has been used successfully about 50 times. Here are the MD5 hashes for the zip file and the VHD file once you extract it.

TCD748000.zip 392401741E1865E15DFEF8B26BA6034F
TCD748000.vhd 8E7F416BB96BCA12FC2E017323D1A36E

If you don't have a way to check MD5 hashes you can download my command-line utility at http://goo.gl/9tWxBX.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #493
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
The model HD I have is a WD20EZRX. I am unsure how to use MD5 and what to do with it on those files. What diagnostic tool should I use? I mean this is happening with multiple drives and since this one is brand new I can't see what could be wrong with it. Let me know which one to use and I can check it.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #494
jmbach

The MD5 is a way of making sure you have downloaded the file correctly without errors. This would be important since you stated you had troubles downloading the files. Could you describe your setup. Kind of computer you are using, operating system, how is the drive connected to the computer, if you are using an external dock what brand is it. You might consider using a different computer if you have one. As much detail as you can give us will help us diagnose the problem
Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #495
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-core 2.30 GHz w/6 GB Ram running windows 7 64 bit. It has an ASUS motherboard and is about 4 years old (I built it from a tiger direct barebones kit).

The problem I had downloading was that it was stopping constantly and half a dozen times it had to be restarted because the rate dropped to 0 bits/sec and would not restart. I've also noticed someone earlier on this thread got an error message about the A drive when opening DvrBARS and that is a message I'm getting as well. However I just hit the continue option and was able to start the program as it is described in the how-to-use portion of this thread. I also always run in as administrator.

If someone could give me a simple description of how to use the MD5 that would be helpful as I've never heard of it.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #496
ggieseke

Open a command prompt (Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt). Change the current directory to the directory where you downloaded the MD5 program with the CD command. It will probably be something like "CD C:\Users\Ozzy\Downloads"

Run "MD5 TCD748000.zip" to check the zip file or "MD5 TCD748000.vhd" to check the extracted VHD file. The results that it prints out should match the vaules I posted earlier. If those files aren't in the same directory as MD5.exe you will have to use the full path to the file you're checking instead of just the file name.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #497
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ok, I checked both files and they match your numbers correctly. Perhaps this has to do with the startup error I mentioned when starting DvrBARS? Am I connecting the drive incorrectly or something when I start the computer?

I start the computer with the drive I want to use in my Tivo connected, am I supposed to only connect it once windows has started? This A drive error may be the only factor left that is causing issue (since we now know my download of your image is correct).

Again thanks for your help troubleshooting this, I know you don't have to, but before I joined this forum and began talking to all of you I was pretty lost.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #498
ggieseke

It shouldn't matter if the drive is connected before or after starting Windows. It just has to be connected before running DvrBARS because it only scans the available drives once at startup.

The A: drive error doesn't matter as long as you can get past it. There's probably a BIOS setting that's providing floppy disk support or emulation, but once again if DvrBARS can see the WD20EZRX and write to it you should be good to go.

I'm starting to think that the TiVo itself or possibly the SATA cable in it is bad. Another possible point of failure is the cabling on the PC. One way to test the drive and the PC is to try to run a Truncated backup of it after you do the restore. If DvrBARS can see it and read all of the structures necessary to run in the Truncated or Modified Full backup mode it would validate the drive. Since we now know that the image is good that would only leave something in the TiVo itself.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #499
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok, I checked both files and they match your numbers correctly. Perhaps this has to do with the startup error I mentioned when starting DvrBARS? Am I connecting the drive incorrectly or something when I start the computer?

I start the computer with the drive I want to use in my Tivo connected, am I supposed to only connect it once windows has started? This A drive error may be the only factor left that is causing issue (since we now know my download of your image is correct).

Again thanks for your help troubleshooting this, I know you don't have to, but before I joined this forum and began talking to all of you I was pretty lost.
You might want to check all of the connections on the TiVo - motherboard, power supply, etc. Do you know if the drive is actually spinning up when in the TiVo?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #500
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnig1 View Post
FYI: it does work for the directivo THR22-100.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about that device.

Do you like it?

Is it reliable?

Will it do media transfers to other devices?

Is there any kind of "whole house server" device available?

How much extra is the TiVo subscription part?

I am nearing the end of my rope with Time Warner, TA boxes, no on-demand, no PPV, and rising cablecard rental rates.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #501
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ok, I agree it is more likely on the Tivo side now. I am able to do a Truncated backup with this drive and that makes me feel all my computer connections are correct and the cables are fine.

I am sure it's spinning up in the Tivo because I can hear it, but I'm not sure if the SATA cable is good. Does anyone know how to go about replacing Tivo internal cables?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #502
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah I just double checked the drive in the Tivo, it is definitely getting power. That means there must be something wrong with the SATA connection if there is an internal problem with the Tivo.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #503
ggieseke

Troubleshooting a Premiere is a bi*ch because the factory drive connection has the power and SATA molded into one plug. Unless you want to try to cut the factory connector into two pieces (which I don't recommend), you can use any standard SATA cable for the data connection. You'll have to find some other way to power up the drive - maybe from your PC?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #504
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm still not entirely sure about the cables though. Why when I plugged in the old (and essentially dead) drive did I get a locked welcome screen (would sit for hours locked on the welcome screen), but when I did a restore on it with the same image (just messing around to see what would happen) it went into the same boot loop as the new drive? This to me says the power and SATA are connecting from the Tivo but the information it is getting from the new image is causing the boot loop, but you guys know way more about this than I do. It's just a thought as I have no way of rewiring this at this point, but it did seem odd to me that before the old drive was changed (just as it was when I determined I needed to change it) it would stay on the welcome screen, but after it was restored with this image it did the same boot loop. Something to think about.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #505
jmbach

Give me a sec. I think I have another image you can try. I'll PM you the link.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #506
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh, that'd be great. That would certainly tell me if it's a problem with the image or not.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #507
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about that device.

Do you like it?

Is it reliable?

Will it do media transfers to other devices?

Is there any kind of "whole house server" device available?

How much extra is the TiVo subscription part?

I am nearing the end of my rope with Time Warner, TA boxes, no on-demand, no PPV, and rising cablecard rental rates.
I don't know how everyone else here feels but I love the premiere xl. That is why I'm going to such lengths to try to repair it. I'm not aware of other devices that work with it, such as a "whole house server", but as a media player for a single TV it is superb. I actually don't like it for Netflix, and I use it for Amazon only if I'm not streaming (like downloading for rental). My cable provider is Comcast and once they install the cablecard and pair it to your account properly (it took forever to get this right because Comcast techs don't know anything about TiVos) it works well with their service and using xfinity on-demand works very well through this Tivo.

As far as cost when I originally bought it I paid something like $800 for it and for lifetime service, however the lifetime service I believe was $500. So now that you can get a new one for $150 (and some show as used for less than $80 on Amazon) then the cost with lifetime should be lower.

Media transfers? I know you can transfer recorded shows to your computer using TiVo's software (TiVo Desktop), and I think you can stream sound and video files on your home network but I don't do that. Overall it serves the purpose of a DVR quite well.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #508
lpwcomp

Quote:
I don't know how everyone else here feels but I love the premiere xl. That is why I'm going to such lengths to try to repair it. I'm not aware of other devices that work with it, such as a "whole house server", but as a media player for a single TV it is superb. I actually don't like it for Netflix, and I use it for Amazon only if I'm not streaming (like downloading for rental). My cable provider is Comcast and once they install the cablecard and pair it to your account properly (it took forever to get this right because Comcast techs don't know anything about TiVos) it works well with their service and using xfinity on-demand works very well through this Tivo.

As far as cost when I originally bought it I paid something like $800 for it and for lifetime service, however the lifetime service I believe was $500. So now that you can get a new one for $150 (and some show as used for less than $80 on Amazon) then the cost with lifetime should be lower.

Media transfers? I know you can transfer recorded shows to your computer using TiVo's software (TiVo Desktop), and I think you can stream sound and video files on your home network but I don't do that. Overall it serves the purpose of a DVR quite well.
He was asking about the THR22-100 since he is thinking about switching to DirecTV. A Premiere would be useless since no Series 3 or later standalone TiVo will work with Satellite TV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #509
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
He was asking about the THR22-100 since he is thinking about switching to DirecTV. A Premiere would be useless since no Series 3 or later standalone TiVo will work with Satellite TV.
My mistake. I'm new to forums in general and I didn't notice the little quote referring to that post. Well I still stand by what I said for anyone considering the Premiere XL
Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #510
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Does anyone know how to clear any HPA restrictions on a drive from windows or maybe DOS prompt? Or at least check to see if it's been enabled and has made the visible drive smaller? I tried jmfs and it threw a kernel error using the hdparm -N method. My drive is 2TB and jmbach has sent me an image of a 2TB drive and DvrBARS says my 2TB drive is too small for the restore. jmbach seems to think that my BIOS have enabled an HPA change on the drive and made it appear smaller. However, my BIOS has no HPA tools or setting at all. In DvrBARS the drive shows up as 1.82TB (I know Windows counts using their stupid 1024 bytes = 1kB or 1 kiB and 1024 kiB = 1MiB method so I know why it isn't a full 2TB), however in jmfs it is listed as 2000.3 GB.

Any ideas? This has me going crazy. I've been trying to repair this TiVo for nearly 2 weeks now (my wife and I are both going nuts with only Netflix and DVDs to watch and we can't afford to even just get a Comcast DVR to hold us over) and I know you guys on this forum have way more knowledge about TiVos than I do. I feel if I could just get a proper image to load on my drive the TiVo would function again (since all of it's troubles were very obviously HD related i.e. freezing in the middle of shows, constant reboots, and slow responses) but it's driving me crazy trying to get that to happen. I'm sure most of you know the feeling. Thank you all again for your help.

Last edited by ozzy1983 : 02-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.