TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Justjoshing

Los Angeles Channel list that isn't prohibited by copyright holder

Hi all,
I live in the L.A. area & have extended Time Warner cable at my house. I was excited about getting the Roamio plus so I could dl a bunch of shows to my iPad. Unfortunately, I keep running into the dreaded "restricted by copyright holder" message. The message seems to be more channel oriented than content oriented though. For instance, I can dl brand new Modern Family's from CBS & older ones from KTTV, but not from USA HD. So, I was thinking that we could join together and make a list of L.A. area stations that allow you to dl. So far, I've had good luck with:
PBS
KTTV
CBS
NBC

and others, but I haven't started a comprehensive list yet. Let me know what works & doesn't and I'll put it all together in a new thread. Also, I don't know if the restrictions are the same for Direct TV, FIOS, or other cable systems, so please list your provider.
Justjoshing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
rainwater

With TWC, it will probably be a short list. I'm guessing just your locals (ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
caughey

Rainwater is correct. TWC restricts pretty much everything except the channels you could get over the air with an antenna. So you should be able to transfer KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC, KCAL, KTTV, KCOP, KCET, the various PBS and foreign language local stations, and possibly KDOC and any of the subchannels that TWC carries. But not much else.

FiOS pretty much restricts only HBO and Cinemax. The other premium, "basic cable" and broadcast channels are marked "copy freely."

Search "CCI byte" for more info.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
Rainwater is correct. TWC restricts pretty much everything except the channels you could get over the air with an antenna. So you should be able to transfer KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC, KCAL, KTTV, KCOP, KCET, the various PBS and foreign language local stations, and possibly KDOC and any of the subchannels that TWC carries. But not much else.

FiOS pretty much restricts only HBO and Cinemax. The other premium, "basic cable" and broadcast channels are marked "copy freely."

Search "CCI byte" for more info.
Don't forget all the C-Span channels. Those are usually copy freely too
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Justjoshing

Thanks, but ...

Thanks for the replies but, I was really hoping for somewhat more constructive comments here. As in, exactly which channels work & which don't. And it doesn't have to be limited to TWC, I think all of us would like a comprehensive list.
Justjoshing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjoshing View Post
Thanks for the replies but, I was really hoping for somewhat more constructive comments here. As in, exactly which channels work & which don't. And it doesn't have to be limited to TWC, I think all of us would like a comprehensive list.
It is pretty much impossible since every cable company handles it differently in every area. And every area has different local affilliates. Creating any type of list for more than one specific cable company and city would be a huge under taking..
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
caughey

I thought we were all being quite constructive.

Your TiVo will tell you precisely which channels are copy protected and which are not:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../sno/0#digital
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #8
Series3Sub

CC flags for OTA local broadcasters were ruled beyond the authority of the FCC, upon whom the broadcasters were relying to enforce them with force of law. So, no CC flags for local broadcasters allowed, EVER. All other channels, those exclusively for MVPD's, are subject to CC flags as per agreements between content owners and MVPD's and that changes everyday unique to each MSO in each franchise, meaning it is a constantly, evolving and changing making any "list" obsolete pretty much the moment the list is completed or updated. If the goal is to be "constructive," then spending any amount of time compiling such a list is not. Constructive people are not interested in wasting their time and energy for such a fancifal, if not useless list that is immediately out of date, incorrect because it deals with something dynamic on a daily basis, not static. However, please go ahead and compile such a list, since you seem to have the singular overiding need for one, and let us know how it goes, as others seem uninterested in toiling on your behalf as they have truly "constructive" things to do that provide real benefit. Please take our advice. Now that is "constructive."
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
CC flags for OTA local broadcasters were ruled beyond the authority of the FCC, upon whom the broadcasters were relying to enforce them with force of law. So, no CC flags for local broadcasters allowed, EVER.
That's no longer true, companies can request a waiver to encrypt locals, and it's been approved in at least a few markets, NYC is the big one.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
That's no longer true, companies can request a waiver to encrypt locals, and it's been approved in at least a few markets, NYC is the big one.
While I can't vouch for the "no CC flags for local broadcasters allowed, EVER", you're mixing apples with oranges. It is still possible to encrypt all channels while maintaining copy freely. The CCI-Byte and Encryption are two distinct things.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
While I can't vouch for the "no CC flags for local broadcasters allowed, EVER", you're mixing apples with oranges. It is still possible to encrypt all channels while maintaining copy freely. The CCI-Byte and Encryption are two distinct things.
I don't disagree, but folks mix the terms frequently, I'd have to defer to someone in a market that current runs the waiver to the actual operational results.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
timr_42

Charter in St Louis seems to restrict all pay channels(HBO.SHO...). Everything else seems to be non restricted.

If I need to transfer something off a channel like HBO, just have to do it with my S2. Not ideal, but it works.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
CC flags for OTA local broadcasters were ruled beyond the authority of the FCC, upon whom the broadcasters were relying to enforce them with force of law.
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. It's only the FCC's authority that prevents the cable companies from applying the flag to the OTA channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I have TW in Dallas, and pretty much all channels except broadcast network. Tho I can transfer some shows on E! but not others?

This is why I kept my Series 2 TiVo. It's in the spare room, and only records the series on basic cable ( TNT, TBS, USA,etc...) that I watch, and they get xfered automatically to my PC or laptop
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
bobfrank

If you have Verizon FIOS available in your area you'll find almost nothing copy protected. HBO and the like are.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice

There is a thread attempting to summarize copy protection by region and cable provider:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...opy+protection

If anyone can provide a single example of a TWC system that doesn't copy protect everything except local broadcast stations and CSPAN please post it.
They do it just because they want to (and that is legal too). Although they will try to insinuate they are required to do it by their content programmer agreements.

It's a business decision. If you don't like it go to one of their competitors .... oops!, in most of the TWC-served areas there is no competitor except SATV.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

My Showtime2 isn't copy protected on TW in Dallas. Never noticed that before. I think one other isn't either, maybe showextreme?? can't remember.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I don't disagree, but folks mix the terms frequently, I'd have to defer to someone in a market that current runs the waiver to the actual operational results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Correct. Comcast now encrypts EVERYTHING on my system (they don't have analog at all), but all channels except HBO (and maybe other premiums, but I don't have them) are copy freely, which is the correct way to do it. TWC's implementation is completely wrong, hopefully Comcast will set that straight when they acquire TWC.

TWC's implementation of the copy flag is simply wrong. They are in no way required by any agreement to flag cable channels other than certain premiums like HBO. If it weren't for the fact that Comcast is about to buy them up, and will Xfinity-ize their systems, I would say that TWC should fix their screwed up system, as in areas that they compete with FIOS, they surely lose a few customers.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote