TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

'Heroes' is coming back

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...eborn/5745541/

Quote:
NBC's sci-fi series Heroes is being revived as a 13-episode limited series, with creator Tim Kring back at the helm but a new cast of characters and a self-contained storyline that's "shrouded in secrecy."

The series, which aired from 2006-2010, will return in 2015 as Heroes Reborn

Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

I will punch my tv is Sylar is in this reboot.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
pahunt

I usually don't like to prejudge things but I cannot see a way that this could be any good. They ran out of decent ideas before the end of season 1 and it was downhill rapidly from then on. Everyone blamed the writers strike in season 2 for screwing it up but for me it was dead long before that happened.

I understand that networks think they're tapping into guaranteed ratings when they revive an old show but why not pick a decent show that was cancelled too early rather than one that ran out of steam long before it finished. Arrested Development (different network, I know) being revived by Netflix while NBC are reviving Heroes illustrates to me, that none of the networks have a clue.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Not interested....they did WAY too much damage the first time around for them to gain my trust to watch this...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
unitron

I've decided that TV shows shouldn't be allowed to have "seasons" anymore, because when they go downhill, it always seems to happen during the changeover, and they come back for that next season not as good as they were in the previous one.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
mooseAndSquirrel

Is there anyone who enjoyed Heroes through the end? I loved the first season and I think I only made it through half of season 2 before I bailed. And I'm not good about quitting shows. 24 and Weeds are examples of shows I watched to the bitter end.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There's a delightfully snarky story about this on Bleeding Cool.

For context, "Heroes Reborn" was a relaunch of Marvel's main characters (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and the Fantastic Four, I believe) by the way-cool but artistically challenged Image Comics crew back in the 90s. It is remembered with much disdain. And Jeph Loeb, who was one of the Heroes Reborn writers, was also one of the driving forces behind the Heroes TV show. He is now in charge of television development for Marvel (which means he's responsible for SHIELD, not The Avengers).
Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Wow, you know they are out of new ideas when they need to reboot even the semi successful series.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
Is there anyone who enjoyed Heroes through the end? I loved the first season and I think I only made it through half of season 2 before I bailed. And I'm not good about quitting shows. 24 and Weeds are examples of shows I watched to the bitter end.
Pretty much the same here. The first season was fantastic and we got a lot of Hayden Panettiere love. Then it went down the toilet. Still, "save the cheerleader, save the world".

Yeah, I also stuck out with Weeds until the truly bitter end. I had to force myself to watch the last couple of seasons.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I'd be happier with a Journeyman reboot. I still miss that show.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

There's a valid reason why the show was canceled in the first place. There is absolutely no reason to bring it back.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
hummingbird_206

Maybe the reboot will start where Season 2 should have started. I seem to remember reading that the main characters were supposed to die at the end of Season 1, but that the network intervened and that's why everything went wonky after that. The network didn't want to risk new characters/actors when they had such popular folks from Season 1. I loved Season 1 and if Season 2 had gone as planned with all new characters, then I would like to see how that would have gone.

I'll definitely check out the reboot, but will be faster to bail if it's as bad as Season 2-end that we got before.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my recollection: Season 1 of Heroes was fantastic. It did very well ratings wise. But the plan the writers had for Season 2 was that none of the original cast was coming back. The network suits got involved, and starting insisting on plot lines and how characters acted based upon their market surveys. What resulted was Season 2. I'd be interested if this reboot continued where the original writers intended.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
FWIW the DVDs are available from the UK< and while you can't play them in a regular DVD or BD player, you can rip them and convert them to region free, they have some great extras.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my recollection: Season 1 of Heroes was fantastic. It did very well ratings wise. But the plan the writers had for Season 2 was that none of the original cast was coming back. The network suits got involved, and starting insisting on plot lines and how characters acted based upon their market surveys. What resulted was Season 2. I'd be interested if this reboot continued where the original writers intended.
Yep, pretty much it, S1 did better than they expected, and then the suits got involved and S2 and after were a fiasco.

The really sad part is that even in S1 they were having continuity issues from playing either without a bible, or with a sloppy continuity person; several were actually very embarrassing they would film a scene then the next week refer back to it and the scene would be different.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
BrettStah

Quote:
What the heck was I doing in 2007 that caused me to miss that show? Seems right up my alley. The wikipedia description makes it sound like Quantum Leap a bit, which I liked a lot.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Beryl

Quote:

Me too. Too bad more people didn't watch.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
Is there anyone who enjoyed Heroes through the end?
I was always happy (and somewhat surprised) to see it come back, and sad when it did not. I still liked the characters, and had hope they would turn it around. It just kept getting worse though.

Switching to an alternate set of characters is a reasonable idea, so long as they don't try to tie it to plot lines from the original series. There's too much baggage there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Same here, and Kevin McKidd was one of my favorite actors, especially in Rome.

While on the wish list of TV canceled before it's time, I'll add "Now and Again"
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Peter000

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
FWIW the DVDs are available from the UK< and while you can't play them in a regular DVD or BD player, you can rip them and convert them to region free, they have some great extras.
Journeyman is also available to stream on Hulu.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Wow, you know they are out of new ideas when they need to reboot even the semi successful series.
That's being kind....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
JYoung
Series 3

"Heroes is coming back!"

Why?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
"Heroes is coming back!" Why?
Love the skepticism. But why not. It has name recognition and if they don't make the mistake the network forced on them for season 2, it can work just fine.

I will wait and see rather than decide it is bad before I even see it.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Journeyman is also available to stream on Hulu.
THANK YOU!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #24
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Maybe the reboot will start where Season 2 should have started. I seem to remember reading that the main characters were supposed to die at the end of Season 1, but that the network intervened and that's why everything went wonky after that. The network didn't want to risk new characters/actors when they had such popular folks from Season 1. I loved Season 1 and if Season 2 had gone as planned with all new characters, then I would like to see how that would have gone.

I'll definitely check out the reboot, but will be faster to bail if it's as bad as Season 2-end that we got before.
This is what I think is happening... or at least what I HOPE is happening, because it's impossible to me that they would be bringing back any of the original cast or focusing on any of the stories from the original run. Like most people say, season 1 was great and showed a ton of promise, but everything after that was a derailing train, which culminated in a full blow train wreck known as season 4 (lol).

If they bring it back for a mini-series, my guess is that they'll do what they wanted to do originally - more of an anthology with different people/stories. And assuming they learned some lessons about pacing, continuity, and plotting, it could work. But it will have to be good to erase the memories of most of the original run.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #25
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Love the skepticism. But why not. It has name recognition and if they don't make the mistake the network forced on them for season 2, it can work just fine.

I will wait and see rather than decide it is bad before I even see it.
That's not the point.

As other people have already pointed out, Heroes was a series that started as a really good show that a lot of people watched that crashed and burned in Season 2 into a spectacular crapfest that most of those people turned off in disgust.

They're not going to remember the great 21 or 22 episodes at the beginning as much as the horrible stench from the following 55 or 56 episodes that followed.

This move also reeks of desperation on the part on NBC.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
JYoung
Series 3

Alan Sepinwall on the Heroes' mini you never wanted.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #27
sean67854
Why?

Dump Kring for Kripke and I'm in.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #28
pahunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Dump Kring for Kripke and I'm in.
Eric not Barry I assume? Although "Save the cheeweader, save the wowld" could be fun
Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunt View Post
Eric not Barry I assume? Although "Save the cheeweader, save the wowld" could be fun

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #30
Fahtrim

The way I remember it, season 1 finale even sucked.

I "think" the suits made them change the finale so that season 2 could use same characters (and suck) and the rest also......

I see season 1 as great until the finale, then a different show with the same name and same characters started.

ugh, which show will this reboot be........................
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote