TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
fastoy

TiVo Desktop Plus Transcoding

I'm using TiVo Desktop Plus to send videos from my PC to my TiVo Premiere. The TiVo Desktop Plus web page says:

Supported video formats include:
  • Windows Media Video (.wmv)
  • QuickTime Movie (.mov)
  • MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
  • MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
  • DivX and Xvid (.avi, .divx)*

What I'm trying to accomplish is to encode the videos on my PC so that TiVo Desktop Plus doesn't have to transcode the file on the way to the TiVo Premiere.

What I see now is when I go to my TiVo Premiere and request to transfer a file from my TiVo Desktop Plus PC the transfer begins. But when I go back to my TiVo Desktop Plus PC I see a Windows process running transcoding the file.

Is it possible to avoid this transcode?
fastoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You could stop using TDP and use PyTivo. TDP only "pulls" from the Tivo side. pyTivo can also "push" from the PC side, plus, it can transfer more video types such as .mkv as well as .mpg, .mp4. It also would be better to decrypt .TiVo files to .mpg, that way, videos can be played on any computer without TDP installed on it. TivoDecode does that.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
fastoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You could stop using TDP and use PyTivo. TDP only "pulls" from the Tivo side. pyTivo can also "push" from the PC side, plus, it can transfer more video types such as .mkv as well as .mpg, .mp4. It also would be better to decrypt .TiVo files to .mpg, that way, videos can be played on any computer without TDP installed on it. TivoDecode does that.
Thank you but none of your points are germane to my question.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

PyTivo does not transcode when it pushes and TDP does not have this feature.

~~~~~

Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
fastoy

Quote:
PyTivo does not transcode when it pushes and TDP does not have this feature.
Thank you. That is helpful. I wonder if there is a format that I can transcode into on the PC to avoid the TiVo Desktop Plus transcoding?

I use VideoReDo to decrypt .TiVo files to .mpg. Then I use Pavtube's HD Video Converter to transcode to a format that is compatible with iPhone/iPad and TiVo Desktop Plus.

One of my objectives was to reduce the size of files stored on the TiVo Premiere. I am encoding the videos into MPEG4 640x426 and AAC 48000Hz stereo 96Kbps. This yields 831MB for about 1.5 hours of video on the PC. When I pull it to the TiVo Premiere it reports 3.34GB.

Pavtube's HD Video Converter calls the format I'm using "iPhone MPEG4."

I only do this sporadically and I was trying to avoid the more complicated install of pyTivo.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you like to automate these processes, KMTTG will do these things, Decrypt (TivoDecode or VRD), Quickstream fix, encode to various devices (ipad, iphone, etc.) , even push to a Tivo.

I think video of 1080i/p is about 1280x1080 with AC3 audio, on a typical Tivo.

~~~~~

Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
PyTivo does not transcode when it pushes
pyTivo can transcode when it pushes. The difference is that the TiVo accepts more formats in pushes, so it's less often necessary to transcode.

Quote:
and TDP does not have this feature.
Well, pyTivo's push is based partly on TiVo Desktop's auto-transfer folders. But there are differences in their capabilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
Thank you. That is helpful. I wonder if there is a format that I can transcode into on the PC to avoid the TiVo Desktop Plus transcoding?
TTBOMK, TiVo Desktop will only transfer MPEG2 program streams without conversion, except within .TiVo files. If you could create a fake .TiVo file with an h.264 transport stream, I think TD could handle it. But it would probably be easier to set up pyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
fastoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
TTBOMK, TiVo Desktop will only transfer MPEG2 program streams without conversion, except within .TiVo files. If you could create a fake .TiVo file with an h.264 transport stream, I think TD could handle it. But it would probably be easier to set up pyTivo.
Thanks. I'll just modify my process slightly. I already create a clean MPEG2 file using VideoReDo. I'll just pull that from TiVo Desktop Plus to my TiVo Premiere. Obviously transcoding to reduce transfer size doesn't benefit me.

I'll still transcode to make an iPhone/iPad version.