TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #451
rgtv65

Yep, ran the Clear & Delete and set up for the 3rd time and everything works and recording as it should.
rgtv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #452
marwatk

Clone regular premiere to XL

My XL (TCD748) drive went belly up on me and I can't find the stock drive. I'm attempting ddrescue but it doesn't look good. I do have a regular Premiere, though. Can I clone the regular premiere's drive and put that in an XL (losing the recordings, of course)? ggieseke seemed to imply that was possible, but I wanted to know if anyone had done it before I pull part the Premiere. Alternatively, does anyone have a virgin XL image?

Thanks!
marwatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #453
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwatk View Post
My XL (TCD748) drive went belly up on me and I can't find the stock drive. I'm attempting ddrescue but it doesn't look good. I do have a regular Premiere, though. Can I clone the regular premiere's drive and put that in an XL (losing the recordings, of course)? ggieseke seemed to imply that was possible, but I wanted to know if anyone had done it before I pull part the Premiere. Alternatively, does anyone have a virgin XL image?

Thanks!
PM sent. The link is to an absolutely virgin 748 image. It was never powered on in the TiVo, so you may even be able to skip the C&DE.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #454
marwatk

Thanks!

I got some horrible clicking about half way through the ddrescue and I can't get anymore out of it. So now I'm using your image. I tried restoring it to a cheapo 3TB drive with a quick restore and got reboot loops. I'm trying again now with a full restore.

Questions:
Any ideas on the reboot loop (quick vs full restore)?
Does it work to restore that image to a larger drive?
If not, will a 2TB be ok? (I have a new WD Red 2TB coming but I want to make sure it will work before I open it)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #455
jmbach

The boot looping is because OS on the virgin image does not support drives over 2TB in size. Once the virgin image gets updated to the latest OS, you can use it in drives over 2TB. If you are wanting to use it on a larger drive, first put the image on a drive no larger than 2TB and let the TiVo update the image. Once it is updated, then you can transfer it to a larger drive.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #456
marwatk

Thanks, that was it! I tried it on an old 1TB and it's good to go. Phew, back up and running.

-Marcus
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #457
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwatk View Post
Questions:
Any ideas on the reboot loop (quick vs full restore)?
Does it work to restore that image to a larger drive?
If not, will a 2TB be ok? (I have a new WD Red 2TB coming but I want to make sure it will work before I open it)
Glad you got it working with jmbach's advice, and thanks for the donation. I crashed early last night.

DvrBARS can only backup 2TB drives or smaller, but it can restore to anything. I used it as the first step in creating my 4TB XL.

The Full restore option is mostly a leftover from early development. If you haven't run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the target drive it can act as a crude write test, but that's about it.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #458
rodnig1

will this work with my thr22-100 directivo???
rodnig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #459
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
My HD in my TCD748000 went out and I can't get a backup off of it. A link to a fresh image would be amazing since I've been trying to fix this for over a week. All I have is a new 3TB drive for it to go on. I assumed I could redo it with the expansion. Is there any way for me to get an image that would allow for the 3TB?

Last edited by ozzy1983 : 02-21-2014 at 03:28 PM.
ozzy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #460
jmbach

The image ggeiseke has is of a virgin 748. If that is the image you have to use then the only way I can think of it working on a 3TB drive in your premiere is to use hdparm on the JMFS cd and permanently (but temporarily) change the visible sector count to a 2TB drive, run it in your premiere to let it update to the latest OS version, then use hdparm again to reset the sector to its natural size and then use JMFS to expand to the full 3TB capacity. (what I meant by permanently changing the sector count is that it has to survive power cycling of the drive.)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #461
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well I would need the image first, but I think I understand what you're saying, and even if I only had 2TB at this point I just need it to work. It's been over a week of working back and forth to try to fix this thing.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #462
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnig1 View Post
will this work with my thr22-100 directivo???
I haven't tested it on a DirecTivo, but it's worth a try.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #463
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1983 View Post
Well I would need the image first, but I think I understand what you're saying, and even if I only had 2TB at this point I just need it to work. It's been over a week of working back and forth to try to fix this thing.
PM sent. You will have to restore it to a 2TB or less drive and let it update before it will boot at all. Once it updates from 14.5 to 20.3.7 or later you can explore further options.

I don't really know the Linux side of things, so if a 3TB drive is your only option you'll have to get jmbach to talk you through hdparm.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #464
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks so much.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #465
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
The image ggeiseke has is of a virgin 748. If that is the image you have to use then the only way I can think of it working on a 3TB drive in your premiere is to use hdparm on the JMFS cd and permanently (but temporarily) change the visible sector count to a 2TB drive, run it in your premiere to let it update to the latest OS version, then use hdparm again to reset the sector to its natural size and then use JMFS to expand to the full 3TB capacity. (what I meant by permanently changing the sector count is that it has to survive power cycling of the drive.)

Could you possibly write out the hdparm commands for that procedure?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #466
jmbach

Quote:
Could you possibly write out the hdparm commands for that procedure?
Sent you a PM for the commands. Let us know how it works for you.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #467
rodnig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I haven't tested it on a DirecTivo, but it's worth a try.
I assume that it would work, but i am trying to go from a 1TB mechanical drive, to a 960GB ssd drive... and im getting the error that the drive is too small. So, i guess it simply wont work for my intended purpose.

Unless anyone out there has a trick that i am not familiar with??
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #468
jmbach

Are you trying to save any recordings?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #469
rodnig1

Quote:
Are you trying to save any recordings?
yes, i was trying to save some recordings. i wonder if i hooked it back into the tivo, and deleted a bunch of stuff that i don't care about then re-imaged it, if that would work.

I also just tried to do the truncated option, and it still said it was too small
Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #470
ggieseke

DvrBARS will only restore to a drive that's at least as big as the drive that was imaged in the first place. It's not related to the number of recordings.

I'm working on a new program that will create an intact MFS filesystem on any size drive and copy everything from the old one, but it's probably months away. Even then, I don't know if downsizing will be worth all the extra code that it would require.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #471
lpwcomp

I have a recent (12/08/2013) backup of a TCD746320 if that would help. it is @3.2GB. Zip is @1.6GB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #472
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
yeah, so trying to turn off those sectors didn't work. I just got the 5 - 10 sec boot loop. So I was so frustrated I called Best Buy and found out I could swap the 3TB for a 2TB since it was less than 15 days since I bought it. However, after a quick restore on the 2TB, an expand using JMFS and a supersize I still got the 5 - 10 sec boot loop. So I'm trying again with a full restore, then boot in the tivo to update, then the expand and supersize.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #473
jmbach

Quote:
yeah, so trying to turn off those sectors didn't work. I just got the 5 - 10 sec boot loop. So I was so frustrated I called Best Buy and found out I could swap the 3TB for a 2TB since it was less than 15 days since I bought it. However, after a quick restore on the 2TB, an expand using JMFS and a supersize I still got the 5 - 10 sec boot loop. So I'm trying again with a full restore, then boot in the tivo to update, then the expand and supersize.
You should not be boot looping. Might want to try redownloading the image.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #474
jmbach

What drive did you get

Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #475
rodnig1

FYI: it does work for the directivo THR22-100. i messed around with another drive, and it appears to have worked fine.

But, i originally had a 1tb installed, and tried it with a new 2TB and wasnt able to get the additional space allocated. Im sure its something i did wrong, so ill mess around a little more and try again
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #476
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

For those who don't want to have (or buy) smaller capacity drives, on their way to getting to larger sizes, there is the hdparm way (hard for some), then the Hitachi Feature Tool way (easy for some):

1. Hard way (for some) Use hdparm (linux utility) to set the drive's HPA (Host Protected Area), in order to make the device the drive is attached to believe it is a smaller size, then shrink (or eliminate) the size of the HPA, as needed. This makes the host device (computer or TiVo) think the drive is whatever size you have set the LBA number to represent. hdparm can be dangerous if not used correctly (a small typo can brick your drive).

2. Easy way (for some) Use Hitachi Feature Tool bootable (DOS-based) bootable floppy, CD, or thumb drive are all options, to just change the LBA number to reflect the drive size you need at each step you need a change (can only be done by changing LBA, not typing in the capacity you want, due to limitations in the program). The LBA number you select needs to be offset by 1 (due to Hitachi FT starting with the first LBA as zero, or one, I forget which way it is offset from the way nearly anything else reads/sets LBA number).

With both methods you want to specify "permanently" (or "persistent"), and each requires a reboot once you set the change (and requires a hard reboot if you change it to a value, apply the change, then realize you got it wrong and need to change it to another value). The change can be reversed/altered later, but you need the permanent/persistent part to make the drive retain the change with a soft and hard reboot.

Words of warning: If you have ever had the drive connected to a computer/host that set a HPA area on the drive, you will notice a discrepancy in the true max LBA and what the drive reports. Please make sure to check for this before moving along to changing things. If you see the drive already has it's visible LBA count reduced, the first step is to check your BIOS for an option like "save backup copy of BIOS to HDD", and disable it, and then make sure that you don't have any backup (or drive/partition management) software installed that makes hidden and protected backups within a HPA the software creates. Paragon, and (I think) Acronis, can be set to do this.

In many cases, you may have to change your BIOS settings to change drive(s) involved to "compatible/legacy mode", or Hitachi FT may not see it (in "AHCI/Windows mode").

I've also learned that disabling automount, within windows, via diskpart, via command prompt, is a good idea when you want to insure Windows doesn't try to alter the drive(s). This helps insure Windows will only acknowledge the drive as being connected (hardware-layer-wise), without prompting you to "initialize" the drive, or it trying to assign drive letters/mount-points/etc. While doing this is usually not necessary, it's still added safety.

You can also purge the cache of mount-points, drive letters, and related mappings for no-longer-attached drives while using diskpart at command prompt. Windows remembers every drive it ever mounted, even if you wipe all traces from the device manager with all hidden devices fully displayed.

As always, don't forget that anything done within windows (and linux) will (most of the time) need to be done with an administrative account and/or elevated privileges.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #477
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You should not be boot looping. Might want to try redownloading the image.
I got a WD Green 2TB. I've now loaded this on multiple drives and it boot loops on all of them. I've downloaded it twice and so I think it's the image. Is there another TDC748000 image out there I could try?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #478
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Because I'll try anything at this point to get this thing running.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #479
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I got a WD Green 2TB. I've now loaded this on multiple drives and it boot loops on all of them. I've downloaded it twice and so I think it's the image. Is there another TDC748000 image out there I could try?
Where does it start rebooting? Welcome screen? A few moments more screen?

It may need WDidle3.exe and disable the Intellipark.

It can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #480
ozzy1983

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Where does it start rebooting? Welcome screen? A few moments more screen?

It may need WDidle3.exe and disable the Intellipark.

It can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD.
It runs for less that 30 seconds with the first "Starting up" screen, then the screen flashes and it starts it again.