TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
deviousdelilah

help with connecting to TiVo service

Hi.
The other day I got a message on my TV saying my programming was going to run out and to connect to TiVo service. I tried and it was unsuccessful.
I called customer service and they said my phone service had probably switched to digital from analog. They told me I could still connect using internet connection. Problem is I don't HAVE internet connection at my home. I just use my phone's internet.
The representative then said I had no other options. That my service would end and that's it.
I called my provider directv and they tried selling me one of their DVRs or a directv / TiVo DVR for $200. I'd prefer to just keep my directv receiver and TiVo receivers separate.
Is it possible? Is there an adapter? Anything? ???
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
deviousdelilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Which TiVo do you have?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
heyted

Do you live in a freedompop coverage area? You can get free or cheap internet service. Be careful and read the fine print.

http://www.freedompop.com/
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
deviousdelilah

I have the series 2 single tuner. Not sure about freedom pop but I will look into it. I'm so upset over this
Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Layluna

Fail to connect - TIVO not answering

I had the same problem this morning but got a completely different reply from TIVO support. They first said my modem had died but when i told them i don't have one they gave me the analog/digital crap but i told them this had not changed. Then they had me do multiple tests then I remembered a short message some weeks ago saying I needed to choose a new access number; that the access number i had was being discontinued in some days & that I had to get a new one. I had to tell the support person this several times and she finally admitted the problem was that they "had consolidated the access numbers and many were discontinued." I did find the message on my TIVO and it was only issued once and that was on Christmas day. The TIVO has worked fine all this time. No further messages giving a deadline date or discontinue date. When I tried to get a new access number today I learned TIVO changed their software so you cannot enter the new number manually. Now you have to click on the "get new numbers" feature and then the call to get new numbers fails. TIVO told me I had call Sony. After wasting 3 hours of my time between TIVO and Sony and being transferred numerous times and made to test everything multiple times Sony knew nothing of the consolidation of access numbers and now tells me the only way to put in a new access number is to go through the guided set up again but that this will permanantly wipe out everything I have recorded. Is this true? I don't want lose these recordings. I do have a wireless Internet modem I use for my computer and i-pad. Is it possible to connect to TIVO in this fashion? I have a series 1, SVR2000 and have always connected via AT&T phone lines. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Layluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Layluna

So, Delilah, I think your problem may be the access number and you may want to do guided set up. Sony wanted to walk me through it but I didn't want to do it until I figured out what do do about my recordings.
Layluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
deviousdelilah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layluna View Post
So, Delilah, I think your problem may be the access number and you may want to do guided set up. Sony wanted to walk me through it but I didn't want to do it until I figured out what do do about my recordings.
This is what I first suspected. I went into settings and jotted down my dial-in number ( if YOU decide to do this jot it down EXACTLY how it is displayed whether there's a 1 first or area code or dashes) then proceeded on and when I looked at the list of numbers for my city my old dial-in number was NOT on the list. I then got worried that if I changed my dial-in number that my old one would then be gone for good so instead of just changing it, I called TiVo customer service.
Yes I have an older box but I love it and use it all the time.

The customer service rep listened then asked gave me the analog/digital spiel. He asked who my phone carrier was then asked my zipcode and put me on hold for a minute.
He then came back and said "yep, your phone is now digital ".
No alternative. He said all phone service carriers would be switching to digital by the end of the year. So now I'm wondering did the rep just straight lie to me? He even offered to transfer me to billing to get a refund for the rest of the year!
Hey why did you have to call Sony?

I just switched my dial-in number and so far it seems to be downloading!
It is "loading info" and this whole process has been maybe 15min.
Thank you so much Layluna!
Not sure if this helps you or not (as I'm not sure how Sony is involved with your box)
but I didnt lose any of my recorded shows. I am not sure yet about my season passes or stuff I scheduled to record.
I went to "messages and settings" then "settings" then "phone and network" then I think "change phone settings" and then whatever option to get new number. It had me enter my area code then gave me a list. I scrolled down and picked a number (make sure to write down old one) and make sure it is local (out here we have alot of areas in the same area code)
Then I went back one step and hit "connect to tivo". It prepared, connected and everything. right now it is loading info but verrrry slowly. The customer service rep did mention that when everything goes digital it will burn out the motors of our older analog boxes.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
jmbach

Not sure how much digital/analog talk to believe. Almost all phone service now is digitized at some point along the line.

I have Charter phone which is digital but there is no problems running a FAX or MODEM over it. It is because the packets on the voice service has the highest priority and does not have a lot of jitter or delay. If you use a service like Vonage, your internet provider does not have to honor packets tagged as high priority. So packet delay and increased jitter can happen. For voice this is not a problem if packet B arrives before packet A but for a FAX or MODEM this can cause it to drop the connection.

What are they saying about analog/digital. "Burn out the motors (modems?) of our older analog boxes"?!?! What does that mean.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
deviousdelilah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post

What are they saying about analog/digital. "Burn out the motors (modems?) of our older analog boxes"?!?! What does that mean.
Exactly! My phone service is plain old AT&T. I don't have vonage or comcast type phone.
He told me "by the end of the year all phones will be digital and will burn out the motor (or modem) in the older boxes.
Last night changing my dial in number worked but when it was loading the info (after the downloading) it stuck on 90% for a LONG time. All in all it took my box 3 hours to load the info it got after 'connecting to TiVo service ". Maybe that's what he meant about something burning out?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
jmbach

help with connecting to TiVo service

That not burning out anything except your patience. I have ran FAX and MODEMs on at&t BVOIP for years without problems. I had to slow the MODEM baud rate to get a reliable connection but it worked. Nothing will burn out.
Your data load probably took a long time because your guide was almost completely out of data. The following ones should not be as long. Even with broadband, a full data load takes about an hour.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
deviousdelilah

Well thanks for that. Gives me some peace of mind!
Yeah my last successful download had been February 15 so today was going to be the cut off. Really ticks me off that those reps lied to me. I was ready to shell out more money for either internet service or a dvr through my provider.
Neither I can even afford right now.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
unitron

It could be that the CSR said "burn out the modems", as the internal modems on the Series 1 TiVos, both the Philips and Sony models, which are pretty much identical physically once you take the cover off, are notoriously easily damaged by spikes and stuff that other equipment doesn't even notice.

However, an electrical engineering degree doesn't seem to be a job requirement for TiVo CSRs, so sometimes they get stuff they heard somewhere jumbled up with other stuff they heard somewhere, and the results can be painful, frustrating, and hilarious.

As for whether one's land-line telephone is analog or digital, you may have copper wire running to the house with about 50 Volts DC on it and when a call comes in an AC ringing voltage up around 100 V or so may be imposed on top of that, and when you talk or listen, it may put an analog audio signal on the line, but on the other end of that wire running to your house it connects to something somewhere that connects it to the rest of the telephone universe, and from there it may be converted back and forth from analog to digital who knows how many times, and that may interfere with technology that was designed expecting the phone signal to be analog the entire way from your house to wherever another modem connects it to the internet to connect to TiVo's servers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #13
deviousdelilah

I'm afraid to call AT&T and talk to THOSE reps about whether I'm digital or not.
After all that TiVo rep said I WAS with some conviction. Haha!
Right now I'm just happy the dial-in number switch was effective.
This happened once before a long time ago and I took it upon myself to switch numbers.
Should have just done the same thing this time around :/
But yeah I coulda swore he said "motor".
Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousdelilah View Post
I'm afraid to call AT&T and talk to THOSE reps about whether I'm digital or not.
After all that TiVo rep said I WAS with some conviction. Haha!
Right now I'm just happy the dial-in number switch was effective.
This happened once before a long time ago and I took it upon myself to switch numbers.
Should have just done the same thing this time around :/
But yeah I coulda swore he said "motor".
You might want to familiarize yourself with the way to change the modem speed to get it as high as will work reliably now and to be able to slow it down in the future if necessary.

You do that by messing with the dial prefix.

Also, if in the future you have to go to an external modem connected via the jack on the back marked "serial", or if you have to use that jack to connect to a PC and use its internet connection, you'll need to adjust the dial prefix as well.

Keeping a Series 1 running involves a little voodoo sometimes.

At any rate, take the phone cord that plugs in the back of the TiVo and tie a knot in it near the plug on both ends.

This creates an inductance that's not enough to interfere with the frequencies of a regular phone call, even if it's a modem whistling and chirping instead of a person talking, but at the much higher frequency of a spike on the phone line (that could be induced there by lightning so far away you don't even hear it) it creates enough resistance to reduce its strength considerably.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote