TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Tivogre

Minis On Extended WiFi Network...

Hi all.

I wanted to report in on the results of a little experiment I tried that worked out well for me, and may help some others that are having issue running network cables, or getting MOCA working.

I set up an Apple Airport Express in the "Extend A Wireless Network" mode at a location where I wanted a Mini, but couldn't easily get cabling (actually for me, it's a detached garage / workshop on my property).

Once the wireless connection was established back to the main network, I plugged the Mini in to the Airport with a network cable.

I am happy to report that it works PERFECTLY. The Mini has no idea it isn't wired right in to the main router.

While $94 for the Airport isn't CHEAP, it is certainly comparable to other types of network extenders; in my specific situation, there was no way to run cable out there without trenching.

Hopefully, my results will help out some others.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Much cheaper, I use a NETGEAR WNCE4004 N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter/Bridge, works just fine. Bought on sale for $29.99

The router is really the key to getting any Wireless to Ethernet Bridge to perform reliably. In my case it is an ASUS RT-N66U.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
Hi all.

I wanted to report in on the results of a little experiment I tried that worked out well for me, and may help some others that are having issue running network cables, or getting MOCA working.

I set up an Apple Airport Express in the "Extend A Wireless Network" mode at a location where I wanted a Mini, but couldn't easily get cabling (actually for me, it's a detached garage / workshop on my property).

Once the wireless connection was established back to the main network, I plugged the Mini in to the Airport with a network cable.

I am happy to report that it works PERFECTLY. The Mini has no idea it isn't wired right in to the main router.

While $94 for the Airport isn't CHEAP, it is certainly comparable to other types of network extenders; in my specific situation, there was no way to run cable out there without trenching.

Hopefully, my results will help out some others.
I used the exact setup, with an Airport Express, prior to setting my Mini up on MoCA. The results were great.
Currently, my host TiVo Roamio is connected to my home network using an Airport Express. The Mini is connected via MoCA. All works perfectly.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote